Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

Americans are ignoring the science and spending billions on dietary supplements

Dietary supplement fans got a big "buyer beware" warning this week when the New York attorney general's office ordered GNC, Target, Walgreens and Wal-Mart to pull a number of store-brand products from their shelves, following an investigation that found most didn't contain herbs listed on their labels. In some cases, the attorney general said the supplements didn't even identify potentially dangerous allergens.

It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).

Sales in 2013 reached $13 billion, as more people turn to the supplements to boost their health and lose weight. One of their biggest boosters is syndicated TV host Mehmet Oz of "Dr. Oz" fame, even though "America's doctor," as he's also known, has gotten into trouble for pushing pills with little medical grounding.

When researchers take a closer look at the products, the results can be alarming. Researchers from a 2012 Inspector General's report found that 20 percent of the weight loss and immune system support supplements they purchased made illegal claims about their ability to treat and cure disease.

A year later, Harvard researchers found that between 2004 and 2012, there were 237 recalls of dietary supplements — accounting for more than half of FDA recalls of Class 1 drugs, which mean the products contain substances that can cause death or serious health problems. And in October, a JAMA study found most of supplements that were recalled for containing dangerous banned drugs were still available to consumers at least six months later.

There's a common public misperception that these products face the same rigorous oversight that pharmaceuticals receive from the FDA. They don't, thanks to a federal law that's been in place since 1994.

Manufacturers of dietary supplements are required to attest their products are safe and accurately tested, but unlike prescription drugs, they're not tested by the FDA before they go to market. The 2012 IG report recommended the FDA seek out this authority through legislation and to expand its limited surveillance of products once they're available to consumers.

The Council for Responsible Nutrition, a trade group representing dietary supplement manufacturers, often pushes back against studies that are critical of the industry. For example, they said the latest JAMA study proved that the vast majority of recalled items were successfully removed from the market. And the group slammed the New York attorney general's investigation as a "self-serving publicity stunt under the guise of public health," contending that his office's findings relied on flawed science.

Federal oversight of the industry has tightened—somewhat. Since 2007, manufacturers have been required to report anytime a consumer experiences a serious medical reaction (whether it's hospitalization or even death) to the FDA within 15 days. The agency received more than 6,000 reports between 2008 and 2011, according to a March 2013 Government Accountability Office report, with most of those coming from industry. However, the GAO said it believes these are probably under-reported because some consumers appear to report these events to poison control centers instead of the FDA.
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

It was the latest in a series of studies and investigations that have cast serious doubt on the safety and reliability of these products, which face laxer regulatory scrutiny compared to prescription drugs.
    Oh no! Why, why this is. GOVERNMENT INTRUSION INTO OUR LIVES!

But none of that has changed the fact that Americans are nuts for dietary supplements, as you can see in the chart below (red bars indicate projected sales).
    I'm calling shenanigans on this. If people actual knew what the fuck was actually in those overpriced horse feces and rabbit urine sawdust and dog snot and used freeze-dried douchewater "supplements" sales would plummet. It'll be interesting to see what the vitamin lobbyist will do to circumvent this other than the usual Obama blaming. I'm willing to bet the courts will not be so eager to protect them.

High...on himself
    Last edited by Kristy; 02-10-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...?

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Heh, Trollvis and subject in the same sentence.

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Is it possible that this is yet another subject ELVIS has been wrong about for all these years...?
          It could be said they are false flag crisis actor pills
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Ahhh...

My misinformed public...

But they love me...

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

GNC is a rip off...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                  Not at all surprised that WalMart would be selling crappy product. It's what they do.

But GNC.... for what those bastards charge for supplements, the shit should include official certification.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine, and I know damn well, that most of this anti-supplement crap comes directly from big pharma lobbyists & propagandists. But the natural medicines industry had better police itself. Before the drug pushers talk the government into doing it for them.
                  1) How do you define 'natural medicine'?

2) At what point does the supplements industry become 'big supplement'? It's currently worth $30 billion and expected to double in the next 5 years. Why would big pharma lobby against these placebos when they aren't competition (you don't stop taking real medicines because you are taking multivitamins) and more importantly a lot of supplements are sold by big pharma.

This 'anti supplement crap' comes from the fact that they are selling shit that has no evidence of working and half the time their products don't even contain the stuff they haven't proved works.
                  Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

One example of "natural medicine" would be the anti-viral properties of Chinese Star Anise.

Big pharma's not going to disagree with me on this, because they take Chinese Star Anise, grind it up and mix it with a bunch of fillers and other toxic shit into an overpriced pill and call it "Tamiflu".

Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And of course, there's the cannabis plant, which seems to have new medicinal applications for it every week or so. To the point where growers are now making strains high in CBDs with little or no THC, so it wouldn't get you high even if you smoked a bale of the shit, but it would provide all kinds of relief for a whole laundry lists of symptoms and side effects.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some of the worst poisons known to man are 'natural'.

Chinese medicine is natural, eat a tiger dick and you will solve your impotence.

A lot of this shit is just superstitious crap that doesn't work. Real medicine has to go through tests. Sometimes pharma corporations fix these trials and they only publish positive results. I don't get though how that is inferior to not having to test stuff at all. In the US due to past sins there is also the suspicion that the clinicians take bribes to prescribe but I think that's overstated these days and rules are much stricter than they used to be.

None of this is new - you should read up on the 'The appeal to nature fallacy'

An appeal to nature is a logical fallacy that occurs when something is assumed to be good because it is "natural" or bad because it is "unnatural".

Cheers!

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I'm a big believer in natural medicine...(
                          Are you now?

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            GNC is a rip off...
                            In other words, they won't accept your EBT card.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Me, I drink it in the form of a spice flavored tea that I can get at Trader Joes for $2.
                              Really? You drink that shit? For one, that is not tea, it's floor sweepings and

Knocked the Hell out of whatever crappy virus I had a couple weeks ago, as it has in the past.

If big pharma had their way, I wouldn't be able to buy this tea anymore. As it is, I can't find a similar product made by Celestial Seasonings anywhere, though every grocery store in town carries a wide variety of their tea brands.
                              Tea has nothing to do with "attacking" a virus since they are not complete cells like bacteria; they exist essentially as parasites on living cells (like Trollvis does here). These organisms use the biochemical products of other living cells to replicate. I highly doubt some shitty tea has any affect. No virus is typical. That is to say the replication and transmission is by way of how the virus attaches itself to the host cell and that mechanism is so complex and varied I don't see how tea can make any difference.

So your big-pharma paranoia is a wee bit Trollvis sounding here.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself some REAL tea from qualified tea vendors (i.e., tea snobs). Stay far away from that retail shit.

Comment

Working...