Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official July 22 Kansas City, MO, Cricket Wireless Amphitheater Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the vids TFAM! Seems like it was a great show!

I'm gettin ANTSY for SUNDAY-SUNDAY-SUNDAY!!!!
    You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

I was 8th row in front of Ed. It wasn't the sweet spot for the sound. The vocal did not come through especially well. Maybe that made it better.

All I know is that in 2007 I saw VH with a Dave that sang pretty well, but hardly said a word to the audience. Not even a story before Ice Cream Man. And, Edward's playing was mediocre.

This time I saw a worse for wear singing Dave that told a story, anecdote, or joke between and during songs. The band was tight, and everyone looked like they were glad to be there.

I'll take the 2015 show all day long. These reviewers that want Dave to shut up and sing certainly don't go to see VH for the same reasons I do. I go for the banter. I go for the playing. I go for the parts that are unexpected. If I wanted perfect music and no banter, I have cd's for that.

While today's Dave, and especially 2012-2013, wouldn't make a great live album. It makes for one hell of a show. I was grinning bigger than..well..David Lee Roth. I don't know how it was from the lawn. I don't know how it was from the mixing booth. But, from down front it was the show of shows. I could not be much happier. I certainly would not have enjoyed Dave standing in one place, singing the songs, and not speaking except to introduce songs and the band. That's not VH. What I saw last night. That was VH. They're back, baby, and Roth, weak voice and all, plays a very large part in making it happen.

Comment

Has Dave had Jack Daniels on stage before? I don't recall hearing about him doing that since the reunion? He was having some drinks from the bottle during ICM intro.

Comment

Intesting point about the lack of banter in '07/'08 vs the plenty of banter now. I too enjoy that stuff, but in its right place. Over the exit solo to DDL is not the right place, but the intro and middle of EWS is.

That's right Pete's Brother. I'm telling Dave when he can talk!
          Last edited by DLR Bridge; 07-24-2015, 06:18 AM.

Comment

I'm still surprised they put out a live cd instead of a blu ray, Dave's performance is just as much visual as it is oral. I'd like to think Tokyo dome wouldn't be as bad if u could see them playing.
            Bottom line is that this tour looks awesome and I can't wait for DC show.
            We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

Please tell me that the person who wrote that review (he's obviously Sammy Hagar himself) is making stuff up when he says people chant for Sammy. That cannot be true. Dude get a life and go watch the waboringitas if you don't prefer this current lineup. When Dave wasn't in the band I went to his solo shows it never even crossed my mind to go see a Hagar show.
              We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

Van Halen is currently doing shows in the heartland of the fat shadow, the domain of Sammy Hagar fans where he has infested the masses with dreams and love... I would not be shocked if some local hack does not give it a horrible review in St. Louis where Hagar basically seems to have a second house on stage lol
                I got lost in the...

Comment

Originally posted by Polk High View Post
                  Please tell me that the person who wrote that review (he's obviously Sammy Hagar himself) is making stuff up when he says people chant for Sammy. That cannot be true. Dude get a life and go watch the waboringitas if you don't prefer this current lineup. When Dave wasn't in the band I went to his solo shows it never even crossed my mind to go see a Hagar show.

I've never had any problems with an objective yet negative review....

But when you mention Hagar not once but twice, not to mention terms like "shameless ham", this dude came to the show with an agenda....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute View Post
                    He says it was great and thanked me for taking him, but he just stood there stiff during the show. I nudged him and got him to pump his fist a couple of times during the Hey Hey Hey part of ATBL. So, I just have to take his word for it that he did have a good time.
                    Well I am sure he at least had a great time hanging with his dad.

Comment

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Wait. Is this true? That wasn't 1979 Dave? Apparently, some people actually knew it was not 1979. How did they find this out before the show?

Comment

This is more like what I saw.

I'll have to post the link, I can't imbed it or even copy/paste the text.

“That mistake was brought to you by Budweiser.” Were Dave’s words after working through ‘In a Simple Rhyme,’ off their 1980 album, “Women and Children First.” It’s true that David Lee Roth can’t sing like he did when he was in his 30’s, but when the sound mix drowns out his vocals, it’s somewhat understandable, …
                          Last edited by TwoFoolsAMinute; 07-25-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

A-HA! I just caught my son and his little brother up late listening to Light Up The Sky in his room.

Comment

Another great article from Doug Fox...

Comment

Not a peep from Clara the carrot since the night of the show. Is he dead?

Comment

Working...
                                X