Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official August 3 Cleveland, OH, Blossom Music Center Meetup/Review Thread

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

So I caught a Van Halen pick. Currently losing my mind #holyshit #goingcrazy pic.twitter.com/I0R1f7t5q5— John Haumesser (@JHaumesser) August 4, 2015
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen absolutely killed it tonight in NE Ohio... Great performance!!!!!— Drew44 (@Drew4447) August 4, 2015

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I'm one of the youngest people here at the Van Halen concert — Nick Valentine (@_Nick_Valentine) August 4, 2015
    I saw a couple kids that were probably 7 or 8.

Best part of Van Halen so far is the 1986 prom queens here that are just as hot as they were 30 years ago! #stillgotit #vanhalen— Ryan Eckel (@eckelr) August 4, 2015
    Saw a few of those, and a few that weren't. I will say that I saw a lot of people that made me feel thin tonight.

Tweet of the Night, so far....

I can tell I'm getting old. At a Van Halen concert and there are more arthritic joints than marijuana ones.— Keith E. Young, Esq. (@keitheyoung) August 4, 2015
    Smelled more weed at the Stones show than at tonight's show.

Eddie Van Halen dressed like the coolest looking soccer dad ever. Man, can he still rip it. #VanHalen A photo posted by Gabe Spiegel (@gabe_spiegel) on Aug 3, 2015 at 6:12pm PDT
    Gabe Spiegel is an anchor for the local FOX station. I won't be here tomorrow to see if he mentions the show during the 4 pm newscast. They did run VH commercials during the 5 and 6 am shows this last week.

@LeslieFeffer @GregRenoff look at all the people here tonight ! #VH #CLEVELAND pic.twitter.com/Ij0JT48C2t— Tim Rinehart (@godfathertr1) August 4, 2015
    There's something about being deep in the pavilion and looking out into the lawn and seeing nothing but heads and waving arms all the way to the top of the hill. And I think I'm in this pic.

Van Halen sounded as good as ever! Just wish Dave didn't act so careless about singing— Brennan Earl (@B_Eazy18) August 4, 2015
    Dave did speak a lot of the lyrics instead of singing them. Sound wasn't the greatest at our original seat location but we moved the the front of the next section to our left and it was much better. Two rows off the aisle, too. Shoulda took my GoPro.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Judging from the comments in this thread and the chatter around us, the pavilion was heavily papered.

After Kenny Wayne Sheppard's (excellent!*) set we moved from our original seats (Ed's side, halfway back in the last section) to one section left, second row. Right off the aisle that runs parallel to the stage and more toward the center of the pavilion. Sound seemed a little better there, but at times it was hard to hear Dave. View was MUCH better! No one came to claim those seats and we still had four to our right, on the aisle.

I had given my lawn tickets to a friend's kid, and he brought a friend. They were working the security guys, asking if they'd be able to get in the pavilion. About three songs in they were let in to the back section, just barely under the roof of the pavilion, which is kind of a bleacher and accessible section. I went back to see where they were and said "when that usher moves, come on down." The usher left before I did, so the three of us went back down by Grimes and VH2001 and the upgrade was complete.

Same setlist. The band is playing great! Dave and Ed doing the arm in arm spin right at the beginning. Ed playing (maybe during Little Guitars?) while he's standing in front of Dave, with the top of his head on Dave's shoulder. Dave sitting in his chair during ICM while Ed does his old kneel down, other leg splayed out pose during the solo while Dave mimics shining a spotlight on Ed. So yeah, Dave doesn't want to be Ed's friend, but if they're truly not getting along they're doing a good job of covering it up. Even caught Ed on the "dance floor" once or twice.

Drum solo...not much different. Crowd seemed to enjoy the deep cuts, with a decent cheer for each a few notes in. Some enthusiasm for the ADKOT tracks. I think more people took a beer break during I'll Wait.

Dave seems to be talking a lot this tour. ICM's story was how they played Ohio opening for Journey, and then later about touring with Sabbath and the tour bus situation. And as I said, talking some lyrics instead of singing. We were all singing anyways, but still. What we could hear seemed like it was in range without the cringeworthy higher register stuff. But at least he's talking instead of doing what Vince Neil does, which is just pointing the mic lazily at the crowd. Maybe Dave's just bored.

