FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

French idioms

Some French people will complain about the growing number of English words in their language, but many of them ignore that English includes an uncomparably much greater proportion of French words than their own language does English ones. So, there's nothing serious to complain about.
    What I deplore is when English words enter French with an improper meaning. It can occur when words have long been introduced, but straight away is just stupid. Why not invent a new word in your own language or use one that already exists, then?
    You can find "supporter" as a noun in the French language, with the English meaning. OK. But French verb supporter means "to bear", and people will use it as if it had that meaning, but it doesn't. They should use soutenir or encourager, but what you hear even in journalists' mouths is the incorrect supporter. What's funny is that "support" was borrowed from French with the meaning of soutenir/encourager.
    I fancied putting in bold type the words that were taken from French in the first paragraph. Some like surprise, conversation, expression or language ("langage") have kept their original meanings, while other words have slightly, partly or completely changed in meaning, like phrase or figure.
    I corrected a few spelling mistakes here and there ("Honni soit qui mal y pense", "l'esprit d'escalier" and "mise en abîme").
    English has grown in Britain which is a place that was always being invaded with new languages in addition with rules and cultures, language changes are a natural thing for English speakers.

Anyway, here are a few French idioms:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/60462...hould-be-using

20 French Phrases You Should Be Using

Paul Anthony Jones December 5, 2014 - 8:00am

As much as 30 percent of the English language—or roughly one in three English words—is believed to be derived directly from French. It’s a surprisingly high figure due in part to the Norman Conquest of 1066 which made French the language of the law, finance, government, the military, and the ruling classes in England and effectively doubled our vocabulary overnight. But the popularity of French culture and French literature among English speakers has also given our language a whole host of other words and phrases—like mardi gras, avant garde, déjà vu, and femme fatale—that are now so naturalized in English that they can be used without a second thought.
    Alongside everyday examples like these, however, English has also adopted a number of much less familiar French phrases that, despite their potential usefulness, go tragically underused. So why not add a little je ne sais quoi to your everyday conversation with these 20 little-known French expressions?

1. À LA DÉBANDADE

À la basically means “in the style of” or “according to,” and is the root of phrases like à la mode (“stylish”), and à la carte (“on the menu”). À la débandade—literally “like a stampede”—was originally a military term dating from the 18th century, when it was first used to refer to an informal or random course of action, or else a disorderly, scattering retreat or rout. More recently it’s come to be used figuratively in English to describe a disorderly or chaotic mess.

2. AMOUR FOU

Used in English since the early 1900s, an amour fou is an uncontrollable and obsessive passion for someone, and in particular one that is not reciprocated. It literally means “insane love.”

3. L’APPEL DU VIDE

Alongside l’esprit de l’escalier (more on that later), the French expression l’appel du videoften makes its way onto lists of foreign words and phrases that have no real English equivalent. It literally means “the call of the void,” but in practice it’s usually explained as the bizarre inclination some people have for doing something dangerous or deadly, no matter how foolish they know it is. So when you’re standing on a beach, l’appel du vide is the voice that tells you to swim away and never come back. When standing on a clifftop, l’appel du vide tells you to throw yourself off. There mightn’t be an obvious English equivalent, but the concept ofl’appel du vide is related to the psychological notion of intrusive thoughts, and the mythological song of the Siren blamed for luring sailors to their doom.

4. APRÈS MOI, LE DÉLUGE

Après moi, le déluge means “after me, the flood,” and is used to refer to a person’s irresponsible or selfish lack of concern in what will happen after they have gone or moved on. Today it’s often associated with politicians and CEOs looking to secure their own interests at the expense of other people’s, but popular history claims the words were first used by the French king Louis XV, who repeatedly disregarded warnings of discontent among the French people in the lead up to the French Revolution. When the Revolution finally broke out in 1789 (fifteen years after Louis’s death), it eventually led to the execution of his grandson, King Louis XVI, in 1793.

