Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we seriously never getting a 2008 DVD?

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2017 @ 06:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Can he get cure cancer? Help old ladies across the street? Write fantastic poetry?
    Not yet
    Yes
    No
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I don't think so. When I tee up ADKOT, there are songs there I put up with alot of the six pack. You men to tell me As Is isn't a great song? we are all better for it being released...so in my books they are not a nostolgia act quite yet. Lots of viable material on the last album...
    True enough with regards to recording, but I consider them a nostalgia act based on their last tour's set list. On any given night, there were no more than three new songs from ADKOT played. The balance of the show consisted of songs that were no younger than 28 years old.

I am, however, hoping for another batch of "viable material".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I've never understood the rationale, such as the one Bette suggested, that simply because many of the songs on ADKOT were ones that VH worked on back in the day, but never got onto any of the six pack, that they should be looked upon negatively now that the band actually put them on an album. I believe Bette used the term "originality".....

Let's just ignore the fact that Bette used the word "originality". That's an entire hysterical thread in itself....

Is there a statute of limitations when it comes to songwriting? Did I miss the memo on that?

Regardless of the age of the song(s), the vast majority of those re-works sounded damn good to me. Who gives a fuck that VH worked on them previously?

Those unoriginal re-works sounded better than 99% of the songs that "rock bands" have been making in the last 20 years.....

4. 3 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-30-2014),DavidLeeNatra (10-08-2014),vandeleur (09-30-2014)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    True enough with regards to recording, but I consider them a nostalgia act based on their last tour's set list. On any given night, there were no more than three new songs from ADKOT played. The balance of the show consisted of songs that were no younger than 28 years old.

I am, however, hoping for another batch of "viable material".
    I guess it's a unique situation... that 28 year window is filled with songs most of us would be perfectly content going to our graves having never heard them again. Plus, at present, the band isn't interested in performing any of that material...

Other than Drop Dead Legs and a couple of other oddball songs... I don't know what else VH can add to a live show but ADKOT material.

Maybe Mustang Sally and In the Midnight Hour are a consideration...

6. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-30-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Other than Drop Dead Legs and a couple of other oddball songs... I don't know what else VH can add to a live show but ADKOT material.

Maybe Mustang Sally and In the Midnight Hour are a consideration...
    Love Train and that Happy song, or whatever it's called.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would prefer that the perform predominantly newer things and perhaps some oddball covers, but for some reason, the needs of the casual fan always come first. When I saw them in '12, there were suits with comped tickets seated near me, fist pumping all the way through RWTD. Same guys could give a shit that Girl Gone Bad or The Trouble With Never were being torn through. In fact, the overall crowd response to the rare tunes was weaker in comparison to the songs they've played to death. The band is aware of that and that's why they end with Jump every damn time.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I've never understood the rationale, such as the one Bette suggested, that simply because many of the songs on ADKOT were ones that VH worked on back in the day, but never got onto any of the six pack, that they should be looked upon negatively now that the band actually put them on an album. I believe Bette used the term "originality".....

Let's just ignore the fact that Bette used the word "originality". That's an entire hysterical thread in itself....

Is there a statute of limitations when it comes to songwriting? Did I miss the memo on that?

Regardless of the age of the song(s), the vast majority of those re-works sounded damn good to me. Who gives a fuck that VH worked on them previously?

Those unoriginal re-works sounded better than 99% of the songs that "rock bands" have been making in the last 20 years.....
    It's pretty ridiculous that we are even having this conversation...the only reason we know of these songs is becasue of the release of demos, etc. Van Halen is a victim of their own success...how dare they re-release what was never released...lol

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mh5150 View Post
    Not yet
    Yes
    No
    Nothing wrong with Tony Montana. He created jobs for people.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-30-2014 at 12:49 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    The best way to judge music is not to think about it. I bought A Different Kind of Truth but once the curiosity wore off I found myself never playing it. I found myself reaching for Women and Children First or Van Halen II instead. Your instinct will naturally gravitate to what's good. If you have to stop and think about it you are just trying to convince yourself it's good when maybe it's not all that great.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There are parts of As Is that make me think it is one of their best songs...when I play it I don't want it to end...