We left after Ed's solo. Blossom is a bitch to get out of. Fucking ten minute walk back to the car, I thought i was in Toronto for a minute there (my typical "we seem to do an awful lot of walking when I'm in Canada" joke). They were midway through Jump as we rolled out, and earlier we were all saying that we really didn't care if we heard that one again. My friend's kid stayed to the end and by the time he got to the freeway he was 40 minutes behind us. We made a good call.

Probably a better show than Buffalo '12, not as good as Montreal (even with a weak EVH) '07, which will probably be my favorite/benchmark of the '07 and up shows. Unless they surprise me Wednesday in London...

* KWS "excellent" compared to the Marley kid and Kool and the Gang. KWS rolled out Deja Voodoo, Blue on Black, a cover of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, and closed with Voodoo Child. Great backing band. Will watch again Wednesday night.

5. 7 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (08-04-2015),DavidLeeNatra (08-04-2015),DLR Bridge (08-04-2015),katina (08-04-2015),Seshmeister (08-04-2015),vandeleur (08-04-2015),Von Halen (08-04-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Review from the show....

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...len_shine.html

Eddie and Alex Van Halen shine; David Lee Roth . . . doesn't (photos, concert review)

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
    on August 04, 2015 at 1:14 AM, updated August 04, 2015 at 7:04 AM

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio – Might as well jump . . . the shark.

The crowd of less than 10,000 at Blossom Music Center Monday night for Van Halen was pretty much equally divided between those who wanted to relive a bit of their lost youth and those who wanted to see just how much of a train wreck David Lee Roth's vocals would be.

Both contingents probably left the picturesque amphitheater content.

Van Halen – guitarist Eddie, his brother, Alex, on drums and his son, Wolfgang, on bass, and of course, Roth – rolled through 26 songs in a set that lasted more than two hours.

For the party of the first part – us geezers trying to see how much we could remember – the music was pretty much right there. Oh, there was some justifiable grumbling over Wolfie's bass vs. ousted bassist Michael Anthony, but overall, the kid is pretty good. He was off a millishake on his timing with Uncle Alex, but the thing to remember is A) he's only 24 and B) he does have those Van Halen genes.

There is no denying that Eddie is one of the premier rock guitarists. He's able to take his "Frankenstrat'' and turn out all kinds of sounds, and every one of them more impressive than the last. Plus – and this is the part that surprised me most – he looked like he was having fun, even enjoying Roth's inane mugging.

More on that last part in a bit.

And to prove that it was the '70s and '80s all over again, Van Halen's show featured a 10-minute drum solo (played to recorded tracks, which was pretty impressive, to be honest) and a 15-minute guitar solo.

When I was a kid, "borrowing'' the Old Man's car to go to a concert, that stuff impressed the daylights out of me. Old Man myself now, they usually just come off as posing. "Oh, look at me! I'm a great guitarist. I'm a great drummer.'' Shut up and pass the Metamucil.

But I can't say that about those two solos. Alex's kit, with its quadruple kick drums of various sizes, cracking snare and toms and timbales was a picture of rhythmic cacophony. And Eddie's solo – the "real'' one and those during tunes like "Runnin' With the Devil,'' "Little Guitars,'' "Dance the Night Away'' and a nice little pairing with his son on "Dirty Movies – were lessons in virtuosity.

The problem – as you hoped it wouldn't be, but almost knew it would – was Roth. My notes on "Women in Love'' say simply: "Pick a key. Any key.'' On "Dance the Night Away,'' the word "Gack!" is underlined three times. On "Hot for Teacher,'' the notes read, "It'd be nice to hear the vocals.''

Of course, given the times that we could hear them, maybe that particular note isn't so accurate.

At one time, David Lee Roth was the end-all, be-all of rock 'n' roll frontmen. He had the look, the moves, the charisma and most of all, the voice. To give the devil his due, at 60, he's still got the flat belly of a 20-year-old, and he moves pretty well. But the prancing and the mugging have gotten old, like a toothy Benny Hill.

Plus, I want to hear the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voice that was there on "Panama'' and "Jump'' and "I'll Wait.'' Sadly, it's not there. Pitchy even when you could hear him – it may be that the kindest thing the sound people did was amp up the music and drown him out – he spent half his time speaking lyrics, not singing them.

Look, we all get older, and sometimes, you have to know when to hang up the cleats. Or the blue lame jacket.

The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band set the bar pretty high with their short opening set . . . which perhaps not so coincidentally featured the former blues prodigy on a 15-minute guitar solo. I would have cheerfully paid $2 to hear him go ax to ax with Eddie.

