Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 Official August 13/15 Wantagh, NY, Nikon At Jones Beach Theater Meetup/Review Thread - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official August 13/15 Wantagh, NY, Nikon At Jones Beach Theater Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've noticed from last night's show is that Dave is trying to keep a little more in his range...Unfortunately Dance The Night Away, he's still trying to sing it WAY higher than he did on the record.

I personally think last night's show was a million times better than the 2/28/12 MSG show. Dave sounded better and looked way healthier, he wasn't using the pop star headset mic (I saw the last show with the headset mic, it really didn't work out for him.) He even did a few karate kicks and a small ground split, which for a 60 year old man, is impressive. Eddie was playing absolutely phenomenal, almost as if the 2004 debacle never happened. Compare this tour with some 2007-2008 Reunion tour footage and you'll notice that Wolf is way more comfortable on stage now. Alex's drumming was top notch, as always.

The stage show is a million times better than last tour. Last tour, all we had were lights, a multi-tiered drum riser, and a gigantic screen spanning the entire stage. This tour, we actually have a setup that looks really cool. the visuals on the lighted screen behind Al were VERY cool (and painfully bright, but hey, what are you gonna do?), the suns on the drum riser were a nice touch and I just think that the rounded lighting rig really works with the stage show they're putting on.

This tour is seriously what the ADKOT tour should have been. I enjoyed seeing them on that tour, but this tour just destroys the ADKOT tour. A perfect storm of Dirty Movies, Drop Dead Legs, and In A Simple Rhyme done live and Dave sounding pretty damn good.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

Caught them in London last week and it was the closest thing to 1981 from the get go - a full on "here it is" and they wailed till the end...it was fucking outstanding

Comment

So for all of you naysayers, I'm already planning the second show (it was that good...)

Comment

And props to WVH - he made this whole extravaganza possible..

Dude has the chops and promotes the deafness in the ears I've missed for so long - we owe him a lot...

Comment

Love that the positivity is back here at the Army! I'm having an amazing time at all of these shows!!!
            Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

The great David Lee Roth from #vanhalen #closeandpersonal A video posted by Nicholas Riccardo (@nick_riccardo) on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:23pm PDT

Not sure how to change to from just a link but kinda cool..dig the dude at the end.." gimme a bottle of anything"...
              Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 08-15-2015, 11:11 AM. Reason: Added embed code....

Comment

Dave holding a cigarette. He's Babe Ruth woofing down hot dogs and beer while knocking the cover off of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                  But yeah. I was critical of Dave at the start of this tour. It looked like a repeat of 2012 for him. He has improved big time !! Still not 07/08.............but hey he was about 52 back then and had something too prove. After listening too a lot of other singers his age or older I will let him slide as long as I see the effort. And it's there. So is the swagger finally. So good for him. Look's like they are hitting their stride. They should extend the tour.
                  I was Speechless in Seattle...

Dude tutned it around big time.
                  'Cause three holes are better than a hole-in-one!!!

Comment

Hey all, me and JHale got the chance to hang out for a couple hours last night in LA. Just as I thought, Jay is extremely cool, great to finally meet him in person....

After a 120 mile drive from San Diego that only took 4 1/2 hours, hit the Hard Rock Hollywood at CityWalk where the giant EVH guitar is, and then picked Jay up.

Hit the Rainbow to grab a bite to eat (helluva good selection of food, by the way).... Funny, Jay was talking about rockstars coming into the joint like Lemmy, etc., when just as he said that Sebastian Bach walks in.... Dude is surprisingly tall, like 6'5".... We pay our bill, go the door to grab a couple shot glasses, and Bach comes out at the same time, telling his friends they're going down to the Viper Room.....

Then we walked down the block to Whisky.... Really surprising how small the place is, given the historical significance of the place... Envisioned VH blowing that place up back in the day (no, I did NOT envision Van Hagarita there).... Some lame band was playing, and loud....

Anyway, great to hang with Jay, as it has been for the other Army members I've met over the years.....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by DLR Bridge View Post
                      I was both critical and mortified. Had high hopes for the Kimmel thing and it was a train (nose) wreck for Dave. Thought sure the Ellen thing could have been a way to spread the good word and Dave was just, I dunno, phony and trying too hard. Thought Billboard performance was ok until I heard Dave doing his "the Van Halens this... the Van Halens that..." Press circus act. And as much as I know ya can't judge a performance by a cell phone vid, I was not thrilled at all with what I saw from the first show or two.