5. CHERCHEZ LA FEMME

Literally meaning “look for the woman,” cherchez la femme is used in English to imply that if a man is seen acting out of character, then a woman will likely be the cause of it—find her, and the issue will be resolved. Although the origins of the phrase are a mystery, it’s often credited to the French author Alexandre Dumas, whose crime drama Les Mohicans de Paris (1854) contains its first written record: “There is a woman in all cases; as soon as a report is brought to me I say, ‘Cherchez la femme!’”

6. COUP DE FOUDRE

Coup de foudre is the French term for a thunderbolt or strike of lightning, but it’s been used figuratively in English since the late 1700s to mean love at first sight.

7. L’ESPRIT D’ESCALIER

Known less romantically as “staircase wit” in English, l’esprit d’escalier is the frustrating phenomenon of coming up with the perfect observation or comeback after the opportunity to use it has passed. The phrase was apparently coined by the 18th century French writer Diderot, who wrote in 1773 that while visiting the French finance minister Jacques Necker, a comment was made to which Diderot was unable to respond. “A sensitive man […] overcome by the argument leveled against him,” he wrote, “becomes confused and can only think clearly again at the bottom of the staircase.”

8. HONNI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

“Shame on him who thinks badly of it,” warns the old Norman French saying honi soit qui mal y pense, which has been used in English to discourage preemptively or unjustly talking something down since the early Middle Ages. The saying has been the motto of The Order of the Garter, the oldest and most prestigious honor awarded in Great Britain, since it was introduced in 1348.

9. MAUVAIS QUART D’HEURE

As well as having your fifteen minutes of fame, you can also have your mauvais quart d’heure (or your “bad quarter of an hour”)—a brief but embarrassing, upsetting, or demoralizing experience.
    10. MAUVAISE HONTE
    Mauvaise honte literally means “bad shame.” In English it’s often used simply to mean bashfulness or extreme shyness, but in its earliest and original sense mauvaise honte has been used since the 18th century to refer to false or effected modesty, in which someone pretends to have a low opinion of themselves or their abilities.

11. MISE EN ABIME

The French word mise essentially means “that which is put,” and as such is the origin of a number of phrases that refer to things being deliberately placed or arranged: a mise en scèneis the dressing of a theatrical stage, a mise en page is the design or layout of a book or page of text, and mise en place is the preparation and organization of all of your ingredients before you start to cook. Mise en abyme is a much less familiar expression that was originally only used in heraldry: the abyme is the center segment of a shield or a coat of arms, and in a mise en abyme this central section is decorated with a smaller image of the same shield. So because this means that this small central image must in turn also contain a small central image of itself (which must in turn also contain the same image, and so on, and so on), the phrase mise en abyme (“put into the abyss”) is used to refer to the mindboggling visual effect of a recurring image containing itself into infinity—like a mirror reflected in a mirror.

12. NOSTALGIE DE LA BOUE

The phrase nostalgie de la boue was coined by the French dramatist Émile Augier in 1855, who used it to refer to a person’s fondness for cruel, crude, depraved, or humiliating things. Its meaning has extended over time however, so that today a nostalgie de la boue is often used more loosely to refer to a desire to live a simpler, downsized, or less indulgent life—it literally means “a yearning for the mud.”

13. PLUS ÇA CHANGE

In 1849 an article appeared in a satirical French magazine that denounced the country’s current political situation. Written by a French journalist named Alphonse Karr, the article pessimistically concluded that plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose, or “the more it changes, the more it is the same thing.” Karr’s words soon stuck and by the early 1900s plus ça change had even been adopted into English as a motto indicating a world-weary acceptance of the current state of affairs—although things might appear to change or improve, beneath it all they remain just as bad as before.

