X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarathecarrot
    Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I hear the new Aliens movie is going to pretend that 3 and 4 didn't happen.
    I have the trilogy on VHS saw the 4th in the theater never bothered to buy it .

I still get a chill from the first one late at night cant sleep I pop that baby in and it is like fuck'n spooky all over again,classic.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I think what made the first one work so well was that it was bare bones. Sure, the sets and "effects" as far as the miniatures and stuff were awesome. But it was a bare bones story: something's coming and it ain't good. Plus you had an incredible cast of actors to pull it off.

I know nothing about this next Alien movie that's about to be made. But I wish they'd just reboot the fucker. The last thing I want to see is a juiced up Sig Weaver running around killing shit. And for God's sake - make the ships (cause it has to be set in space) look like they did in the first one: industrial pieces that are nothing special, well except for the fact that they're space ships.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

I am a big 1950s scfi nut and one of my favorite directors writer special effects guys is Ray Harryhausen and he said on a interview that they have dialog in these movies but that just surrounds the creature (paraphrasing).

It is a sci fi flick it needs to have those elements and not just take place in a hallway with intense, I need a Oscar, jibby jabber.

Where are the spaceships!! that is my favorite line while watching..lol..

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

As much as I love UFOs and shit like that....I've never really gotten into the 50s stuff. I should. When I was a kid I used to watch all sorts of B sci fi movies but they were mostly late 60s/early-mid 70s stuff.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

I also do the 60s and 70s made films the Japanese Godzilla stuff just takes the edge off a bad day and I dig it.. I like the simplicity of a well made flick from those times as you mentioned bare bones but with something more than what most studios were producing at that time, in that idea of entertainment.. I don't ness, like the Horror slasher stuff but the first Jason and Friday the13th all good I like that stuff.

The Blade Runner movie could lend itself to CGI if done right what is more Replicant than CGI or what is more CGI than a replicants vision... of the world around him.

I buy my 50s films in widescreen with all the whistles and buzzers attached expensive hobby 5 movies might cost me 80bucks it is fun collection them but some I have thought were going to be good are unwatchable not so much due to the passage of time and lack of scifi skills some of those movies were just run off by the studios I guess to use up old black and white film stocks left over from the 1940s lol.

It can be hit and miss on bang for the buck.
            Last edited by clarathecarrot; 03-03-2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

I think a BR sequel has to be mostly shot as practical sets. There's just no other way to get the grainy look and feel of the original. And it has to have that film noir look that the original did. The clothes and the sets have to have that look. And like I said about a new Alien film, the technology has to have that same look...to steal a term - future primitive. Yeah sure there's flying cars. So what. They're no big deal. And the technology can't be what we see technology as - all slick and clean and pretty. It should just be there and not be all that impressive because it's been like that for so long that nobody really gives a shit how it looks any more.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                Full Member Status

• May 2010

Good post.

I doubt they can shoot and kill a woman anymore in these future flicks or any movies these days... even if she is a robot there will probably be a 97lb supermodel who will kick several professional killer styled male thugs asses and not have a scratch on her, equal to the male leads in the flick in strength.. or the lesbian alliance of equality for women in will say the film victimizes women. even if they are robots.

Movies these days are owned by special interest groups who barter money for the rights of image use.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

You should check out the TV show Archer. With the exception of last season, it's set between 1970 - around 1973. But they have a lot of today's technology. So you have the look and feel of the late 60s/early 70s, with the cars and clothes but modern shit tossed in too. And there's no limitations as far as the PC bullshit that permeates today's society. And it's fucking hilarious.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

If you think Archer is funny you seriously need to upgrade your basic cable plan.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      If you think Archer is funny you seriously need to upgrade your basic cable plan.
                      If this relationship is going to work you're going to have to at least pretend you like some of the same stuff that I do.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

I am confident that the new Blade Runner movie will suck.
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

They don't have any golf courses in the future so I don't expect Harrison to be flying anything in this film....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              Hmm...how would Deckard have aged since he's a replicant?
                              Good question. How the Hell would Androids age? I suppose their metal parts could degrade and rust, but the synthetic skin should be immune to aging.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Anonymous
                                Banned
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                                Hmm...how would Deckard have aged since he's a replicant?
                                How do you know he's a replicant?

Only one version of the film made that clear, I think it was the Extended Director's Cut or something.

The original was purposefully left ambiguous.

I'd have thought a Star Wars fan like you would be more wary of these remastered versions released years later.

Comment

Working...