Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Looking forward to the chat with Greg...

VA can you edit your post #211 so that video doesn't auto-play?

I have been trying but I don't see any autoplay option in the code, so I just removed it...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I am so happy I could travel to Pasadena and to the bookstore yesterday, it was a long way !!! I had an awesome time !!! image.jpg
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 8 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (10-10-2015),DLR Bridge (10-10-2015),Fairwrning (10-10-2015),jhale667 (10-11-2015),Northern Girl (10-10-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-12-2015),VAiN (10-10-2015),Von Halen (10-10-2015)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    I am so happy I could travel to Pasadena and to the bookstore yesterday, it was a long way !!! I had an awesome time !!! image.jpg
    Katina, we all loved meeting you and especially loved that shirt you had on!!! Safe travels back home

5. 4 users say thank you to bantonelli for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-11-2015),DLR Bridge (10-10-2015),katina (10-11-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-12-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bantonelli View Post
    Katina, we all loved meeting you and especially loved that shirt you had on!!! Safe travels back home
    Thank you very much, I had a great time in Pasadena, going there and back by taxi was one the funniest moments of this trip. I can say that we have one more VH fan. Being at Dave's hometown for the VH Rising book release was a moment that I will never forget. Tomorrow I have a long flight home, I am glad I have VH Rising with me and plenty of time to read it at the plane.

7. 3 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-11-2015),DLR Bridge (10-11-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-12-2015)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    Thank you very much, I had a great time in Pasadena, going there and back by taxi was one the funniest moments of this trip. I can say that we have one more VH fan. Being at Dave's hometown for the VH Rising book release was a moment that I will never forget. Tomorrow I have a long flight home, I am glad I have VH Rising with me and plenty of time to read it at the plane.
    You might have mentioned it before but where did you stay while you were in L A? You might have had a good time checking out a few spots in So Cal via the Metro Link and Metro Lines too. There's so much to do and so much to see in So Cal you'd need at least a couple weeks to enjoy 1/4 of it. I miss L A but I don't miss living there. If you don't have money to burn L A gets old quick.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the country where I live citizens can only spend 25 $ on shopping online abroad per year, and customs officials steals everything they like. So to get the two RA t-shirts, I bought the online but sent them to a friend who lives in USA and another friend picked them up and travelled with them to finally give them to me. I know it was a lot of effort, and I am really happy to have them.

10. 4 users say thank you to katina for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-11-2015),DLR Bridge (10-11-2015),Seshmeister (10-12-2015),Von Halen (10-12-2015)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

The signing was cool, very nice to meet Greg, Pete's Bro & the Mrs, Vain, Lou and Katina. Meeting Ted Templeman was beyond awesome too. Bantonelli introduced me to Terry Gilgore, something she's been threatening to do for years. Good times.

12. 7 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (10-17-2015),DLR Bridge (10-11-2015),katina (10-11-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-12-2015),VAiN (10-12-2015),vandeleur (10-11-2015),Von Halen (10-12-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice interview in Salon....

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/11/auth...ining_partner/

The Rolling Stones of Gen X: “David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen are our Jagger and Richards”

The author of "Van Halen Rising" talks David Lee Roth, the band's early years -- and what made them so magical
    JAMIE BLAINE, THE WEEKLINGS

So you thought you knew Van Halen? I did. But I had no clue they’ve been around in some form since 1971, or that the brothers basically hated David Lee Roth but let him in because it was cheaper than renting his P.A. week after week, or that even after Dave joined they were the house band at Gazzarri’s for over two years before they got a break.

Greg Renoff devotes his entire book, “Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal,” to their formative years and nearly every page is a revelation. Reading it is like finding some lost demo tape every bit as awesome as “Fair Warning,” or stumbling on a bitchen Camaro time machine kegger where Jeff Spicoli shows up with his hand in the back pocket of Kim Kelly’s bell bottom jeans.