But dammit, if those mother f#%kers haven't been on absolute fire since show number three. Way to go boys. Way to go! Now, about that ADKOT follow up...
                      I was concerned as well after the less than stellar tv stuff from the spring. I'll have to check out those first couple of shows again- I don't remember Dave being that off, but my memory...

Now, about that ADKOT follow up...
                      With you there brother. My hope is that they take the momentum/good will from this tour and channel that in to a new album, and sooner rather than later. Sitting around for years at a time just doesn't cut it. Take a couple of three weeks off to rest or whatever, then get to work! If they timed it right, they could have a new album out by next summer and could hit the sheds again. Works for me!

Measured in Van Halen time, that's probably ridiculously optimistic, but a guy can dream, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Momshell View Post
                        Love that the positivity is back here at the Army! I'm having an amazing time at all of these shows!!!
                        What's your assessment of Dave's vocals? He's sounded really good on the vids. I'd assume he'd sound good live too, but there is a difference between the vids and live for sure.

Comment

I'm seeing them back to back in a month and I can't wait. This tour has really been great so far.
                          Originally posted by wiseguy
                          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckjitsu View Post
                            What's your assessment of Dave's vocals? He's sounded really good on the vids. I'd assume he'd sound good live too, but there is a difference between the vids and live for sure.
                            Considering his age and abilities and the fact that there is no such thing as a 10, Dave got a 9 from me. Not including the many, many screams. He was great. As good as The Meadowlands in '07 if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckjitsu View Post
                              My assessment is I came too realize he is an old guy !! I mean that's just a fact. I honestly think he is doing his best. And I judge that by his swagger he is bringing to the show's. I just thought he was going through the motion's on the 2012 tour. A lot of people thought he was sick on that tour. Maybe it was true ? He was coughing up a storm and sucking on lemons when I saw them. Then Ed got sick. They should stay out as long as they can IMO. Why not ?? Stay out there and entertain people. Do it while you can. If we get another album/tour or both I will be surprised. And when will that be ?? Not the fast worker's the once were !! LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
                                Hey all, me and JHale got the chance to hang out for a couple hours last night in LA. Just as I thought, Jay is extremely cool, great to finally meet him in person....

After a 120 mile drive from San Diego that only took 4 1/2 hours, hit the Hard Rock Hollywood at CityWalk where the giant EVH guitar is, and then picked Jay up.

Hit the Rainbow to grab a bite to eat (helluva good selection of food, by the way).... Funny, Jay was talking about rockstars coming into the joint like Lemmy, etc., when just as he said that Sebastian Bach walks in.... Dude is surprisingly tall, like 6'5".... We pay our bill, go the door to grab a couple shot glasses, and Bach comes out at the same time, telling his friends they're going down to the Viper Room.....

Then we walked down the block to Whisky.... Really surprising how small the place is, given the historical significance of the place... Envisioned VH blowing that place up back in the day (no, I did NOT envision Van Hagarita there).... Some lame band was playing, and loud....

Anyway, great to hang with Jay, as it has been for the other Army members I've met over the years.....

Great to finally meet you too, bro. Good times. And now you can verify how close I actually live to Howdy-Doody mountain..lol! Toldja the Whiskey was small - so is the Roxy, the Troubadour, all the hallowed Hollywood clubs. The biggest stage was probably Gazarri's, and you saw what that place has turned into. Even more funny that had my gf been able to get a babysitter, she was coincidentally on the list +2 for the show Sebastian was going to at the Viper Room...(which is also a tiny, albeit famous, hole in the wall) - we could have checked it out. The name of the band escapes me at the moment, but I hear good things, and Bas wanting to check them out is probably also a good sign. I'll ask her their name again..

I was hoping you'd have at least one celeb sighting while we were there, but it was kinda early L.A. time. Glad you did.

But yeah VA, had a blast, great to see ya. We'll have to do it again next time you're in L.A.!

Originally posted by conmee
                                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                                Originally posted by eddie78
                                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...
                                X