Thread: VH live album - OFFICIAL

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-16-2015 @ 10:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Well, in all fairness, DTNA was one (if not the) lamest song in all of 12-13 thanks to Dave changing the vocal melody to that ridiculous higher register (China Town was a close second thanks to Dave never singing the lyrics correctly).

All things considered, I thought Dave sounded pretty good in Tokyo. Would I rather have something from the glory days? Yeah, but what are you gonna do?
    Interesting. I'd have to give that nod to The Trouble with Never, just because I fundamentally disagree with that song being worthy of a live set to begin with. Hearing it did nothing to sway me. All I could think was "As Is" or "Outta Space" is SO much more suited for a live setting.

Hell, the song I was most excited to hear, Girl Gone Bad, was pretty ehh live.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, in all fairness, DTNA was one (if not the) lamest song in all of 12-13 thanks to Dave changing the vocal melody to that ridiculous higher register (China Town was a close second thanks to Dave never singing the lyrics correctly).

All things considered, I thought Dave sounded pretty good in Tokyo. Would I rather have something from the glory days? Yeah, but what are you gonna do?
    And that's what they are thinking. What are we gonna do ? BUY IT FUCKERS !!! It's all ya get !!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If I play back VH II is DTNA the one you gravitate towards? I would play DOA Light up the sky, Outta Love, Doctor....those songs are begging to be played live. Hard to compare an era where they were played in their entirety every night to one where people are looking for just the hits.

4. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-09-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedZoneD25 View Post
    Interesting. I'd have to give that nod to The Trouble with Never, just because I fundamentally disagree with that song being worthy of a live set to begin with. Hearing it did nothing to sway me. All I could think was "As Is" or "Outta Space" is SO much more suited for a live setting.

Hell, the song I was most excited to hear, Girl Gone Bad, was pretty ehh live.
    Wouldn't miss TTWN at all. It is one of my least favorite songs on the album and should be banished from future setlists along with Tattoo as there are much better songs on that album to choose from.

6. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-09-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Wouldn't miss TTWN at all. It is one of my least favorite songs on the album and should be banished from future setlists along with Tattoo as there are much better songs on that album to choose from.
    They think Tattoo is their modern day Jump. Neither of those songs will ever leave the setlist.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    They think Tattoo is their modern day Jump. Neither of those songs will ever leave the setlist.
    Especially now that Dave is convinced he's a Japanese gangster. I hope he tattoos his head. And face. That would be cool.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Tattoo was better the first time around.....

10. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (02-10-2015),DONNIEP (02-09-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I think Tattoo is better than a lot of people here think. The problem with it is that it shouldn't have been the first single and it gave people a bit of a fright they never got over.

Back in the day bands would make sure they had their core audience on track at the first single/song and then go more commercial in the second and third.

Some late 80s examples would be that Def Leppard coming back from a big gap released Women as their first single which is maybe the most rocky number on an album that became a series of soccer mom singles. It's even funnier to think that the first Guns N Roses single was It's So Easy. Given that Van Halen weren't going to promote it properly with interviews, a proper video or promote it through radio they should have just released something less conservative.

TTWN is one of those songs that is a little less than the sum of it's parts. In my experience when you are writing songs quite often you have one that seems to tick the boxes, it's got the music, melody, lyrics and so on but eventually you are forced to admit for some reason it's not as good as it should be and it's impossible in those situations to analyze any further why. It's weird. At that point ideally a band that is producing lots of music can just say fuck it and put it aside. More often what happens is that it is kept because someone or a couple of people in the band don't want to give it up. The difference between the great bands and everyone else is that they have some mechanism be it insane talented dictator, super producer manager or no ego democracy that allows these painful decisions to happen. I don't think that happens so much now in Van Halen as it used to.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-09-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tattoo, Big River, etc., all suffer from two things, in my opinion:

1. No Mikey

3. I can't stop hearing/singing the original lyrics

Now, for casual fans or newer fans it's not a problem. But if you've been listening to the old demos fordamnever it's kinda hard to listen to the new ones and not notice what's missing and not sing the old lyrics. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new takes on the old stuff, but it's just one of those things that jumps out at me.

I almost never listen to ADKOT these days. I constantly rotate out the 37 or so bootlegs/demos and listen to them instead. And honestly, if we all liked the same shit - what would we fight about?

13. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

WARF (02-10-2015)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's even funnier to think that the first Guns N Roses single was It's So Easy.
    I think that was only true in the UK, but I can understand why.... even in the 80s, it was easier to get a three minute single on the radio from an unknown band than it was a much longer song like "Sweet Child" or "Paradise City". Not sure why they wouldn't have gone with "Welcome To The Jungle", except maybe they didn't want to lead off with lyrics that allude to violence, prostitution and other such things?

