Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Also it's funny how quickly it became such a given that it's now not even worth mentioning how great Ed's playing is.

He wasn't playing like this in 2008 at all.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
      Have you listened to the CDs?
      That's right! I meant to pick up the first album 1/4 remaster what-the-hell-ever today.

Eh, maybe tomorrow. If not, maybe never.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Yeah, maybe never.

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Also it's funny how quickly it became such a given that it's now not even worth mentioning how great Ed's playing is.

He wasn't playing like this in 2008 at all.
          Last night Ed was loose and playing the songs with, as I can best describe, a freedom from the script. He was playing intros, solos and main parts a bit differently, like he's finally comfortable with the material that he can now explore and improvise where ever the muse takes him!

Al is just so solid you forget how good he's playing, too!

Wolfie plays the bass perfectly against Ed and Al! They're a really solid band now!

Dave is singing better, not a 100% but better than 2012, IMO!
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
            That's right! I meant to pick up the first album 1/4 remaster what-the-hell-ever today.

Eh, maybe tomorrow. If not, maybe never.
            9,819 posts at his fansite.

I'm not judging I'm just saying.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
              That song is far and away, the highlight of the album.

Ok, based on Va's stellar review from his earbud listening experience in an under pressurized cabin of an airplane at 30,000 feet, and truthfully because I'm probably a bigger VH suck dick than even Flamma, I downloaded the album on itunes. Va owes me $12.99, or whatever it was.

The mix sucks. I agree with Elvis, it was much better on Kimmel last night. Al's drums are fucking buried. I really don't care much for Ed's rhythm tone, but his lead tone is okay, in my opinion. I actually think the harmonies are very strong, 90% of the album. I do love and prefer live music. It was a ballsy move to leave it live and raw. If they ever do release old shows, I hope they do the same thing.

I listened to it all the way through two times, on the 10 speaker sound system in my Ram. There are spots where Dave is really good, but there are spots where he is really bad. Unfortunately, he's bad much more than he's good. The thing that really bothers me about this is, it seems when he wants to, he can really nail the songs. But for some reason, he goes off in weird directions, that just suck. I really hope he listens to this, and corrects himself. I know he can, because he does on some songs. The one song besides "Women In Love" where he really seems to concentrate on nailing it, is "Pretty Woman". He is just about fucking flawless on that song. It pisses me off, because he totally butchers songs like "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" and "Hear About It Later". "Romeo Delight" is pretty good.

Was it me, or does Ed do a little "Smoke On The Water" riff towards the end of Cradle? Speaking of Cradle, I think Ed took major liberties with the intro leads on Cradle. I'm not sure if I'm just not used to hearing it that way, or if I really don't like it.

I probably won't listen to much of this album, after a few more listens. I'll probably do like others have suggested, and take the few I like, and separate them so I can listen to them without having to bother with the garbage. It's a bummer some of my all time favorite VH songs aren't going to make the cut. I'm sorry, Dave just takes too many liberties with a lot of these songs. He proves in portions of this show, that he doesn't have to do that! Fucking frustrating!
              I think you need to now take a step back and listen to it as a new recording.

Ignore what would have been perfect and listen to it as it is.

No overdubs and no tapes is amazing in this day in age.

Apart from not having MA singing the backing vocals are very good - every one else uses tapes.

Dave sings in tune throughout. This is not an Ozzy thing where he can't sing the songs - he's decided to do it differently on a few songs and it didn't always work.

This is a 4* album with lots of people wailing because it isn't 5* when that was impossible.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                You don't know that...
                I don't mean to pull rank on the Ultimate Bedroom Guitarist Warrior but you said this week you haven't been in a recording studio as yet and you are a middle aged man. I'm no expert and my first week in one was when I was 17. You have to know a bit to know how much you don't know and that's your problem.

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The fact is that this album is 19 years late. This and ADKOT should have been done back in 1996 when it would have had the most impact
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah and I wish I had bought Apple shares back then like Kirsty.

This is a really good album and we have 500 posts of people annoyed because it isn't the best album ever recorded that they had imagined in their mind.

Comment

• lesfunk
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I obviously haven't found the silver lining in this cloud yet

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm surprised that you as a musician can't find anything in this to appreciate.

I'm also puzzled by what you expected to be there that wasn't?

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but so far the sound seems terribly small. I think it's the drums. They seem flat and boxy. The kick drum is small and shallow sounding.
                          It sounds better with headphones I'm noticing.
                          Last edited by lesfunk; 04-01-2015, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Jetstream
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Dec 2011

Probably heard it about 4 times in its entirety and as mentioned, it is actually pretty good when heard as a complete offering. It is a live LP, and a live show has its ebb and flow and dissecting it a song alone makes for an inaccurate opinion. Dave really shines from And The Cradle Will Rock ( his add lib "his parents are pissed off" is classic Dave and said with a swagger), Hot For Teacher, Women in Love and Romeo Delight and starts to tapper off a tad when he goes into Mean Street but when you listen to it as a whole, the places he is off balances itself out with some real nice areas. His singing on Pretty Woman is great as noted. I give it a seven on a ten scale which is not bad for a live album when you are listening to it with no real studio alterations and not being at the actual show... I can even forgive Dave for his improvisational approach to the breathless pace of China Town but my only complaint is this, how can you forget the verses to I'll Wait even when the song might bore you lol
                            I got lost in the...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Back when it was looking like ya had to re-re-buy VH I & 1984 with this, I figured screw that. I'm not paying more than $15 for this. Well, this is well worth $12.99. I'm in.

I agree with Von on it being difficult listening to the chances Dave took that didn't work out so well for our ears, but as a whole, this is a fun listen.

I also agree with Les in that this would have melted all of our ears and brains if it were done 19 years ago. But it wasn't to be. In a world of take it or leave it, I'm taking this one.

A final note on the big W. Let me put it this way. If Mike truly said "fuck this and fuck you Ed & Al" we'd all be praising what he has done. I can't find a single thing to complain about regarding his bass playing and backing vocals. The kid is good. It's the manner in which he got where he is that will forever overshadow his abilities.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Quick edit after the fact: What Wolf has done on this CD. Wasn't rating his cuntribution from '07 in this particular thought.

Comment

Working...