• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Underrated and Underplayed

A companion to Mushroom's thread.

I'm basing my selections on acts, dead or alive, that have had little or no air play during their careers and usually get a "who the fuck izzat?" when I bring them up in conversation.

For starters...

Big Star
    Jeff Buckley
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Ours
    Pete Yorn
    Ben Harper
    Tommy Bolin
    Robin Trower
    King's X
    Ryan Adams

(Ok Kristy, light me up. )
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Ben Harper is a true artist!

Comment

• Mushroom
      Commando
      • Jul 2009

Tab Benoit

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Phil Keaggy. One of the greatest guitarists on Earth who has been recording and touring since the early 70s and most people have never heard of him. As he's getting older, he probably does more solo acoustic shows than anything else now days, but still incredible. And he manages to use a couple of electronic toys on stage to make himself not sound so alone.... but it's still all him.

But first, here's one of his older classics with his first band, Glass Harp.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And here's Phil playing around with the Moog Guitar a few years back at a NAMM conference when it was the hot new toy....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Aug 2007

This guy.
            Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And here he talks about some of the "tricks" he uses to not sound so alone in his acoustic shows.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And I'll throw this one in so I can segue into the next underrated musician on my list, Mike Roe & the 77s.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

OK, so as I was saying, the 77s are the best band you never heard of (unless you have read my prior posts about them in threads like this one, because I will ALWAYS mention them). Been around for over 30 years, have seen thousands of inferior bands come and go in that time, and most of them got record deals on far less talent.

Here's their first single. Sound-wise, influenced by Tom Petty. Video-wise, pure early 80s cheesy effects.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So two years, a different drummer, and a distribution deal with A&M later, they finally get a video on MTV. Who might have actually played it once at about 4:00 in the morning......

The Stray Cats WISH they wrote this song........
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

But this being the mid 80s, even the best bands had to have their synth pop hit. Well, not so much a hit, though it SHOULD have been.....

Sure as fuck is a better song than "I'll Wait", for fucks sake.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                        Where's the jews harp and the Rodger Daltrey vocals?
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Even though the record didn't sell millions, it did attract the attention of Island Records, who signed the band and released their third album. Unfortunately the record shared a release date with a little record called "The Joshua Tree". Guess which one got the promotional budget.

People in the industry were taking notice though. When Mike wanted to make a song that sounded like The Byrds, he actually managed to get Chris Hillman to play bass on it and make it a little more authentic.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• cadaverdog
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                            Sure as fuck is a better song than "I'll Wait", for fucks sake.
                            You know what they say about opinions. A few more minutes and I'd have a migraine. I'm not totally closed minded to other styles of music. There's one song by The Cure that I don't mind. I'm sure it's one of their most popular songs but I have no idea what the title is.
                            Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              Where's the jews harp and the Rodger Daltrey vocals?
                              Yeah.. the music does share some similarities with The Who of that era. Might have helped them get signed at Decca Records, for that matter. BTW, that album was recorded at Jimi's Electric Lady Land studio.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...