• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grit
    Roadie
    • Oct 2011

Van Halen Live DVD Rumored

Per Ultimate Classic Rock:

Van Halen are reportedly preparing a live DVD in November 2014.

We’ve been told in no uncertain terms that Van Halen‘s long-awaited “secret project“ is not a new album. Now we have a fresh set of rumors hinting at what it might be instead.

According to Melodic Rock, unidentified sources close to the band are saying that not only is there “no indication that [David Lee Roth] has even been in real contact with the brothers let alone done any recording on ‘new’ songs,” but there are “no plans whatsoever to record a new album.” Instead, it looks like plans are afoot to release a live DVD.

The project is being described as “archival,” which will no doubt raise fans’ hopes for officially released footage from the band’s early ’80s tours, but Melodic Rock’s sources say it’ll instead be drawn from Van Halen’s 2007-08 reunion tour with Roth, specifically from the May 23, 2008, stop at New York’s Madison Square Garden. (You can check out the set list here.)

Given that this was a pivotal tour in late-period VH, it makes sense that it’d surface at some point, but it does seem a little odd that they’d decide to release it now. It’s been nearly three years since the band’s most recent album, and there’s plenty of pent-up demand for new product; one would think that the sensible thing would be to either buckle down and finish another LP or take a deep dive into the video vaults and dig up something truly archival.

And hey, who knows? They might do either (or both) of those things. At this point, we’re dealing with rumors.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Who knows how true this is? . . . good news about a long awaited DVD but not good for a new album !!
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I saw them them the week before the MSG gig in Baltimore and Dave was in top form vocally.

This was after Eddie's 'bad period' on that tour and he was fine. Even so I'm sure most people would prefer a release of older material, the use of tapes and Wolfgang was very young means in 2008 it could come across a bit lifeless and if you were going to do it why wait 6 years?

Maybe it will be a retrospective mixture of old and new.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Oh boy. I can't wait for this one!

Fucking idiots.

The genius VH marketing machine is at it again.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Apr 2005

believe this when it's in my hand, What July 2019 ???? But it was a good tour for Dave. Unlike 2012. I have a boot of M.S.G. that year. It's good. Baltimore is better. But that might be just the sound of the boot. I'll take anything at this point. 08 was a strong finish for them. Wolf looked too young too be up there. But who cares. Nothing with Mike on it will ever come out as long as Ed is still breathing. So that's wish full thinking. The guy is too much a prick too pretend that era existed !

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Gee, where do I sign up for the pre-sale?

Ah, I'll pass. I've got so many boots from that tour here in the Redneck Army DVD Studios that one more would just get in the way. Sure, it would be cleaner, sound better, blah blah blah, so what. Just give us some old stuff, you can keep the "new VH" footage for when I give a shit.

The one thing that does ring true in that post was the whole Dave's not been in contact with the band part. I'm sure that's exactly how things are.
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Since this is coming from Andrew and his famous "sources" I'm not taking it all that seriously, but it wouldn't surprise me. Though if they were going to release a DVD of a post-reunion show, wouldn't the ADKOT tour be a better choice? No worry about the "canned Sobolewski backing vocals" or whatever.

And if Dave wanted to "touch up" his vocals in the studio, it wouldn't be different than any other live album or video released commercially.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Touch up ??

You're joking, right ??

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Touch up ??

You're joking, right ??
                I think he meant have Ralph come in and do the vocals
                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Raaaalph ??

No thanks...

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't know if I'd even bother downloading this.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think I put a comment on FB recently about the Robert Plant thing where he was offered 1 bazillion dollars to do a tour with the pedo guitarist and I think he knocked it back because he knows he can't do it justice any more and I think that is a completely perfectly correct approach.

If someone offers me a million dollars to sing Poker Face in a thong at halftime in the Superbowl some of you are going to enjoy that but most people aren't. I maybe would still consider it for the money but Plant doesn't have to and those 2 tours mean that Van Halen don't need to now either for better or worse...

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've said all along that Plant won't do the Zep reunion because he knows he can't hit the high notes (pretty much what you are saying) and that he just isn't interested in rehashing the past any more.

A for today's VH "news"...sometimes I think Andrew goes into "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" mode. Today is one of those days.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          I maybe would still consider it for the money...
                          Enough said...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

I'm skeptical about the DVD, but I do firmly believe there is zero going on album wise (or anything else wise). Hasn't Wolf been working on the Tremonti album? They'll probably tour behind that for several months at least, so he won't be available for a while. Gee, too bad there isn't a bass player free who has the chops, knows all the old songs and would make the fans happy by being in the band. Damn shame that guy doesn't exist, right?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Enough said...
                              What do you mean by that?

Comment

Working...