Not so pleasant – for Roth -- would have been Shepherd's gifted longtime vocalist, Noah Hunt, matched up against DLR. Unless the Discovery Channel has a cage left over from Shark Week.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Pitching the bar for daves vocals on 1984 material sums up the review.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

See if you can tell which comment is mine on the Plain Dealer review.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

She´s The Woman

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,431 Posts

"The crowd of less than 10,000..."

So the glass is half empty, huh? Writer proved he's an ass by the halfway point of sentence number 1.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Drop Dead Legs

12. Thanked katina for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (08-06-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's basing his comment on the statistics of the actual number of tickets sold, not bodies in the venue.

I wasn't there. That venue has a capacity of 19,000. Twona, was it half full?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looked pretty full to me. Maybe 10% empty? He's gotta be basing that on a paid admission number.

Yarborough is typically a decent writer. The other guy, Troy Smith, is a hack.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Review from the show....

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...len_shine.html

Eddie and Alex Van Halen shine; David Lee Roth . . . doesn't (photos, concert review)

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
    on August 04, 2015 at 1:14 AM, updated August 04, 2015 at 7:04 AM

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio – Might as well jump . . . the shark.

The crowd of less than 10,000 at Blossom Music Center Monday night for Van Halen was pretty much equally divided between those who wanted to relive a bit of their lost youth and those who wanted to see just how much of a train wreck David Lee Roth's vocals would be.

At one time, David Lee Roth was the end-all, be-all of rock 'n' roll frontmen. He had the look, the moves, the charisma and most of all, the voice.

Plus, I want to hear the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voice that was there on "Panama'' and "Jump'' and "I'll Wait.''
    Dave being Dave, there's legit things to get on him about, so I don't know why the guy has to make shit up to prove some point. I seriously doubt half the people were there to see how much of a "train wreck" Dave's vocals would be. And the reviewer would know this how? Dave's been harped on for his vocals since he's been in VH, so I don't get why this guy is portraying him as some sort of great vocalist back in the day. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voice? I guess that's technically correct as DLR is in the Hall and does have a voice, but I wouldn't say that's what got him there.

16. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-04-2015)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

So the glass is half empty, huh? Writer proved he's an ass by the halfway point of sentence number 1.
    The review didn't exactly improve from that point either! I've seen that in a couple of the reviews where the reviewer throws out some crowd total, then the pictures from the show and comments from people there don't match that number at all.

18. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-04-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's basing his comment on the statistics of the actual number of tickets sold, not bodies in the venue.

I wasn't there. That venue has a capacity of 19,000.
    I could see a pot shot at the band for having a diminishing base if two thousand or less showed up, but ten thousand people, mostly aging fans with jobs to go to on Tuesday AM, is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I could see a pot shot at the band for having a diminishing base if two thousand or less showed up, but ten thousand people, mostly aging fans with jobs to go to on Tuesday AM, is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.
    I agree. Even if there were 10k or 12k actually sold, it appears there were more than that there. Just because tickets are given away, doesn't mean people are going to show up. Looks like most showed up.

Hell, I can't wait for the day this band is playing 2000 or less, capacity venues!

21. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-04-2015),DLR Bridge (08-04-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen, David Lee Roth still running with the devil at Ohio concert

http://www.examiner.com/review/van-h...t-ohio-concert

There’s been a lot of speculation over David Lee Roth’s ability to hold his own onstage with the refurbished Van Halen.
    Time hasn’t been kind to Roth’s pipes since the late ‘80s, when he infamously left Van Halen to forge a modestly successful solo career (“Just a Gigolo,” “California Girls,” “Yankee Rose”). In the late ‘90s the hirsute alpha male front man disappeared from radar to work as a paramedic, take flying lessons, and parlay his trademark jive talk into a gig as a disc jockey in New York.

Meanwhile, brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen forged on with Sammy Hagar (“I Can’t Drive 55”) on vocals. The “Van Hagar” incarnation of the band cut a string of albums (5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) that sold just as well as the ones with Roth (with singles “Why Can’t This Be Love,” “Finish What Ya Started,” and “Poundcake”—and which kept the Van Halen name at the top of the charts.

Despite the continued success, Van Halen Mach II polarized its core followers with too-pretty power ballads (“When It’s Love”) and optimistic worldview (“Right Now”): We loved both, but many preferred Roth’s swaggering, unapologetic braggadocio over Hagar’s beachgoer bonhomie.

