FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cyclists have quit doping...

... it seems they've found something harmless for health. It was filmed in the beginning of this month in Spain, during the "Vuelta".

Here's the cyclist's reaction after the race:

His back wheel is still turning very strangely anyway.
    I suppose there must be some bike controls after races. But if they're as successful as antidoping controls are...
    I don't see why they would recognize they use engines more than they did about doping.

That said, cycling is far from being the only sport in which athletes are loaded of course.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...-vuelta-espana

UCI investigated allegations Ryder Hesjedal used a ‘motorised’ bike

Thursday 4 September 2014 22.20 BST

The UCI looked into claims that Garmin-Sharp's Ryder Hesjedal used a motorised
    bike at the Vuelta a España. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

The UCI has investigated allegations that Ryder Hesjedal used a motorised bike after video footage emerged which seemed to show the Garmin-Sharp rider’s wheel moving by itself following a crash at the Vuelta a España.

The Canadian was involved in a crash on stage seven of the race last Friday, with a clip later emerging of his bike’s back wheel still spinning despite coming to a halt.

The French newspaper L’Equipe was one of several media organisations to question whether any foul play had taken place, although the Garmin-Sharp sports director, Bingen Fernandez, later denied that any rules had been broken.

“Apparently they got a lot of messages from the public, so they had to come and investigate,” Fernandez said.

“They came this morning and said that they had to look at the bikes. I think they were almost embarrassed, but they came along and had a look anyway.”

The UCI uses X-ray machines to scan bikes to detect any hidden motors. The Swiss rider Fabian Cancellara was accused of having a motor hidden in his bike to win the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix in 2010.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Pick up one of those road race bikes. They are very light. The back wheel spinning from going down the road could easily move the bike around like that. A heavier bike would have stopped sooner due to the increased friction. To gain speed you sacrifice the contact the tire has on the road and sometimes the bike tires lose their grip and you go down. I had a road bike go out from underneath me just going over some reflective paint in the road. It was like hitting ice. The bike just lost it's grip on the road and I was down.

To get the kind of torque needed to assist a bike to be an advantage would require a pretty large motor. Also to run it you would need batteries. The motor and batteries probably would add enough weight to counter act any advantage they would give. Unless the dude had back engineered alien technology from Area 51 in his bike I doubt he had a motor on it.

Man is the press getting stupid these days.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-14-2014)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

God damn the press is getting stupid. Do you know what's weird? I stop pedaling the crank but my wheel continues to spin. Golly! That's because it's a freewheel not a fixed gear. The racers in that video are not using fixed gear. Why did I waste my time here?

Thread Information