Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,680 of 1780

Thread: VH live album - OFFICIAL

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Dave would just sing the songs in the register they were recorded and got some of that 2007 swagger back, no one would be saying anything negative. I remember him walking down the ramp to YRGM during the 07 tour. He was on top of his game and unfortunately Ed was the train wreck. Please Dave, drop the creepy vaudevillian bullshit and get cool again. UGH!!!!!!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that was eight years ago...

"you must accept as is"
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    My two cents, for what it's worth...

Believe it or not, I didn't even listen to the fucking thing until this morning (teacher, off for Spring Break...at home, daughter in daycare, listening to a new VH album...nice).

It's fine. I'm glad it exists. I certainly enjoyed DVD bootlegs that did not have better sound than this. If you asked me ten years ago if we'd ever be sold a live album with HEAR ABOUT IT LATER on it, I'd have laughed it off.

I do appreciate that it seems to really be live. If it had Dave crooning through I'M THE ONE with vocal-booth reverb, I would have been annoyed by the falsity being presented. That said, as much as I enjoy the raw sound, and as much as I don't mind Dave bellowing without real musical quality in the odd track (which bothers me none...I've listened to VH bootlegs for years and he never presents a Sinatra in the arena, which one listen to US FESTIVAL will prove), I am annoyed as shit that they had to mix the crowd so loudly. The thing definitely sounds genuine, but I hate the sound of live albums where the crowd is almost drowning out the band. For Christ's sake, this isn't BEATLES AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL. It's a bunch of guys in their sixties, and the audience is not shrieking teenagers bleeding onto the tape.

This is Van Halen's first live album, it sounds raw enough, it has new songs (sorry, I loved ADKOT) and a good mix of old songs (again, see HEAR ABOUT IT LATER). Yes, a band called Van Halen released a monstrosity in 1993. Hell, even putting aside one's feelings for Sammy Hagar, even if one actually liked Sammy Hagar, that is a terrible album. Apparently almost completely re-recorded in the studio, crowd noise that sounds like it came off a sound-FX CD and absolutely no balls in the sound.

This is the real deal. It cost me $13 (because I feel no need to buy AGAIN the same albums I've bought three times already...and the 2000 remasters were perfect, as far as I'm concerned).

And I've got too much going on in my life and have dealt with too much these past two years to get real upset on whether or not Dave sounds that great. This is a nice thing to blare while we're making dinner.

But yes...the real classic live album would have been recorded on the FAIR WARNING tour. It would have been two vinyl records. It would have had a fold-out in the middle with an amazing shot of the FAIR WARNING stage. It would have been killer. But that band is long gone.
    I was going to post my review - but I think my bro Rikk here said pretty much what I was going to say.

How ya doin' Rikk!
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's great to see so many old faces around here at the moment.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It's great to see so many old faces around here at the moment.
    No kidding. Great to hear from Rikk and VV, a pair of guys that never fell for/stood for bullshit. Seriously outstanding and cool.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

This should get your blood pressure going one way or another.
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After hearing the "singles" they released, I was definitely not into this CD, especially since I haven't liked DLR's vocal approach since 2012 (as I have said over and over lol)...

However, just watched and listened to Women In Love, Romeo Delight, Mean Street and Beautiful Girls from the Tokyo Dome HD concert someone recorded on YouTube and I have to say that ANY of those tracks should have been the first release (although with a better mix - see below) ... with the exception of one bad "baby pleeeease", Dave is absolutely KILLING it on those tracks... Singing in his range with just the right attitude and sounds as he should...

Also compared the CD recording to that HD concert and have to say I would take the video recording over the horrific mix on the CD any day... A/B'd Romeo Delight and what a difference... cardboard direct feed sound vs. cool atmospheric room mic vibe with that little bit of reverb and just a killer live sound with Dave's voice nicely in the mix!!!

Strange...

FALCO
    \m/ \m/
    NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
    "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    No kidding. Great to hear from Rikk and VV, a pair of guys that never fell for/stood for bullshit. Seriously outstanding and cool.
    Nice to see them too!!

Change the word "for" to "in" and you'd have to lose the word never when it comes to here...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Chef, what's going on, man!

Yeah, all good where VV is concerned.

The only thing that is more annoying than Roth Army members bitching about Dave's vocals is Elvis posting Van Hagar videos here in Main.

THAT is bullshit.

Yeah, that's right fag nuts - stop the Hagar crap.

And I got news for ya. Only Van Hagar fans refer to Michael Anthony as "Mikey". And your ejaculating all over Butterball Bass Player is sickening too ("its not the same without Mikey", "Not seeing a show without Mikey." Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. Fuck off already with that shit.)

So go on Elvis. Listen to "Love Walks In Your Roid-Riddled Ass" to your heart's content. Listen to the manufactured 1993 "live" album so can hear Spammy sing like you think a singer should sing.

That is all.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE, FUCKERS!