The group’s strangest iteration yet came in 1997, when ex-Extreme singer Gary Cherone signed on for Van Halen III. The “More Than Words” crooner sounded terrific when VH played Gund Arena in ’98, but the chemistry wasn’t right for a prolonged partnership.

Estranged from Van Halen for one reason or another (depending on whose stories you believed), Roth and Hagar improbably joined forces for a co-headlining tour in 2002, whereon each revisited his respective VH hits.

Hagar’s last disc with the band was twenty years ago, 1995’s Balance (he recorded a couple new tracks for a VH best-of compilation and reunion tour in 2004). The “Red Rocker” now sings in the super-groups Chickenfoot and The Circle—both featuring former VH bassist Michael Anthony—and looks after his Cabo Wabo resort in San Lucas.

Only Hagar and Anthony—Van Halen’s inactive alumni—showed up when the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

That’s pretty much how the 2000s played out for Van Halen aficionados: Daily doses of disappointment, opportunities lost, and woulda-been, shoulda-been debates in chat forums.

But Roth emerged from hiding in 2007 for his first tour with the Van Halen brothers in over twenty years. That outing was the band’s highest-grossing ever, but it wasn’t until 2012 that “Diamond Dave” would lend his distinctive pipes to a new Van Halen album. Even then, the bulk of A Different Kind of Truth drew from decades-old guitar riffs from Eddie’s vault.

Still, the band sounded amazing, even with Roth’s diminished range. Eddie was playing guitar the way he used to, like an electrified Paganini possessed. Alex was a reborn thunder god on drums, and young recruit Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie’s son with Valerie Bertinelli) capably filled the bass parts and background vocals in Michael Anthony’s stead.

Fan fears were further eased yesterday when Van Halen returned to Ohio’s Blossom Music Center in support of their recent Live From Tokyo Dome (a 2-CD concert set recorded in June 2013). The verdict’s out on whether Roth diehards give the singer’s Tokyo Dome performance a pass, but Dave acquitted himself marvelously at Monday’s show (thank you very much), shucking his way through the old-school anthems that made him the quintessential ‘80s hair band poster boy.

Given that the Pasadena rebels are only playing Roth-era tunes on tour (unlike when Hagar covered the Roth classics during his tenure), the majority of the material on offer in Cuyahoga Falls harkened to Van Halen’s heyday (circa 1978-1984), well before “Wolfie” was even born. In fact, the band delivered most of 1979’s Van Halen II and half of 1984 alongside choice cuts from Women and Children First and Fair Warning.

And we loved it.

So if you’ve always aligned yourself with the Roth camp (or you perennially prefer the Ted Templeman-produced platters to VH’s canon du Hagar), Blossom was the place to be.

We’d say it wasn’t your father’s Van Halen, but these days, the fathers we’d be referring to are you and me. Because we’ve all got our own kids now—just like certain guitar gods we worshipped growing up.

So when Eddie brought his drum deity brother and bass-thumping son back to Blossom last night, it may have sounded like the past—but it felt like we were looking at the future.

Van Halen’s and…ours.

To quote Roger Daltry, the kids are alright: Wolfie’s the real deal. And with the injection of fresh blood, there just might always be a Van Halen.

But Monday’s set was a nostalgic, No Bozos affair that—for us and the several thousand in attendance—punched all the right emotional buttons.

True believers couldn’t have wanted for a more incendiary icebreaker than “Light Up the Sky,” whose ascending guitar riff and propulsive rhythm provided a sturdy springboard for Roth’s smarmy shtick. “Running With the Devil” and “Romeo Delight” (with its urgent Baby, please—I can’t take it anymore! chorus) sunk fans even deeper into VH’s spandex oeuvre.

The quartet was equal parts jungle jukebox and street urchin stereo, with Alex employing a tribal drumbeat on “Everybody Wants Some!!” and Eddie grinding out crunchy chords on strip club canto “Drop Dead Legs.”

Manhandling basses with blue, grey, and bumblebee striped motifs (like Eddie’s “Frankenstrat” guitars), 24-year Wolfgang was all business, imbuing “Feel Your Love Tonight” and “Somebody Get Me a Doctor” with the upper-register vocals harmonies once rendered by the Jack Daniels-chugging Anthony. “She’s the Woman” kicked off with Wolfie’s warbling bass lick, and was a welcome entry from his maiden voyage in dad’s band (A Different Kind of Truth). “China Town” saw father and son working side-by-side to pull off some acrobatic fret work.