13. 2 users say thank you to Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-08-2014),VAiN (09-30-2014)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The best way to judge music is not to think about it. I bought A Different Kind of Truth but once the curiosity wore off I found myself never playing it. I found myself reaching for Women and Children First or Van Halen II instead. Your instinct will naturally gravitate to what's good. If you have to stop and think about it you are just trying to convince yourself it's good when maybe it's not all that great.
    I must like it a lot then. And I do. Except the mix. I can honestly say I love the album. I think half those songs or more would have been classics if it was released in 1985. As Is, You & Your Blues, Honeybaby & Chinatown. Sure Dave would have sounded better and I would have preferred Ed's older tone but I don't care. I get it's not 1985 and take it for what it is. A pretty good batch of tunes just like on 1984. Just by an older band. And yea Ed start releasing shit will ya for fucks sake !! Even if it's new. How bout a 6 song E.P. and you can just stay home. I just want some more new music.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 10-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.

15. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-01-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    There are parts of As Is that make me think it is one of their best songs...when I play it I don't want it to end...
    Same here. And that's the first time they've made me feel that way about one of their songs since the fade to House Of Pain.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I can put As Is right in the top 10 as one of my favorite VH songs no problem.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    That statement requires a degree of acceptance, as in "must accept as is".

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Ranks right up there with my all-time favourite, Sinner's Swing. As Is and HBSD are my two top songs on ADKOT.

20. Thanked Angel for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-01-2014)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I must like it a lot then. And I do. Except the mix. I can honestly say I love the album. I think half those songs or more would have been classics if it was released in 1985. As Is, You & Your Blues, Honeybaby & Chinatown. Sure Dave would have sounded better and I would have preferred Ed's older tone but I don't care. I get it's not 1985 and take it for what it is. A pretty good batch of tunes just like on 1984. Just by an older band. And yea Ed start releasing shit will ya for fucks sake !! Even if it's new. How bout a 6 song E.P. and you can just stay home. I just want some more new music.
    Just imagine how great ADKOT could have been if it had been mixed and mastered using 1985 industry audio engineering standards... where there's actual stereo spacial separation and every damn noise isn't crammed into the sound space like a fucking size 12 fat woman into a size 5 pair of jeans!!

For example...

80's mix:

2012 ADKOT mix:

22. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (10-05-2014)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    At THIS point Van Halen IS a nostalgia band. And that's what it is. However, if the choice to release a CVH dvd comes down solely to the Van Halens wanting to do it or not (and not working out licensing fees and legal hassles with the footage), it makes no sense given what has transpired since 1998 for the band NOT to do it.
    Did you want to hear more of the ADKOT stuff on the last tour? I ask because that's the line for me relative to nostalgia. If you're not in to the newer stuff and just want to hear the old favorites for the 1000th time, that's nostalgiaville for me. I wish they'd played 8 or 9 of the new cuts last time out as I thought the ADKOT shit was that good. I would've much rather heard As Is or Outta Space than say I'll Wait or You Really Got Me. I realize they have their catalog of "shit we have to play every time" but they still have a lot of flexibility with their old catalog and the ADKOT stuff. They're almost making themselves a nostalgia band by sticking to mostly the same setlist all the time. How awesome would it be if they rotated in like 3-4 more ADKOT tunes and threw in some deeper cuts like Fools, Loss of Control, D.O.A., Light Up The Sky, etc.? Hell even changing the setlist order would help. (Gee, I wonder if Jump will be the "encore". And for that matter, do actual encores. Yeah, there's some old hatness to it, but who doesn't like encores?)

If the past is prologue, they won't do any this, but there is potential there to be more than a nostalgia band if they'd just do it. And for christ's sake, release that old footage!

24. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

ThatArtGuy (10-03-2014)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    The band is aware of that and that's why they end with Jump every damn time.
    Blasphemy...

May you star in an Alex Jones propaganda video...

26. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-03-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Blasphemy...

May you star in an Alex Jones propaganda video...
    Now that's not nice at all.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Lame...

As usual...

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think we won't have a 2008 DVD nor will we have a 2012 DVD. And I'm fine with it. Now that VH are done, it's time for Roth to put out his new album. If anybody still cares...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think a dvd with part of 2008 MSG comes out in 2014 for Christmas and announced in about 5 weeks, just a guess.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

They should have went with that song for a single.. People would have paid attention to it.

32. Thanked VAiN for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-06-2014)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes Nitro, I totally agree with you. . .ADKOT is NOT the six pack and Eddie should get back to some melodic roots
    and stop trying to sound like Wolfgang's favorite music.

FW and WACF (hell even DD) gets much more airplay from this listener. . .

Thread Information