DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

How Some Of Us (Of Certain Age) Accidentally Found Van Halen

Quite simple...me and a group of fellow rockers are hanging out sometime in 1978 at Sid's West Records, and the promo disc of (I think) "Eruption/Ya Really Got Me" got played. (Do not trust my memory on this, since I've pretty muck lost a least a third of it by now).

So, we get tickets (Yep, you could buy tickets for a gig at what were once called record stores, back then) to see these knuckleheads, but everybody with a brain in their head wanted to see Ronnie Montrose.

Well, these fire-pissers Van Halen burnt the stage within 30-40 minutes, Montrose flattened it (touring on his instrumental album Open Fire a bit later, leaving these losers called Journey to play to a quickly leaving audience.

Apr. 21, 1978 Sportatorium. Miami, FL Montrose, Van Halen... (and fucking Journey. )

Anyway, here is why we went to see Ronnie Montrose, and discovered Van Halen as well...

VH killed, Montrose was stunning...yet to this day, I have yet to run in to anyone claiming to have stuck around for Journey...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (09-26-2014)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The first show they performed in L A after they put out their first album wasn't until July at the Long Beach Arena. I've never come across any VH fans in So Cal that even heard of that show. The first time I remember hearing about VH playing in the L A area was this show.

Boston, Black Sabbath, Van Halen and Sammy Hagar. Didn't see the show but I don't remember why. I was really into big festival shows. Saw Van Halen for the first time at one in 79 in L A.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

Eyes of the Night (10-18-2014)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Sitting in my favourite hang out, and the old guy that serviced the jukebox came in and said I got some new music for ya...I THINK it was RWTD...but you know, memory thing...

Saw them in Calgary in September 79 and I was perma-hooked...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Sitting in my favourite hang out, and the old guy that serviced the jukebox came in and said I got some new music for ya...I THINK it was RWTD...but you know, memory thing...

Saw them in Calgary in September 79 and I was perma-hooked...
    They blew everybody away the first time I saw them. It was at that two day show I posted the line up to in another thread. Cheap Trick was quite impressive the first night but Van Halen was even better the next night. After that show in Anaheim all the L A area rock stations were playing Van Halen on heavy rotation.
    I wasn't aware of this video until I did a search for the dates of the Anaheim show. It's not real clean and crisp but it does appear to be recorded from the video feeds at the show.

This was the second and last time I saw Van Halen. I saw Van Hagar in 93 but that doesn't count.

7. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (09-26-2014)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Here I am thinking this whole forum needs a revamp.

Something along the lines of The AARP Roth Army."

9. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

CreatureFrmTheC (09-27-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I got Van Halen II for a birthday gift. I'm still good friends with the person who gave that album to me. We drank a lot of Lowenbrau in high school. For old times sake this summer we drank Lowenbrau and talked about the good old days including seeing VH the first time during the Women and Children First tour. Dave even played the infamous Davesicle that show.

11. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Quite simple...me and a group of fellow rockers are hanging out sometime in 1978 at Sid's West Records, and the promo disc of (I think) "Eruption/Ya Really Got Me" got played. (Do not trust my memory on this, since I've pretty muck lost a least a third of it by now).

So, we get tickets (Yep, you could buy tickets for a gig at what were once called record stores, back then) to see these knuckleheads, but everybody with a brain in their head wanted to see Ronnie Montrose.

Well, these fire-pissers Van Halen burnt the stage within 30-40 minutes, Montrose flattened it (touring on his instrumental album Open Fire a bit later, leaving these losers called Journey to play to a quickly leaving audience.

Apr. 21, 1978 Sportatorium. Miami, FL Montrose, Van Halen... (and fucking Journey. )

Anyway, here is why we went to see Ronnie Montrose, and discovered Van Halen as well...

VH killed, Montrose was stunning...yet to this day, I have yet to run in to anyone claiming to have stuck around for Journey...
    Journey really thought they were gods. Even their road crew and security had the attitude. When I saw what a pathetic loser Steve Perry was on that Behind the Music thing on him, I just laughed. Look at their videos today. They look like a bunch of fags. Look at the VH videos posted in this thread. You want to be there. Big difference. Journey? Bwa ha! ha! ha!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-26-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It was in summer 1978! i didn't know nothing about rock or hard rock music! I listened some french singers!One day, the Brother of my friend decided to put some music for me ! THe who "who's next" .. not my cup of tea ! Bob Dylan ! Sweet Smoke : listen some drums , Woodstock with Jimi Hendrix "star spangled banner" he said .listen it's the best guitarist in the world! The beatles "the double blue album ! Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" and a new band Van Halen ! Eruption /you really got me ! I was empressed about all the new music and bands that i didn't know ! A few day after , we were some kids and we listend music. A friend said " hey guys " listen this ! it was VAN HALEN ! I was happy, I knew this band! we were all excited and we listened many times VAN HALEN !

