Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Sears Closing Over 100 Stores

Laying off 5,457 people.

I thought Obama had the economy humping? Wiki Nicki says the stock market is proof.

Seriously, It's been all down hill since they eliminated their catalogs. They could have been Amazon if they had any forward thinking management on staff. They already had the warehousing, logistics, inventory control, and a variety of good quality products. They were just too stupid to see what the future would bring. Believe it or not, they stopped the catalog and closed huge, state of the art warehouses because of their amortization schedule.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-23-2014),Kristy (10-23-2014)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Sears started going downhill the minute they merged with KMart. And then they fucked up their strongest brand name, Craftsman Tools, first by allowing them to be made in China crap, and then by licensing the brand out to other chain stores. The local Sears store here is the last remaining survivor of the original mall that opened in 1966. The rest of the mall died out in the 1990s and was replaced by a Target.

Can't recommend everything they sell, but the Kenmore Air Conditioner I bought there in 2003 is still going strong - not that I needed it much this last summer.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

The Sears in the local mall shut down last month. I haven't bought anything in a Sears in years. When I was a kid we used to shop there for just about everything because it was affordable and good quality stuff. But the last time I stepped on the local Sears, the prices were anything but "affordable". I mean I could walk down to Belk and get the exact same shoes for my kid cheaper than Sears. And just about every time we went thru the store it was a ghost town. Sucks to see it go though.

Now I just hope Amazon finally crushes Best Buy. I'm gonna piss on the building when it goes out of bidness.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I refuse to go into Best Buy anymore, simply because they have all these fucks from other companies stalking you and trying to sell you shit. They're worse than the vultures in the furniture stores.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    The first house my grandfather built was a Sears and Roebuck mail order house. You built the foundation and the wood and other parts were delivered. If you were a good builder and followed the instructions you got a pretty decent house. Since all the wood was cut and shaped in an industrial wood working factory everything fit tight. My dad always bought Sears stuff because if it broke they would replace it and you could always get parts.

Sears used to mean quality for the dollar but maybe they let the quality slip, the prices rise and they never marketed the brand very well in the later years. Plus there is too much retail for the demand right now and a shakeout is needed. It looks like Sears is going to go the way of Oldsmobile. A historic brand that once meant quality but became forgotten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-23-2014 at 03:00 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    The Sears in the local mall shut down last month. I haven't bought anything in a Sears in years. When I was a kid we used to shop there for just about everything because it was affordable and good quality stuff. But the last time I stepped on the local Sears, the prices were anything but "affordable". I mean I could walk down to Belk and get the exact same shoes for my kid cheaper than Sears. And just about every time we went thru the store it was a ghost town. Sucks to see it go though.

Now I just hope Amazon finally crushes Best Buy. I'm gonna piss on the building when it goes out of bidness.
    I'm finding I have to mail order more and more things I used to get in brick and mortar stores. I needed some bits for my machine lathe and some machinist dye and this store I used to go in and buy them no longer carries them so I have to mail order everything now. Amazon is going to be the biggest retailer because that is where you go when you just don't want to waste time looking for something in stores or they don't have it. If it ships from Reno I get it usually in two days.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Laying off 5,457 people.

I thought Obama had the economy humping? Wiki Nicki says the stock market is proof.

Seriously, It's been all down hill since they eliminated their catalogs. They could have been Amazon if they had any forward thinking management on staff. They already had the warehousing, logistics, inventory control, and a variety of good quality products. They were just too stupid to see what the future would bring. Believe it or not, they stopped the catalog and closed huge, state of the art warehouses because of their amortization schedule.
    The stock market has done well simply because all the money the Federal Reserve Bank has been issuing is going into it. The stock market does not reflect the real economy most people work and do business in. It reflects a lot of funny money going to investment banks and buying up shares of stock. That money never sees the average American. In other words the money is not trickling down to the real markets that actually hire people. It's going to speculators. Speculators who don't shop at Sears. They shop at Cartier, Gucci, and Armani.

9. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-23-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Laying off 5,457 people.

As soon as I lost interest in the women's underwear section of the Sears and JCPenny catalogs, I lost interest in those catalogs and brands. Blame Penthouse.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Jesus fuck, you're blaming Obama for Sears?

Have you been in an Kmart, lately?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    As soon as I lost interest in the women's underwear section of the Sears and JCPenny catalogs, I lost interest in those catalogs and brands.
    When you turned 14 and started wearing women's underwear, as opposed to just looking at it in a catalog?

13. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (10-24-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Jesus fuck, you're blaming Obama for Sears?

Have you been in an Kmart, lately?
    Kmart is owned by Sears.

Wiki it, dumbass.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

I hate that they closed the Sears Hardware stores. The local one was next to the Super K so it was expendable. The big advantage was not having to drive to the mall.