14. POUR ENCOURAGER LES AUTRES

The ironic expression pour encourager les autres—meaning “so as to encourage the others”—actually refers to an action carried out to discourage any future unrest or rebellion. It was first used in this context by French journalists in the 18th century following the execution of an English admiral named John Byng. After a long and well-respected naval career, Byng was court-marshaled by the Royal Navy in 1757 for having apparently failed to do his utmost in preventing the French from invading the British-held island of Minorca in the western Mediterranean. Although the charges brought against Byng were trumped-up (and, according to some, politically motivated)—and despite even King George II himself being petitioned to overturn Byng’s death sentence—he was executed by firing squad on board his own ship in Portsmouth Harbour on 14 March 1757. Understandably, the entire situation proved hugely controversial in England, and at the height of Britain’s Seven Years’ War against France became a major news story and source of much anti-British propaganda all across Europe.

15. RECULER POUR MIEUX SAUTER

If you reculer pour mieux sauter, then you literally “draw back in order to leap better.” Derived from an old French proverb, the phrase is used figuratively in both French and English to refer to a temporary withdrawal or pause in action that allows for time to regroup or reassess a situation, and therefore make a better attempt at it in the future.

16. REVENONS À NOS MOUTONS

You’d be forgiven for not quite understanding why someone might say “let us return to our sheep” mid-conversation, but revenons à nos moutons has been used figuratively in English for more than 400 years to mean “let us return to the matter at hand.” The phrase comes from a 15th century French farce, La Farce de Maître Pierre Pathelin, that became one of the most popular stage comedies of its day. It’s this popularity that no doubt helped this line—taken from a central courtroom scene in which one character, accused of stealing sheep, is advised by his lawyer to answer all of the prosecutor’s questions by baaing—to catch on in the language.

17. ROI FAINÉANT

Fainéant is basically the French equivalent of a lazybones or a do-nothing, which makes a roi fainéant literally a “do-nothing king.” The term dates back to the 16th century in France, but has been used since the 1700s in English to refer to a monarch or leader who has no real power and instead acts merely as a figurehead, or as a symbol of power or authority.

18. TANT BIEN QUE MAL

Tant bien que mal has been used in English since the 18th century to describe anything that is only partly or moderately successful. It literally means “as well as badly.”

19. VENTRE À TERRE

Ventre à terre literally means “belly to the ground” in French, and so taken literally it can be used simply to describe someone or something lying face down. Originally, however, it was a term from horse racing, and referred to a horse going at full gallop—so fast that its forelegs are thrown out in front, its hind legs are thrown out backwards, and its belly is directly above the ground. Doing something ventre à terre, ultimately, means doing it at full speed.

20. VIOLON D’INGRES

Oscar-winning actor Forest Whitaker is also a trained operatic tenor. Condoleezza Rice is also a concert pianist. And the acclaimed 18th-19th century French painter Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres also just happened to be an exceptionally talented violinist. Because he was so skilled in two entirely different fields, Ingres inspired the French expression violon d’Ingres(literally “Ingres’s violin”), which refers to a hidden talent or pastime, far outside of what you are best known for, and in which you are just as knowledgeable or adept.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And here's one of David Lowe's papers for TGV Mag, a magazine you can read on our high-speed trains. I never miss his page written in English that's always about thee particularities of French.

