Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official August 13/15 Wantagh, NY, Nikon At Jones Beach Theater Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a few observations...
    The show was outstanding. When they came onstage Dave and Eddie approached each other, talked and pointed to each other in a "let's do this right" kind of way.

The show was definitely pro shot. If anyone has the knowledge to access film of this show get it and watch you will be pleased with the results.

Eddie was SPOT ON! You have to see to believe.

Dave was amazing! Yes his voice cracks and off tone at times but he sang all the lyrics with very few flub and seemed locked in. Quite a few impressive high kicks and a couple of splits. Pretty impressive for a 60 year old. His gaydar was on heightened alert. Can a person be so comfortable in their skin to perform like that and be straight? I don't care either way. He is a showman!

Zero interaction with Wolf. I thought that was strange.

I think Eddie likes performing with Dave because he really can concentrate on playing while Dave entertains the crowd. Sammy doesn't have that stage presence and Eddie is forced to help out with antics.

The backround vocals were good and help with Dave's vocal shortcomings.

Overall great show and happy I went. New York is a tough crowd to please but they came out determined and delivered. Place was packed and energized. Don't be surprised if they release a video of this show. Proud to be a Van Halen fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
      His gaydar was on heightened alert.
      So, you're saying he spotted you in the crowd?

Comment

Kinda weird how that 6 word sentence was so compelling that you focus on that more than any observation in my post. I call it like I see it. Sorry to offend. Speaking of seeing, if Dave spotted me in the nosebleed section amongst the 10,000 other middle aged men playing air guitar I am honored!

Comment

Kinda weird how that 6 word sentence was so compelling that you focus on that more than any observation in my post. I call it like I see it. Sorry to offend. Speaking of seeing, if Dave spotted me in the nosebleed section amongst the 10,000 other middle aged men playing air guitar I am honored!
          That 6 word sentence stood out like a sore thumb. Do you know what gaydar even is???
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Comment

Zero interaction with Wolf. I thought that was strange.
              ALMOST zero. But that might be even more evidence-besides the overall performance Dave put on- that the show was being shot for a live package. Dave knows that the camera and the people love to see him and Eddie mugging it up and interacting, so he might have been concentrating on that. Dave also dominated the video screens, too. CHARAZMA!

Comment

This is from the show comments section at the Links:

"I judge each show by Roth's performance because the rest of the band "brings it" every night from what i've seen on YouTube. Roth brought out his chest voice and classic screams alot tonight. I'm very critical of Roth but walked away very impressed with him tonight. So happy with his performance i might try to snag a ticket to Saturday night's show as well."

There you go. So if an admitted Dave skeptic can be won over by the quality of Dave's performance (to the point of wanting a second helping), why can't Dave catch a break in the "professional" reviews? The reviews, even the generally positive ones, seem to follow some variation of the "Van Halens great, Dave not so much" type stock reviews. I'm not saying there's a general anti Dave bias out there with the pro reviewers, but man, the guy can't seem to get the credit he deserves, especially when performing as well as he has for this tour.

Comment

They don't like Dave but wanna be him. I also think they don't really honestly review, but rehash what they believe or have their reviews and opinions about what they see in front of them by past bad performances and even the offstage drama. Some of these cunts are still calling it a "reunion tour".

Comment

Go to Newsday.Com to read a positive review of last night's show. Dave declares "this is one of our best shows of the season, as it should be" to the sold out show.

Comment

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
                      Some of these cunts are still calling it a "reunion tour".
                      Seriously. He's been back in the fold for what, 8 years now?

Idiots.

Comment

Kinda weird how that 6 word sentence was so compelling that you focus on that more than any observation in my post.
                        I focused on the rest too. It's just my nature to be a smartass.

Sorry to offend.
                        You really believe I'm that easily offended? No fucking way!

Comment

Originally posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
                          ALMOST zero. But that might be even more evidence-besides the overall performance Dave put on- that the show was being shot for a live package. Dave knows that the camera and the people love to see him and Eddie mugging it up and interacting, so he might have been concentrating on that. Dave also dominated the video screens, too. CHARAZMA!
                          Live package ?? That might come out in 2025 !!

Comment

But yeah. I was critical of Dave at the start of this tour. It looked like a repeat of 2012 for him. He has improved big time !! Still not 07/08.............but hey he was about 52 back then and had something too prove. After listening too a lot of other singers his age or older I will let him slide as long as I see the effort. And it's there. So is the swagger finally. So good for him. Look's like they are hitting their stride. They should extend the tour.

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                              They should extend the tour.
                              to Europe...as Dave promised in the press conference from '07...but there is still the biggest idiot in sports running the band, I guess...
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                                But yeah. I was critical of Dave at the start of this tour.
                                I was both critical and mortified. Had high hopes for the Kimmel thing and it was a train (nose) wreck for Dave. Thought sure the Ellen thing could have been a way to spread the good word and Dave was just, I dunno, phony and trying too hard. Thought Billboard performance was ok until I heard Dave doing his "the Van Halens this... the Van Halens that..." Press circus act. And as much as I know ya can't judge a performance by a cell phone vid, I was not thrilled at all with what I saw from the first show or two.

But dammit, if those mother f#%kers haven't been on absolute fire since show number three. Way to go boys. Way to go! Now, about that ADKOT follow up...

Comment

Working...
                                X