X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TitanTopper
    Groupie
    • Mar 2012

Who is/was the driving force?

I am huge EVH fan and think he is a genius, but he seems to be the most unmotivated and fucked up person there is. The stories about VH in the early days seem to portray them as extremely driven. Was it just Dave or Ed too? We all know Dave was driven and his need to be The Man. What about WVH...seems a bit laid back from a personality stand point. At least we know he is CURRENTLY working. Thoughts?
    "Hey man, that suit is you!!"
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Ed is not motivated to do anything nowadays. Not sure he ever was. He was driven by youth and energy. He did more for civilization before he was 30 than most do in a lifetime.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I think Ed enjoys his new wife and wants to enjoy what he has earned. I don't think he's too hungry to go back on the road.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

In the early days they were driven to avoid regular jobs... They succeeded.

Now they work when they have to... which ain't often.
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• mh5150
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2010

Making music and touring for EVH has to be a double edge sword. Huge triggers for an recovering addict/alcoholic.

WHERE IS THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN? 📢📢📢📡📡📡

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

If it were only writing and performing music, it wouldn't be an issue for EVH.

The problem is that EVH despises everything else related to being a "rockstar". He's said it himself several times. He begrudgingly acknowledges anything from the fans and he hates anything to do with the media.

The result is that even this last tour, when VH (read: DLR) did at least SOME promotion for ADKOT, they did absolutely NO MEDIA and very very little social media interaction. And that, my friends, is fucking unreal in today's music world. That's also why you don't see anything like a "Behind The Music" documentary, no box sets, etc.

Now if it were left for Dave to do? There's no doubt VH would be a much better suited for today's music world. But since it's obvious at this point that EVH is calling the shots, we're left to be content that we'll eventually get another VH album, with minimal publicity, no media, nothing extra for the fans, and then they'll go out on tour, again with no publicity.

So if EVH has any "driving force", it is strictly talking about his musical genius, but absolutely nothing more.
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I think Ed enjoys his new wife
              That's a man, babayyyyy!!!
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                If it were only writing and performing music, it wouldn't be an issue for EVH.

The problem is that EVH despises everything else related to being a "rockstar". He's said it himself several times. He begrudgingly acknowledges anything from the fans and he hates anything to do with the media.

The result is that even this last tour, when VH (read: DLR) did at least SOME promotion for ADKOT, they did absolutely NO MEDIA and very very little social media interaction. And that, my friends, is fucking unreal in today's music world. That's also why you don't see anything like a "Behind The Music" documentary, no box sets, etc.

Now if it were left for Dave to do? There's no doubt VH would be a much better suited for today's music world. But since it's obvious at this point that EVH is calling the shots, we're left to be content that we'll eventually get another VH album, with minimal publicity, no media, nothing extra for the fans, and then they'll go out on tour, again with no publicity.

So if EVH has any "driving force", it is strictly talking about his musical genius, but absolutely nothing more.
                I think a lot of people have a huge misconception about DLR. I think he is much more like Ed, than a lot of us would like to admit.

Ask some of Dave's former employees why they don't (can't) so much as tell stories about Dave. Ask them why they have to be VERY careful when asked about their days working for Dave.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  I think a lot of people have a huge misconception about DLR. I think he is much more like Ed, than a lot of us would like to admit.

Ask some of Dave's former employees why they don't (can't) so much as tell stories about Dave. Ask them why they have to be VERY careful when asked about their days working for Dave.
                  I really wasn't referring to how Dave interacts with the people around him, but rather how Dave makes the attempt to reach out to fans compared to EVH.

Meaning, at least Dave (though Shelly) gave the VH websites the pics/videos, not to mention the passes for the shows. At least Dave puts out The Roth Show, albeit with mostly mind-numbing subject material. I also firmly believe that Dave was the one behind the band doing the unplugged stuff. I don't think EVH had anything to do with any of that.

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Now if it were left for Dave to do? There's no doubt VH would be a much better suited for today's music world.
                    Oh really ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Dave puts out The Roth Show, albeit with mostly mind-numbing subject material.
                      Exactly my point...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Oh really ??
                        Not their best work, I'll grant ya that. Although I do like the lyrics.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Exactly my point...
                          Well, I guess the question then becomes would you rather DLR not do that at all?

I know what your answer would be, but for everybody else.

Personally, I could take it or leave it. Now if he concentrated on VH stuff, now you'd have my full attention.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I really wasn't referring to how Dave interacts with the people around him, but rather how Dave makes the attempt to reach out to fans compared to EVH.

Meaning, at least Dave (though Shelly) gave the VH websites the pics/videos, not to mention the passes for the shows. At least Dave puts out The Roth Show, albeit with mostly mind-numbing subject material. I also firmly believe that Dave was the one behind the band doing the unplugged stuff. I don't think EVH had anything to do with any of that.
                            Dave is not dumb. Dave is very shrewd. He didn't do any of that to reach out to the fans. He did that stuff to put asses in the seats.

Other than the Roth show, I think Dave has been great at leaving the fans always wanting more. The problem is, we have to wait many years to get more.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate Dave's influence on the most recent VH stuff. Tour. Music. Promotion. Allowing photography/recording. But let's be real here. If we weren't putting money in his pocket, Dave wouldn't give one fuck about the fans.

I don't think Dave trusts very many people, and I don't blame him.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Well, I guess the question then becomes would you rather DLR not do that at all?
                              I would rather him not do that at all. I'd much rather have him doing the stuff he does best. The Roth Show isn't Dave at his best, in my opinion. I can think of a lot better stuff Dave could be giving us to tide us over until something happens with or without VH.

Comment

Working...