Thread: Reissued Skyscraper

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-09-2014 @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Question Reissued Skyscraper

Wow man, it's been a while since I've been able to be on here due to techie issues. Anyway...

I just found out that there is a CD reissue of "Skyscraper" out there (I saw it on the Canadian and UK branches of Amazon) which has "California Girls" and "Gigolo" added as the opening two tracks to the rest of the album.

So I was wondering, do any of you guys happen to know if this reissue has anything different or unique about the CD artwork added to it that the original USA release did not have? Maybe a picture on the actual CD, added photos to the booklet, etc.? Heck, maybe it's remastered?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wolf View Post
    Wow man, it's been a while since I've been able to be on here due to techie issues. Anyway...

I just found out that there is a CD reissue of "Skyscraper" out there (I saw it on the Canadian and UK branches of Amazon) which has "California Girls" and "Gigolo" added as the opening two tracks to the rest of the album.

So I was wondering, do any of you guys happen to know if this reissue has anything different or unique about the CD artwork added to it that the original USA release did not have? Maybe a picture on the actual CD, added photos to the booklet, etc.? Heck, maybe it's remastered?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Checking.....I think that it is a bit new....sounds like someone with the rights still fiddling.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-07-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: In other words I am talking out my ass until I find.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

... coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the displays that you used to see in stores like Tower Records, and there was a pic of an in-store Skyscraper wall display ...

4. 3 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (09-09-2014),DONNIEP (09-07-2014),PETE'S BROTHER (09-08-2014)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Checking.....I think that it is a bit new....sounds like someone with the rights still fiddling.
    Probably came out around the time ADKOT did. Warner Bros. cashing in on renewed interest...

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Okay. In case it helps, here's where I found the actual links. Here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...w_bottom_links

and here:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...w_bottom_links

I also noticed that this "CD Reissue" track listing is also listed on Wikipedia too.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    ... coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the displays that you used to see in stores like Tower Records, and there was a pic of an in-store Skyscraper wall display ...

Now THAT is awesome. Brings back memories.

Wasn't it the Hollywood Tower Records that Dave did his big outside stunt on for the album's release? Can't recall off the bat.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

That's a great article. We had a Tower Records in Charlotte and you'd drive by and see all these amazing pieces of art across the front of the building. I had no idea there were people working just for that store to make the art.

When I was a kid/young teenager we had two record stores in our local mall so I didn't go to Tower. We went to Camelot and The Record Bar. Most of their signage/displays were probably just corporate stuff from the labels but they were still cool stores. The dudes that worked there knew their shit. They kept up with when so and so was gonna be in town next, what records were coming out, all this stuff. You could walk up to the dude behind the counter and ask a question and it was like talking to some kind of music genie cause he could spit out whatever you wanted to know. And they'd put on a record if you wanted to listen to it to hear some new stuff or whatever. Had the turntable right there behind the counter so they could just swap it out. Nowadays you go into Best Buy or God for bid Walmart and just get your little shrink wrapped plastic piece of shit and pay some kid who probably isn't even sure how a CD works.

Too bad we don't have those stores anymore. Now you just download it or rush in and out of Big Box Hell to get your copy. I miss the old days of hanging out in the store, flipping thru the records, looking at the magazines, just hangin. And the people in the store didn't want you to hurry up - hell, the damn place was called The Record Bar - they wanted people to hang out.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    There was something about those record stores. Not only was the art cool. The whole atmosphere was cool. The people who worked in them could always tip you off on what bands were playing in the regional area and when and where.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, tell me about it! There are practically no record stores around anymore, you pretty much have to buy just about everything online - and I hate that, I miss being able to go to a record store, hang out, browse, relax and actually look at the condition of what you're buying in your own hands before paying.

Oh, while I'm at it, I just called Barnes & Noble, they say they can order that 12-track CD, it was apparently reissued in 2009.

11. Thanked David Wolf for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-08-2014)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not remotely interested in a "remaster" of Skycrapper, unless it's the original master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have, with a lot less synthesizer cheese on it.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Nowadays you go into Best Buy or God for bid Walmart and just get your little shrink wrapped plastic piece of shit and pay some kid who probably isn't even sure how a CD works.
    Or how about when you talk to them about record players, or "turntables", and they insist that those "things" exist supposedly only for people who do rap? Had that happen.

I got to visit Amoeba Records recently, thought to myself, "Oh YEAH, FINALLY, a REAL music store!" Never had the chance to go there before... but I was disappointed because the little kiddie staff were so damn rude, lazy and didn't want to do their job. Not the same at all.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I bought that Skyscraper issue with California Girls Just a Gigolo as opening tracks between 1995 and 1998 at Tower Records in London - it isn't remastered stuff (unfortunately), and I can't say if there's anything more than in the other issue. No inside pics, just the lyrics.
    I'd rather listen to my vinyle copy anyway.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    I bought that Skyscraper issue with California Girls Just a Gigolo as opening tracks between 1995 and 1998 at Tower Records in London - it isn't remastered stuff (unfortunately), and I can't say if there's anything more than in the other issue. No inside pics, just the lyrics.
    I'd rather listen to my vinyle copy anyway.
    same here...got that CD in addition to the vinyls for the car back then and found it cool to have Gigolo and California Girls, too...never listen to skyscraper these days...for me still the lowpoint of Dave's album record...I'd rather listen to Diamond Dave than to skyscraper...

Thread Information