Eddie Van Halen to speak at Smithsonian Instituion on February 12.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eddie Van Halen to speak at Smithsonian Instituion on February 12.

Legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen will speak at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History and Zócalo Public Square in Washington D.C. on February 12. The event will be broadcast online, so fans will be able to watch video of Eddie's speech the very next day.

The Dutch immigrant and naturalized U.S. citizen will discuss his American journey, his role in creating one of the biggest American rock bands of all time, how he has reinvented the way the guitar is played and designed, and he will answer the question, "Is rock 'n' roll about reinvention?" Entertainment journalist Denise Quan will moderate the sold-out event.

Best known as the lead guitarist and co-founder of VAN HALEN, Eddie Van Halen is recognized for his innovative performance and recording styles, two-hand tapping, scorching solos and energetic concerts. Van Halen has invented guitar technology, technique and instruments that have redefined how the guitar is played and heard.

For the event, Van Halen and Fender will donate a master-built replica of Van Halen's infamous white-with-black-stripe Stratocaster. This is the guitar that changed the guitar world in 1978 when Van Halen cross-pollinated Gibson electronics with Fender body and neck designs. To represent the path of progressions in his instrument designs, a Stealth finished EVH Brand Wolfgang will also be included to represent his modern-day workhorse.

In addition to the guitars, Van Halen and Fender Musical Instruments Corp. will donate an EVH Brand 5150-III amplifier and speaker cabinet to embody the journey and progression of his amplifier designs from the early '70s through the modern day.

The February 12 event is sold out, and no public tickets are available.

Through incomparable collections, rigorous research and dynamic public outreach, the National Museum Of American History explores the richness and complexity of American history. The museum helps people understand the past in order to make sense of the present and shape a more humane future. For more information, visit americanhistory.si.edu. The museum is located at 14th Street and Constitution Avenue N.W., and is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (closed Dec. 25). Admission is free. For Smithsonian information, the public may call (202) 633-1000.

Zocalo Public Square, a proud affiliate of Arizona State University, is a not-for-profit Ideas Exchange that blends live events and humanities journalism. Zocalo partners with educational, cultural and philanthropic institutions, as well as public agencies, to present free events and conferences in cities across the U.S. and beyond and to publish original daily journalism that is syndicated to more than 160 media outlets.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mor...bc5kZBHJerj.99
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

OK... Obviously I'm just guessing here, but.....

Original reunion announcement was February 2007 (though the tour announcement ended up being months later due to Ed's "rehab")

ADKOT released in February 2012.

Could this February appearance turn out to be more than just Ed giving a speech??
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• mh5150
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by FORD

Original reunion announcement was February 2007 (though the tour announcement ended up being months later due to Ed's "rehab")

Could this February appearance turn out to be more than just Ed giving a speech??
      I hope so..
      I have tickets..

GET READY...

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Be sure to sneak in some sort of video recording device! Just in case....
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• mh5150
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2010

Be sure to sneak in some sort of video recording device! Just in case....
          It will be streamed the next day.

GET READY...

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah.... I guess I should read the damn articles before I post them..... blame it on the beer
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Dan
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Hat-Cam Always Works.
              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Hello Dan...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

No... it's not a band promotional event. Did you read any of the background in the article you posted from the Smithsonian site??

It's a moderated, museum based historical event for Ed to discuss his "American Journey"...

Here's my guess... rode a boat... was given drums but played his brother's guitar... influenced by his dad's music and alcoholism... an hour's worth of "Tone Chaser™" babble, boiling strings, Gibson PAF pickup in a Fender body style, Floyd Rose tinkering and using quarters to adjust his bridge... LSD... maybe... Birch wood blocks inside cabinets and how Vintage Chicken Knobs make his amps produce the Brown Sound™... He'll end with gushing about how playing with his son reinvigorated him and how he's a sexy cat...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    No... it's not a band promotional event. Did you read any of the background in the article you posted from the Smithsonian site??

It's a moderated, museum based historical event for Ed to discuss his "American Journey"...

Here's my guess... rode a boat... was given drums but played his brother's guitar... influenced by his dad's music and alcoholism... an hour's worth of "Tone Chaser™" babble, boiling strings, Gibson PAF pickup in a Fender body style, Floyd Rose tinkering and using quarters to adjust his bridge... LSD... maybe... Birch wood blocks inside cabinets and how Vintage Chicken Knobs make his amps produce the Brown Sound™... He'll end with gushing about how playing with his son reinvigorated him and how he's a sexy cat...
                    Hmmm...do ya think he will mention that part about curing himself of tongue cancer by drinking wine, or the bit about getting it the first place by putting metal picks in his mouth? I still can not understand how the majority of the American population uses metal forks and spoons to eat each day with seemingly no side-effects, yet this knucklehead plays a few dates on a tour and becomes afflicted.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• mh5150
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Hmmm...do ya think he will mention that part about curing himself of tongue cancer by drinking wine, or the bit about getting it the first place by putting metal picks in his mouth? I still can not understand how the majority of the American population uses metal forks and spoons to eat each day with seemingly no side-effects, yet this knucklehead plays a few dates on a tour and becomes afflicted.
                      He is SPECIAL..... ED....

GET READY...

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Eddie dares to speak on my birthday!?

I wish nothing but death to washed up rock stars. That, or free tickets to this event.

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Stay tuned for the longest hot dog break of all time!

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
                            He is SPECIAL..... ED....

GET READY...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

he could mention again that Wolfie is beating off for 45 minutes in the bathroom...
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...