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    It was in summer 1978! i didn't know nothing about rock or hard rock music! I listened some french singers!One day, the Brother of my friend decided to put some music for me ! THe who "who's next" .. not my cup of tea ! Bob Dylan ! Sweet Smoke : listen some drums , Woodstock with Jimi Hendrix "star spangled banner" he said .listen it's the best guitarist in the world! The beatles "the double blue album ! Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" and a new band Van Halen ! Eruption /you really got me ! I was empressed about all the new music and bands that i didn't know ! A few day after , we were some kids and we listend music. A friend said " hey guys " listen this ! it was VAN HALEN ! I was happy, I knew this band! we were all excited and we listened many times VAN HALEN !
    You post with a French accent. I can totally see Jean Reno telling this story. I can still remember when Van Halen was a new hard rock band burning up the radio. My education in rock and roll started with two older brothers who got into rock and roll as teenagers in the late 60s and listened to Jimi Hendrix and The Doors.

15. Thanked cadaverdog for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-26-2014)

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

you know cadaverdog , when i was at school before the college! my englisg was better ! more 7 years to learn english and now my english is like a child' level ! sad but true ( thank metallica ).. anyway !

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dunno if being 44 makes me part of the certain-age league ( in a way, I don't hope so ), but I would turn 9 a few months later.
    French TV was not exactly up-to-date with rock music (was always a few months late, so it may have been in the summer of '78 or
    the beginning of '79, I can't really tell), but there was great stuff on at the time.
    I already loved guitar/bass/drums rock the Police did ( but as I was a child I also liked stuff like Abba, Blondie or even Boney M... )
    or Queen.
    Anyway, one day during a music show (or a 5-mn gap in the schedule of the channel, as they would do back then, fill in with music vids)
    there came the tremendous sound of Eddie's guitar (all the more so tremendous as he was smiling like a brat who's just got the latest
    killing trick - and man how he had!), then Dave's incredible look, voice, presence and acrobatics) - as for Alex's impressive, sparkling drums
    and Michael Anthony's presence, I honestly don't remember.
    I was positively shocked and hooked, couldn't believe my "steaming eyes and ears" and kept the song and flashes from the video inside my
    head for a damn long time. A real "revelation".

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Journey really thought they were gods. Even their road crew and security had the attitude. When I saw what a pathetic loser Steve Perry was on that Behind the Music thing on him, I just laughed. Look at their videos today. They look like a bunch of fags. Look at the VH videos posted in this thread. You want to be there. Big difference. Journey? Bwa ha! ha! ha!
    Wait, what? No tapping? Nothing wrong with a little tapping, just don't do it on every song. Throw in a horse whinny or two and a whammy bar dive bomb. Rinse. Repeat.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

between 1981 and 198? i saw some VH on french TV ... first Unchained 1981 (vh was in FRANCE for a tv show) ... jamie's cryin' clip video! then Two songs from US festival pretty woman and an other ... Loss of control vid ! ..Unchained , so this is love ? from Hoakland ....

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    ... jamie's cryin' video
    Have you seen a Jamie's Cryin' VID on French TV??? I didn't know there was one at all. Great!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In my memory it was on TV show " aujourd'ui madame" ! juste 3 or 5 secondes !! i don't think it was this vid .. i pretty sure, i remember they were dressed differently ! but i can try to find a pic !

Last edited by vaijuju; 09-26-2014 at 03:12 PM.

22. Thanked vaijuju for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-27-2014)

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I actually first heard them on an AM radio station of all things. There were two local AM stations that played a little bit "edgier" music, and RWTD got into a pretty strong rotation at both. I can remember riding in our Ford Country Squire station wagon pushing the tuning buttons to see if it would come up. A couple times it was a jackpot - it would be on one spot on the dial and I'd hit the button and jump to the other station and it would come up again within a song or two. My dad loved this of course.

Then it was a kid who was a grade older than me in school who got the cassette and played it on the boom box he brought to school. I bought the album about a week later.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 07:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great thread!!

78...don't remember the month but it was cold and there was snow.
    Old style furniture stereo, older cousins brought this album with a cool cover over and said to me...."listen to this kiddo"
    I swear to GOD I can still relive that moment every time I hear RWTD.....I get the chills and the shakes
    I was addicted and I have NEVER looked back

25. Thanked moose for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-27-2014)

bum in the sun
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2016 @ 02:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

1980 my best friend's bedroom had the Helmut poster hanging on her wall. I asked who that was, the rest is history my friends.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

1980 as well.hadnt heard of Van Halen til the wacf lp was out...DTNA on the radio but no care of who that was....getting stoned in my buddies basement and he put on VH1....immediately bought all 3.

28. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I bought the first two albums on 8 track in early 79 but I didn't truly appreciate their talent until I saw them live the first time in April of 79. It was only my second concert but I had already seen Ted Nugent and Aerosmith at the first one, Cal Jam II. The other band that really impressed me at the second show was Cheap Trick. Trick and VH stole the show on their nights.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2023 @ 02:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In March 1978, I was at the local record store looking to see if anything new had arrived. I had never heard of Van Halen, but bought the first album anyways - based on the album cover alone. I went home and put the album on and my jaw literally dropped open. I listened to it all the way through two times without saying a word. I was speechless. I immediately started telling my friends about the album and in a matter of a few weeks - it seemed like the 8-track or cassette player of every car in town was blasting this album.

31. 2 users say thank you to guitard for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-29-2014),chefcraig (09-28-2014)

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

I've told mine many times - of hearing Beautiful Girls on the beach in the PERFECT atmosphere to hear VH. Made me feel like a Beautiful Girl. Had to have VH 2 soon after that.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2023 @ 02:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is not a 'first time' story, but it's still pretty funny. I was at college on a beautiful spring day walking across campus. There was a spot by the river where students liked to sit or lay on the grass and take a break. Someone had a boombox and was blasting "Women and Children First." The song "Everybody Wants Some!!" started playing. This male (drake) duck started chasing this hen across the grass, and right when Dave was singing the chorus, "Everybody wants some, I want some too," the drake caught the hen, bit down on the back of her neck, and started screwing her. The timing could not have been any more perfect. Everyone was watching as it happened and the small crowd spontaneously started cheering.

34. Thanked guitard for this KICKASS post:

moose (09-30-2014)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I discovered I had a joint in my wallet a couple of days into boot camp while I was showing a buddy a picture of my girlfriend. I got another stoner to take the 8 to midnight perimeter watch with me that night so we could smoke it. Right after we finished smoking it some dude drives up and asks us where the fuck he's at and he's got Unchained cranking on the radio. This guy was so high he didn't even know he was on a Navy base. He wasn't even in the Navy. I had no choice but to call the MPs. If I hadn't brought Visine with me I would have probably gotten busted too. We ended up getting a trip to the geedunk machines as a reward for our efficiency. Geedunk is what they call candy and soda pop in boot camp. Perfect reward for a couple potheads for getting stoned on watch.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen en Montevideo.jpgFebruary 5th, 1983. I was ten years old. I saw them playing at the Cilindro Municipal , Montevideo, Uruguay.
    Last edited by diamondclaudio; 10-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-29-2015 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Russellville, Alabama... sitting in the bedroom of "rich kid's house" (you know the guy in high school that was pretty cool, but probably only because his parents were rich and bought him everything ?), no parents around, with my best friend and listening to this dude's new Marantz sound system with the cool backlit analogue gauges. Getting high of course on a Columbian filled joint rolled in one of those banana flavored papers. The first album and of course opened with RWTD and followed by Eruption... thought my head was going to explode and I was grinning from ear to ear ! We listened to the whole thing while getting wasted. Blew my fucking mind (I think it actually changed my whole perspective on life for the better ) and I've been a fan ever since, with caveats for the Hagas and My-my-my-Cherona years.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

RWTD and You Really Got Me were on heavy rotation on KISW in Seattle by mid-summer of 1978.

Then the Black Sabbath/VH show was announced for Sept. 29, 1978. Bought my ticket, went to the show, and the rest is history.

39. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-02-2017 @ 01:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

1986 in 6th grade listening to Eat em and Smile during reading hour because I don't read "for fun"!...

1988 my sister's boyfriend gave me the first 3 =VH= albums on tape and said "here this will change your life". I was 14 and never looked back...

41. Thanked Eyes of the Night for this KICKASS post:

BenJammin (10-19-2014)

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-10-2022 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think it was May or June 1978. 7th grade. The "coolest" guy in school, a guy named David Mayfield, was carrying a boombox between classes and RWTD was pouring out of it at high volume. It was like a bolt of lightning hit me. -- TJ

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Probably around early 1984 on MTV when I was four years old. Plus the local rock radio station in mid-Michigan played =VH= (not Van Hagar or whatever the fuck that other band was) frequently and still do today.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Wait, what? No tapping? Nothing wrong with a little tapping, just don't do it on every song. Throw in a horse whinny or two and a whammy bar dive bomb. Rinse. Repeat.

Ed played some of his best stuff in the early days on guitars with no whammy bars. It's much more than tapping.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree that he has written an incredible amount of good music and some of the best guitar riffs ever heard. But most of his solos follow the same blueprint, his SNL performance, "Bitch" with Sheryl Crowe, Star Fleet, the Les Paul tribute show, etc. are almost interchangeable. On VH albums, easily 80% of the solos are variations of the same thing. Yes, there is more to the man than tapping, obviously, but he has milked the tits off that cow.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would have to agree. I think it took a good producer to get the best out of Eddie Van Halen. As soon as that cat thought he was the man in charge it went down the shitter. Ed was at his best when he knew his place.

Thread Information