• lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Here ya go. Eat this and smile. A time of excess remembered

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Dave could not have put together a better band. Anything less would have been a travesty. On the other hand, my ears hurt for two days after this show (san diego 1986)

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Nigel
        Roadie
        • Mar 2004

Thank you for posting this wonderful slice of my childhood. I saw them in Toronto in 86 and 88
        and the show was far more entertaining than VH; what with the boxing ring and surf board
        and Dave rapelling down from the rafters for Skyscraper. .

Dave managed to create a band that was as exciting as CVH
        yet now that I'm much older, it all seems too widdly-widdly and the spandex
        was certainly a fashion faux-pas when your weenie is small. . .

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's true that the EEAS band years have not aged as well.

Comment

• Edwards3rdWife
            Groupie
            • May 2013

Holy shit what a leap .... I felt that landing ! Love how he drops his shoulders and swaggers along the stage, I wish he'd still do that. So hot !
            I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault, and I have no faults - DLR

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

This band was still far better than the other cheese fest...

Comment

• cadaverdog
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nigel
                I saw them in Toronto in 86 and 88
                and the show was far more entertaining than VH; what with the boxing ring and surf board
                and Dave rapelling down from the rafters for Skyscraper. .
                I'm happy I saw CVH before they put so much emphasis on entertainment and just played kick ass rock and roll. There's nothing wrong with a little showmanship but sometimes it gets in the way of what you're really there for. Seeing a rock and roll band playing rock and roll. Here's the only video I could find of that show. It was only my second concert. I was 19.
                Last edited by cadaverdog; 10-09-2014, 02:00 AM.
                Beware of Dog

Comment

• BenJammin
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Feb 2004

In your face kinda stuff from Vai " I can do anything you [EVH] can do, but I can do better" [ er, just as well anyway.. and remember it's much easier to imitate greatness vice creating it ] even Sheehan on base showing his EVH copy chops. Yes those are underhanded compliments. I have no memory of solo Vai stuff that I can whistle to... vice something like RWTD, Panama, Mean Streets, Unchained, etc., and I don't really care to remember stuff like Yankee Rose et al.

Just a big breakup drama of 'well my new partner is everything you were but more'. Much rather the original CVH had stayed together. This was just the equivalent of looking at pictures of your old girlfriend and jerking off. Please don't read any homo into that
                  Last edited by BenJammin; 10-13-2014, 01:33 PM.
                  "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BenJammin
                    This was just the equivalent of looking at pictures of your old girlfriend and jerking off. Please don't read any homo into that
                    Nothing homo about that as long as your old girlfriend doesn't have a penis.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by BenJammin
                      In your face kinda stuff from Vai " I can do anything you [EVH] can do, but I can do better" [ er, just as well anyway.. and remember it's much easier to imitate greatness vice creating it ] even Sheehan on base showing his EVH copy chops. Yes those are underhanded compliments. I have no memory of solo Vai stuff that I can whistle to... vice something like RWTD, Panama, Mean Streets, Unchained, etc., and I don't really care to remember stuff like Yankee Rose et al.

Just a big breakup drama of 'well my new partner is everything you were but more'. Much rather the original CVH had stayed together.
                      Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. Dave's ultra-talented "power twins" brought zero oomph to ATBL. A simple enough number that CVH used to tear houses down with. As grand of a time as I'm sure the crowd was having, a good chunk of them were probably thinking, 'it's not the same'.

As for Vai's dickish smirk during the Eruption lick in his solo, I guess you could say that was the EEAS band response to Van Hagar having the exact same "David Lee Who?" banner thrown on stage for Bette the clown to unfurl night after night.

T'was a pissing contest for the ages.

Unfortunately.

Comment

• jacksmar
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

DLR: You know how people buy dogs because they remind them of themselves? RS 1985 CFTH Interview

Simple point made by Dave. And DLR surrounded himself with best. That time, that band, that feeling will never go away.
                        A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• BenJammin
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Feb 2004

Yeah they were the best hired guns he could get, no doubt. Just the perceived smirkiness from both of them here is what gets me a bit torqued watching these (but after thinking about it agree with DLR Bridge comment above... an appropriate rebuttal to CheeseCake Sammy's antics and Ed's ego ). I guess I was okay listening to this band vice watching them back in those hazy days. I was giving 5150 a chance then also, Ed was still blazing after all !

At the time I thought Dave was trying to create a copy of VH (but it was the only reasonable direction Dave could take after being kicked off Howdy Doody Mountain), whereas the 'real' VH was still there with Ed, Al, Mike, and (as yet to be realized on my part) a douchebag in red and yellow. The same douchebag that made me realize in order for it to be the real VH, they had to have Dave up front.
                          "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...