Official August 7 Toronto, ON, Molson Canadian Amphitheatre Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Periscope EVH

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Eddie Van Halen is The Man. #AlwaysAndFoevah.— Rhiannon (@RhiannonMaria) August 8, 2015

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Eddie Van Halen doesn't get older he gets better— Edwin Chen (@Chedwin14) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Eddie Van Halen solos live today are my sun ra moments!— Sean Dean (@SeanSadieDean) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Van Halen in concert at the Molson Amphitheatre pic.twitter.com/t2ZBNyvTtq— Veronica Henri (@henri_veronica) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Van Halen in concert at the Molson Amphitheatre pic.twitter.com/VxdRiHthEe— Veronica Henri (@henri_veronica) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Van Halen so good tonight!!— CASSANDRA (@THEcassandra) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Just in case anyone following me cares - Eddie Van Halen is still King and David Lee Roth is still the best front man in rock'n roll— Adam Wylde (@AdamWylde) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Van Halen concert was absolutely amazing.— Jonathan Daines (@Jonathan_Daines) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Van Halen concerts are tight as hell 👊🏻— James. (@Pastrnasty) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Van Halen tonight with the girls 😝🎸🎶 #vanhalen #davidleeroth #summer #concert #toronto #friends #love #music #life A video posted by Karengallagher 💖 (@karenriedelgallagher) on Aug 7, 2015 at 8:11pm PDT

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Eddie Van Halen tended to the sexual needs of an entire amphitheater— cameron bradley (@cambrads23) August 8, 2015

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

No time to say too much except to say that might have been the definitive version of ATBL from this tour. SO good.

It was packed and the crowd was loving it and the band appreciated the atmosphere. Drop Dead Legs was so promising but Dave could have kept in the groove of the song more instead of scatting around improv style it could have been the highlight of the night for me. Was such a treat to hear live though...awesome.

Dave was in good form and he and Ed seemed to genuinely get along. A funny part of the show occurred when Dave couldn't find his mike stand at the beginning of Beautiful Girls...he had the mic but not the stand but decided not to sing until he had both...the band looked around confused.

Dave ended up telling the band he was going to start from the beginning and he actually did really well with it I thought. Dave actually seemed to get stronger as the show went on. Killer show
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nigel
                              Roadie
                              • Mar 2004

Even though all the pictures from the tour look the same, tonight's concert at The Molson Amphitheatre was fucking fantastic.
                              It is SO much better to see them LIVE than watching youtubes. They are a well-oiled machine at this juncture in the tour.

Dave kept his banter short, his vocals were great throughout (except for the asshole on the soundboard) who didn't help make his muffled voice "clear". There wasn't one song "cringe worthy; even DTNA or I'll Wait. . .excellent job Dave!!!!

The band was tight but sounded slightly "phased/distorted" even though I was sitting dead centre and about 20 ft. behind the soundboard. I seriously wanted to go hit the fucker and tweak the controls myself. It could have been 100% when it was about a 93. I'm nitpicking here
                              because the 2 hour show seemed like a 45 minute set; even though it had some peaks and valleys.

For me, the weak part were the 2 ADKOT songs, juxtaposed against the strength of the 6 pack. The setlist order is perfect and keeps your interest throughout. I would exchange my left testicle for a DVD of this tour and Roth was brilliant at keeping things moving along (even though
                              you have to watch closely for any roundhouse kick etc. He knows when to back off and when to push forward in his performance and even my casual VH buddies who went with me thoroughly enjoyed the show.

There was one guy sitting 3 rows up and 10 feet to the right of me who was smoking Bob Marley sized reef, (every other song) and we thought it was actually the band's special effects. Kind of like those fog machines that are used to kill mosquitos at Caribbean resorts.

The only piss off is the fact that its all over way too soon and you wish you could travel with the roadies for a couple more gigs.

God I'm proud of this band and sure hope to hell we get a new album, tour and that they keep going. Alex is a beast at 62 and shows no signs of
                              letting up. His solo was longer than usual and if anything I thought Eddies solo slightly lacked in entertainment value (particularly during Cathedral). Again, nitpicks because its too easy to say it was "awesome". You guys/gals here know what I mean.

Please; for anyone not sure about going, just go you will be so goddamned glad you did.

Over and Out. . . Nigel

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I am going to have to agree on the ADKOT songs, although they could keep China Town as Ed and Wolf make that song pretty damn cool. Actually, I want that one to stay now that I think about it.

The best part of the show was being close enough to see the band looks to be enjoying each other's company.

This venue was a great one, but based on some of the attendance numbers from other venues I have to question the entire outdoor amphitheatre concert agenda. I mean California is beyond sold out...tix going for over $300 in the aftermarket, but what about the lesser markets?

I know Von will say its just like the backyard party days etc, but do you really think our demographic generally wants to go stand in a field for a concert?

Just saying. Especially if we are talking about 150 bucks plus people want to have transit options and no logistical nightmares.

For many of these shows that just isn't the case. I like it, but I think for some cities, the numbers speak for themselves. Those ones would be far better off with traditional arenas.

It was a big party last night and I met some great peeps who thought I had the Roth Army shirt made up for shits and giggles.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...