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/tgv-...texte-integral

LOST IN TRANSLATION BY DAVID LOWE I find it quite touching how you French adopt an English word into your beautiful language without quite getting it right. Take baskets, for example. "Basket" in English means panier. "J'ai mis mes baskets"sounds tous like, "I put my shopping bags on," which is peculiar, to say the least. "Baskets" is derived from basketball shoes— shoes for playing basketball in. You kept the word "basket" and lost the word "shoe", which is understandable as "shoe" to you sounds like chou. It is just as ridiculous to put cabbages on your feet as it is to put baskets. You assume this use of baskets without complex and without an ounce of irony, so that it sounds rather charming. And while l'm at it, the word "jogging" means petite course a pied. It's not an article of clothing —we call that a tracksuit. A footing is not English, but if I were pushed to give it a meaning, it sounds rather like a visit to the chiropodist. "Sweat" is that wet stuffthat comes out of your pores when you make an effort ; it's not an article of clothingeither. To further confuse matters, you pronounce sweatas "sweet" —i.e. sucre, which, I am sure you'll readily admit, is a step in the wrong direction as "sweat" is rarely "sweet". The origin of your sweat is "sweatshirt" — a sports shirt in which we sweat. Just as with baskets, you've dropped the essential part of the original word "shirt" (chemise). "Je mets mon sweat, mon jogging, et mes baskets pour faire un footing"sounds very strange and quite meaningless to English ears.
    l'm pointing this out, but don't worry about it. Said with an adorable French accent, these little idiosyncrasies are what makes you so irresistible. Technically, these words are what you call faux amis, or faux anglicismes, and I don't want to embarrass you, but there are lots more of them. For example, un brushing is a "blow-dry" —you've kept the "brush" (brosser) part, but forgotten the more important "blowing" part from the seche-cheveux. Un smoking is a "dinner jacket". "Smoking" sounds rather quaint in a cocktails-in-the-colonies-with-Noël-Coward way. In British English, chips are "crisps" and frites are "chips". A caddie isn't a supermarket trolley, but somebody ("caddy") who carries your golf clubs. For parking, we say "car park". Parc is originally a French word which meant "a place to keep animals". We borrowed (stole ?) the word, put a "k" on the end, threw out the animals, SPEAK EASY I TGV magazine 30 then put cars in and called it a "car park". The French re-imported this word, took off the "car" bit and added an "-ing" to get parking. You do this quite a lot actually, putting "-ing" on the end of a word, as if this makes it English :e.g. fooding, dancing, forcing, living, pressing, camping, dressing. Can you undressin a dressing or die in a living, or not smoke in a smoking?
    Words like "bacon", "sex", "fair play", "cool", "striptease", "fun", "surf", "low cost", "playboy" and "thriller" have been imported into the French language tels quels, since these concepts didn't seem to exist in France. They are, however, often pronounced with an accent that makes them incomprehensible to ourAnglo-Saxon ears — un triller, Streep-(as in Meryl)-tease, for example. Sometimes you take a word and, in orderto bluff-the Academie Francaise, tryto pretend it's French by changing its spelling : bifteck (beef steak), bol (bowl), bouledogue (bulldog). This last one is a bit of an insult, as you have taken the "bull" (taureau)out of our nationa I symbol to give this most characteristically British of animals a boule. Fioul is just a phonetic spelling of "fuel", like paquebot (packet boat), redingote (riding coat), or rosbif(roast beef).
    My favourite, which really gives the game away, is talkiewalkie, as you so charmingly say. We Anglo Saxons say "walkie-talkie". The French, a more Latin people, put the emphasis on "talkie" rather than "walkie", while we Anglo Saxons, a less voluble people, put the accent on "walkie" rather than "talkie".
    All this is "lost in translation", a phrase which even when not translated loses its meaning, as it's a quotation from the American poet Robert Frost : "Poetry is what gets lost in translation".
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 12-12-2014 at 08:23 AM.

3. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-12-2014)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's a list of slang idioms that are funny when you tranlate them literally:

1) "je m'en bats les couilles"

literally: "I'm beating my bollocks with it"

meaning: "I don't give a flying fuck about it".

It's been used for a dozen years by French youngsters. And, funnily, even by certain girls.

2) "j'en ai plein le cul"

literally: "my ass is full of it"

meaning: "I'm fucking fed up with it"

3) "ça me fout les glandes"

literally: "it gives me the glands"

meaning: "I'm demoralized/I have the balls"

4) "ça me ferait mal au cul (de + verb)"

same as "that would be a real pain in my ass (to...)"

5) "ça va chier des bulles"

literally: "it's gonna shit bubbles"

meaning: "you're in for a hiding".

6) "avoir les yeux en trou de pine de gendarme"

literally: "to have gendarme's dick hole- shaped eyes"

meaning: shrunk eyes because of drunkenness

7) "avoir de la chatte"

literally: "to have some pussy"

meaning: to be particularly lucky.

8) "un vrai garage à bites" (pronounce [bit])

literally: "a real dick garage"

meaning: about a big ass...

