Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen Secretly Planning for 2015 Tour ???

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think there's some validity to both what RD and Zah were saying....

Let's face it, we dumbasses that waste our time on VH message boards every day for 15 years are a small fraction who would like to go see VH in concert....

So yes, if you're my age and grew up with classic rock, and you look out the back window of my house to see the VA Beach Ampitheater, whose concert lineup (so far) is chock full of nothing but redneck acts and Dave Matthews, hell yeah, I'm going to see Van Halen on a hot summer night (pardon the Hagarita pun)....

And I think a lot of other casual rock fans will as well... I know many, many people who will gladly pay $39 to sit way up in the lawn, drink their $11 beers, and enjoy hearing those great tunes once again.... They don't give a fuck if Dave can't do his splits off the riser anymore, and frankly, while most would PREFER if Mikey was there, it's not going to be a showstopper that they won't go if he's not.....

Will people cringe when they hear Dave yelp? Absolutely.... But I also think it's fair to say that most people will not come close to critiquing the show like we're going to do, agreed?

I agree 100%, releasing a live album from 2013 Tokyo was a horrible decision, especially since we KNOW there's some great shit in "the vault".....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I just don't get the next step which is VH will draw 1/3 full houses and all that. Sorry but its going to be mostly full again...sorry to disappoint.
    There you go acting like Clichegar/Redhead fan again. I hate to break it to you, but 11,000 out of 20,000 plus seat houses, ain't "mostly full". It's barely half full.

Wish I were a black curtain salesman!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know what a Clichegar fan is.

But averaging over 11,500 or whatever it was turned out to be a top 10 (was it 8?) of all tours for 2012 for an Act that is done from your perspective.

They beat out a number of relevant artists in the process. These are just facts not whatever clichegar fan means.

I think there are 3 20,000 houses in North America....Most have 17k, 16k or whatever. Configurations dependant on artist or in the round setup.

11,500 is a top 10 draw. These are just facts Von...I know math is hard but try and work with it
    Roth Army Canada

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think people are starving for decent tunes played live. Really played live. The tour will be successful for no other reason than that...succeed despite the Tokyo album

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know what a Clichegar fan is.

But averaging over 11,500 or whatever it was turned out to be a top 10 (was it 8?) of all tours for 2012 for an Act that is done from your perspective.

They beat out a number of relevant artists in the process. These are just facts not whatever clichegar fan means.

I think there are 3 20,000 houses in North America....Most have 17k, 16k or whatever. Configurations dependant on artist or in the round setup.

11,500 is a top 10 draw. These are just facts Von...I know math is hard but try and work with it
    Canadian math?

There are two 20,000 plus venues right here in Detroit. So we own 2 of the 3 in North America.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Canadian math?

There are two 20,000 plus venues right here in Detroit. So we own 2 of the 3 in North America.
    I guess there isn't anything else to do in Detroit? You tell me...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So we have a range of 23,500 (if they were "in the round") at Greensboro down to 15,000 in a bunch of venues in the US shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...as_by_capacity

However, the number that a venue can hold for concerts is about 5,000 or more less than the capacity (details below)

Rogers Arena

800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 6G1

Opened

Owner
    Canucks Sports & Entertainment

Operator
    Canucks Sports & Entertainment

Construction cost
    $160 million

Architect
    Brisbin, Brook and Beynon

Tenants
    Vancouver Canucks (NHL) (1995-present)
    Vancouver Grizzlies (National Basketball Association) (1995-2001)
    Vancouver Ravens (National Lacrosse League) (2001-2004)
    Vancouver Voodoo (Roller Hockey International) (1996)

Capacity
    Ice hockey: 18,630
    Basketball: 19,193
    Concert: 14,000

Again, a top ten draw every year so far playing in areas beyond the top 20 markets. Only a handful of acts are pulling it off. Van Halen being one of them Its just how it is.

I suppose if it is convenient for your argument to say how full it is % wise then go right ahead. But the fact remains they are a top draw still based on stats, including Canadian ones.

So if the average venue is like this one...where concert capacity is 14,000. And Van Halen averaged 11,500 last tour, that puts them at 82% capacity every night.

Math is a bitch aint it Von?
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-10-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Again, a top ten draw every year so far playing in areas beyond the top 20 markets. Only a handful of acts are pulling it off. Van Halen being one of them Its just how it is.
    Van Halen hasn't toured since July of '84.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Updated Van Halen tour date rumors, according to reports from contacts in these venues:

3. Molson Canadian Ampitheatre, Toronto, ON, July 26th
    I have to wash my hair that night.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    I have to wash my hair that night.

That date is a little less firm than the others, but we'll see in a couple of weeks I suppose....

