Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MICHAEL ANTHONY Says He Can Pull Off Lead Vocals On Any Classic VAN HALEN Song

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

MICHAEL ANTHONY Says He Can Pull Off Lead Vocals On Any Classic VAN HALEN Song

MICHAEL ANTHONY Says He Can Pull Off Lead Vocals On Any Classic VAN HALEN Song

On October 14, former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT bassist Michael Anthony was interviewed on the "Lamont And Tonelli Show", which airs on the Bay Area rock station 107.7 The Bone. You can listen to the chat in the YouTube clip below.

After Anthony was told by the radio hosts that he is such a great lead singer in his own right that he could probably front his own band, Michael said: "Yeah, you know, but I don't need that kind of pressure on me. Lead singers, they're their own breed."

He added: "It wasn't until the fourth or fifth VAN HALEN record that people would go, 'Wow! You're singing backgrounds on those records. That's not David Lee Roth.' And I go, 'Hell, no! That's not David Lee Roth.'"

Asked which classic VAN HALEN song he would pick to sing lead vocals on, if he had to choose one, Anthony said: "Ahh…. Oh my God… I sang 'Somebody Get Me A Doctor'. That actually goes over quite well. But I don't know… Man, I'd sing any of 'em. I could sing any of that crap. C'mon! I can sing it all. [Laughs]"

In a February 2013 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth spoke about the touchy subject of Anthony potentially replacing current bassist — and Eddie Van Halen's son — Wolfgang Van Halen. He said: "Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming. We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment, just as not having a chance for a reunion of the original band. Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo… What we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever — that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in EARTH, WIND & FIRE, as identifiable as the high voice in the BEACH BOYS. VAN HALEN is an indelicate house blend of both — that's intentionally."

In October 2011, ex-VAN HALEN vocalist Sammy Hagar accused the band of using tapes of backing vocals originally done by Anthony on its 2007/2008 reunion tour, for which Anthony was replaced by Wolfgang. Hagar told Attention Deficit Delirium, "Those vocal harmonies on the last tour were Mike on tape. Mike should've reamed them for it. Wolfie don't sing like that, and Ed sure as hell don't. Go on the Internet and listen to Ed's voice live from the reunion with me. Hear him sing on 'When It's Love' and some of those songs. Ed can't sing, and his voice is shot if he can, from cigarettes and booze anyway."

Anthony and Hagar both last played with VAN HALEN on a 2004 reunion tour that ended acrimoniously. Both maintain that Anthony was booted from VAN HALEN for maintaining a friendship and working relationship with Hagar.

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. It's almost like they don't care about their fans. They just want to badger them until — see how much they'll take."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mic...E6HTcDwHdcy.99
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (10-28-2014),Zen Halen (10-21-2014)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Sobolewski didn't do so bad on the VDIII tour.....

but let's face facts here, he didn't write those songs, so for him to play them with anybody else (ESPECIALLY Hagar) is entirely wrong. If he wants to make peace with Eddie, and come back to the band, I'll bet Dave would let him sing a song or two.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't bet on that.

Doing it with Cherone is one thing but if you think Dave would let him sing one of his songs you're crazy and he would be almost as unlikely to allow him to do Dreams or whatever.

5. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (10-21-2014),Guitar Shark (10-20-2014),kwame k (10-20-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

His high harmonies were a big part of the VH sound and were wonderful in the studio, but live, he was always struggling with staying in key. But I'd take his wonky pitch back in the band any day.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Dave might let him do a cover song but no way would he let Mikey sing lead on a CVH song!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

You never know.... Dave's 60 years old now. If he gets an opportunity (apart from Eddie's guitar solo) to give his pipes a rest, he might just take it. I wonder if Mikey can pull off "Light Up The Sky" - seeing as how Dave doesn't seem to want to sing that one, despite the fact that Ed, Al, and Wolfie were playing it at soundchecks on the last tour.

Van Hagar songs, would of course be out of the question. Not that I think Eddie has any interest in that shit anymore either. I think half the reason that Velveetapalooza 2004 was such a train wreck is that Eddie (in his late 90s "sober" period) realized what kind of shit he was recording while Hagar was in the band.

9. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (10-20-2014)

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that.

Doing it with Cherone is one thing but if you think Dave would let him sing one of his songs you're crazy and he would be almost as unlikely to allow him to do Dreams or whatever.
    Agreed. I also don't understand the argument that it is "entirely wrong" for Mike to play CVH songs with anyone else, simply because he didn't write them. So now nobody can do a cover tune? Or jump on stage and play with another band? Not getting the idea.

11. Thanked Guitar Shark for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (10-21-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Mikey did a great job on LUTS with the Punks a few years back. And he's said that since he gave up the occasional smoke he can hit the high notes even better now.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

I could see Mikey doing a cover song, solo! Revisit Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers! Though really after Al's, Ed's and of course if he came back. Mikey's solo spot.........that's a lot of rest for Dave's voice per show!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's Mikey with the Punks on Light Up The Sky..

Light Up The Sky

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    Agreed. I also don't understand the argument that it is "entirely wrong" for Mike to play CVH songs with anyone else, simply because he didn't write them. So now nobody can do a cover tune? Or jump on stage and play with another band? Not getting the idea.

I kind of agree. I was watching ELO play a reunion gig to 40 000 on TV a few days back and I wondered whatever had happened to their drummer Bev Bevan.

I googled it and the guy is still playing 100+ gigs in his 60s then looking further down his bio it turns out when the band ended he started one called ELO 2 apparently so I guess that's the answer as to why he had been replaced for the gig.

I have no idea what the details of that case are but it seems pretty unfair to expect someone to just stop working at a level because you decide to end the band. That said I think Anthony and the Clown using the name 'The Other Half' was particularly inflammatory as it should have been called a 'Quarter of a Half' or 'The Other Eighth'.

16. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (10-28-2014)

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Maybe it was a veiled reference to their weight.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Mikey did a great job on LUTS with the Punks a few years back. And he's said that since he gave up the occasional smoke he can hit the high notes even better now.
    And how does this play out?

"Hi Mike I just can't sing that fan favorite song any more could you do it for me? I would really appreciate you showing how you can do my job better than me and the best bit will be reading all the reviews pointing that out to me."

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

can Mikey hit those notes without hagars tongue jammed up his starfish ?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And how does this play out?

"Hi Mike I just can't sing that fan favorite song any more could you do it for me? I would really appreciate you showing how you can do my job better than me and the best bit will be reading all the reviews pointing that out to me."
    He only did the back ups as usual on it. Ain't no way I wanna hear him singing lead on anything - that's Dave's spot. Or Sammy's, depending on how Ed feels at any given moment.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How's about some more Mikey with the Punks?

You Really Got Me

Hot For Teacher

And lastly, Mikey and Ralph switching off vocals..

Somebody Get Me A Motherfucking Doctor

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    can Mikey hit those notes without hagars tongue jammed up his starfish ?
    Seems to do just fine without. Besides, Sam wore his tongue down to a nub from all those years of rimmin' Ed.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Apologies to Sesh for posting the links to those Punks songs. I know he's pacing back and forth right now, screaming in that incoherent gibberish of his.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ya wee jobbie!

Actually the old beef between this website and the Punks was with their bass player who I assume Mike replaces in those clips anyway.

25. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-20-2014),DONNIEP (10-20-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ya wee jobbie!

Actually the old beef between this website and the Punks was with their bass player who I assume Mike replaces in those clips anyway.
    Yeah, I remember. But I don't remember what drove him to wreak havoc on the board. I was over at DDLR back then.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think you were at DDLR at the time it happened as the havoc wreaked is what led Von to have to set that site up.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think you were at DDLR at the time it happened as the havoc wreaked is what led Von to have to set that site up.
    Aha! No wonder I can't remember what made him nuts enough to mess up the board! I was neither here nor there, or probably anywhere!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. It's almost like they don't care about their fans. They just want to badger them until — see how much they'll take."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mic...E6HTcDwHdcy.99

I hate to agree with Ronald McHagar, but he's dead-on there...

30. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-20-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's been his line throughout and it's an obvious move to try and cause trouble between the fans and the Van Halen's though.

He needed an angle other than just going after Roth at a time when people almost universally supportive of the reunion. If Anthony had been involved he would have been forced to attack Roth instead.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At this point in time I am doubtful we will ever hear from these lazy bastards again , continental drift moves faster than these slugs.
    The whole Van Halen as an entity relies on so much personal shit and petty crap that it couldnt accommodate another random factor like tubby.

Eddies playing on ADKOT was tremendous , doubt he can even remember which end to blow in now.

33. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (10-28-2014)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's been his line throughout and it's an obvious move to try and cause trouble between the fans and the Van Halen's though.

He needed an angle other than just going after Roth at a time when people almost universally supportive of the reunion. If Anthony had been involved he would have been forced to attack Roth instead.
    If Anthony were involved he'd of died of a broken heart...

35. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (10-20-2014)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    If Anthony were involved he'd of died of a broken heart...
    That sounds canny

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At this point in time I am doubtful we will ever hear from these lazy bastards again , continental drift moves faster than these slugs.
    The whole Van Halen as an entity relies on so much personal shit and petty crap that it couldnt accommodate another random factor like tubby.

Eddies playing on ADKOT was tremendous , doubt he can even remember which end to blow in now.
    Six years 1978-1984.
    6 albums and 686 shows. Gigs cancelled 10.

Seven years 2007-2014.
    1 album and 134 shows. Gigs cancelled 37.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Started a thread with this once before, but can't find it. Mike does alright, but his natural register is not necessarily suitable for pulling of a baritone.

39. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-20-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Six years 1978-1984.
    6 albums and 686 shows. Gigs cancelled 10.

Seven years 2007-2014.
    1 album and 134 shows. Gigs cancelled 37.
    An Unfortunate Kind Of Truth.

41. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (10-21-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    An Unfortunate Kind Of Truth.
    Or as Ford would say...An Inconvenient Kind of Truth

Ah, I like yours better.

43. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-20-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even allowing for writing recording and rehearsal time it's a pretty damning lack of work when you compare it to other bands.

I guess the closest comparison would be ACDC who in the same period only recorded one album and did 168 gigs with 2 cancellations.

A few differences though. ACDC managed 67 gigs in Europe, they've lost a band member to illness and they have another album and tour announced.

Also the average age of ACDC is 61.4

The average age of Van Halen is 50.75

Even with Mike Anthony rather than WVH it would be 60.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-20-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post

Started a thread with this once before, but can't find it. Mike does alright, but his natural register is not necessarily suitable for pulling of a baritone.
    Anthony's register is a perfect counterpoint to Dave's gravelly one. However, I've never been a fan of his voice as stand alone in a lead vocal...

46. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-20-2014)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even allowing for writing recording and rehearsal time it's a pretty damning lack of work when you compare it to other bands.

I guess the closest comparison would be ACDC who in the same period only recorded one album and did 168 gigs with 2 cancellations.

A few differences though. ACDC managed 67 gigs in Europe, they've lost a band member to illness and they have another album and tour announced.

Also the average age of ACDC is 61.4

The average age of Van Halen is 50.75

Even with Mike Anthony rather than WVH it would be 60.
    You might have explained wolfs inclusion, it knocks years off daves age . On average he is 50

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing I really didn't realize until doing this is that ACDC Malcolm Young replacement nephew is 57!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing I really didn't realize until doing this is that ACDC Malcolm Young replacement nephew is 57!
    Someone getting their big break at 57 should cheer up a lot of us on here

50. 3 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

mug (10-20-2014),Seshmeister (10-21-2014),ZahZoo (10-21-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You might have explained wolfs inclusion, it knocks years off daves age . On average he is 50
    Wolfie is Devilly!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Wolfie is Devilly!!
    the past is history dude , let it go

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the past is history dude , let it go
    Nevah!!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dude he is like bobs leg ... he aint coming back

55. 3 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-21-2014),DONNIEP (10-20-2014),VetteLS5 (10-21-2014)

Thread Information