We have so much to discuss with author Greg Renoff. But before we get to the book, we must, must, must discuss Van Halen 2015.

What do you think about this recent reunion? It’s hard for me to see Diamond Dave this way.

I just had a conversation with a musician who worked with Dave for a number of years during his solo career. He said that Roth is a guy with very wide ranging interests, from origami to cattle herding with dogs, and as a result, one thing that suffers is his vocal performances because Dave doesn’t give singing as a technical matter the attention it deserves. In other words, because David Lee Roth isn’t a boring simple-minded guy who only likes to do one thing, he doesn’t always perform as well as he could as a vocalist. I thought that provided good food for thought, especially since DLR’s early live performances during this album cycle weren’t great out of the gate and he has improved as the band has played more shows.

I wrote a grad school paper about the personality dynamics of Van Halen and how I thought Michael Anthony was the secret key to the band’s appeal. That solid blue-collar working man who holds the foundation down so the other guys can all be flamboyant. I don’t know if the band works without Mike for me.

I think VH fans, at least those who came of age as fans from the 70s-90s, understand Anthony’s contributions to the band’s success were substantial, to say the least. He didn’t write the songs or end up on the cover of the magazines, but he was the guy, for instance, who was always spot-on with his background vocals in a live setting while Roth was jumping around and swigging JD. That made a big difference when it came to making Van Halen sound good back in the day. And Templeman also doubled Anthony’s background vocals in the studio because clearly he understood that he had a certain sound that made a difference on their records. So for me, yes, I do miss Anthony, even though I am glad VH is a going concern these days.

You think Mike’ll ever be back?

I think Wolf is a talented musician who is in an impossible position because of the messy situation with Anthony. Regardless, he’s handled everything with maturity and class and for however long his Dad wants him in VH, Wolf will be in VH, regardless of former members or what anyone else thinks.

Why did you decide to focus “Van Halen Rising” on the early years?

I’m a fanatical Van Halen fan who happens to be a historian by training. So I think I was pretty attuned to what was known and not known about the band’s past. I’d read just about every book about the band, and it always seemed that while the band’s post-1978 history had been detailed fairly well, VH’s origins and years in L.A. got short shrift. In the meantime, I’d read little mentions in Dave and Eddie’s interviews about these wet-T-shirt contests the band was involved in, the insanely big backyard parties, and about how Ed and Al had a power trio called Genesis way back in 1971 or so. As fans we knew almost nothing about VH’s history prior to 1978. I wanted to know a lot more, and that’s what inspired me. But it all came down to one key question — how did VH develop into a band powerful enough to blow Black Sabbath off the stage in 1978? That could only be answered by looking at their pre-fame years.

Eddie and Alex had Mammoth and Dave had Red Ball Jet. And they really didn’t like each other at all. So how did Van Halen the band ever come together?

I have a whole chapter in the book about “How David Lee Roth joined VH.” But the short answer is two-fold. EVH was not much of a singer, and he was an introvert at heart. He didn’t like fronting Mammoth (which was the band name before it was changed to Van Halen). Roth was confident and talked a good game, so even though his voice wasn’t great, he surely knew how to attract attention and draw a crowd while onstage. In addition, Dave had a PA system that he’d been renting to the brothers, which helped them think it would be cheaper to get him in the band. But when people read the book, they will see that David Lee Roth was very strategic about how he approached trying to join Mammoth. It’s a great untold story.

Van Halen gigged for years before getting any sort of breakthrough. What role did Gene Simmons play in getting them signed?

Gene Simmons will tell you he discovered Van Halen. I’m not sure that’s true, but Simmons did take the entire band to NYC and into Electric Ladyland, where a demo was recorded. In the long run, I’d say that even though KISS’s management passed on VH, the band got a boost from the demo because it was played on KROQ in LA by Rodney Bingenheimer.

How about Ted Templeman?

