ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

I smh @ evh

So, I decided to give the Smithsonian thing another viewing yesterday to see if there were any points of interest I missed the first time around. Not too much to speak of, yet, while taking in all of Ed's words again, about "the music coming first" and it all starting with him and Al, it just amazed me how, to this day, he still refuses to properly acknowledge, the importance of the chemistry developed between both he and Dave. Their chemistry is every bit in the vain of Lennon and McCartney or Jagger and Richards that Dave had alluded to in his book.

At one point, Ed states what kind of music the members of the band were into at the time of their development, and he mentioned Dave was into disco. The majority of the crowd laughed. A telling sign of just how many were in attendance that just never got it and just never will. Even though I don't believe he meant it as a joke, that statement is still a tremendous downplay of the wide breadth of Dave's musical influences. Influences that we all know were responsible for the creation of one of the most outrageous and creative front-men the genre of Rock and Roll has ever known.

That lead to the segment in which he is describing the feat of VH I succeeding during the era of punk and disco. I began to think of the age old argument I'd had with countless forum posters and people face to face through out the past 25 years. I know. Kind of pathetic to be so moved by a band to want to set people straight about their origins. There are way bigger fish to fry in life, but I digress. The argument is: would the band Van Halen have succeeded at all if they never crossed paths with Roth? With this recurring question, a Back To The Future scenario sprung to mind. What if Ed and Al had teamed up with a mediocre mouth-breather like Don Dokken instead?

Imagine that, while imagining the non-existence of a Dave-lead Van Halen. You know. The band that blended summer fun with the viscous attack of Sabbath and Zeppelin. The band that crafted hooky pop gems that the youth of the '70's and '80s could and would gladly sing along with. The band that kept rock and roll sounding original and fresh among the din of noise created by disco, punk and corporate shlock-rock. A band as a whole that was so creative, it paved the way for others influenced and inspired by them to come to be. A band proving to be such a commodity for record labels, that the labels were desperate to create coat-tail riders to follow in their wake with the hopes of lining their pockets even more. Just imagine that band never came to be. I wholeheartedly believe that there's a good possibility that Eddie Van Halen wouldn't have gotten the chance that players like George Lynch, Mark Kendall, Warren Demartini and countless others had to break in, in the first place. For it was the band Van Halen, the sum of of all it's parts, that took the world by storm in 1978. Not just the virtuoso and his guitar. VH I is not an instrumental record. It is band record. One for the ages that would never have been created for us to hear had the band been fronted by the likes of Don Dokken.

And that's the Back To The Future moment right there. All of the L.A. based bands like Dokken, Great White, Ratt and the countless others would have remained in the muck and the mire that was, for all intents and purposes, a rock scene that was limping to it's own grave. Eddie Van Halen, with a lackluster front-man, would have been just as much of a stick in the mud as George Lynch, who's The Boyz failed to launch, or Mark Kendall, who's Great White might never have taken flight, or Warren Demaritini, who's Ratt would never have been created by Marshall Berle to ride the coattails of a successful band, if the Dave-lead version of Van Halen never came to exist!

So to you, Mr. Edward Van Halen, I extend my congratulations on you're phenomenal American dream story and all of your success as an innovator with the guitar, but know this: it was David Lee Roth who helped keep that spot light shining on you from the day you hired him. It was David Lee Roth who kept your brand of rock guitar playing relevant in an era of disinterest in rock guitar playing, and it was David Lee Roth, who helped Van Halen achieve their goal of getting signed, recording an album and succeeding in the business of rock and roll during it's most bleakest phase. And so, on behalf of David Lee Roth, I say this:

You're welcome.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 10 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (03-05-2015),ELVIS (03-02-2015),Fairwrning (03-07-2015),katina (03-02-2015),Momshell (03-07-2015),Seshmeister (03-02-2015),ThatArtGuy (03-02-2015),VAiN (03-02-2015),vandeleur (03-02-2015),Von Halen (03-02-2015)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Edwad's still mad at Dave for walking out on him forty years ago...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Edwad's still mad at Dave for walking out on him forty years ago...
    Do you blame Ed? Look what he had to put up with for the next 10 years or so.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I thought Sam was his soul mate...

Or was that Ga y ??

6. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-02-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

I seriously doubt Ed's comment about Dave being into disco, was a joke. Ray told me the DLR Band used to go over to Dave's house, and Dave would get out all different kinds of music, and they would learn it and jam on it. He said they would go back decades, to stuff you'd never imagine, and learn it and jam on it. Ray said Dave always believed you have to be extremely versatile, and have the ability to not only play, but understand, many different styles, and then combine it into your own style. I think if you go back and listen to the different covers VH performed before they made it big, you'll see Dave's influence, and his thought process, all over this band. I also believe that is the reason Van Halen can cover probably any recording ever made, and still make it their own. I like to call that Van Halenizing it.

8. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

ALMOSTsaved (04-03-2015),DLR Bridge (03-02-2015),katina (03-02-2015)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And they could do it again if they could actually hang out in the same room together...

Who knows...

I had high hopes for this band even with Wolfie...

Oh well, I guess...

10. 4 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-02-2015),mh5150 (03-02-2015),vandeleur (03-02-2015),Von Halen (03-02-2015)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I think a lot of us had high hopes for this.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And they could do it again if they could actually hang out in the same room together...

Who knows...

I had high hopes for this band even with Wolfie...
    Same here. Dave wanted them all to "wood shed" a couple of years ago at his friends house in Hawaii. If only they took him up on that.

13. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (03-02-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I seriously doubt Ed's comment about Dave being into disco, was a joke. Ray told me the DLR Band used to go over to Dave's house, and Dave would get out all different kinds of music, and they would learn it and jam on it. He said they would go back decades, to stuff you'd never imagine, and learn it and jam on it. Ray said Dave always believed you have to be extremely versatile, and have the ability to not only play, but understand, many different styles, and then combine it into your own style. I think if you go back and listen to the different covers VH performed before they made it big, you'll see Dave's influence, and his thought process, all over this band. I also believe that is the reason Van Halen can cover probably any recording ever made, and still make it their own. I like to call that Van Halenizing it.
    Awesome insight, Von. I always liked how Dave claimed to check the VH club days cover-tune selections for "dancability". He knew all along how to make that band, as he would later proclaim, "something for everyone".

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I hated disco in the day. If you remember it was all over the radio and everywhere. Then that awful soft rock. Ironically Van Halen was one of the acts who brought real rock and rock back. You can hear Dave's diverse influence on Big Bad Bill, Women and Children First, Diver Down was a Dave album, and there is some funky stuff on the Fair Warning album. Dave likes to dance and still does. He's in his house listening to soul music dancing around. It's Dave. It's what he does. I mean I've seen old pictures of Dave in spandex, dancing shoes, with leg warmers on. Ha! ha! He's the only guy in rock and roll who could pull that off without everyone saying FAG! Dave got away with it because the music was bad ass and he was a bad ass on stage. Nobody had the guts to call him a fag to his face. It was a interesting social dynamic for sure.

16. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

mh5150 (03-02-2015),Zen Halen (03-02-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    All the right parts had to come together at the right time for Van Halen to exist and make the impact that they accomplished. The time, place, personnel and the combined experiences/attitude they all brought.

You can rag on Ed not covering the contributions of of everyone involved in Van Halen since they came together... but then again... the Smithsonian appearance was about Ed and HIS American life's journey. It wasn't about the other guys... the band...

Sure everyone knows it was a group collaborative deal making all that musical magic & mayhem... but you have to pay fucking attention to the program and what was on the menu that day!! You can't go boiling the ocean in order to cook a cup of rice...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree. It would have been nice had he said something, but yeah, Ed stayed in context. However, he did rave about Al.

He raved about Wolfie as well of course but was asked a direct question if I recall.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    but then again... the Smithsonian appearance was about Ed and HIS American life's journey.
    Gimme a fuckin' break with your serendipitous bullshit...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Here's a good one...

21. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (03-02-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm aware ZZ, in fact, read my last paragraph again. I know full well who this particular show was about. I admire the guy and am grateful for what he brought to the guitar. But to hear him praise his brother about 10 times and then the only mention of Dave was, "he was into disco" is a bit bull shit. The conversation was way more than just about his guitar prowess. Hell, a couple of the questions from the audience were band related.

23. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-08-2015),ELVIS (03-02-2015)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Here's a good pic...

25. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-02-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Here's a good one...

Just imagine seeing them walk out together on the Kimmel show....I would literally shit myself laughing.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I can hear it now...

"We couldn't find Dave, so I gave Sam a call."

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I can hear it now...

"We couldn't find Dave, so I gave Sam a call."
    Ah, one can only hope. Then I want to see everybody say "Be glad for what you got!" hahahahahaha

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Here's a good one...

That's probably the fakest fucking smile I've ever seen on Sammy's face. I know damn fucking well that he'd rather be anywhere else in the world than in Van Halen. He didn't give a fuck about anybody but himself on that tour.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    That's probably the fakest fucking smile I've ever seen on Sammy's face.
    You're the fakest expert...

31. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

philouze (03-07-2015)

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fucking fuck fuckety fucking fuck. Great fucking post, fucking Elvis. Fucking fuck.

33. Thanked philouze for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (03-07-2015)

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All images of that douche should be limited to TEXT only and that should be frowned upon by the modulators.

Example: there is this pic of Ed and some douche on a plane and this fucking douche looks like the same mother fucker who replaced DLR in Val- Halen back 1985.

Then the poster should follow that text writing with his or her snappy explanation of why they should be shot for mentioning that douche.

No pictures should be posted especially in MAIN!!!!

and for my explanation of this behavioral dysfunction in main. I also should be shot.

Thread Information