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...

I doubt he'll wash his hair...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe the next night...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Montreal wasn't a sell out the last tour but its a pretty big arena. Was hoping to see them make their way to Halifax but no chance. Haven't played there since Fair Warning even though it would be a guaranteed sell out. Looks like Montreal again for me unless Bangor is a go. I hear it's not a great venue though. Open field with some chairs.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Canadian math?

Speaking of Detroit venues...I was surprised to see Madonna is playing the Joe and not the Palace.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Madonna not selling in Toronto like she has in the past. Lots of tickets left. $350 for lower bowl back of arena. Sweet Jesus.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Never understood the fucked up idea that VH suffered any drop in ticket sales. It's a completely false statement.

Fact is they simply just didn't sell out too many venues. No big deal in this current day and age considering higher ticket prices and so forth.

Here are the factual figures.

Total Attendance: 522, 296 divided by 46 shows equals an average of: 11, 354 people per show.

Total Gross : $ 54,425,548 divided by 46 shows equals an average of: $ 1, 183, 164 per show.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne.../view/id/52139

Other acts such as AC/DC, KISS and Motley Crue actually draw more fans to their shows these past ten years than VH. They have a higher profile and fanbase. Better management and more promotion as well as lower ticket prices.
    Last edited by big fatty; 03-15-2015 at 09:37 PM.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    Never understood the fucked up idea that VH suffered any drop in ticket sales. It's a completely false statement.

Fact is they simply just didn't sell out too many venues. No big deal in this current day and age considering higher ticket prices and so forth.

Here are the factual figures.

Total Attendance: 522, 296 divided by 46 shows equals an average of: 11, 354 people per show.

Total Gross : $ 54,425,548 divided by 46 shows equals an average of: $ 1, 183, 164 per show.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne.../view/id/52139

Exactly...the average concert setup attendance maximum is in actual fact 14,000 (based on a 19,000 hockey/basketball capacity).

Like I said in a previous post, that puts VH at over 80% capacity every night and with tix that are at the higher end.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Canadian math?

So what. Who gives a fuck.

Those venues are for sports.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly...the average concert setup attendance maximum is in actual fact 14,000 (based on a 19,000 hockey/basketball capacity).

Like I said in a previous post, that puts VH at over 80% capacity every night and with tix that are at the higher end.
    Yeah exactly I forgot to click your post there.

I thought I was the only one from Vancouver online. You remember in 2007 when VH played here it was almost sold out. Probably around 90% capacity or so.....

....But the very next week Bon Jovi played GM Place and completely sold out two nights.

I thought to myself thats kinda fucked up. But realize they just have more fans that appeal to a broader audience.

Nowadays, even Motley Crue recently sold out the same venue. AC/DC play BC Place.

It's because VH hardy promote themselves at all properly anymore. But still manage to do fairly well.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So what. Who gives a fuck.

You must give a fuck. You quoted the post. Those venues host concerts, and seat over 20,000. You another dumbass trying to sugarcoat the fact that the arenas were barely over half full, and will be less on the next tour? To say there are only a few venues in North America hosting concerts that are 20,000 seat venues, is retarded.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You must give a fuck. You quoted the post. Those venues host concerts, and seat over 20,000. You another dumbass trying to sugarcoat the fact that the arenas were barely over half full, and will be less on the next tour? To say there are only a few venues in North America hosting concerts that are 20,000 seat venues, is retarded.
    No, You said in your post 2 of the 3 venues that held over 20, 000 were in your town. So that's why I said Who gives a fuck. No idea what that has to do with anything.

I'm just stating simple facts. Who gives a shit how many seats the venue holds. Fact is most of the shows did well over 10,000.

You are mentioning venues that SEAT 20,000, but not ALL of those seats can be sold at a concert. Dumbass.

Barely over half full my ass. From what I've seen and read from reviews the whole tour was at least 80% full on average.

Unless you think the seats behind the stage should count.

When you are in the venues you can see the empty seats behind the stage, up top in the nosebleeds , and a few seats scattered around the rest of the venue. Which is no big deal.

You make it sound like VH were playing to half empty arenas. Which is bullshit.

Unless your psychic there's no way to know what the attendance will be like on the upcoming tour. My guess is it will be about the same.

The Australian show did look a little odd from the video footage clearly that stadium was far too big for VH.
    Last edited by big fatty; 03-15-2015 at 11:17 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Other acts such as AC/DC, KISS and Motley Crue actually draw more fans to their shows these past ten years than VH. They have a higher profile and fanbase. Better management and more promotion as well as lower ticket prices.
    More promotion?

