Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-supplements/

Dietary supplement fans got a big "buyer beware" warning this week when the New York attorney general's office ordered GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart to pull a number of store-brand products from their shelves, following an investigation that found most didn't contain herbs listed on their labels. In some cases, the attorney general said the supplements didn't even identify potentially dangerous allergens.

It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).

Sales in 2013 reached $13 billion, as more people turn to the supplements to boost their health and lose weight. One of their biggest boosters is syndicated TV host Mehmet Oz of "Dr. Oz" fame, even though "America's doctor," as he's also known, has gotten into trouble for pushing pills with little medical grounding.

When researchers take a closer look at the products, the results can be alarming. Researchers from a 2012 Inspector General's report found that 20 percent of the weight loss and immune system support supplements they purchased made illegal claims about their ability to treat and cure disease.

A year later, Harvard researchers found that between 2004 and 2012, there were 237 recalls of dietary supplements — accounting for more than half of FDA recalls of Class 1 drugs, which mean the products contain substances that can cause death or serious health problems. And in October, a JAMA study found most of supplements that were recalled for containing dangerous banned drugs were still available to consumers at least six months later.

There's a common public misperception that these products face the same rigorous oversight that pharmaceuticals receive from the FDA. They don't, thanks to a federal law that's been in place since 1994.

Manufacturers of dietary supplements are required to attest their products are safe and accurately tested, but unlike prescription drugs, they're not tested by the FDA before they go to market. The 2012 IG report recommended the FDA seek out this authority through legislation and to expand its limited surveillance of products once they're available to consumers.

The Council for Responsible Nutrition, a trade group representing dietary supplement manufacturers, often pushes back against studies that are critical of the industry. For example, they said the latest JAMA study proved that the vast majority of recalled items were successfully removed from the market. And the group slammed the New York attorney general's investigation as a "self-serving publicity stunt under the guise of public health," contending that his office's findings relied on flawed science.

Federal oversight of the industry has tightened—somewhat. Since 2007, manufacturers have been required to report anytime a consumer experiences a serious medical reaction (whether it's hospitalization or even death) to the FDA within 15 days. The agency received more than 6,000 reports between 2008 and 2011, according to a March 2013 Government Accountability Office report, with most of those coming from industry. However, the GAO said it believes these are probably under-reported because some consumers appear to report these events to poison control centers instead of the FDA.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.
    Oh no! Why, why this is. GOVERNMENT INTRUSION INTO OUR LIVES!

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).
    I'm calling shenanigans on this. If people actual knew what the fuck was actually in those overpriced horse feces and rabbit urine sawdust and dog snot and used freeze-dried douchewater "supplements" sales would plummet. It'll be interesting to see what the vitamin lobbyist will do to circumvent this other than the usual Obama blaming. I'm willing to bet the courts will not be so eager to protect them.

High...on himself
    Last edited by Kristy; 02-10-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Heh, Trollvis and subject in the same sentence.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...?
    It could be said they are false flag crisis actor pills

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ahhh...

My misinformed public...

But they love me...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them.

8. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (02-10-2015),kwame k (02-11-2015)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    GNC is a rip off...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them.
    1) How do you define 'natural medicine'?

2) At what point does the supplements industry become 'big supplement'? It's currently worth $30 billion and expected to double in the next 5 years. Why would big pharma lobby against these placebos when they aren't competition (you don't stop taking real medicines because you are taking multivitamins) and more importantly a lot of supplements are sold by big pharma.

This 'anti supplement crap' comes from the fact that they are selling shit that has no evidence of working and half the time their products don't even contain the stuff they haven't proved works.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One example of "natural medicine" would be the anti-viral properties of Chinese Star Anise.

Big pharma's not going to disagree with me on this, because they take Chinese Star Anise, grind it up and mix it with a bunch of fillers and other toxic shit into an overpriced pill and call it "Tamiflu".

Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And of course, there's the cannabis plant, which seems to have new medicinal applications for it every week or so. To the point where growers are now making strains high in CBDs with little or no THC, so it wouldn't get you high even if you smoked a bale of the shit, but it would provide all kinds of relief for a whole laundry lists of symptoms and side effects.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some of the worst poisons known to man are 'natural'.

Chinese medicine is natural, eat a tiger dick and you will solve your impotence.

A lot of this shit is just superstitious crap that doesn't work. Real medicine has to go through tests. Sometimes pharma corporations fix these trials and they only publish positive results. I don't get though how that is inferior to not having to test stuff at all. In the US due to past sins there is also the suspicion that the clinicians take bribes to prescribe but I think that's overstated these days and rules are much stricter than they used to be.

