Thread: An hour and a half of the Panama Behind the Scenes footage

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2016 @ 07:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

An hour and a half of the Panama Behind the Scenes footage

Every now and then I scour the internet on the hunt for any new van halen footage someone has decided to release and came across an hour 30 of the behind the scenes footage for Panama. Seen a few clips from it before but never this much before. Still no audio but still fun to check out! That clip of Dave and Ed chilling by the plane is BADASS. Man the original 4. PHENOMENAL....I hope the "secret project" is a 1984 blu-ray complete with a documentary...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-09-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 5 users say thank you to Droomer5150 for this KICKASS post:

CreatureFrmTheC (09-18-2014),DLR Bridge (09-10-2014),Jérôme Frenchise (09-08-2014),katina (09-12-2014),SunisinuS (09-09-2014)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also a full video of the US Festival press conference http://historicfilms.com/z9uk. Looks like they might have master quality videos from the US Festival too.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Tremendous! The songs greatly compensate for absence of audio.

Thanx!

Both vids to be watched quickly, before they're deleted...

The US Fest press conference clip is a bit disppointing as there are quite a lot of peeps,
    and the Clash guy (who looks pissed as fuck) talks a bit too much.
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

That outfit has the entire show from the US Fest. And they have other videos too, can't remember which. They actually had some of the VH vids up on youtube for a couple weeks then they took them down.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Tremendous! The songs greatly compensate for absence of audio.

Thanx!

Both vids to be watched quickly, before they're deleted...

The US Fest press conference clip is a bit disppointing as there are quite a lot of peeps,
    and the Clash guy (who looks pissed as fuck) talks a bit too much.
    Ah the Clash dude was the typical pissed off British punk of the day. Dave couldn't shut up. Waylon Jennings looked pale as a ghost. Basically serious people trying to organize a huge festival and make sure they did everything right and the fuck ups they hired for talent. LOL! You need the fuckups to entertain us and then the serious people that nobody cares about behind the scenes making sure there is going to be anything to see and do in the first place. Interesting enough, most these festivals were always a financial bomb. Woz seemed to think. Ok. We are going to do this again. We lost our shirt last time but let's make sure everything is done right and if we lose our shirts again well we won't be doing anymore but at least we had a good time.

7. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-08-2014)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That Youtube channel also posted a pretty good quality video of the full Montreal 84 show too.

Yeah Dave seems rather reserved for once, maybe this was right after his Amazonian escapades haha

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The Clash did have a valid reason to be pissed. The US Festival was three days, and each day had a headliner. Van Halen & David Bowie each got $1 million for the gig, The Clash only got $500,000. Still not a bad paycheck for a single show in those days, but it's understandable how they might have felt a little slighted, considering Combat Rock probably sold as well as Let's Dance or Diver Down.

The situation within the band itself probably had a lot to do with their anger though. The US Festival would end up being The Clash's last show ever, and even by then, they had already lost their best drummer, Topper Headon, and their second best, Terry Chimes (who played on their first album and then returned for the 1982 tour with The Who, after Topper had to leave the band due to substance problems)

Yeah, Joe Strummer did another album & tour with a bunch of scabs, but I don't count that. And in the long run, neither did he.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I can't believe anybody bought a Clash record.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I can't believe I bought "Cut The Crap".

But now, to remove that horrid thought from the space between my horns, here's some REAL Clash......

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    The Clash did have a valid reason to be pissed. The US Festival was three days, and each day had a headliner. Van Halen & David Bowie each got $1 million for the gig, The Clash only got $500,000. Still not a bad paycheck for a single show in those days, but it's understandable how they might have felt a little slighted, considering Combat Rock probably sold as well as Let's Dance or Diver Down.

The situation within the band itself probably had a lot to do with their anger though. The US Festival would end up being The Clash's last show ever, and even by then, they had already lost their best drummer, Topper Headon, and their second best, Terry Chimes (who played on their first album and then returned for the 1982 tour with The Who, after Topper had to leave the band due to substance problems)

Yeah, Joe Strummer did another album & tour with a bunch of scabs, but I don't count that. And in the long run, neither did he.
    Aways best to keep what you got paid a secret. Pay is based on lots of things and it's often negotiated. Once someone blabs and people find out they all aren't being paid the same all hell breaks loose.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I can't believe anybody bought a Clash record.
    "This is real whiskey here. The only people to put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash bay bee!" Now we know what inspired that little outburst. Just Dave pissing all over another bunch of cry babies.

14. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-08-2014)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Clash did have a valid reason to be pissed. The US Festival was three days, and each day had a headliner. Van Halen & David Bowie each got $1 million for the gig, The Clash only got $500,000. Still not a bad paycheck for a single show in those days, but it's understandable how they might have felt a little slighted, considering Combat Rock probably sold as well as Let's Dance or Diver Down..
    I was just across the freeway from Glenn Hellen on saturday night and heard the Clash talking shit about Van Halen but we just assumed it was the typical we're punks so we gotta talk shit bullshit. I heard the same shit from Bob Geldof about Aerosmith at the Cal World Music Fest in 79. Van Halen was there too but Aerosmith was an established headliner and VH was on their first headlining tour. They could have picked Ted Nugent to bitch about but they were probably afraid he'd shoot them if they did.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    "This is real whiskey here. The only people to put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash bay bee!" Now we know what inspired that little outburst. Just Dave pissing all over another bunch of cry babies.
    If they had been drinking ice tea instead of Jack they might have gotten to the stage a little earlier and not been so sloppy. I didn't think they were sloppy that night but years of hearing they were here has convinced me I was too tired and stoned to notice while I was there.

17. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (09-09-2014)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

I can't believe I bought "Cut The Crap".

But now, to remove that horrid thought from the space between my horns, here's some REAL Clash......

I remember the "Quick Takes" review in Musician magazine: "Cut The Crap? How about Pull The Plug?"

That Panama footage is on a DVD. Pretty sure I have it somewhere.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    If they had been drinking ice tea instead of Jack they might have gotten to the stage a little earlier and not been so sloppy. I didn't think they were sloppy that night but years of hearing they were here has convinced me I was too tired and stoned to notice while I was there.
    Dude. I was too far from the stage and too burned to notice. At least we can say we were there. It was a long day. Heck it was a long day just getting to the thing. I'm glad someone released footage of the show. That way I got to finally see it. LOL!

20. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-08-2014),SunisinuS (09-09-2014)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I was there....at a houseparty in the hills....lol we were sloppy also...most forgettable thing was the clash....well lol I barely remember the evening...but from Matt's house we heard the whole thing for free. So Cal baby. Fuck we had a huge deck and mixed drinks....we partied above the whole thing....and Matt's parents also had a fucking sweet mobile home placed in Laguna that we could surf from all day...man as I think about it...I hope that guy got himself a good wife and kept his wealth....as we always thank his parents as well as him when we partied at Matts'. Haven't talked to him in 30 years.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-09-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Thanks changed to Thank. It's the Negro in me that says thanks. Thanks for reading. R.I.F.

22. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (09-09-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    We were there for only Heavy Metal Day. It was the first time I saw Motely Crue. They were pretty good. The Scorpions put on a good show. By the time Van Halen rolled out we all were pretty baked. Hell Dave got baked waiting around there all day. LOL!

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Droomer5150 (09-10-2014)

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sweet find! I can't decide which I enjoy more...listening to the music or watching the clips!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Droomer5150 View Post

Every now and then I scour the internet on the hunt for any new van halen footage someone has decided to release and came across an hour 30 of the behind the scenes footage for Panama.
    Every now and then I see my dentist who likes to keep his office up to date from repainting the walls from time to time. I only bring that up because watching paint dry in his office is far more exciting than that crap.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Every now and then I see my dentist who likes to keep his office up to date from repainting the walls from time to time. I only bring that up because watching paint dry in his office is far more exciting than that crap.
    Hahaha why are you here? Most posts from you I've seen you don't even seem to like Roth or Van Halen. Do you enjoy the dentist? Does the dentist enjoy cleaning your teeth?

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Sweet find! I can't decide which I enjoy more...listening to the music or watching the clips!
    It's like a Van Halenized silent film, cool seeing where that double guitar video originated from. They're like THE definition of rockstar here. Awesome.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Hahaha why are you here? Most posts from you I've seen you don't even seem to like Roth or Van Halen. Do you enjoy the dentist? Does the dentist enjoy cleaning your teeth?
    Yes. My dentist drill sounds better than Eddie's solos.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Yes. My dentist drill sounds better than Eddie's solos.
    Does it sound better than Eddies drill though? Eddies drill has stripes

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Does it sound better than Eddies drill though?
    It's not the sound she's into, it's the pain it inflicts.

Spotlight, asshole !
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-21-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That Youtube channel also posted a pretty good quality video of the full Montreal 84 show too.

Yeah Dave seems rather reserved for once, maybe this was right after his Amazonian escapades haha
    In CFTH he tells of coming down with a bug that just about killed him a week or so before he was out of the jungle and at US Fest
    Last edited by Edwards3rdWife; 09-12-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Misspell

33. Thanked Edwards3rdWife for this KICKASS post:

Droomer5150 (09-12-2014)

bum in the sun
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2016 @ 02:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Less than 10 seconds of the footage was used in the video. I sure got a kick watching a hour and a half of it though.

Thread Information