But as far as ADKOT goes, I definitely would have put out "She's The Woman" as the first single, and probably would have put it first on the CD as well. Even now, when I play the disc, I usually start with track 2.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Tattoo, Big River, etc., all suffer from two things, in my opinion:

1. No Mikey

3. I can't stop hearing/singing the original lyrics

LOL what happened to #2?

Here's a thing about the Mike thing. In album terms what percentage did it lose not having him there? If we give it a generous 15% on an arbitrary CVH split of 35% Dave, 35% Ed and 30% rhythm section.

I think on that album Wolfgang claims back 5% with his bass playing. That may be unfair in technical terms on MA it may just be due to having more time and cooperation from Ed. I may also be talking shit because I really never listened much to Van Hagar.

Going back to TTWN as an example would Mike have coordinated a fill at 1:59 like that?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    LOL what happened to #2?

Here's a thing about the Mike thing. In album terms what percentage did it lose not having him there? If we give it a generous 15% on an arbitrary CVH split of 35% Dave, 35% Ed and 30% rhythm section.
    I'm only talking about Mikey's voice - not playing. Especially since everybody here knows Wolfie can pretend to be Mikey on bass better than Mikey.

And I skipped 2 because Sammy told me to.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Van Halen needs to get Mike back or retire.

I'd rather see Dave go back to being a solo artist and release his solo album if Van Halen can't give us the classic lineup.

It's nothing against Wolf, this lineup has run it's course.

ADKOT was a good record, but when I think of Van Halen I think of Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael. You just can't replace Mikey's background vocals they are part of the classic Van Halen sound and just as important as Ed's solos, Alex's snare drum or David Lee Roth's screams.

18. Thanked WARF for this KICKASS post:

philouze (02-10-2015)

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Daz right. A shitty live album when the fans want some real vintage stuff. Oh we all know VH never ever gave a shit about their fans (same goes to DLR for that matter) and they won't start now.
    I will illegally download this pile of crap and give it a listen, just to hear if PrimaRotha tweeked his vocals in the studio. They say it will have no overdubs, but frankly, do you still believe them?
    Nah, I thought so.

20. 2 users say thank you to philouze for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (02-10-2015),WARF (02-10-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't get all this angst and attention over DTNA... I'm happy Dave ruined it further with his high register vocals. It's one of the most bubblegum pop songs the band produced and it sucked new and still sucks!! That song and AC/DC's Shook Me All Night Long are two that could never be performed again and I wouldn't miss either...

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
    And what you think of this one ?
    Point taken.

But still probably better than what they did in the states!

I guess it's just varying degrees of cringe-worthy....

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Excellent take, Von. 100% spot on.

Remember when they did some Super Bowl "Tattoo" promotion? (I think it was the Super Bowl...)

Bands don't do that kind of marketing for a song that they don't think is a some sort of cultural landmark...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Van Halen needs to get Mike back or retire.

I'd rather see Dave go back to being a solo artist and release his solo album if Van Halen can't give us the classic lineup.

It's nothing against Wolf, this lineup has run it's course.

ADKOT was a good record, but when I think of Van Halen I think of Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael. You just can't replace Mikey's background vocals they are part of the classic Van Halen sound and just as important as Ed's solos, Alex's snare drum or David Lee Roth's screams.
    I hear ya WARF, but I don't think Dave will ever go back to being a solo artist. It would relegate him back to virtual obscurity for everyone except the truly diehard fans, and he loves the mainstream fame and fortune that he's been riding since 2007.

He just loves the attention too much to ever give it up again. And he can't get this level of attention on his own.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

If this has been officially announced how come there is no mention of it on any of the VH social media sites or even the DLR site. No promotion at all. If it's out end if March not much lead time to get some orders in.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by perrin29 View Post
    If this has been officially announced how come there is no mention of it on any of the VH social media sites or even the DLR site. No promotion at all. If it's out end if March not much lead time to get some orders in.
    Do you just not want to believe this is the garbage they going to be selling come March 31st? I hate to break it to you, but this is happening. Much to your chagrin, it's not a bad dream!

27. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015)

Corvette Driver
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

maybe it was a fake, a good fake, amazon links were fake

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Do you just not want to believe this is the garbage they going to be selling come March 31st? I hate to break it to you, but this is happening. Much to your chagrin, it's not a bad dream!
    Yeah it's kind of messed up in terms of promoting an album release. Only word mentioned by anyone in the VH camp was by Wolf on his twitter. The "ok angry birds we got it" post.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why would the band or WB want to lift a finger to promote this when they have this place, VHLINKS, VHND and some radio station in Bug Ear, Alberta Canada already doing all the heavy lifting for them... for fucking FREE!!

What passes as entertainment/music media these days all have the details even the record art work...

Lead time for orders..? Don't worry... Walmart will have a copy for you the day of release or you can download it to your phone within minutes of it's availability.

31. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ADKOT and this live record release show that Van Halen is simply not a well runned organization. Every fan poll and critic review cited Stay Frosty as the highlight and VH basically ignored the damn thing. Their sense of the market just plain sucks. I hope this tour they give some life to ADKOT that is different such as Stay Frasty or As Is, etc... China Town doesn't work live and Sesh nailed it on Trouble w Never, it should be a good song, the pieces are there but for whatever reason it just doesn't come together as it should.

I saw Dave do DOA on Long Island in 06 and he nailed it perfectly, that would be a great one to bring back. Hopefully the band noticed some songs like HAIL that were dead for decades were what fans left talking about, that was such highlight last tour.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe its all an April fools joke and we get a box of 78 -84 material instead.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    ADKOT and this live record release show that Van Halen is simply not a well runned organization. Every fan poll and critic review cited Stay Frosty as the highlight and VH basically ignored the damn thing. Their sense of the market just plain sucks. I hope this tour they give some life to ADKOT that is different such as Stay Frasty or As Is, etc... China Town doesn't work live and Sesh nailed it on Trouble w Never, it should be a good song, the pieces are there but for whatever reason it just doesn't come together as it should.

I saw Dave do DOA on Long Island in 06 and he nailed it perfectly, that would be a great one to bring back. Hopefully the band noticed some songs like HAIL that were dead for decades were what fans left talking about, that was such highlight last tour.
    As Dave stated previously, Stay Frosty was the one and only truly brand new song on the whole album, and he wrote the whole thing including the melody. For that reason, I'd be a million more times excited about the John 5 disc, than I am this bullshit Tokyo stuff.

35. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

As Dave stated previously, Stay Frosty was the one and only truly brand new song on the whole album, and he wrote the whole thing including the melody. For that reason, I'd be a million more times excited about the John 5 disc, than I am this bullshit Tokyo stuff.
    So 12 of the 13 songs had riffs that had been kicking around for a while? I thought it was 7. Doesn't matter to me either way. They were well within their rights to dig into their own trick bag. Screw anyone who thinks they shouldn't have.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    So 12 of the 13 songs had riffs that had been kicking around for a while? I thought it was 7. Doesn't matter to me either way. They were well within their rights to dig into their own trick bag. Screw anyone who thinks they shouldn't have.
    According to Dave.

I had no problem with them rehashing old riffs either. But I do have a problem with what they are trying to sell me on in March.

38. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015),DLR Bridge (02-10-2015),philouze (02-10-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Besides John 5 project I would love for Dave to release a bunch of acoustic stuff he recorded but never released. I actually enjoy his playing and think his voice now is better suited acoustically to highlight his tone over him forcing power not there anymore.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Every time Sammy Hagar talks about how much money he makes, I illegally download one of his albums for FREE and never listen to it.

41. 3 users say thank you to WARF for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015),Edwards3rdWife (02-14-2015),Never was (02-10-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Why torture your hard drive that way?!?

43. 2 users say thank you to ThatArtGuy for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-10-2015),WARF (02-10-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I cant believe its even a conversation.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Has it been mentioned that if a live album is to be released in 6 weeks, then we are probably at least 9 months away from an album of new music, if at all?

Goodnight, Irene.

RIP VH

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Every time Sammy Hagar talks about how much money he makes, I illegally download one of his albums for FREE and never listen to it.
    Why not get a bottle of Cabo Wabo tequila for a 5 finger discount instead?

You'll still be taking Sammy's money, but at least you'll get something out of it, for a little while.

47. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

WARF (02-11-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks

That's actually worse. The people at the store will just restock because they think people want the stuff.

49. Thanked ThatArtGuy for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-11-2015)

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I have an idea for a sticker on the Nth remasters:
    "VH, the band that replaces quality with quantity."

51. Thanked philouze for this KICKASS post:

WARF (02-11-2015)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    Besides John 5 project I would love for Dave to release a bunch of acoustic stuff he recorded but never released.
    He only knows one song...

Ice Cream man, Could This Be Magic, and Stay Frosty...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    He only knows one song...

Ice Cream man, Could This Be Magic, and Stay Frosty...
    That's one more than you know.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    Has it been mentioned that if a live album is to be released in 6 weeks, then we are probably at least 9 months away from an album of new music, if at all?

Goodnight, Irene.

RIP VH
    That's what bothers me most. If they were an actual working band, this live album would probably delay new material for at least a year, but probably more like two. With these guys and their thumb twiddling, who knows and meanwhile the sun of their careers creeps closer to the horizon. The thought of it being at least a couple more years for any new material is depressing. Crack the fuckin' whip, Wolf.

55. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

RedZoneD25 (02-11-2015)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Yeah it's kind of messed up in terms of promoting an album release. Only word mentioned by anyone in the VH camp was by Wolf on his twitter. The "ok angry birds we got it" post.
    He said in his next tweet that he was talking about the game, not VH fans

Thread Information