• Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

How Steve Stevens Almost Joined David Lee Roth’s Band

How Steve Stevens Almost Joined David Lee Roth’s Band
    by Matthew Wilkening October 26, 2014 9:13 AM

Read More: How Steve Stevens Almost Joined David Lee Roth's Band | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...ckback=tsmclip

Longtime Billy Idol guitarist Steve Stevens has revealed that he was invited to join David Lee Roth‘s solo band shortly after the singer’s departure from Van Halen.

“I met Dave, he came to my apartment, we went to lunch,” Stevens tells the Double Stop podcast. ”[But] I said, ‘Look, I’m in the middle of finishing up this Idol record [1986's 'Whiplash Smile'], I’m not gonna leave, and I’m committed to touring behind it. So you would have to wait for me.’ And by then he already had Billy Sheehan in the band. And he said, ‘I don’t think I can wait for you. Have you ever heard of this guy Steve Vai?’ I knew him from the [Frank] Zappa stuff. I said, ‘He’s an incredible guitar player. Him and Billy would be phenomenal together.’ So I passed on the Roth gig.”
    However, Stevens still ended up having a big impact on the sound of Roth’s debut album, ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile,’ when producer Ted Templeman sent out an S.O.S. from their New York City recording studio. “I think Dave wanted to record in New York ’cause he wanted to get away from the Van Halen thing. But they were having issues getting a good guitar sound with Steve. Ted asked me to meet up with Steve and give him some pointers. He was using Carvin gear or something. So I called Ted and said, ‘You’re not gonna get a good guitar sound out of that stuff.’ I said, ‘Let me send over my gear. I’ll send over all my Marshall stuff.’ So that’s all my equipment on that first David Lee Roth record. I mean, that first record is just phenomenal.”

The rest of the hour-plus interview with Stevens is equally illuminating. He explains how Steve Howe of Yes opened his eyes to the world of rock guitar, how and why he left and rejoined Idol’s band, and what it was like helping Motley Crue singer Vince Neil launch his solo career, among many other things. You can listen to the entire episode here.
    Stevens and Idol will soon be on the road in support of their new album, ‘Kings & Queens of the Underground.’
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I went into this music exchange store in the mid 80's and there was this Carvin tube head for a really cheap price. I asked the guy if it worked and he said don't bother to plug in because I would hate the amp. LOL! At least the guy was honest. Maybe it came back a few times and he wanted to avoid a next time.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

But they were having issues getting a good guitar sound with Steve.
      Yeah, ain't that the truth!

I might have preferred Steve Stevens, but then again, he's a bit one-dimensional. It's not like he and Vince Neil exactly set the world on fire..
      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-26-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Somebody once made a convincing post that Dave would almost inevitably ended up working with Randy Rhodes had he not been Buddy Holly'ed...

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think Steve worked out fine. There was that interplay with him and Billy Sheehan. The whole giggling guitar and Roth funning around at the beginning of Yankee Rose is a great lead into the song. Eat Em and Smile was not Van Halen. It was something different but it was very Dave and Steve Vai added his unique flavor to the stew. He did his own thing. I would have hated to see a Eddie copy cat up there.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Too bad Dave can't release his year old album worth of recordings he did with John. Sure would be nice to talk about some new news or music.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                Too bad Dave can't release his year old album worth of recordings he did with John. Sure would be nice to talk about some new news or music.
                Yup. The moment that disc is released is the moment we know it's over...
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                  Yup. The moment that disc is released is the moment we know it's over...
                  Even I, with all the BS I talk about wolfie and stuff, don't want the VH thing to be over. I'd just like to see/hear/buy this new record. There's no reason Dave can't do a side project or two.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Even I, with all the BS I talk about wolfie and stuff, don't want the VH thing to be over. I'd just like to see/hear/buy this new record. There's no reason Dave can't do a side project or two.
                    Well, had he worked with LL Cool J, there might not have been a problem with releasing the cd.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I remember geeking out over piecing together the fact that the picture of Steve in a Carvin ad served as the photo reference to the Flex-Able album (that's right, album) cover.
                      image.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                        Well, had he worked with LL Cool J, there might not have been a problem with releasing the cd.
                        That couldn't be any worse than that country song he did with Travis Tritt. Talk abouta terd...

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

That couldn't be any worse than that country song he did with Travis Tritt. Talk abouta terd...
                          That was an accident. Dave was a little drunk that night, and thought he was working with Sobolewski again.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

It would have been interesting - I sense that Steve Stevens can adapt his style for pretty much anyone.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Didnt Steve Stevens and seb Bach butcher/pub band/guitar hero a van tune posted on here .
                              I know am a tough audience but if they played the fat ox like that the clink of brown ale would be deafening
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...