The last couple times I've been to Sears the clerks try to ring up purchases on iPhones or something and they never work. There's never anyone in there, maybe five cars outside the doors that lead to the tool department. Even Penney's sees more traffic.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, last time I was in Sears, I was taking advantage of the Die Hard battery warranty, and getting it charged (got zapped by the cold winter, and I knew the jumpstart wouldn't last). There were about three other people waiting around the automotive department. Figured I would go next door to Target and kill some time while waiting (rather than watching FAUX Noize in the waiting room). So I walked through the Sears.... Not a single fucking soul in the rest of the store. The auto department is probably the only thing keeping this store open, and I wouldn't be surprised to read it was among those on the death watch list.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll miss Sears for one reason. It was easy to get new electronics at Sears for half price. You get a friend to buy something you want and then return it. Then you buy it for half price as a returned item. The salespeople didn't give a shit. They even let me buy stuff I returned for half price as long as I paid cash.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kmart is owned by Sears.

Wiki it, dumbass.
    NO FUCKING WAY! REALLY? Thanks bud!

Any other breaking news on the ticker tonight?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, the merger of Sears-Kmart was all about real estate, but I think that went to shit too, along the the Kmart/Sears stores that 1985 wants back...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    When you turned 14 and started wearing women's underwear, as opposed to just looking at it in a catalog?
    The fun part was stealing the underwear to wear.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

The irony is thousands of free HD photos of abandoned shopping malls online.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the 1990's, Kmart built a state-of-art store in my town (for a Kmart, mind you). They put it on the initial list of closings in the early 2000's. I actually liked shopping there. The closure made no sense in the long term with the real ghetto Kmarts here being left open. They also are paying some shit bastard reality company a fuckload of money to close out the lease which also made no sense and has kept the place vacant for over a decade now, even though it's a relatively new retail space...

It's a miracle that Kmart/Sears made it this long and I think they were about to close a about 5-10 years ago but received a reprieve with a buyer that was mostly about real estate and not renovating stores or investing in them long term. It's sort of sad when iconic brands like Ames close and cede competition to cunt companies like the Walton whores..
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-24-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah the old Kmart building here has been vacant for years. Not sure why they can't fill the building, since it would be a great location for either retail, or a large office space. It just happened to be too close to the Sears store (only a freeway separating the two) so the corporate suits didn't want to keep both of them going.

Of course this one wasn't all that state of the art either. Or at least I don't think it was.... I don't think I had actually been in the store since the 1990s.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Yeah the old Kmart building here has been vacant for years. Not sure why they can't fill the building, since it would be a great location for either retail, or a large office space. It just happened to be too close to the Sears store (only a freeway separating the two) so the corporate suits didn't want to keep both of them going.

Of course this one wasn't all that state of the art either. Or at least I don't think it was.... I don't think I had actually been in the store since the 1990s.
    Someone is paying the property tax on it and in prime retail locations the county appraises high. Makes no sense for it to be empty because you lose money on commercial real estate if there is no income coming in from it. Some of your biggest overhead is insurance and taxes and they exist whether it's rented or not.

Some of these outfits negotiate a tax free deal and then they can use an empty building as a tax write off. Who knows. Sometimes things that don't make sense make sense when you look at the overall picture. Also, the CEO will get paid lots of money regardless of their performance. You can run a company into the ground and come out smelling like a rose when you are on top.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-24-2014 at 01:46 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    The irony is thousands of free HD photos of abandoned shopping malls online.
    When I was doing case studies in the late 80's I came across some data that showed we had six times the retail in the US that was needed at the time. Since then more stores have been built and there is internet competition. We are going to see a big shake out in retail and commercial real estate in general. In the US we have an aging population and no following baby boom. The next generation who are needed to drive the economy are saddled with a house mortgage worth of student loan debt. Most can't find jobs with their degrees and many live with their parents.

Not exactly the people who are going to be buying a lot of stuff or a new home. So we are going to see a decline in real estate and another problem with homes and buildings is they last a long time. They are usually remodeled instead of being torn down and new ones built. So a long downturn in real estate and construction is going to be the result and they aren't going to be the investment opportunities they have been for the last 50 years.

So get ready to see more empty buildings in general.

So what will save us is some sort of massive tragedy that wipes out most the real estate and to pass the time, the surviving people have sex like mad. Since all the birth control has been wiped out the women have babies and since the only thing left to do is to fuck, they have baby after baby. This creates a new baby boom. When the babies grow up they need houses and places to buy shit. A new booming economy happens.

