• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

To Vape or not to Vape

Your thoughts? Pros and cons?

I have never smoked a tobacco cigarette in my life. I twice tried a clove cigarette and quickly quit that habit, went home and gave myself 13 lashings with a switch.

I will go out on a limb here and suggest George Lucas invented the vaporizer in 1976 with Star Wars.

I was 6 years old and bought cigarettes a number of times... for my stepdad who sent me to 7-Eleven with a note.

Ok I will preface my strong opinions with this fact: our free country continues to impose suffocating (I know, the irony) restrictions on smokers.

My opinions:

I hate cigarette smoke. But there is something special about playing on stage and smelling your mate's cigarette as he's playing his instrument.

Too bad you started smoking. I hope your health insurance costs increase so mine don't have to.

Smokers who throw their cigarette butts anywhere but the ashtray or trash are assholes plain and simple. I see that shit on the streets, sidewalks, beaches, ski slopes, hiking trails. Fuck you!

Thank you for vaping so I don't have to smell the smoke.

If you use a vaporizer you look ridiculous. You look like a fiend. Smoke a cigarette and look tough.

A friend once posted on Facebook "heading down to the Vape shop to pick up some new gear." Wow that's great, I think I will unfriend you once I figure out how.

Health regulations and vaping in public? This is the new debate. Sort of funny.
    Last edited by Mushroom; 09-16-2014, 02:38 AM.
  • cadaverdog
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Aug 2007

I don't smoke and I don't vape. The first time I smoked a cigarette I ended up with a eye like Rocky Baboa in the first Rocky movie. My little League coach hit a pop fly to me and I lost it in the sun. Ball hit me right in the eye. If I hadn't been so dizzy from smoking a Kool I stole from my dad before practice it never would have happened. I think the reason some people are against vaping is because of those commercials where they're trying to convince people they'd look cool vaping instead of pushing vaping as a way to help quit smoking. I have no problem with people smoking in bars and clubs but I'm glad people aren't allowed to smoke in restaraunts here anymore. I don't like to smell cigar or cigarette smoke while I'm trying to eat.
    Beware of Dog

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If you smoke... I would highly recommend you consider switching to vaping. It's a significant reduction in harm and the vapor has been shown in recent studies to be 700 times less harmful than smoke from combustion of tobacco. It's not 100% safe but the reduced health risks can not be denied. Smoke from burning cigarettes contains somewhere between 2000-4000 chemicals... many known carcinogens. E-juice contains 4-5 chemicals with no known carcinogens.

I've been 100% smoke/tobacco free for 20 months after having smoked for almost 40 years due to vaping. I tried quitting by every possible means with the exception of taking drugs like Chantix... patches, gum, cold turkey, cessation programs... none of that worked. The day I started vaping I smoked 1 cigarette and haven't touched one since. I've also reduced my nicotine intake from 24mg per ml down to 4mg per ml.

I started with the ones that look like cigarettes... but they are inferior in battery life and vapor delivery. I moved up to rechargeable battery units with Variable Voltage/Wattage which a single battery will last all day. I use refillable tanks that I can rebuild the heating coils. I now mix my own e-juice so I know 100% what's in it. The cost is about 20% of what I used to waste on tobacco.

Most of the public health debate is bullshit... several recent peer reviewed scientific studies have shown no risk to the public from 2nd hand vape. Most of the crap being published on health concerns from the CDC, World Health Org (WHO), American Lung Association, American Heart Association are really starting to stink to high heaven... their claimed health concerns are not scientific based and mostly bullshit fear mongering. Then when you start to follow the money it becomes clear what's motivating these so called health organization to outright lie... Big Pharmaceutical outfits are trying to protect their interests in NRT's (patches, gum, etc) and Big Tobacco settlements and tax revenue that funds huge portions of these health organizations is at risk...

It's sad... they'd rather protect their revenue stream and keep people smoking than encourage use of a product that is proven to be about 98% less harmful and could significantly reduce the health impacts from smoking tobacco.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Cigarettes make you cool - and gay.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
          I hate cigarette smoke. But there is something special about playing on stage and smelling your mate's cigarette as he's playing his instrument.

I know what you mean. That failed musician smell.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

"Vapers" have that collected look, it's weird.

Tobacco is fucking hard to give up - I've been personnally hooked on Player's for 28 years -,
            why set on another addiction with "vaping"?
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Tobacco is fucking hard to give up - I've been personnally hooked on Player's for 28 years -,
              It's what you want to do with it. You can get your nicotine fix or you can systematically wing yourself off of it. Vaping is just a resistor heating up water and producing steam. You can add whatever else you want to the juice. Since most people's retirement funds usually include tobacco stocks and tobacco is a substantial tax revenue for governments get ready to see vaping come under fire by various organizations and the government. The bottom line is the powers that be secretly want people to still smoke the cancer sticks.
              Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I don't smoke and I don't vape. The first time I smoked a cigarette I ended up with a eye like Rocky Baboa in the first Rocky movie. My little League coach hit a pop fly to me and I lost it in the sun. Ball hit me right in the eye. If I hadn't been so dizzy from smoking a Kool I stole from my dad before practice it never would have happened. I think the reason some people are against vaping is because of those commercials where they're trying to convince people they'd look cool vaping instead of pushing vaping as a way to help quit smoking. I have no problem with people smoking in bars and clubs but I'm glad people aren't allowed to smoke in restaraunts here anymore. I don't like to smell cigar or cigarette smoke while I'm trying to eat.
                I will smoke a cigar every now and then. I only smoke expensive ones so it's kind of like opening an expensive bottle of wine. You don't drink it everyday. I've never had the urge to run down to the gas station and buy a pack of cigarettes and start puffing away. I can count how many cigars I smoke in a year on both hands.