None of this is new - you should read up on the 'The appeal to nature fallacy'

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

Cheers!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I'm a big believer in natural medicine...(
    Are you now?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    GNC is a rip off...
    In other words, they won't accept your EBT card.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.
    Really? You drink that shit? For one, that is not tea, it's floor sweepings and

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.
    Tea has nothing to do with "attacking" a virus since they are not complete cells like bacteria; they exist essentially as parasites on living cells (like Trollvis does here). These organisms use the biochemical products of other living cells to replicate. I highly doubt some shitty tea has any affect. No virus is typical. That is to say the replication and transmission is by way of how the virus attaches itself to the host cell and that mechanism is so complex and varied I don't see how tea can make any difference.

So your big-pharma paranoia is a wee bit Trollvis sounding here.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some REAL tea from qualified tea vendors (i.e., tea snobs). Stay far away from that retail shit.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I only drink the anti-viral tea when needed. I can't drink a lot of black tea, because it fucks with my kidneys big time, for some odd reason (coffee never has, nor does beer, thank God! )

As for tea-snob shops, there used to be one around the corner just over the freeway, but they closed up and it became an organic produce store instead. They also sell some decent beer though, so that's OK. Not sure where I'd find snobby tea now, if I wanted any.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The tea may have helped with the symptoms but it was your own body that defeated the virus.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I only drink the anti-viral tea when needed.
    No such thing. Unless there is some empirical scientific evidence that tea synthesis viral DNA rendering it harmless, alters proteins, host walls, what have you.

You're the last person I suspect who would fall for such a marketing scam.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The tea may have helped with the symptoms but it was your own body that defeated the virus.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post

You're the last person I suspect who would fall for such a marketing scam.
    That's because you're an idiot...

You both fell for Obomba...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Here's an idea, Trollvis:

Learn some before posting

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Here's an idea, KKKrusty...

Sociology isn't your bag...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Employment does not seem to be yours.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The whole game is rigged because there's billions of dollars a year fleecing the sheep.

I stopped taking any supplements or quick fix pill or powder years ago for one reason.

It makes more sense to get all the nutritional needs from the foods you eat than a pill. It makes more sense in an evolutionary development way. Our bodies have evolved to get all the vitamins and nutrients we need from foods.

The only drawback to that is.......the bullshit way that damn near anyone can slap an Organic label on something and sell it for twice as much money.

So it does take a bit more research and seasonally I shop from farmers I know to be ethical about how they raise their food. It's relatively local and supports small businesses.

Now if they'd just label the GMO's so you can figure out which ones aren't bad for you and which ones are pure poison, it'd be a step in the right direction. .

26. 2 users say thank you to kwame k for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-12-2015),TFM_Dale (02-12-2015)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

And of course, there's the cannabis plant, which seems to have new medicinal applications for it every week or so. To the point where growers are now making strains high in CBDs with little or no THC, so it wouldn't get you high even if you smoked a bale of the shit, but it would provide all kinds of relief for a whole laundry lists of symptoms and side effects.
    Those CBD heavy plants are primarily used for children with severe seizure disorders. Amazing!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Those CBD heavy plants are primarily used for children with severe seizure disorders. Amazing!
    Yeah, I remember reading about a case where this poor 9 year old girl was dealing with 100 fucking seizures a month. Her doctors tried all the big pharma drugs, none of them worked. Put her on CBD cannabis extracts and she's now completely seizure-free.

Natural medicine in action.

29. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-12-2015)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I take vitamin supplements because I don't absorb b12 and am extremely deficient in vitamin D. Mine are by prescription though, not over the counter. I pay less than $2 for D and $6 for my b12 (which goes under the tongue). MUCH cheaper than that shit on the shelves that you just piss out.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Now if they'd just label the GMO's so you can figure out which ones aren't bad for you and which ones are pure poison, it'd be a step in the right direction. .
    It's not the trendy thing to say but it seems that all the science points to GMO's being totally safe. That doesn't mean that some could not be unhealthy in the same way that eating a block of butter each day wouldn't be healthy.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Just give them weed. Tons of weed.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's not the trendy thing to say but it seems that all the science points to GMO's being totally safe. That doesn't mean that some could not be unhealthy in the same way that eating a block of butter each day wouldn't be healthy.
    To be simplistic, the Indians genetically modified crops and throughout history man has genetically modified crops and live stock. So I'm not one of these people who believe manipulating our food on a genetic level is necessarily a bad thing.