“I don’t even know what song is next,” admitted Roth, caught up in the good time.

“I practice selective denial, like in my last three relationships!”

Roth’s curtailed the karate-kicks and high altitude leaping, but he’s still a charismatic, hyperkinetic entertainer whose limbs were in constant motion (like frayed power lines). Wearing black pants and matching vest (concealing prodigious pectoral tattoos) instead of the biker uni-tards of yore, Roth’s more vaudevillian minstrel now than Valhallan uber-male, slipping and sliding across a waxed floor beneath Alex’s drum riser.

That’s okay by us. It’s unreasonable to expect backflips and scissor kicks from any 60-year old, and those who suggest Roth should “act his age” should realize by now that he already is.

What’s more, we’ve witnessed Roth’s gradual transformation in person, having attended all his solo shows in our neck of the woods since 1988’s Skyscraper (whose roadshow brought Dave to Blossom with guitarist Steve Vai…and a regulation-sized boxing ring). So it’s not as if his dimpled-grinned snake oil salesman / carnival barker is any kind of revelation; Roth’s incorporated Las Vegas vamping and Tin Pan Alley aesthetics into his repertoire since the ‘90s. He may not be the athlete he was at 25 (or even 35) but he’s every bit the showman.

Case in point: Roth’s solo spot late on saw him sitting center-stage for a palaver during which he reminisced and idly strummed an acoustic guitar (between harmonica blasts). He recalled opening for Journey and Black Sabbath in the ‘70s, and how the guys contorted themselves when sleeping on the tour bus.

“We’d open for any band crazy enough to have us…and we’d usually get fired three weeks in!”

Dave said his current tour bus resembles Dolly Parton’s bathroom.

It didn’t take long to see where he was going with al this banter (and blues finger-picking): His unplugged take on John Brim’s “Ice Cream Man” coalesced into the anvil-heavy version heard on Van Halen’s Warner Bros. debut, and yes, Eddie nailed the overdriven, tap-laden guitar solo.

“This is how I did it then, and this is how I do it now,” Roth mused.

“Somewhere along the way, I got to be part of the best rock band this world has ever known!”

Roth also swapped jackets every two or three songs, ducking behind Wolfie’s wall of amps for new pinstriped coats (with rainbow liners) or scarves to swirl and swat, like a feline. Sometimes he’d change costumes in eyeshot, giving spectators a full view of his heavily-inked abs, arms, and shoulder blades.

Other highlights were Diver Down back-track “Little Guitars,” 1984’s bawdy “Hot for Teacher,” and a Van Halen II medley wherein Eddie and the gang barreled through “Dance the Night Away,” “Beautiful Girls,” and “Women in Love.” Women and Children First favorite “In a Simple Rhyme” meshed well with salacious Fair Warning song “Dirty Movies” (and came with the record’s hidden addendum jam, “Growth”). “Unchained” (another ’81 rocker) and “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” found the guys rounding third and heading for home.

But not without pausing for what was—in the eyes of many VH ticket-holders—the piece de resistance: Eddie’s guitar solo.

The six-string showcase was not unlike that heard on either of the band’s two live albums (and countless bootlegs) in that it was an amalgam of the best bits from all Eddie’s famous stand-alone solos. There was the flamenco buzz of the “Little Guitars” intro and the mariachi runs of “Spanish Fly.” There was the percussive fretboard slapping of “Mean Streets” and the volume knob swells of the hymn like “Cathedral.” And stitching all the elements together was Eddie’s signature hammer-on, pull-off bonanza, “Eruption”—which climaxed with a whammy-bar dive-bomb on his custom EVH Wolfgang and a rumble from brother Alex, returning to his drum throne.

Al had a solo, too, and punished his four-kick drum Ludwig kit with primal ferocity. Cueing the crowd to clap along, he played to a brassy sample and some jazzy pastiches. Later, Roth noted the Latino influence on Van Halen’s early music.

“There’s a bit of hot sauce in that one!” he noted on “Dance the Night Away.”

“I own a 1961 Mercury low rider,” the singer elaborated, adjusting his blue hoodie. “That’s my everyday shit.”

“We used to line up our low riders with the doors all open, listening to the same radio station. That’s how you did it.”

