• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
    Have you listened to the CDs?
    The clips online do nothing for the mix. That's the first thing that hit me.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      As if you had it to start with.
      You'll never know what I have, so keep on dreaming...

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Did anyone put a bass in the hands of the stay puft marshmellow man yet?

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
          You'll never know what I have, so keep on dreaming...
          I know what you don't have...

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WARF
            Did anyone put a bass in the hands of the stay puft marshmellow man yet?
            I haven't had time.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

The marshmellow man has no bass because Wayne Charvel hasn't finished the paint job on it. It's an Irv's Quadburger bass with "Everyone Loves My Meat" on it.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                I listed to the live album beginning to end last night, downloaded from iTunes, and thought it was exceptionally good. The mix is a bit baffling, I suppose, with a lack of room ambience etc., the most noticeable thing that detracts from it. I can't see what Clearmountain has really done - sounds like a soundboard recording.

But, having seen the show on YT already, I knew it was a really good energetic show ... especially if you just went with it, rather than dipping into individual clips / songs and noticing something was a bit 'off' about Dave at times. But When you listen from start to finish even Dave's lapses don't seem that odd - really! It is just a warts and all live show, with the mistakes and Dave's lounge singer approach to a couple of songs, left in. I give them credit for that, even though I would have liked a bit more reverb in the mix.

One of the songs near the end - can't remember, and I can't check now - Dave does some brilliant improvised scatting, and says to Ed 'wait, try and play along with this.' Moments like that are great. Some songs are done brilliantly.

Want to blast it in my car, which is the best sound system I have, but need it on CD ...

So that will be two facking purchases already, as I can no longer burn CDs ...

Well I guess I would have bought this no matter what the reviews were one way or another what with doing the site here but this post made me do it right away since I almost always agree with you on music.

My other 5 cents on all of this is that Mike Antony is not coming back in the foreseeable future so given that and the fact that we only have Roth in the band due to him, I'm not sure why there is all this anti Wolfgang stuff to this degree. Middle aged straight men complaining bitterly about a bass player not being buff enough is just kind of odd. Jokes yes but anger?

A lot if not all of the negativity about this album seems to be from people that haven't heard it yet and don't like it because they wanted something entirely different. I don't think that is a particularly great argument. If something isn't amazing it doesn't stop it from being good.

I expect it's going to be a bit patchy and not life changing but some people here are talking like they are being forced at gunpoint to pay hundreds of dollars when in actuality they'll probably just steal it on a torrent anyway.

My pet theory is that there are two big problems outwith the MA thing.

1) We have a bunch of people that are angry that Van Halen are old and not as good because it reminds them again that they are getting older.

2) People have forgotten what live music sounds like now. I see lots of comments on YouTube saying stuff like 'They sound like a bar band'.
                That's because a bar band is the only place that most people hear live music now. Almost every show from the TV talent shows to arena acts like Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, every pop act and so on are all miming to varying degrees.

Van Halen should be saluted for going warts and all and some of you should try and remember this is rock n roll not American Idol...

Ok now I'm away to do what 98% of the posters in this thread haven't and actually listen to the whole thing.
                Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-31-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                  Women in love is fucking awesome...
                  That song is far and away, the highlight of the album.

Ok, based on Va's stellar review from his earbud listening experience in an under pressurized cabin of an airplane at 30,000 feet, and truthfully because I'm probably a bigger VH suck dick than even Flamma, I downloaded the album on itunes. Va owes me $12.99, or whatever it was.

The mix sucks. I agree with Elvis, it was much better on Kimmel last night. Al's drums are fucking buried. I really don't care much for Ed's rhythm tone, but his lead tone is okay, in my opinion. I actually think the harmonies are very strong, 90% of the album. I do love and prefer live music. It was a ballsy move to leave it live and raw. If they ever do release old shows, I hope they do the same thing.

I listened to it all the way through two times, on the 10 speaker sound system in my Ram. There are spots where Dave is really good, but there are spots where he is really bad. Unfortunately, he's bad much more than he's good. The thing that really bothers me about this is, it seems when he wants to, he can really nail the songs. But for some reason, he goes off in weird directions, that just suck. I really hope he listens to this, and corrects himself. I know he can, because he does on some songs. The one song besides "Women In Love" where he really seems to concentrate on nailing it, is "Pretty Woman". He is just about fucking flawless on that song. It pisses me off, because he totally butchers songs like "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" and "Hear About It Later". "Romeo Delight" is pretty good.

Was it me, or does Ed do a little "Smoke On The Water" riff towards the end of Cradle? Speaking of Cradle, I think Ed took major liberties with the intro leads on Cradle. I'm not sure if I'm just not used to hearing it that way, or if I really don't like it.

I probably won't listen to much of this album, after a few more listens. I'll probably do like others have suggested, and take the few I like, and separate them so I can listen to them without having to bother with the garbage. It's a bummer some of my all time favorite VH songs aren't going to make the cut. I'm sorry, Dave just takes too many liberties with a lot of these songs. He proves in portions of this show, that he doesn't have to do that! Fucking frustrating!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    It pisses me off, because he totally butchers songs like "Somebody Get Me A Doctor"
                    It's not any easier to sing the verses the way he does and it's not out of tune it's just a different melody.

Maybe he's decided to shake it up or he prefers the new way.

It doesn't work because we have heard it one way for 30 years and it's just too jarring to take a change. I think Prince sometimes has tried the same thing but it doesn't work for the audience because we aren't that sophisticated. How many interviews did he do the Beethoven line about are you still doing Duh Duh Duh Dah?

I don't think he butchers Hear About it Later, I think it's just not the same as Oakland or the album. He's in tune for the most part it's not an Ozzy thing.

Pretty Woman as you say is as good as it's ever been but unfortunately for me that's a toilet break song for me and always has been.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's not any easier to sing the verses the way he does
                      You don't know that...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't get the mix.

I'm starting to think it's a generation and device thing to degree. To my ear the drums are way too low and the guitar needs more bottom end but that's just listening on headphones on my phone.

Beautiful Girls is a keeper...

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Throw it on a proper system...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Why???

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

ATBL is another good one.

To semi quote Mark Twain I think reports that this album is dead have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                I wonder what the Japs thought about them playing "China Town"?
                                We can check with our legendary Nipponese poster Cato but I think that many Japanese cities have a China Town.

Comment

Working...