View Poll Results: Should the VH Torch be snuffed out?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it lit!

5 35.71%
  • Snuff it out until Mike Anthony returns

6 42.86%
  • It's a stupid .gif....who the fuck cares?

3 21.43%
  • Only light it if all 3 singers are in the band

0 0%
  • Only light it if all three singers and both bass players are in the band

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snuff the torch?

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Question Snuff the torch?

OK....DLR has been back in the VH fold for 8 years. When he returned, this website went nuts and declared "the return of the Mighty Van Halen." Those were some dizzying days to be sure, and our voracious appetites were (temporarily) sated.

But, as is customary for humans, we always want more.

Now....the battle drums are beating for the return of Michael Anthony. "It ain't Van Halen without Michael Anthony" is the new call to arms, at least for many here on this site.

With that, I ask...should the VH Torch remain lit? 8 years ago, it was set ablaze in the triumph of Roth's return. But now, it would seem that many don't even acknowledge this particular incarnation of the band.

Has the tribe spoken? Should the torch be snuffed?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

You forgot "Fire SpanishGay Guy".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-19-2015),DONNIEP (03-19-2015),lesfunk (03-20-2015)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

You need a " if Dave was killing it ( see warfs crossroads vid) would we even be talking about mike " button

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

It's not that some of us "don't even acknowledge this particular incarnation of the band". Not at all. We were here going nuts when Dave got back in the band. We had "gig nights" for most of the shows on the last tour - people texting out the setlist from the show and updates from the show to another member who'd post them here. Then uploading video from the shows the next day - or later that night. We went to the shows, bought the T Shirts, sat here on Cafe Wha? night trying to stream the show (which didn't happen) and staying in multiple threads all at once updating all of them and banging the refresh button like coked up monkeys. Then we bought the last record (most of us in multiple formats), and went to the shows again.

But man, this has been 8 years of Wolfie in the band. Yay, he's the greatest bass player on earth and is the leader of the band and can perform miracles. So what. We all paid up and put enough cash in that kid's pocket so he can literally sit and play video games until he's 100 years old if he wants to. And some of us want to see a real reunion before Dave gets to where he can't so much as sing Happy Birthday. I don't buy into the "be happy with what you got" attitude. If I did I would have been "happy" while Slappy was in the band or when Gary was in the band. Ed said those were the definitive versions of Van Halen too.

And honestly, at this point after almost 40 years of being a fan of a band that broke up in 1985 yeah I don't think it's asking too much to want to see Mikey back up there. Of course Ed won't do it 'cause he's got to play with his son. Which is fine, his choice. And you only see that kind of dysfunction in VH. So if they tour I'll probably sit this one out, unless they drop a few bucks on a real stage and maybe a couple lights AND revamp the set list.

6. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (03-19-2015),kwame k (03-19-2015)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

To be honest I couldn't give a shit either way .
    Am from England where the history comes from , van Halen don't even know where that is.
    They don't play here or exist in any tangible form here , there like Middle Earth or some other fantasy thing.
    If I mention van halen to rock fans they are as likely to mention a sammy tune as a dave.
    It's like being a member of a cult.

The only place van exist is on here or on my cd player it's not like they are real or anything.

Dave or the grave sounds a funny thing to say these days

8. 3 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (03-19-2015),kwame k (03-19-2015),VHscraps (03-20-2015)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    It's not that some of us "don't even acknowledge this particular incarnation of the band". Not at all. We were here going nuts when Dave got back in the band. We had "gig nights" for most of the shows on the last tour - people texting out the setlist from the show and updates from the show to another member who'd post them here. Then uploading video from the shows the next day - or later that night. We went to the shows, bought the T Shirts, sat here on Cafe Wha? night trying to stream the show (which didn't happen) and staying in multiple threads all at once updating all of them and banging the refresh button like coked up monkeys. Then we bought the last record (most of us in multiple formats), and went to the shows again.

But man, this has been 8 years of Wolfie in the band. Yay, he's the greatest bass player on earth and is the leader of the band and can perform miracles. So what. We all paid up and put enough cash in that kid's pocket so he can literally sit and play video games until he's 100 years old if he wants to. And some of us want to see a real reunion before Dave gets to where he can't so much as sing Happy Birthday. I don't buy into the "be happy with what you got" attitude. If I did I would have been "happy" while Slappy was in the band or when Gary was in the band. Ed said those were the definitive versions of Van Halen too.