The most remarkable thing about the whole Van Halen thing in the last 7 years is how little promotion they have done. Howard Hughs rock.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    What the hell is that supposed to mean. Got something to say. Say it.

Obviously the venues are for sports it goes without saying.

Point of the matter is VH drew healthy sized audiences on the last tour.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The slightly strange thing for me in this little internet argument is that for me the ideal is the smallest most full venue.

This works at even the extremes, would you rather have seen VH at Madison Square Garden or Club Wha?

I realize that the point is they wouldn't do it at all if it gets small or that you don't want to be in a half full venue even if there are still 8000 people there but conversely smaller venues are always better as an experience. A theatre or a 2000 capacity venue is always going to be better than the local 'Walmart Arena' and cheaper too usually.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If I see them at cafe wha do I have to have the melt down to
    fuck your fucking framing

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lol. Von, you do know that a 20,000 seat arena does not seat 20,000 for a concert typically, correct? Maybe "in the round".

20,000 means at capacity for standard events with all seats.

Typically most shows do not sell tix for behind the stage.

So the remaining seats are 14,000 capacity for a 19,000 seat arena, probably 15,000 capacity for a 20,000 seat arena.

Not barely half full...seriously man, you ok? I cant present the facts any clearer for you except to literally pull all the data for concert capacity.

I showed you one venue's stats...they are all the same man.

over 80% full on average...some more some less. So that would be substantially more than half. Just so we don't get more confused, half would be 50%.

So 80% is more than 50%.
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-15-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who gives a fuck ??

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Got something to say. Say it.
    I did...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True. I'm just worried about Von is all. I don't want him to miss any medication and stop on some train tracks or something thinking its a drive in movie or retro diner.

We have to help each other Elvis when we can. EOD...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Who gives a fuck ??
    Nobody. This "tour" isn't even official. I'm sure VH will sell tickets in every city. But it ain't Van Halen....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    what tour ?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True. I'm just worried about Von is all. I don't want him to miss any medication and stop on some train tracks or something thinking its a drive in movie or retro diner.

We have to help each other Elvis when we can. EOD...
    Ha! You're worried about the only guy here who has actually spent time on the road around Dave? Fucking hilarious.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It might be...Get Ready...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Ha! You're worried about the only guy here who has actually spent time on the road around Dave? Fucking hilarious.
    I am just screwing with Von, but still, the signs are there...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Yeah but he did buy Sammy's buggy to shoot for grannies.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am just screwing with Von, but still, the signs are there...
    Show me a "sign".

I could care less how many tickets they sell in any city. It ain't Van Halen. No more than it was Van Halen when Sammy was singing or Gary was singing. It ain't fuckin Van Halen. This band will always sell tickets on any tour. But will it be a "stellar production" or 3/4s of the greatest band that ever took the field? And IF Dave can't pull out the vocals then what did you really pay for? To see Dave and Ed hug? Fuck that. Been there, done that, bought the shirt.

Dave repeatedly said that the music should look like it sounds, right? But I say it should sound like it's supposed to sound. Screw the visual at this point. Dave is a tatted up, bald headed freak that runs around Japan and New York wearing wrestling masks. Hell, he even puts masks on his dog! The guy is an absolute train wreck of incredible proportions. And the only thing he can bring at this point is his voice. And IF he can't bring it for a live record - recorded in his new adopted home - then he's nothing more than a fruit cake running around with a camera.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well I don't give a fuck much more than you don't give a fuck and that's a lot of not giving a fuck.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lol, you do know that a 20,000 seat arena does not seat 20,000 for a concert typically, correct? Maybe "in the round".

20,000 means at capacity for standard events with all seats.

Typically most shows do not sell tix for behind the stage.

So the remaining seats are 14,000 capacity for a 19,000 seat arena, probably 15,000 capacity for a 20,000 seat arena.

Not barely half full...seriously man, you ok? I cant present the facts any clearer for you except to literally pull all the data for concert capacity.

I showed you one venue's stats...they are all the same man.

over 80% full on average...some more some less. So that would be substantially more than half. Just so we don't get more confused, half would be 50%.

So 80% is more than 50%.
    Actually it can get quite confusing more you think of it.....because there are also seats put on the floor that wouldn't be there for Hockey and Basketball games. So they would make up for some of the unusable seats behind the stage at a concert.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually it can get quite confusing more you think of it.....because there are also seats put on the floor that wouldn't be there for Hockey and Basketball games. So they would make up for some of the unusable seats behind the stage at a concert.
    True...that is why I went to one specific venue...the one in Vancouver where Van Halen played and looked at what the capacity was for specific events...like I said, 19,000 for hockey, `14,000 for concerts. All these venues are the same.

Thread Information