I kind of miss cigarette smoke actually. The smoke covered up the other smells. LOL! We had a neighbor who smoked cherry pipe tobacco. It made you want to hang around because the stuff smelled so good. Remember going into the cafes and pancake houses when you were a kid? There was that smell of coffee, bacon, sausage, and eggs cooking and cigarettes. It was the classic morning breakfast smell and you don't smell it anymore.

I don't know why we want to prolong our lives. I have a friend who manages an assisted living home. Medical technology prolongs people's lives but usually their minds start to go. They become a burdon on the family. You visit these homes and it's just a holding place for old people out of their minds ready to die. Yeah they got the extra years but is it a quality life? Hell. Enjoy the cigarettes, they might just make you miss the living hell called an assisted living home. Better to drop dead from a heart attack than to be stuck in adult diapers and pissing in a bag for ten years.
                Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't know how much healthier vaping is for tobacco addicts, but as a non smoker, it's definitely healthier for ME not to breathe any second hand carcinogens. So on that basis alone, I endorse it.

Of course vaping isn't just for tobacco derivatives.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

In Colorado, vaping weed in public can get you arrested.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      In Colorado, vaping weed in public can get you arrested.
                      It can in Washington too, so I'm not really sure that ad is all that realistic in the scenarios it portrays. Hell, the laws here are so fucked up that they can be interpreted to say that you have to be on property that you OWN to get high, meaning that renters are out of luck entirely.

Of course I have yet to read of any cops actually trying to endorse that part of the law yet. Generally I think the law enforcement consensus around here now is, unless you have a crowd of people blocking the street while passing a bong around, they don't give a shit about stoners anymore, and they can get back to speed traps as their primary method of funding themselves.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

I didn't know you could vape weed. I saw some youngsters vaping something at the park while I was shooting hoops the other day and I suspected they were getting stoned but I wasn't sure. I use a sneak a toke if I'm smoking in public.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

I wouldn't call it "another" addiction unless you are going duel usage smoking and vaping... I view it primarily changing to a different delivery system with significantly less health risk.

Actually, due to vaping, scientific studies are now questioning if nicotine is actually as addictive as it's been made out to be.

Prior to just the last few years... nicotine studies have all been done as a result of tobacco use. There have been few scientific studies of nicotine use without tobacco involved in either smokeless or smoked. The findings show significantly less addictive indications compared to tobacco based studies... Further studies are under way but there are signs that tobacco-specific nitrosamines may play a more dominant role in tobacco addiction than nicotine alone.

In question also was the known practice by tobacco companies treating tobacco with formaldehyde and ammonia which alters nicotine molecules to make them easier absorbed directly into the blood stream in humans. These chemicals do not exist in the liquid nicotine used in e-cigarettes.
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            It can in Washington too, so I'm not really sure that ad is all that realistic in the scenarios it portrays. Hell, the laws here are so fucked up that they can be interpreted to say that you have to be on property that you OWN to get high, meaning that renters are out of luck entirely.

Of course I have yet to read of any cops actually trying to endorse that part of the law yet. Generally I think the law enforcement consensus around here now is, unless you have a crowd of people blocking the street while passing a bong around, they don't give a shit about stoners anymore, and they can get back to speed traps as their primary method of funding themselves.
                            My understanding that lies with the landlord's discretion. If the landlord doesn't agree with a tenet smoking weed they do have the right to evict. It is at that point the police do become involved - if the tenet refuses to leave.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              I wouldn't call it "another" addiction unless you are going duel usage smoking and vaping... I view it primarily changing to a different delivery system with significantly less health risk.

Actually, due to vaping, scientific studies are now questioning if nicotine is actually as addictive as it's been made out to be.

Prior to just the last few years... nicotine studies have all been done as a result of tobacco use. There have been few scientific studies of nicotine use without tobacco involved in either smokeless or smoked. The findings show significantly less addictive indications compared to tobacco based studies... Further studies are under way but there are signs that tobacco-specific nitrosamines may play a more dominant role in tobacco addiction than nicotine alone.

In question also was the known practice by tobacco companies treating tobacco with formaldehyde and ammonia which alters nicotine molecules to make them easier absorbed directly into the blood stream in humans. These chemicals do not exist in the liquid nicotine used in e-cigarettes.
                              The addiction seems to be dependent on the person. Some people might be addicted to nicotine like a heroin addict but some people aren't. Like I said, I have a cigar every blue moon. I'm fine with that. It's not like because I smoked a cigar that I have to run down to the gas station for a pack of Camels to feed my fix.

It's just fun to have a big obscene steak dinner old school with all the so called bad stuff, drink some scotch or rum and puff on the stogies.

Comment

Working...