The concern I have is when they start splicing pesticides into crops. Maybe it's semantics and what I'm concerned about is genetically engineered crops. Like the pesticide they spliced into corn. The pesticide is there and it's not like you can rinse that stuff off.

Would labeling all food as to whether or not it's GMO or GE modified cause people to falsely boycott a product based on prejudice and not science? 50/50!

As with vaccines, you'll get a fringe element that'll just look at the word GMO or GE and immediately dismiss it but what it will do is bring more scrutiny to our food supply, hopefully.

It might just force the big corporations to have to defend the use of it and once it's out in the open, independent research can weigh in if it's safe or not! As it stands now independent research is out there but when the public makes it a hot button issue more funding will go towards a higher level of scrutiny, it becomes trendy and media ratings rule the earth

Transparency is never a bad thing.and if big corporations lied for 60 + years about tobacco and the link to cancer, then I don't trust the FDA or big corporations when they say, "Trust us, it's not harmful".

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Genetic engineering within natural means is generally harmless, and often beneficial. Like grafting one branch of a fruit tree onto another, or how domestic cattle basically evolved from somebody long ago deciding that an ox should fuck a buffalo (or whatever it was)

But that's considerably different from fish genes in tomatoes, and pesticides being built in to this artificial crap that passes for "corn" these days.

Wildlife will not eat MonSatan "corn". I won't either.... but in my case, it's learning from the damage already done. Somehow, the critters knew better in the first place.

As far as how this all ties into the vaccines and autism thing...... mercury has been the suspected culprit in vaccines. But what's lesser known is that mercury is used in the process of turning that so-called "corn" into the cheap corporate sugar substitute, High Fructose Corn Poison.

And in the typical American diet, odds are a child might get more mercury in their system from HFCS poisoned food than from vaccine needles.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The GMO themselves may be fine...but those plants are round-up ready. So we are consuming pesticides when we eat that shit...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The worst thing that happens in US farming is the crazy excessive use of antibiotics in farm animals.

They are making the bugs evolve to the point we have no antibiotics left that still work and we'll all be dying from routine surgery or ailments again at 1940s levels.

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-12-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And in the typical American diet, odds are a child might get more mercury in their system from HFCS poisoned food than from vaccine needles.
    The negligible amount of mercury in vaccines was reduced to none many years ago now.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The negligible amount of mercury in vaccines was reduced to none many years ago now.
    I'd say the worst thing about the vaccines is when they insist on doing multiple vaccines at the same time. Kids are going to hate needles no matter what, so you might as well spread them out over time rather than loading it all up in one or two shots.

Worst thing that ever happened to me from a vaccine was that the tetanus shot made my right arm useless for about 3 weeks. Being a kid at the time I never gave much thought to whether it was a reaction to the vaccine itself, or just an incompetent nurse who jabbed the needle wrong.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unusual thing to happen but better than polio.

Kids are fine with shots as long as the parents don't make a fuss and pass on their anxiety. They are far less painful than any number of bumps and falls a kid has in an average day.

Having multiple shots means that you get them done quicker lessening the time when they are vulnerable, it's cheaper and less hassle. As they are given to huge amounts of people there is a huge amount of safety data generated.

41. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-12-2015)

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Worst thing that ever happened to me from a vaccine was that the tetanus shot made my right arm useless for about 3 weeks. Being a kid at the time I never gave much thought to whether it was a reaction to the vaccine itself, or just an incompetent nurse who jabbed the needle wrong.
    Tetanus is a deep muscle injection if I recall. Chances are you tensed up right before the injection and rather than it being a vaccination related issue it was a case of muscle spasm.

43. Thanked VetteLS5 for this KICKASS post:

Angel (02-12-2015)

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The GMO themselves may be fine...but those plants are round-up ready. So we are consuming pesticides when we eat that shit...
    You've been eating pesticides on your agricultural products for over 50 years. Most, during your formative years, were far worse than those that today are in many cases formulated from natural plant chemicals.

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLS5 View Post
    Tetanus is a deep muscle injection if I recall. Chances are you tensed up right before the injection and rather than it being a vaccination related issue it was a case of muscle spasm.
    And I say this only because when I was about 11 I stepped on a nail and had to have a tetanus injection in my ass cheek. I panicked and clenched that thing right before the shot and I couldn't walk right for about a week.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLS5 View Post
    Yeah sorry I missed the bit where he said it was tetanus. According to Ozzy rabies shots are particularly painful too.

Thread Information