Thread: DLR 1988-07-13 Madison Square Garden, NYC (CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.23)

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2023 @ 02:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

DLR 1988-07-13 Madison Square Garden, NYC (CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.23)

I don't post here often, but since I am authoring a lot of DLR shows, I thought I'd start a thread for each DVD. These are all never before released shows, and generally speaking, very good quality (for the era) video and filming. The bit about Oprah Winfrey (mentioned in the description below) is absolute classic DLR and really funny. I won't give it away, but it's some really funny shit, and as far as I know, it wasn't part of the routine and was something Dave only said once.

The 1988-07-13 MSG show is available at Dime or if you don't do torrents, you can PM me and I'll send you dropbox links. I would publish them here in the thread, but only so many gigabytes a day are allowed for download.

David Lee Roth
    Madison Square Garden
    New York, New York
    July 13, 1988
    CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.23

video: (CBG) Ricoh R-600 (same specs as Sony CCD-V5) 8mm camcorder (w/ 2X teleconverter lens) master 8mm analog tape; NTSC, 4:3 PAR, 29.97 fps; transferred to harddrive via a firewire using a Sony TRV-330 8mm digital camera w/ Time Base Correction; video capture, editing, and 2-pass VBR encoding done with Sony Vegas Pro 12 at 8.2K max, 8.0K avg, 1K min (both disks); authored to DVD in Sony DVD Architect Pro 6.

audio: (L. Franco) unknown recording equipment; LPCM 1536 bit.

All video editing, audio synching and DVD authoring by Silver Stallion.

full show - running time 1hr 36 mins

disk 1 (47 mins)
    1. The Bottom Line
    2. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    3. Just Like Paradise
    4. Knucklebones
    5. Easy Street
    6. Hot For Teacher
    7. Hot Dog and A Shake
    8. Steve Vai guitar solo
    9. Skyscraper

disk 2 (49 mins)
    1. Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
    2. Goin' Crazy!
    3. steel drum solo
    4. Yankee Rose
    5. instrumental
    6. Panama
    7. California Girls
    8. You Really Got Me
    9. Jump

I only have one request, that you don't take these files and post them on other torrent sites. I have many shows to upload. I will upload, let them get seeded by others and after a majority have downloaded the files completely, remove my files so I can seed something new. I prefer to manage my own shows on DIME and The Traders Den. I will upload to other sites when I wish to for select shows. Thanks for honoring my wishes in advance.

This is “CBG Classic Master Video Series Vol.23”.

Welcome to Madi - Son, a place that Kicks Ass!! Every time I have seen David Lee Roth, it always seemed like the NYC show was one of his best, that he definitely exceeds his normal onstage persona to add in a few more jokes, give a few more kicks, and have a little more energy. Why not, this is Madison Square Garden! The World’s Most Famous Arena. As I have said before, and I will use a quote from David at the 1-15-87 DL Roth show at Brenden Byrne Arena, “This is what back by popular demand Looks like!”. The northeast was getting another swing through the area by the Roth tour in the summer after being around in March and April. I was skeptical about going to some of the other arenas in the northeast earlier in the year, but after a lot of success in first tries in some of those, I was venturing out to other venues. David was playing MSG and I had to go attempt it. Wearing a lined jean jacket that was more of a winter coat was not what anyone was doing in July in Manhattan. (in retrospect, I was a dumb ass). I would have thought that I would have stood out in the crowd more wearing that coat as someone that needed to be searched, but no. Walked right in with the camera strapped on my back. I was sweating profusely in the sleeves and dripping from the forehead just from the heat and having to wear that damn jacket into the arena, but no search! This was the first show where I decided after the Van Halen Monsters of Rock show at Giants Stadium to buy and use a different 2X teleconverter lens instead of the one I had previously used that didn’t seem to focus sharp enough when zoomed in all the way (or should I say noticeably didn’t focus sharp enough when zoomed in). The new lens was a smaller diameter and seemed to be sharper in tests in my house. This was the live show test. It was never going to be like not putting an additional lens over the camera lens, but I thought this could perform better and it did.

I also went closer in this show and filmed in the 200’s, halfway up on the side of the arena. MSG has the Loge, then 100's, 200's, 300's and up top the 400's. That was risky as there were walkways behind me and in front of me and only like 8 rows of seats. But there was like a tucked in 50 yard line nook that I was able to take and no one came for it. Perfect position. Everyone stood for the whole show too, so I was blocked and tucked in where ushers didn’t really have a line of sight to me. Well, I believe I improved one situation with the lens change, but when I got home, I discovered another issue. This time, for the first time, there was a sound issue. The volume was very low and it would pop in and out. I thought something was wrong with the camera but it turned out to be the external mic. I tested it at home the next day and then did another show with it a few days later and the issue was even worse with the sound. So I scrapped the mic and bought a new one. There must have been a short in the cord. Fortunately I brought my WM-D6C also into that next show and got an analog audio that was really good. So I went from lens issues to sound issues. Back then, I thought that the MSG show was toast with the messed up sound. For a long time. But a few years later I met a friend that told me he taped that MSG show but it was on his very first deck and was ok quality. He gave it to me then and I put it away. I wasn't able to synch it with the analog cassette to the analog video at the time because it played at a different speed and it was so noticable within one song how bad it matched. So I kept it and then technology caught up. On a computer you can stretch and squeeze the sound span slightly throughout the show and that is what we did to synch it up. Thanks to Silver Stallion for resurecting this show from the dead. Now there is sound in time with the video.

As for the show, David was in high energy form, of course, it was NYC and MSG. This was definitely the high point show of the set in the summer. One real funny part this night and was only in this show, was when David was messing with Steve Vai in Easy Street and he brought up Oprah in the rap, then he started walking funny like a very overweight Oprah…just classic in the media capital of NYC. This show doesn’t make up for not being able to film the 1986 show at MSG, but it was a nice addition to the collection, especially that after years, an alternate audio that my good friend gave me could be used to make the show complete for listening and seeing pleasure. Enjoy Diamond Dave in Madi-Son, A place that Kicks Ass!! CBG5150 Posted to DIME 2014-09-12.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 5 users say thank you to guitard for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-13-2014),Cato (09-13-2014),DLR Bridge (09-13-2014),VAiN (09-13-2014),vandeleur (09-13-2014)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-10-2021 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    thanks!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information