In late 1977, Van Halen’s media guide offered up a story that implied that Templeman just wandered into the Starwood club one evening earlier that year, was wowed by Van Halen, and signed them. That’s only true in the outlines. The truth is that Marshall Berle, who was booking bands at the Whisky in late 1976, got a tip about Van Halen. He then saw them perform in Pasadena and was blown away. A few months later, Berle, who’d promised to help VH get a record deal, called up his old friend Ted Templeman and said, come check out this band. Templeman told me that before Berle’s call he had no idea there was a band called Van Halen playing regularly in Hollywood. Templeman also said that he knew Berle had good instincts when it came to bands, so he thought it would be worth his time to go to the Starwood. So the truth is that without Berle making that call, Templeman doesn’t show up at the Starwood that night.

In your opinion, what made Van Halen so magic?

It’s hard to boil that down, but let me try. Like many of the great rock bands of the ’70s, the creative push and pull between the frontman and the guitarist made the big difference. When he first joined the band in 1973, Roth had a vision for the group to have more of a pop sound. EVH, of course, was a brilliant technician and songwriter. Between those two things, we get the classic Van Halen sound. For kids like me who were born during the Nixon administration, Roth and EVH are our Page and Plant, our Tyler and Perry, our Jagger and Richards.

What’s your favorite / most curious tidbit you discovered about the band?

Early on in my research, I learned that Van Halen, soon after Roth joined in the summer of 1973, was performing “Cold Sweat” by James Brown. This really seemed like something out of left field for a hard rock band like Van Halen, but after I learned more about Roth’s background (he was bussed to a majority-black high school in Pasadena starting in 1970) and musical tastes, it all made perfect sense.

Explain “Backyard Party Band” — how did that work in Southern California in the ’70s?

The backyard party phenomenon ran hot in LA in the early 1970s. I think it was part of the Woodstock effect – the early 70s were the golden age of festivals: Isle of Wight, Watkins Glen, Altamont, and so on. I think rock music had really set kids afire and so the obvious thing to do was to try to imitate that on a local level. Parents would leave town, kids would hire a band like Van Halen, make flyers, get some kegs, and things would be off and running.

You mention that Al called the shots because he could hands down whip anybody in the band but that was early on, before Mike Anthony joined. Just for fun – who do you think was tougher in ’75?

Alex was bigger and more physically imposing than his brother. He was also an intimidating guy when he was drunk and not in a good mood. A number of people mentioned that to me. And Michael Anthony told me that when Alex and Ed would get in fistfights, Alex was very careful not to hurt Ed’s hands. Mike Anthony looked like a brawler, but from all accounts, was very nice and easygoing, so I don’t think he was kicking anyone’s ass back then.

From “Van Halen Rising,” one gets the notion there is a huge trove of unreleased tracks. What are your five favorite rare VH songs?

Good question. “Believe Me” showed off VH’s prog-rock side. Would have been a great song maybe for the second side of Fair Warning.

I love “Young and Wild” – that was the Kim Fowley, Steven Tetsch penned song, recorded on VH’s Warner Bros demo at the behest of Fowley, who’d told Marshall Berle, Van Halen’s then manager, about VH.

I love the original “House of Pain” from the Simmons demo, complete with the horror movie lyrics.

Also a big fan of “Voodoo Queen” from the WB demo, mostly because of the killer ending that has Anthony and Roth trading screams.
    And then “Angel Eyes,” which is Roth’s take on 70s soft rock, like the Eagles. The band recorded in in 1974 on a demo they did at Cherokee Studios. Supposedly it was worked up for Van Halen II too.

Is there more coming? “Women & Children First” to “1984”? Van Hagar?