So pray for more earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, pestilence and war. Like the bible says. You got to go through the shit to get to the land of milk and honey.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Some of these outfits negotiate a tax free deal and then they can use an empty building as a tax write off. Who knows. Sometimes things that don't make sense make sense when you look at the overall picture. Also, the CEO will get paid lots of money regardless of their performance. You can run a company into the ground and come out smelling like a rose when you are on top.
    *cough*cough* Bain *cough* Capital *cough*cough*

Sorry. Scratchy throat.

27. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-24-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What. You don't think big retailers get property tax breaks? A lot of corporations do. I saw one city give away the farm for a solar panel manufacturer only to see the company run out of money before the plant was finished. A scrap dealer made an offer on what was completed and no jobs resulted. Politicians will give away the store for bribes or for jobs they can claim they brought for re-election. That's why if you run a small business most politicians don't give a rat's ass about you. You don't bribe them enough and you don't have the big name or hire enough people to brag about.

The funny thing is the mayor who negotiated the solar company deal used that as bragging rights to get re-elected but he failed in his campaign. This is how stupid many of these politicians are.

So who knows what the big picture is unless you know what the overall accounting/financial strategies are and what deals have been made. Sometimes a piece of shit is an asset for somebody and piece of garbage to others.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-24-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    11-15-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The first house my grandfather built was a Sears and Roebuck mail order house. You built the foundation and the wood and other parts were delivered. If you were a good builder and followed the instructions you got a pretty decent house. Since all the wood was cut and shaped in an industrial wood working factory everything fit tight. My dad always bought Sears stuff because if it broke they would replace it and you could always get parts.

Sears used to mean quality for the dollar but maybe they let the quality slip, the prices rise and they never marketed the brand very well in the later years. Plus there is too much retail for the demand right now and a shakeout is needed. It looks like Sears is going to go the way of Oldsmobile. A historic brand that once meant quality but became forgotten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home
    The house my grandfather lived in... his entire married life was one of those. It's still standing and my family owns it. Used to love sears. I went in there recently and I must have been the one in the entire store.. period!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2017 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have a friend that used to be "pretty high up the food chain" for a large US retailer. They acquired a bunch of stores from a rival in the Atlanta area, and the FTC made them shut a few down due to regulations (too many stores in a square mile area owned by the same company). They just left it vacant for years, rather than leasing it to a competitor.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I'll miss Sears for one reason. It was easy to get new electronics at Sears for half price. You get a friend to buy something you want and then return it. Then you buy it for half price as a returned item. The salespeople didn't give a shit. They even let me buy stuff I returned for half price as long as I paid cash.
    Do you even read what you type or do you just fade in and out and hit send? You cannot simply buy a $2,000 TV, return it and get it for $1,000.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think half of what c-dog posts exists only in the fiction of his own mind. He once claimed that he bought vodka at Big Lots stores, and then when it was pointed out that particular retail chain doesn't sell alcohol (except for the non drinkable rubbing alcohol kind) he denied ever saying it.

33. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-28-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think half of what c-dog posts exists only in the fiction of his own mind.
    Only half? Come on FORD, we all know it's more like 99.9%.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah... I was trying to be diplomatic about it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think c-dog and Nitro should write a TV series

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

A reality show called the One Uppers?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Neutered Dog Express

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nitrous Dog! Or NyQuil Dog...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Leg Humpers

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Do you even read what you type or do you just fade in and out and hit send? You cannot simply buy a $2,000 TV, return it and get it for $1,000.
    Never said I did. Last time I bought anything at Sears was at least ten years ago. The most expensive TVs they had back then were only a few hundred dollars. After Christmas they had shelves full of open box items marked down anywhere from 25% to 50% off. Circuit City and Best Buy used to mark down open box items too. I've purchased returned items missing instructions and or remotes for less than half price.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think half of what c-dog posts exists only in the fiction of his own mind.
    You mean like your stories about the BCE?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I think c-dog and Nitro should write a TV series
    I'll write one about you and Ford and call it The Assholes.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think half of what c-dog posts exists only in the fiction of his own mind. He once claimed that he bought vodka at Big Lots stores, and then when it was pointed out that particular retail chain doesn't sell alcohol (except for the non drinkable rubbing alcohol kind) he denied ever saying it.
    You're full of shit as usual. Big Lots might not sell hard alcohol but they sell cheap wine and such. I can't say if I said I bought any vodka at Big Lots or Pic And Save. Doubtful I did because I can't recall the last time I bought Vodka anywhere. I don't care for vodka.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Never said I did. Last time I bought anything at Sears was at least ten years ago. The most expensive TVs they had back then were only a few hundred dollars. After Christmas they had shelves full of open box items marked down anywhere from 25% to 50% off. Circuit City and Best Buy used to mark down open box items too. I've purchased returned items missing instructions and or remotes for less than half price.
    Circuit City is out of business now, and Sears is well on the way. Maybe they were taking back too many returns from scam artists?

Thread Information