• Sep 2009

One of the mods needs to embed it ?
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• chuckjitsu
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Momshell
      Hope that worked! The show last night blew my mind. BEST show I've ever seen...VH or other. Dave was ON. He didn't miss a note..didn't miss a lyric (well...almost). He even nailed Chinatown. He had his badass attitude...drinking Jack, struttin around the stage, talking to the ladies..even grabbing someone's camera and taking pix of his..you know! The inflatable guitar moment was awesome! Eddie never ceases to amaze. He was more energetic than I've seen him...running, high-stepping, laughing. During his solo the packed house was almost silent and mesmerized. For the rest of the show, everyone in the place was, like me, screaming every lyric. Same set list..but those deep cuts are insane! DDL, FYLT, LUTS, IASR..every song blew me away. Growth was powerful!! As everyone was walking to our cars, everyone was saying the same thing...they seem to get better with age. Can't wait til Tuesday..7th row in Hartford!!!
      This is what it's all about and what some of these critics just don't get. Fans don't care that Dave isn't perfect! They want to have a good time and watch VH kick ass and that's exactly what they're getting! Glad you enjoyed the show and I hope the next one is just as good.

Comment

• Momshell
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by vandeleur
        One of the mods needs to embed it ?
        Guess I'm rusty...HELP?!
        Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Review: Van Halen rocks on with impeccable musicianship

AUGUST 10, 2015, 12:36 PM LAST UPDATED: MONDAY, AUGUST 10, 2015, 12:46 PM
          BY JAY LUSTIG

Van Halen’s party-animal frontman David Lee Roth got serious, for a second, at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, Sunday night. “One of my heroes died today,” he said, before talking about the late Frank Gifford.

Roth, it seems, played on a Pop Warner League team – his father was one of the coaches — when he was growing up in Bloomington, Indiana, and he idolized football players along with musicians. Both the wholesome Gifford and Jimi Hendrix were on posters in his room, he said Sunday. Roth loved everything Gifford stood for, he added.

Roth is one of the goofiest figures in rock-and-roll: A lascivious, fast-talking, unhinged joker who manages to seem totally in love with himself while never taking himself too seriously. But there must be some discipline in there, somewhere: He’s the fittest-looking 60-year-old you’ll ever see, and for more than two hours on Sunday, he ran and slid around the stage, frequently high-kicking and twirling his mic stand for emphasis.

As a young football player, he said, his enthusiasm was outweighed by his lack of ability. But he still approaches his job, now, like a well-trained athlete.

While his body isn’t showing its age, his voice, unfortunately is. Most Van Halen songs require a roar, and at times, the best he could offer was a weak warble. Often, when guitarist Eddie Van Halen and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie’s son) chimed in on backing vocals, it came as a relief.

But while Roth’s vocals were uneven, at best, the instrumental attack, by Eddie, Wolfgang and drummer Alex Van Halen (Eddie’s brother) was impeccable.

No superlatives are superlative enough to do Eddie justice. In the ’70s and the ’80s, he did things with his guitar that no one else had ever imagined being possible; he’s 60 now, just like Roth, and is playing as well as he ever has, his hands a blur as they churn out powerful riffs or race up and down the fretboard.

Like Roth, Eddie projects a certain kind of agelessness. He looked relaxed and happy and often flashed his still-boyish grin on Sunday. He has aimed some barbs at Roth in the press lately, saying, in a Billboard magazine interview, “Roth’s perception of himself is different than who he is in reality. We’re not in our 20s anymore. We’re in our 60s. Act like you’re 60.” But onstage, they seemed delighted with each other, sharing some laughs and even hugging.

Roth, of course, left Van Halen in 1985 and didn’t return until 2007 (except to record a couple of tracks for a greatest hits album). The group’s hits with singer Sammy Hagar were ignored in Holmdel; as a result, there was plenty of space for old albums tracks such as “Dirty Movies” and “Drop Dead Legs” (both never played live before this tour) and material from the band’s 2012 reunion album “A Different Kind of Truth” (“She’s the Woman,” “China Town”).

Of course, it was the hits from Roth’s first stint in the band, though, that really pumped up the packed amphitheater, including “Runnin’ With the Devil,” “Dance the Night Away,” “Hot for Teacher,” “I’ll Wait,” Kinks cover “You Really Got Me” and the irresistible show-closing one-two punch of “Panama” and “Jump.”

Roth performed a solo number, sitting and playing an acoustic guitar and a harmonica on “Ice Cream Man.” And Eddie and Alex Van Halen got solo showcases as well, dazzling with their instrumental prowess. Wolfgang Van Halen, a veteran touring musician at 24, was solid throughout the show; while it would have been nice, sentimentally, to see original Van Halen bassist and backing vocalist Michael Anthony back up there, you can’t really make the case that he’s needed, musically, when Wolfgang plays so well.

The tour returns to the area Thursday and Saturday, for shows at the Nikon at Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, N.Y.
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• private parts
            Sniper
            • Jan 2007

Hope that worked! The show last night blew my mind. BEST show I've ever seen...VH or other. Dave was ON.
            Your not bias are you????
            sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Momshell
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by private parts
              Your not bias are you????
              Aren't we all? This is the ROTH army! I'm not claiming to be an unbiased reviewer. I'm a crazy die-hard fan! This was better than 2007-2008 and 2012. At least it was for me.
              Stay Frosty!

Comment

• private parts
                Sniper
                • Jan 2007

I'm a crazy die-hard fan!
                I'm just yanking your chain Momshell! Glad you enjoyed the show!
                sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

I had a fantastic time with some good friends and I will either make my way out to long island or down to camden for another show! Eddie's playing is scary he is so on right now. A tone that envelopes space and time! The place was packed!!!!

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Damn, damn, damn...After the TV debacles I was glad they weren't coming to Western Canada but now? Grrrrrr..
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

....At least it was for me.
                      The only person that matters...I don't need no critic to tell me how my concert was for me either!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                        I had a fantastic time with some good friends and I will either make my way out to long island or down to camden for another show! Eddie's playing is scary he is so on right now. A tone that envelopes space and time! The place was packed!!!!
                        Let me know if you're going to Camden. I hope that show is as blistering as this one apparently was. The Philly crowd usually brings it pretty good, so I'm hoping they all cross the border for that one.

Comment

• Momshell
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

I'll be at Camden. Have front row for that one!!!
                          Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Dave going in the crowd and doing selfies during Dirty Movies! That's awesome!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'll be at Camden. Have front row for that one!!!
                              Sounds like a Dave selfie (Delfie?) might be in your future!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Flying @eddievanhalen in #Holmdel pic.twitter.com/52haMXqdla— Bongano (@bonganorocks) August 11, 2015
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...