Thread: Van Halen crazily mirrors a sports team

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    12-11-2014 @ 03:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen crazily mirrors a sports team

I randomly thought of a couple identical facts between the Edmonton Oilers, my favourite NHL team and Van Halen, my favorite band and thought there may be more. The more I looked into it, the more these strange mirroring became apparent and the more my mind became blown. Thought I'd share it with you all.

They both formed in 1972.

They both had name change(s). Originally called the Alberta Oilers. Originally called Genesis, then Mammoth, then VH.

Both did the bulk of their best work in the 80’s. Van Halen arguably peaked in 1984. The Oilers started their peak in 1984 by winning their 1st of 5 Stanley Cups in a 7 year run.

They both “broke up" in the 80’s. Wayne Gretzky was traded. David Lee Roth... umm yeah I won't go there.

Both had some success after their breakups but nothing like previously. The Oilers with their "lunchpail" teams(worked hard but not much talent) that barely squeaked into the playoffs(sometimes with sub .500 records) and Van Halen with Sammy Hagar singing(sometimes with too many subs in his belly). But it just wasn’t the same success for either group.

1996 had David Lee Roth briefly rejoin VH for singing on two new songs on their Greatest Hits album. 1996 was the Oilers first return to the playoffs with the "lunchpail" team.

Both had a brief comeback in 2006. Oilers with their cinderella Stanley Cup Final appearance. David Lee Roth rejoined VH for a World Tour.

Van Halen finally released their first “reunited” album in 2012 with their “rebuilt” band(Wolfgang VH "replacing" Michael Anthony, DLR now singing) which we thought was the new beginning. The Oilers drafted their 3rd straight 1st overall pick in 2012 which was heralded as the new beginning of the “rebuilt” team(they look like they are in for yet another bottom 3 finish again this year )

Been waiting for those new beginnings to take the next step ever since then.

Oh and I suppose you could equate Gary Cherrone to Steve Tambellini(the GM who is the architect of the recently brutal version of the Oilers). They are both complete failures at leading their groups.

The future? Well the Oilers are building a new arena, due to open in 2016. Could that be the same year for a new VH record?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

VH is a lot like the Oilers except that I love VH.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information