Ed’s solo bled into the band’s turbocharged take on Kinks hit “You Really Got Me” (just like on record), the Roth set his sights on “Panama.” Encore “Jump” had piped-in keyboards (as did the earlier “I’ll Wait”), but the MTV hit was so festive—and the band so tight—that no one minded.

Just so long as Eddie kept workin’ that guitar.

23. 5 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (08-04-2015),DLR Bridge (08-04-2015),DLR'sCock (08-06-2015),vandeleur (08-04-2015),Von Halen (08-04-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In A Simple Rhyme

25. 2 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (08-06-2015),So this is love (08-04-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now that's a review by a guy that actually knows a little about Van Halen. Except I believe Dave's Merc is a '41, not a '61.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice review. Here's the best part, ED....

"It’s unreasonable to expect backflips and scissor kicks from any 60-year old, and those who suggest Roth should “act his age” should realize by now that he already is."

28. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-04-2015),DavidLeeNatra (08-04-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dirty Movies

30. Thanked katina for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (08-04-2015)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    Dirty Movies

Wolfs too good to be in Van Halen. Great song!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Wolfs too good to be in Van Halen. Great song!
    two months and tremonti shows may be funner

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And another review...

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-...lossom-concert

Van Halen Delivers Deep Tracks and Hits at Blossom Concert
    Concert Review
    Posted By Matt Wardlaw on Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:21 am

It had been too long since concert fans had spent a hot summer night with Van Halen under the stars at Blossom Music Center. Actually, it had been 20 years — going all the way back to the Balance tour in July of 1995, during the controversial “Van Hagar” era. (This writer enjoys both of the main eras of the group and even the Cherone period — but that’s a rarity, as you’ll find, if you ask somebody which one they prefer.) You can see a slideshow of photos from the show here.

No matter who is at the helm (and that’s been “Diamond” David Lee Roth back on the job since 2007), a Van Halen concert always feels a bit like a family reunion of sorts and as you look around the crowd, you’ll see VH concert shirts from many different eras and at scattered points, at least a few VH-related political statements — such as the “F Sammy” T-shirt that we spotted early in the night.

Last night's Blossom date was an overdue raincheck for a planned Cleveland show that was part of a series of tour dates that got scrubbed at the last minute in 2012 (a Quicken Loans Arena show scheduled for July 28 of that year got pulled barely a month before it happened, along with 31 other shows on the planned third U.S. leg of their tour at that time). So it’s appropriate that when they did finally make their awaited area appearance, it was a bit of a sneak attack.

The levels of the pre-show music didn’t even spike as drummer Alex Van Halen made his first appearance behind the kit, holding his sticks high in the air in a victorious pose and acknowledging the crowd. The familiar tone of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar floated across the stage next and the rest of the band strolled onto the stage and kicked things into a heavy gear for their 23 song set, opening with a deep cut, “Light Up The Sky,” from 1979’s Van Halen II. Fans were excited and understandably so — the song hasn’t been played live in 35 years prior to this current run of shows, since the band last played it on tour supporting the album in 1980.

Prior to starting the song, Eddie Van Halen and Roth linked arms and did a quick carousel spin, a subtle move that if nothing else, put to rest the ongoing rumors of tension between the pair. And in fact, throughout the night, there would be plenty of nods, smiles and eye contact shared by the two. They kept it about the music — and there would be plenty of highlights in that department to enjoy. It was only the second song when bassist Wolfgang Van Halen stood front and center on his uncle’s drum riser to thump out the familiar bass lines of “Runnin’ With The Devil,” from the band’s now-classic 1978 debut.

Credit Wolfgang —- who didn’t even make his entrance on the planet until 1991 — for the dead on the money setlist that was a perfect transport back, covering all of Van Halen’s best days with Roth. It is Wolfgang who has been in charge of putting the setlist together in recent years and for the current tour, he has surrounded the expected classics with a healthy helping of rarities, including a pair of songs that had never been played live prior to this current run.

How is it, for example, that the band never played “Drop Dead Legs” on the tour to support 1984? No matter — it made for a heavy slab of paradise, hearing the assembled Van Halen family — Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang — putting down a thick and funky groove on the album favorite. And “Dirty Movies” gave Roth a chance to riff on the title and wonder, “Does anybody actually go to the movies? Or do they just go to the internet? They just use their cellphones,” and as he quipped, “I just use my wrist watch.” A Van Halen concert of course is a chance to collect plenty of those memorable lines from Diamond Dave.

