Are we seriously never getting a 2008 DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I think Van Halen needs to do what the Stones did and release their archives on line. Only they need to release the REAL files in the US and not force us to download from pirate sites like the Stones did by limiting US downloads to shitty MP3 files.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      I think Van Halen needs to do what the Stones did and release their archives on line.
      Online is fine, so long as they release it on DVD too. You gotta keep in mind that a hell of a lot of 40 year old + fans don't wanna sit in front of a computer OR screw around with logging in on their TVs to watch this stuff. They want to pull it out, stick it in, and enjoy it. So they need to put it out on DVD.

I know a lot of people think maybe some day Wolfie will "cash in" and release the stuff. Who the fuck is he gonna release it to? All the original fans will pretty much be old as hell or dead. Maybe he'll release it to the younger generation that bought the living hell out of the last record. Because the younger kids bought the record in, well, record numbers. Right?

IF they put out a DVD/CD box set, it would sell. It wouldn't be in the multi millions, but it doesn't cost millions to slap it together these days. Plus, since they OWN all this great footage and it's just sitting around in 5150, they wouldn't have to pay anybody but a handful of people to compile and edit it and the company to crank out the discs. Of course, that's assuming they OWN all this great footage and weren't just living life and having a hell of a time. Before they turned 30. Because back in the early 80s everybody secured rights to the footage, right?
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
        You snd my 14 year old son must be the minority... took him im to see =VH= in 2012 he loved it.. he listens to Halestorm , Avenge Sevenfold. =VH=. Pink Floyd he loves classic rock. Couldnt ask for a better kid...
        Can he get cure cancer? Help old ladies across the street? Write fantastic poetry?

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
          Most of the bands who are considered 'legendary' or who have outlived the era they emerged in did serious work on their own mythology - they had fucking journalists, filmmakers, photographers, etc etc catalogue their every doing (The Stones being the prime example - every tour from 69 was filmed for cinematic releases, although not all made it to the cinema; 'embedded' writers on tour, etc).

VH never really went in for the self-mythologising, and it is why they suffer in the public imagination. You know, aside from people like us, most fans of rock music probably do not think they were one of the great bands. By not releasing retrospectives or box sets they do their legacy immense harm. They need to let someone do a dirt-dishing book, as well. If the backstage was so excessive and so legendary, then why not let us in on it? I mean, who will get hurt now.

Look at those two Best Of compilations - absolutely shoddily thrown together with garbage art work, stock photographic images. An egg balancing on the horn of a guitar, anyone - please (Balance)... what kid is going to buy into that?

Rock bands need their myths, or they won't be remembered. But VH live in denial of their past - or some of them do.

It is just so fucking disappointing.
          I've watched and read enough interviews with Alex and Eddie where it's pretty apparent they despise being called rockstars. They consider themselves musicians. They hate the whole rockstar thing actually and they think merchandising and marketing the band is dumb and below themselves. I wish they thought a little more like Gene Simmons. Give the fans what they want and charge them. Alex and Eddie are musicians and nope we ain't rockstars and you don't own us. You bought your ticket and we played. Now buzz off! That's kind of how the Van Halens are.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I've watched and read enough interviews with Alex and Eddie where it's pretty apparent they despise being called rockstars. They consider themselves musicians. They hate the whole rockstar thing actually and they think merchandising and marketing the band is dumb and below themselves. I wish they thought a little more like Gene Simmons. Give the fans what they want and charge them. Alex and Eddie are musicians and nope we ain't rockstars and you don't own us. You bought your ticket and we played. Now buzz off! That's kind of how the Van Halens are.
            Yeah, but Alex is a musician with 4 ex wives. Those alimony payments have to be adding up.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

To quote Alex Van Halen...."Alimony, alimony, alimony, alimony..."

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                To quote Alex Van Halen...."Alimony, alimony, alimony, alimony..."
                That's what's going down on the inside. Say you are a musician on the outside.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jan 2004

That's a Billy Idol cover isn't it?
                  I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
                    That's a Billy Idol cover isn't it?
                    Naw. It's some song written by a faggot in capri shorts.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                      At THIS point Van Halen IS a nostalgia band. And that's what it is. .
                      I don't think so. When I tee up ADKOT, there are songs there I put up with alot of the six pack. You men to tell me As Is isn't a great song? we are all better for it being released...so in my books they are not a nostolgia act quite yet. Lots of viable material on the last album...
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• mh5150
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Can he get cure cancer? Help old ladies across the street? Write fantastic poetry?
                        Not yet
                        Yes
                        No

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                          I don't think so. When I tee up ADKOT, there are songs there I put up with alot of the six pack. You men to tell me As Is isn't a great song? we are all better for it being released...so in my books they are not a nostolgia act quite yet. Lots of viable material on the last album...
                          True enough with regards to recording, but I consider them a nostalgia act based on their last tour's set list. On any given night, there were no more than three new songs from ADKOT played. The balance of the show consisted of songs that were no younger than 28 years old.

I am, however, hoping for another batch of "viable material".

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

I've never understood the rationale, such as the one Bette suggested, that simply because many of the songs on ADKOT were ones that VH worked on back in the day, but never got onto any of the six pack, that they should be looked upon negatively now that the band actually put them on an album. I believe Bette used the term "originality".....

Let's just ignore the fact that Bette used the word "originality". That's an entire hysterical thread in itself....

Is there a statute of limitations when it comes to songwriting? Did I miss the memo on that?

Regardless of the age of the song(s), the vast majority of those re-works sounded damn good to me. Who gives a fuck that VH worked on them previously?

Those unoriginal re-works sounded better than 99% of the songs that "rock bands" have been making in the last 20 years.....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              True enough with regards to recording, but I consider them a nostalgia act based on their last tour's set list. On any given night, there were no more than three new songs from ADKOT played. The balance of the show consisted of songs that were no younger than 28 years old.

I am, however, hoping for another batch of "viable material".
                              I guess it's a unique situation... that 28 year window is filled with songs most of us would be perfectly content going to our graves having never heard them again. Plus, at present, the band isn't interested in performing any of that material...

Other than Drop Dead Legs and a couple of other oddball songs... I don't know what else VH can add to a live show but ADKOT material.

Maybe Mustang Sally and In the Midnight Hour are a consideration...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                Other than Drop Dead Legs and a couple of other oddball songs... I don't know what else VH can add to a live show but ADKOT material.

Maybe Mustang Sally and In the Midnight Hour are a consideration...
                                Love Train and that Happy song, or whatever it's called.

Comment

Working...