And honestly, at this point after almost 40 years of being a fan of a band that broke up in 1985 yeah I don't think it's asking too much to want to see Mikey back up there. Of course Ed won't do it 'cause he's got to play with his son. Which is fine, his choice. And you only see that kind of dysfunction in VH. So if they tour I'll probably sit this one out, unless they drop a few bucks on a real stage and maybe a couple lights AND revamp the set list.
    I hear ya Donnie. I was right here with everyone during the craziness of the reunion. I had my laptop on my kitchen island trying in vain to stream the Café Wha? show. I saw all of the pictures....of WARF touching Dave's microphone, etc...

I heard the odd clueless Asian dude yelling "NEW SONG!! NEW SONG!!" when they launched into "She's The Woman"...not realizing it was a recycled tune from the vault.

But you keep misquoting me. I never said "be happy with what you got." You did it up in the chat box too. I said "sometimes you have to take what you got." You don't necessarily have to be thrilled with it, but by the same token you don't need to completely implode about it either.

I always thought that in this joint, it was all about ROTH. So I just assumed that most were happy...even if it was a reluctant happiness without Mike Anthony.

And it seems like the linchpin in this whole thing is the use of the word "definitive." If that's the word that Ed used, then discard it. We all know by now not to listen to anything Ed says and take it seriously. By way of example...

- Everybody who Ed described as a "brother" is out of this band.
    - Ed is not playing the tuba
    - Dave has no need for a cup

And so on, and so on...

Admittedly, I was away for awhile and I know attitudes change. I just never thought there would be this level of discontent with a DLR-fronted Van Halen. At least not at the Roth Army.

I'm not saying Wolf is great or that he's a superior replacement for Mike. He's not...and he never will be.

I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't lost my appreciation for what he did in getting those two Dutch fucks off their asses, and getting us as close as we've ever been to Classic Van Halen since 1984.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    But you keep misquoting me. I never said "be happy with what you got." You did it up in the chat box too. I said "sometimes you have to take what you got." You don't necessarily have to be thrilled with it, but by the same token you don't need to completely implode about it either.
    No, what you said was, and I quote, "Donnie - be happy with what you got because it's betterer than the REAL Van Halen and I am jealous of your cool shoes!" I know that's what you said.

I took what I got, paid money, enjoyed the shows I went to. I ain't about to "implode" over a band that really doesn't even exist anymore. VH is like New Kids On The Block or New Edition at this point - they tour every 5 years or so to fill up the bank accounts lol.

I was thrilled when Dave got back in the band. And as I've said recently - going to a live VH show these days doesn't suck. It's still fun as hell and a great time. But I'm not interested in seeing them again, doing basically the same damn show and some 20something up there in an original member's spot. I'm sure Wolf is a great kid, nice guy, all that stuff. He just has no business being in Van Halen. So what if he put some magic ear buds in Ed's ears and healed him? Hell, I could have done that. Does that mean I should be the bass player? Wait...yes, yes it does! I SHOULD be the bass player in VH! I'll even bring back Mikey's solo and hop all over the stage like a coked up monkey!

DB - come on babayyy! We're goin' on tour!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't speak for everyone fryingdutchman, but I think most of the discontent is from this bands lack of respect for its most hardcore followers. Sometimes it seems they just flat refuse to give us what we want, just to be dicks. Basically Wolf is now suffering for what he was responsible for giving us. I think most of us appreciate him getting Dave back in the band. For renewing his Dad's interest in the classic and timeless stuff. For probably saving his Dad's life. Yes, even for playing bass in the band, and doing those tours. What we don't care for, is the embracing of the past, while at the same time ignoring it. To call this live album "definitive" is a joke enough. But to not even throw so much as a bone to us, by including a show from the original VH, is beyond belief. Their expectation that we are just supposed to support their laziness, because they're the mighty Van Halen, is ignorant on their parts. They 100% should have packaged this live album, with an old show. Then, they top it off by releasing what was probably one of Dave's worst performances.

I'm not buying it. Literally and figuratively.

12. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (03-19-2015),DONNIEP (03-19-2015),kwame k (03-19-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I still say we have a giant black cock coming out of the top of the torch...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I agree with the others, it's extremely frustrating, especially considering the barrage of extensive material that fans of other bands are given.....

But I will also say this, would you rather have the alternative, with fucking Hagar back up there, singing "dig it ya'll, come on, love, love, love, tequila, love, love, love" ???