VV out.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Call it the Titanic or the Bismarck but "Van Halen Live at the Tokyo Dome" had debuted number 5 on the Billboard rock charts and number 20 on the Billboard 200
    I got lost in the...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Call it the Titanic or the Bismarck but "Van Halen Live at the Tokyo Dome" had debuted number 5 on the Billboard rock charts and number 20 on the Billboard 200
    That is pleasing to hear. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that record sales are poor these days, however, and the those who do buy records are disproportionatley of a more 'mature' generation, like CVH fans.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    That is pleasing to hear. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that record sales are poor these days, however, and the those who do buy records are disproportionatley of a more 'mature' generation, like CVH fans.
    For a band which for the most part does not keep its fans in the loop. For a band which has gotten some negative flack for this LP... for the present situation of the musical landscape and the age of Van Halen, this is big because the leaky ship seems to have actually made it to the harbor with a shit eating grin on its face with the appearance of being bulletproof

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's great. Not too shabby for a live album that people have been taking the piss out of. Personally, the more I listen to it the more I like it. Side two is definitely the strongest side and the fact I have live versions of a Women In Love, HAIT and Romeo on cd all is good.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The choice of preview tracks didn't help.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

VV out.
    Hanging in there on this end brother, only made better by your appearance. All the best to you and your folks.

Regards, chef and family

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post

This should get your blood pressure going one way or another.
    For the Sammy lover that he is, I will definitely give him credit here. Like it or not, DLR was never Pavarotti. But it didn't stop him from being the coolest motherfucker in the world. Look at US Fest 83. David Lee Roth's worst vocal performance became one of the greatest VH concerts of all time.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wonder how many records #20 translates to.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Wonder how many records #20 translates to.
    twenty

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    twenty
    Million?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    twenty
    Actually 21... I know Hagar bought one and made it legal

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know if that's a validation of Van Halen, or an indictment of the sorry state of "real" rock music these days.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

The only thing that is more annoying than Roth Army members bitching about Dave's vocals is Elvis posting Van Hagar videos here in Main.

THAT is bullshit.

Yeah, that's right fag nuts - stop the Hagar crap.

And I got news for ya. Only Van Hagar fans refer to Michael Anthony as "Mikey". And your ejaculating all over Butterball Bass Player is sickening too ("its not the same without Mikey", "Not seeing a show without Mikey." Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. Fuck off already with that shit.)

So go on Elvis. Listen to "Love Walks In Your Roid-Riddled Ass" to your heart's content. Listen to the manufactured 1993 "live" album so can hear Spammy sing like you think a singer should sing.

That is all.

VV out.
    Damn fuckin' straight.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great to see so many awesome people here, like binnie, Vinnie, Chef, ZZ and so many others. Even those I don't agree with.

Feels good to be talking music with good people after so long away (before my next super-long break).

Been a very, very difficult two years for the Rikk family...but we're hanging together and our new daughter was smiling through the very excellent new live version of AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE yesterday.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's great to see you back, Rikk (and to learn that you're indoctrinating your child into the faith of CVH )

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But the difference was that Trunk is missing is that Dave sang in the correct register even drunk and missing lines in the old days. I have a boot of a Oakland 81 show, not sure what night and as bad as the recording is you can tell Dave is really good on it. So if there is a decent recording of it from a soundboard or a pro recording it would have blown this Japan show away. Eddie said they have tons of shows recorded on pro tools. I'm guessing those goes back to 07. Well in 08 Ed came back from his break really good and Dave was killing it overall. So whay not one of those shows ??? My Baltimore 08 boot smokes this show ! I listened to it twice. It's fun (in spot's ! ) But forgettable too me.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was listening to this today in the car...

Really liked ATBL, HFT, Women in Love, MS on the second disk.

Interestingly the solo is really good, although predictable. I thought the sound was more multi-dimensional that any of the songs are. Too bad they couldn't have figured out a better mix/room ambience
    Roth Army Canada

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    twenty
    16 VAN HALEN
    TOKYO DOME IN CONCERT
    RHINO 28,308

http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ATBL is pretty damn good...bordering on semi-definitive

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    ATBL is pretty damn good...bordering on semi-definitive
    Agreed. An amazing version.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Agreed. An amazing version.
    the RIKK'ster is back

good to see ya, man!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    the RIKK'ster is back

good to see ya, man!
    You pour me a drink, my man.

My health hasn't been at its complete peak these days, so I hope you don't kick me out of the bar for ordering a Smirnoff Ice instead of my usual Single Malt (or Bourbon)...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Deluxe version came in the mail today, with the remastered VH I and 1984, plus the live album....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Deluxe version came in the mail today, with the remastered VH I and 1984, plus the live album....
    You know what they say...

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let us know what you think of the remasters.. So far I've heard there's virtually no difference from the 2000 set.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Let us know what you think of the remasters.. So far I've heard there's virtually no difference from the 2000 set.
    Well, apparently I have no ear for these sort of things, but I agree with you in that I didn't hear any significant difference in listening to VH I this morning.....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, apparently I have no ear for these sort of things, but I agree with you in that I didn't hear any significant difference in listening to VH I this morning.....
    I didn't hear much of a difference in the first remasters. A little louder & Mike was up front a little more. Very little. CASH GRAB !!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Single CD

Unchained
    Devil
    I'm The One
    Want's some
    Doctor
    Hear About It Later
    Pretty Woman
    Really Got Me
    Cradle Will Rock
    Teacher
    Women In Love
    Romeo
    Mean Street
    Beautiful Girls
    Ice Cream Man
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I didn't hear much of a difference in the first remasters. A little louder & Mike was up front a little more. Very little. CASH GRAB !!
    Well damn... that blows. I read an interview with Eddie where he mentioned not liking the reverb on VH I.. I was really hoping this version would have addressed that. I guess there wasn't time to do that either.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed should worry bout what the fans that bought over 10 million copies of his album like. Leave it the fuck alone !

Thread Information