• Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    Tattoo, Big River, etc., all suffer from two things, in my opinion:

1. No Mikey

3. I can't stop hearing/singing the original lyrics

LOL what happened to #2?

Here's a thing about the Mike thing. In album terms what percentage did it lose not having him there? If we give it a generous 15% on an arbitrary CVH split of 35% Dave, 35% Ed and 30% rhythm section.

I think on that album Wolfgang claims back 5% with his bass playing. That may be unfair in technical terms on MA it may just be due to having more time and cooperation from Ed. I may also be talking shit because I really never listened much to Van Hagar.

Going back to TTWN as an example would Mike have coordinated a fill at 1:59 like that?

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      LOL what happened to #2?

Here's a thing about the Mike thing. In album terms what percentage did it lose not having him there? If we give it a generous 15% on an arbitrary CVH split of 35% Dave, 35% Ed and 30% rhythm section.
      I'm only talking about Mikey's voice - not playing. Especially since everybody here knows Wolfie can pretend to be Mikey on bass better than Mikey.

And I skipped 2 because Sammy told me to.

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Van Halen needs to get Mike back or retire.

I'd rather see Dave go back to being a solo artist and release his solo album if Van Halen can't give us the classic lineup.

It's nothing against Wolf, this lineup has run it's course.

ADKOT was a good record, but when I think of Van Halen I think of Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael. You just can't replace Mikey's background vocals they are part of the classic Van Halen sound and just as important as Ed's solos, Alex's snare drum or David Lee Roth's screams.

Comment

• philouze
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Daz right. A shitty live album when the fans want some real vintage stuff. Oh we all know VH never ever gave a shit about their fans (same goes to DLR for that matter) and they won't start now.
          I will illegally download this pile of crap and give it a listen, just to hear if PrimaRotha tweeked his vocals in the studio. They say it will have no overdubs, but frankly, do you still believe them?
          Nah, I thought so.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't get all this angst and attention over DTNA... I'm happy Dave ruined it further with his high register vocals. It's one of the most bubblegum pop songs the band produced and it sucked new and still sucks!! That song and AC/DC's Shook Me All Night Long are two that could never be performed again and I wouldn't miss either...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Calderone
              And what you think of this one ?
              Point taken.

But still probably better than what they did in the states!

I guess it's just varying degrees of cringe-worthy....
              Originally posted by perilouspete
              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                They think Tattoo is their modern day Jump. Neither of those songs will ever leave the setlist.
                Excellent take, Von. 100% spot on.

Remember when they did some Super Bowl "Tattoo" promotion? (I think it was the Super Bowl...)

Bands don't do that kind of marketing for a song that they don't think is a some sort of cultural landmark...
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by WARF
                  Van Halen needs to get Mike back or retire.

I'd rather see Dave go back to being a solo artist and release his solo album if Van Halen can't give us the classic lineup.

It's nothing against Wolf, this lineup has run it's course.

ADKOT was a good record, but when I think of Van Halen I think of Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael. You just can't replace Mikey's background vocals they are part of the classic Van Halen sound and just as important as Ed's solos, Alex's snare drum or David Lee Roth's screams.
                  I hear ya WARF, but I don't think Dave will ever go back to being a solo artist. It would relegate him back to virtual obscurity for everyone except the truly diehard fans, and he loves the mainstream fame and fortune that he's been riding since 2007.

He just loves the attention too much to ever give it up again. And he can't get this level of attention on his own.

Comment

• perrin29
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2012

If this has been officially announced how come there is no mention of it on any of the VH social media sites or even the DLR site. No promotion at all. If it's out end if March not much lead time to get some orders in.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by perrin29
                      If this has been officially announced how come there is no mention of it on any of the VH social media sites or even the DLR site. No promotion at all. If it's out end if March not much lead time to get some orders in.
                      Do you just not want to believe this is the garbage they going to be selling come March 31st? I hate to break it to you, but this is happening. Much to your chagrin, it's not a bad dream!

Comment

• Calderone
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

maybe it was a fake, a good fake, amazon links were fake

Comment

• perrin29
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          Do you just not want to believe this is the garbage they going to be selling come March 31st? I hate to break it to you, but this is happening. Much to your chagrin, it's not a bad dream!
                          Yeah it's kind of messed up in terms of promoting an album release. Only word mentioned by anyone in the VH camp was by Wolf on his twitter. The "ok angry birds we got it" post.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by perrin29
                            Why would the band or WB want to lift a finger to promote this when they have this place, VHLINKS, VHND and some radio station in Bug Ear, Alberta Canada already doing all the heavy lifting for them... for fucking FREE!!

What passes as entertainment/music media these days all have the details even the record art work...

Lead time for orders..? Don't worry... Walmart will have a copy for you the day of release or you can download it to your phone within minutes of it's availability.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Never was
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2012

ADKOT and this live record release show that Van Halen is simply not a well runned organization. Every fan poll and critic review cited Stay Frosty as the highlight and VH basically ignored the damn thing. Their sense of the market just plain sucks. I hope this tour they give some life to ADKOT that is different such as Stay Frasty or As Is, etc... China Town doesn't work live and Sesh nailed it on Trouble w Never, it should be a good song, the pieces are there but for whatever reason it just doesn't come together as it should.

I saw Dave do DOA on Long Island in 06 and he nailed it perfectly, that would be a great one to bring back. Hopefully the band noticed some songs like HAIL that were dead for decades were what fans left talking about, that was such highlight last tour.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Maybe its all an April fools joke and we get a box of 78 -84 material instead.....

Comment

Working...