It sucks, but it's far better than the alternative.....

Keep the damn thing lit.....

15. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-20-2015),DLR Bridge (03-19-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    But I will also say this, would you rather have the alternative, with fucking Hagar back up there, singing "dig it ya'll, come on, love, love, love, tequila, love, love, love" ???
    Sammy has better hair. You can't deny that.

17. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (03-19-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Sammy has better hair. You can't deny that.

And no dance floor.

19. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (03-19-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

what torch?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    And no dance floor.
    And performs RWTD about 50 times a year...wonder how much he has to pay them for that?

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    They 100% should have packaged this live album, with an old show. Then, they top it off by releasing what was probably one of Dave's worst performances.

I'm not buying it. Literally and figuratively.
    You think Tokyo was one of Dave's worst performances? I disagree. It wasn't stellar by any means but I think they did better shows in Japan. This was discussed in another thread that Dave knew they were recording for a live release and actually worked hard at singing and avoided the straining.

And I don't think that packaging an old show alongside the new show would be a good idea. Would you want to put the gold standard up against what they're doing today? It would only emphasize how far they've fallen.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Japanese shows sucked. Couple of good spots though. But that's a lotta you tubes to get through to the good.

But hopefully dave has been working and will be in top shape on the 31st.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Wasn't the thing lit because Dave came back into the fold? Last I checked....

25. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-20-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

si

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Wasn't the thing lit because Dave came back into the fold? Last I checked....
    I thought it was because the Army T Shirts were on sale!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

you should see the shirts behind this skin...

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We had many heated disturbing fucking scrapping in tha alley behind the bar discussion threads around here for quite some time over the torch and what it stood for.

We all decided or someone decided that it was a DLR site and it should be lit.

Perhaps, if MA rejoins we could make the torch interactive change it up somewhat, or find room on the Forum Title Page for a torch gif or change the color to some "special hue" that makes everyone happy.

30. Thanked clarathecarrot for this KICKASS post:

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Snuff the torch..........I'm pretty sure my views on the "Live" album are well established by now!

Hell, I'm not even going to bootleg the fuck out of it because it's not even worth the effort to get it and give it away for free.

Cato's boots of the Tokyo shows are way better than the two "official" songs I've heard from this blatant ill-conceived cash grab.

I'll probably go and see them live one last time to pay my respects.......much like you'd go to a high school teacher's funeral that was cool to you in school and gave you a few breaks when you needed them. More as a final goodbye than being excited to see the new tunes live on the latest tour(which, duh.....we get none).

Band's toast, the Fagar Sheep will have a field day bashing this piss poor bullshit live album and you know........I can't disagree with them, this time.

After years of owning Fagar Sheep, I'd be just like them if I defended this utter crap that they plan on releasing!

So you'll get a final few hundred bucks from me, guys.......hope you budget your money well because this will be the last money you'll get from me and I'm not even a 100% sure I'll go see them this time! If Dave's singing like the last tour, I'm not wasting money on this bullshit!

32. 2 users say thank you to kwame k for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (03-19-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (03-19-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarathecarrot View Post
    We had many heated disturbing fucking scrapping in tha alley behind the bar discussion threads around here for quite some time over the torch and what it stood for.

We all decided or someone decided that it was a DLR site and it should be lit.

Perhaps, if MA rejoins we could make the torch interactive change it up somewhat, or find room on the Forum Title Page for a torch gif or change the color to some "special hue" that makes everyone happy.
    Maybe we can just change it to a flaming carrot.

34. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-20-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Snuff the torch..........I'm pretty sure my views on the "Live" album are well established by now!

Hell, I'm not even going to bootleg the fuck out of it because it's not even worth the effort to get it and give it away for free.

Cato's boots of the Tokyo shows are way better than the two "official" songs I've heard from this blatant ill-conceived cash grab.

I'll probably go and see them live one last time to pay my respects.......much like you'd go to a high school teacher's funeral that was cool to you in school and gave you a few breaks when you needed them. More as a final goodbye than being excited to see the new tunes live on the latest tour(which, duh.....we get none).

Band's toast, the Fagar Sheep will have a field day bashing this piss poor bullshit live album and you know........I can't disagree with them, this time.

After years of owning Fagar Sheep, I'd be just like them if I defended this utter crap that they plan on releasing!