9) "enculeur de mouches"

literally: "fly butt fucker"

meaning: a lazy ass

10) "avoir le feu au cul"

literally: "to have one's ass on fire"

meaning: about a chick who always wants to get laid.

5. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (12-12-2014)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Eh, learning French colloquialisms is like going back to high school and learning French itself: poorly taught, poorly interpreted and it's French.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Best shit to ever come out of the history of France:

1. AIR

2. Jean-Claude Jitrois (fashion)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Eh, learning French colloquialisms is like going back to high school and learning French itself: poorly taught, poorly interpreted and it's French.
    That 's what grown-ups will say about English, at least those who disliked it, or couldn't handle it.

What's wrong with Frenchitude Kristy? You should logically feel at ease over here: Frogland is full of grumpy grouches.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Best shit to ever come out of the history of France:
    1. AIR
    Ghey elevator music. Like Daft Punk. Ghey.

This is among the best of whatever came out of France musically:

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Ghey elevator music. Like Daft Punk. Ghey.
    Dat dere's fightun wurds

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    That 's what grown-ups will say about English, at least those who disliked it, or couldn't handle it.

What's wrong with Frenchitude Kristy? You should logically feel at ease over here: Frogland is full of grumpy grouches.
    NO! Don't invite Krusty to France! That last thing I want to deal with when I seek political asylum is having to deal with that crazy bitch.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Hey, I thought you were coming here!

Oh right...Harper...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Hey, I thought you were coming here!

Oh right...Harper...
    Only if the Tories lose in a landslide like they did in the early 90's, or if Ricky and Julian are hiring. LOL

14. Thanked BITEYOASS for this KICKASS post:

Angel (12-14-2014)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just found some more here http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-...pressions-use/ :

1. The French don’t “piss you off”…they “shit you off” (Faire chier quelqu’un).

2. The French don’t call you “idiotic”…they call you “as dumb as a broom” (Être con comme un balai).

3. The French don’t “blow you off”…they “give you the rake” (Se prendre un râteau).

4. The French don’t tell you that “they don’t care”…they tell you that “they care about it like they care about their very first shirt” (S’en foutre comme de sa première chemise).

5. The French don’t say “this is annoying me”…they say “I’m getting swollen by this” (Ça me gonfle).

6. The French don’t tell you to “leave them alone”…they tell you to “go and cook yourself an egg” (Aller se faire cuire un œuf).

7. The French don’t tell you that “you’re grumpy”…they tell you that “you’re farting sideways” (Avoir un pet de travers).

8. The French don’t “go crazy”…they “break a fuse” (Péter un plomb).

9. The French are not “bumbling”…they have “their two feet in the same clog” (Avoir les deux pieds dans le même sabot).

10. The French are not “energized”…they have “the potato” or the “French fry” (Avoir la patate/la frite).

11. The French don’t tell you “to mind your own business”…they tell you “to deal with your own onions” (Occupe-toi de tes oignons).

12. The French are not “broke”…they are “scythed like wheat fields” (Être fauché comme les blés).

13. The French are not “very lucky”…they have “as much luck as a cuckold” (Avoir une veine de cocu).

14. The French don’t say “it’s useless”…they say “it’s like pissing in a violin” (Pisser dans un violon).

15. The French are not “ungrateful”…they “spit in the soup” (Cracher dans la soupe).

16. The French don’t “fuss about something”…they “make a whole cheese about it” (En faire tout un fromage).

17. The French don’t “give someone a tongue-lashing”…they “yell at them like they’re rotten fish” (Engueuler quelqu’un comme du poisson pourri).

18. French men don’t “sleep around”…they “dip their biscuit” (Tremper son biscuit).

19. The French are not “big-headed”…they “fart higher than their ass is located” (Péter plus haut que son cul).

20. The French don’t “shup someone up”…they “nail someone’s beak” (Clouer le bec de quelqu’un).

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They also smell funny

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    They also smell funny
    Tell me about it.

Thread Information