Early in the night, wearing a sparkly black jacket, Roth told a lengthy story where at one point, he shared with the audience, “I already knew at that young age that I was not like the other kids in Sunday school.” (At this point, we figured that out quite a while ago now.) It seems that according to Roth, at some point, his parents had threatened to sell him back to the Indians. At that young age, if you can believe it, it seems that Roth was being difficult. He shared his childhood dreams from those formative years when he was growing up and told the crowd with a grin, “Careful what you tell your kids — that shit is for life.”

Decades later, Roth is still traveling in his own neverland and vocally he sounded on target for the early part of the night, although as the set progressed, he definitely faded a lot and occasionally rearranged a few vocal lines here and there on the fly. Thankfully, that was not the case with Eddie Van Halen — the guitar legend was all smiles throughout the night, exchanging high fives with members of the audience and throwing out plenty of picks while ripping solo after solo, to the point that his actual guitar solo (long a hallowed moment that comes late in the band’s set) almost felt unnecessary. But of course, for the many assembled who might have learned their own guitar skills by studying every recorded note of Eddie’s work, it was a moment that was of course, very necessary.

Solos on “Drop Dead Legs” and the classic “Feel Your Love Tonight,” were just a couple instances that demonstrated that the guitar legend’s skills remain thankfully fully intact. He’s in a good place and it’s clear that he’s having the time of his life, getting the chance to make music with Wolfgang on a Van Halen concert stage. Combine that with the unmistakable sound of Alex Van Halen behind the drum kit and it was a real thrill that never got old, watching the three Van Halens musically lock in time and time again throughout the night.

There’s been a lot that has been written about the vocal struggles of David Lee Roth on this tour (and the television performances that led into it) and many will point out that he was never a great live vocalist to begin with. He has always been a great performer, however, and that’s a quality that has not diminished with time. While he seems to lack the stamina to deliver a consistent vocal performance throughout the entire show at this point (something which was not an issue on the touring in 2007 and 2008 where he arguably delivered some of the finest performances of his career), he continues to entertain on a level that delivers the goods for those in attendance, something that was pretty clear when watching audience members visually act out certain classic Roth lyrical sections, line by line.

A recent comment made to this writer by Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry comes to mind, in which he discussed that it didn’t matter so much whether you played a track and got it perfect — what mattered was that you played the track — and people got the chance to hear it.

And that fits the current situation of Van Halen touring with David Lee Roth — while he might not be delivering performances that are note perfect through 100 percent of the set, there are large numbers of fans who either missed Van Halen in the Roth era or were too young, that are getting the chance to see at least a piece of the magic they missed that they might have otherwise only heard on the albums and the reaction would suggest that they're getting their money's worth. It’s anybody’s guess what the always unpredictable VH machine will do next once this current touring wraps up, but for two hours on this particular night in Ohio, Van Halen did a good job of “lighting up the sky” and sending fans home with some fresh concert memories.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Meanwhile, brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen forged on with Sammy Hagar (“I Can’t Drive 55”) on vocals. The “Van Hagar” incarnation of the band cut a string of albums (5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) that sold just as well as the ones with Roth (with singles “Why Can’t This Be Love,” “Finish What Ya Started,” and “Poundcake”—and which kept the Van Halen name at the top of the charts.

Love that review, but I've got a big problem with this falsehood.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Drop Dead Legs

Fucking Yeah!

36. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (08-04-2015),katina (08-04-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw a pic of the "F Sammy" shirt guy at VHND. Funny stuff.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Now that's a review by a guy that actually knows a little about Van Halen. Except I believe Dave's Merc is a '41, not a '61.
    It's a 51. It was a 4 door hardtop. But I think a chainsaw fixed that. I remember when it was in Hot Rod or Car Craft mag. That might have been before Dave owned it.

39. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (08-04-2015)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree. Even if there were 10k or 12k actually sold, it appears there were more than that there. Just because tickets are given away, doesn't mean people are going to show up. Looks like most showed up.

Hell, I can't wait for the day this band is playing 2000 or less, capacity venues!
    House of Blues, anyone?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pic of Blossom from the Cleveland Orchestra FB page. Blossom was originally built to be the summer home of the Orchestra. It's in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Mot sure this was from Monday though.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

That's a cool looking venue.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unique look from the inside, too. The inside is mostly exposed wood.

Thread Information