X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Corrupt politicians buying votes until they break the golden goose. The citizens are also to blame. They take the welfare without any regard to their future. I've never seen any city flourish on the welfare for votes model. It only brings decay. Sitting there blaming everyone does nothing. There are doers and there are complainers. In the US today the doers and dreamers are under attack. The establishment wants more do what you are told, dependent slaves.
    Complete horseshit...

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sarge
      Umm.. ok?! I'm not from Gary, but I watched a documentary on the city recently.

---------------------------------------------------
      Population and politics were related. A succession of white ethnic mayors in the 1950s and 1960s ended in 1967 with the election of Richard G. Hatcher, one of the nation's first big-city black mayors. White flight to nearby suburbs had already begun in the 1960s, but Hatcher's election and subsequent confrontational style speeded the process considerably, paralleled now by white business flight as well. As descendants of European immigrants emptied out of the city, the population declined dramatically to 116,646 by 1990, while the proportion of African Americans rose to over 80 percent. With a secure black power base, Hatcher was reelected four times, an unusual record for big-city administrations, and served a total of 20 years as Gary's mayor.

-----------------------------------------------------
      There was a "White Flight" from the city which decreased the overall population of the town. Less taxpayers... less money for the goverment to provide services for the city.
      Steel left. Drugs creeped in.. etc. Just stating fact. That is what led to the problems in the city.
      Thanks for throwing around labels though.
      Guess we need a "No Racist" smilie?
      Not so quick.

The general definition of White privilege fits, the older one though it may be.

From the very link you provided:
      "Anticipating a large population of steelworkers, Gary Land Company, a U.S. Steel subsidiary, laid out a gridiron city plan, built a variety of houses and apartments, ... however, where shoddy building of small houses and barrack-type apartments contradicted modern planning principles and dictated rapid slum development."

"The Bosses of the Senate by Joseph Keppler" by Joseph Keppler - http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/...n_38_00392.htm. Licensed under Public domain via Wikimedia Commons.

"The Bosses of the Senate", a cartoon by Joseph Keppler depicting corporate interests–from steel, copper, oil, iron, sugar, tin, and coal to paper bags, envelopes, and salt–as giant money bags looming over the tiny senators at their desks in the Chamber of the United States Senate.

Gary, IN was built to be a slum... because

[a] population of European immigrants, and, by the 1920s, southern blacks and immigrants from Mexico as well. ... Immigrants and their American-born children made up 45 percent of the population in 1930, while blacks constituted almost 18 percent. ( 45%+18% = 63% )

African Americans from the American South began migrating to Gary after the outbreak of World War I and the cessation of European immigration. In the 1920s, as immigration restriction became permanent, Mexican workers were imported by U.S. Steel to fill unskilled jobs in the mills.
      the company's skilled workers and managerial staff were primarily English, Irish, German, or native-born.
      We can venture safely and say by "native-born" they are not speaking of American Indians in that encyclopedia.

But the correct wording would be corporate corruption. Corporate corruption of the most depraved kind, disregard for humans.

On another note:

The US Steel and the making of Gary, IN was one of the first flanks of the Corporate Coup D'etat of the USA 's government.

http://www.flushthetpp.org/trans-pacific-partnership-corporate-coup-detat-against-us/

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

Working...