So you'll get a final few hundred bucks from me, guys.......hope you budget your money well because this will be the last money you'll get from me and I'm not even a 100% sure I'll go see them this time! If Dave's singing like the last tour, I'm not wasting money on this bullshit!
    Uh, didn't you see Jeff's review from the VHND? He says it's great. He claims it's much different listening to the whole album, as opposed to just clips.

36. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-19-2015)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Uh, didn't you see Jeff's review from the VHND? He says it's great. He claims it's much different listening to the whole album, as opposed to just clips.
    As I stated.....Cato's boots are better!

And yes, I get the sarcasm in your post

If Dave is actually singing somewhere near the key the songs were originally recorded in, I might go so............maybe we'll hook up for a brew or two before the Detroit shows, bro!

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe we can just change it to a flaming carrot.
    Yeah!! like when my drinking buddy would go out to the parking lot and put rainbow bumper stickers on all our other buddies cars. And they would report back to us the next day about their bewilderment of being paid -extra attention to- by other drivers all the way home and some for days till they saw the back of their cars again.

I do think -special hue - are the last two words, that have never been grouped together until now, in the whole history of the 7 internets.

I am all for the specializing of the hue.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

As I stated.....Cato's boots are better!

And yes, I get the sarcasm in your post

If Dave is actually singing somewhere near the key the songs were originally recorded in, I might go so............maybe we'll hook up for a brew or two before the Detroit shows, bro!
    Sounds like a plan. As much shit as I talk, I will probably go to one show. If Dave is on his game, I'll go to more. If he sounds like Panama from this album, no way in hell I'm going to more than one.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds like a plan. As much shit as I talk, I will probably go to one show. If Dave is on his game, I'll go to more. If he sounds like Panama from this album, no way in hell I'm going to more than one.
    That is 100% what I'm going to do........if the youtube clips are showing Dave singing like in 2012, one show maybe but no more!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe we can do a Roth Army group hug in DTown. Of course, NickD won't come because he's scared of the blacks. Maybe that fucking Flamma Canadian will come! Those other flaming Canucks too!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe we can do a Roth Army group hug in DTown. Of course, NickD won't come because he's scared of the blacks. Maybe that fucking Flamma Canadian will come! Those other flaming Canucks too!
    The "meetup" is far more interesting than the actual show........as it stands right now!
    Last edited by kwame k; 03-19-2015 at 10:03 PM.

43. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-19-2015)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Probably get Matt White and Dale to come along, too!

45. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

TFM_Dale (03-20-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

what show are you goin' tout?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Probably get Matt White and Dale to come along, too!
    VH Drummer (I met him at a show before) and IrishSpunk too!

48. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-19-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    what show are you goin' tout?
    We are ignoring you because we don't know what the fuck "tout" means.

50. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

it was Kwame and sparkie's idea, and dale's fault!

52. 2 users say thank you to PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-19-2015),TFM_Dale (03-20-2015)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    it was Kwame and sparkie's idea, and dale's fault!
    It's funny as fuck, if you were/are in on the joke, tout

54. 2 users say thank you to kwame k for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (03-19-2015),TFM_Dale (03-20-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hmmmm....I think from the feedback I have seen so far from everyone, the criteria for keeping the torch lit would be as follows:

1) Band is renamed Mad Anthony Band.
    2) Edward goes back to vintage Marshall and Kramer guitars for the true brown sound...trashes his current wicked EVH brand
    3) Band re-records ADKOT with Anthony so we have the true VH sound complete with ball busting background vocals
    4) Band tattoos Mikes likeness to at least one appendage visible onstage and another more private area
    5) Dave grows hair to proper 80's length
    6) Ed grows back tongue and reverses throat cancer so when he talks he doesn't sound so "Old"

56. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-19-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Hmmmm....I think from the feedback I have seen so far from everyone, the criteria for keeping the torch lit would be as follows:

2) Edward goes back to vintage Marshall and Kramer guitars for the true brown sound...trashes his current wicked EVH brand
    3) Band re-records ADKOT with Anthony so we have the true VH sound complete with ball busting background vocals
    4) Band tattoos Mikes likeness to at least one appendage visible onstage and another more private area
    6) Ed grows back tongue and reverses throat cancer so when he talks he doesn't sound so "Old"

You forgot "Dave takes fountain of youth pills so that he can do spilts off the drum riser again"....

Silly....

58. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (03-19-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post

7) the hot tub time machine takes kristy to 1985

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What about Ed's hip? He needs to be able to do the scissor kicks too!

Thread Information