Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official August 13/15 Wantagh, NY, Nikon At Jones Beach Theater Meetup/Review Thread

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Love that the positivity is back here at the Army! I'm having an amazing time at all of these shows!!!
    What's your assessment of Dave's vocals? He's sounded really good on the vids. I'd assume he'd sound good live too, but there is a difference between the vids and live for sure.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I'm seeing them back to back in a month and I can't wait. This tour has really been great so far.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    What's your assessment of Dave's vocals? He's sounded really good on the vids. I'd assume he'd sound good live too, but there is a difference between the vids and live for sure.
    Considering his age and abilities and the fact that there is no such thing as a 10, Dave got a 9 from me. Not including the many, many screams. He was great. As good as The Meadowlands in '07 if not better.

4. Thanked BumBahDeeDah for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-17-2015)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 07:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My assessment is I came too realize he is an old guy !! I mean that's just a fact. I honestly think he is doing his best. And I judge that by his swagger he is bringing to the show's. I just thought he was going through the motion's on the 2012 tour. A lot of people thought he was sick on that tour. Maybe it was true ? He was coughing up a storm and sucking on lemons when I saw them. Then Ed got sick. They should stay out as long as they can IMO. Why not ?? Stay out there and entertain people. Do it while you can. If we get another album/tour or both I will be surprised. And when will that be ?? Not the fast worker's the once were !! LOL !!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Hey all, me and JHale got the chance to hang out for a couple hours last night in LA. Just as I thought, Jay is extremely cool, great to finally meet him in person....

After a 120 mile drive from San Diego that only took 4 1/2 hours, hit the Hard Rock Hollywood at CityWalk where the giant EVH guitar is, and then picked Jay up.

Hit the Rainbow to grab a bite to eat (helluva good selection of food, by the way).... Funny, Jay was talking about rockstars coming into the joint like Lemmy, etc., when just as he said that Sebastian Bach walks in.... Dude is surprisingly tall, like 6'5".... We pay our bill, go the door to grab a couple shot glasses, and Bach comes out at the same time, telling his friends they're going down to the Viper Room.....

Then we walked down the block to Whisky.... Really surprising how small the place is, given the historical significance of the place... Envisioned VH blowing that place up back in the day (no, I did NOT envision Van Hagarita there).... Some lame band was playing, and loud....

Anyway, great to hang with Jay, as it has been for the other Army members I've met over the years.....

Great to finally meet you too, bro. Good times. And now you can verify how close I actually live to Howdy-Doody mountain..lol! Toldja the Whiskey was small - so is the Roxy, the Troubadour, all the hallowed Hollywood clubs. The biggest stage was probably Gazarri's, and you saw what that place has turned into. Even more funny that had my gf been able to get a babysitter, she was coincidentally on the list +2 for the show Sebastian was going to at the Viper Room...(which is also a tiny, albeit famous, hole in the wall) - we could have checked it out. The name of the band escapes me at the moment, but I hear good things, and Bas wanting to check them out is probably also a good sign. I'll ask her their name again..

I was hoping you'd have at least one celeb sighting while we were there, but it was kinda early L.A. time. Glad you did.

But yeah VA, had a blast, great to see ya. We'll have to do it again next time you're in L.A.!

7. 2 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (08-15-2015),Never was (08-15-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Hey all, me and JHale got the chance to hang out for a couple hours last night in LA. Just as I thought, Jay is extremely cool, great to finally meet him in person....

After a 120 mile drive from San Diego that only took 4 1/2 hours, hit the Hard Rock Hollywood at CityWalk where the giant EVH guitar is, and then picked Jay up.

Hit the Rainbow to grab a bite to eat (helluva good selection of food, by the way).... Funny, Jay was talking about rockstars coming into the joint like Lemmy, etc., when just as he said that Sebastian Bach walks in.... Dude is surprisingly tall, like 6'5".... We pay our bill, go the door to grab a couple shot glasses, and Bach comes out at the same time, telling his friends they're going down to the Viper Room.....

Then we walked down the block to Whisky.... Really surprising how small the place is, given the historical significance of the place... Envisioned VH blowing that place up back in the day (no, I did NOT envision Van Hagarita there).... Some lame band was playing, and loud....

Anyway, great to hang with Jay, as it has been for the other Army members I've met over the years.....
    That's cool. I was just at all those places in June. Didn't realize JHale was that close. Did you see the Van Halen brick in the wall of the Rainbow Va?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    That's cool. I was just at all those places in June. Didn't realize JHale was that close. Did you see the Van Halen brick in the wall of the Rainbow Va?

No, saw one of his guitars up on the wall.... It was pretty busy in there....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The YouTubes really don't do it justice...Dave sounds amazing! Better than '07-'08 and definitely better than '12. He's really loose and comfortable up there. The ultimate showman. Hysterical and badass. Saw them 4 times and he's been better and better with each show. I have one more to go. Wish I had more. Can't seem to get enough!

11. 3 users say thank you to Momshell for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (08-18-2015),DavidLeeNatra (08-17-2015),DLR Bridge (08-17-2015)

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Dave holding a cigarette. He's Babe Ruth woofing down hot dogs and beer while knocking the cover off of the ball.
    But I wonder, if he DIDN'T smoke?

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

8.15.2015 Full show

14. 5 users say thank you to vaijuju for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (08-18-2015),katina (08-17-2015),Momshell (08-17-2015),twobad (08-17-2015),vandeleur (08-17-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the vid Vaijuju

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone seen/read any "pro" reviews for the 8/15 show? I'm curious because I thought Dave sounded great, so if any review bitches about his vocals, I'd really like to know how he could've been better.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2018 @ 08:16 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post

8.15.2015 Full show
    Man, what a great night! There is some real magic happening on stage with these guys. I don't think the camaraderie is put on. There is a mutual appreciation to where they are that is evident. And to all those who counted Dave out...the screams, the swagger. He is once again proving what a bad ass he is on that stage.

18. Thanked perrin29 for this KICKASS post:

Momshell (08-18-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    But I wonder, if he DIDN'T smoke?
    Why waste the brain cycles..?

He's 60... he's survived all life has thrown at him and entertained well for over 40 years. He can pull off a 2+ hour intense rock-n-roll performance and doesn't need to hit an oxygen tank... seems he's fine enough to me without fussing over smoking...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone seen/read any "pro" reviews for the 8/15 show? I'm curious because I thought Dave sounded great, so if any review bitches about his vocals, I'd really like to know how he could've been better.
    He's still off on some stuff. Like Dance The Night Away. But I think it is senseless criticism for the most part. But on the other hand HE is the one doing it & doesn't have too. I swear when he hit's that upper register he is almost trying too rush the song or something. He did it on a few lines of Romeo also. No way he is as good as 07/08, but it's close too his best singing overall. It is what it is. Dave at 60 !!! Thought he was great on most everything else. 2 show's here ? Take the best of both and give us a god dam dvd already !!! I love the swagger and revealing stories he's been sharing. Great stuff !! Great tour.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Think it's almost time too change up the setlist. No ??

Thread Information