In theory, I’d be interested in writing another book, but I think that comes down to how well this one sells, and if the other three band members — the Van Halen brothers and Roth — would be willing to speak to me about their recollections. I think it would be more challenging to do a book about say, 1978-1985, without their participation. But nothing’s set in stone and my mind is open about all of this.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I disagree (subjectively) with some of what's written here, but all in all, very informative... http://t.co/eNMmaEHnTN @Salon @TheWeeklings— Valerie Bertinelli (@Wolfiesmom) October 12, 2015

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

@Roth_Army @Salon @GregRenoff yep!— Valerie Bertinelli (@Wolfiesmom) October 12, 2015

16. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (10-11-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    @Roth_Army @Salon @GregRenoff yep!— Valerie Bertinelli (@Wolfiesmom) October 12, 2015
    Really? Really??? Yeah, his vocals are amazing on How Many Say I. And if you listen to the latest live record you can hear him pretty well - the guy can't sing to save his life.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here, let's all listen to Ed's "underrated" singing voice - it's amazing!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Really? Really??? Yeah, his vocals are amazing on How Many Say I. And if you listen to the latest live record you can hear him pretty well - the guy can't sing to save his life.

After what, 45 years of smoking !! Not to mention cancer....

In the early years he had a good singing voice... Probably not good enough to be a permanent lead singer, but a good singer nonetheless....

Exhibit A....

20. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-11-2015),private parts (10-12-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

C'mon DP. You can't seriously be rating Ed's vocal contribution from '98 on only. His voice lands right between Michaels shrill and D-Ro's lows. Don't know that he would make a decent lead singer, but if Keef can do it...
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 10-11-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: I'm a lil drunk

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

After listening to Ed singing How Many Say I...I take it back. You're right. Ed is an amazing singer. The song structure is incredible too. It's TOTALLY not an endless jerk off. I don't know how I could have missed it all these years. I'm re-listening to the most recent live record right now and you're right - he's just amazing.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You guys are insane, drunk, or high as hell. Ed can't sing worth a shit. I don't care how much you hate Mike - Ed adds next to nothing to the vocal mix.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Disagree. All of my live bootlegs from back in the day, Ed held his own. You keep listening to VH III though. It's liable to grow on ya.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Disagree. All Of my live bootlegs from back in the day, Ed held his own. You keep listening to VH III though. It's liable to grow on ya.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Disagree. All of my live bootlegs from back in the day, Ed held his own. You keep listening to VH III though. It's liable to grow on ya.
    I don't think I own the same bootlegs you guys own. Ed has zero ability. Running around saying he does won't make it so, no matter how many retwats Val posts.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the early years he had a good singing voice... Probably not good enough to be a permanent lead singer, but a good singer nonetheless....

Exhibit A....

Smoking, blah blah blah, age, yadda yadda yadda. I watched that video and I don't hear any "underrated" singing.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think you do, either. You're a DLR solo years aficionado. Ed wasn't there. I have numerous boots of him adding more grounded vocals to offset the pitchy Mr. A.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exhibit A....
    Next you're gonna say I'm exaggerating when I say almost all of Dave's routine was ripped off from a high school cheer routine. And I think I've proved my point with that...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think you do, either. You're a DLR solo years aficionado. Ed wasn't there. I have numerous boots of him adding more grounded vocals to offset the pitchy Mr. A.
    Grounded must equal F L A T. Cause that's what Ed adds, including the US Fest VA posted - flat vocals. I don't hear any underrated singing. But, since I'm probably wrong again I'll put in my favorite boot and listen really hard to try and hear Ed and his awesome magic singing.

You guys do know Val and Ed ain't gonna post here or kick in any cash to run this site, right?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, you were right about that (cheer).
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 10-11-2015 at 11:36 PM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You guys do know Val and Ed ain't gonna post here or kick in any cash to run this site, right?
    Just so long as you know my opinion differing from yours has nothing to do with a tweet from Ed's ex-wife.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave had the pom poms photoshopped out.

We need more revisionist stuff like this

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cheer + martial arts = jumping up and down and kicking ass.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You guys are nuts - and that's not a bad thing

But to call Ed's vocal contribution "underrated" on Twatspank is ridiculous. It's funny, I seem to recall a hell of a lot of angst over Mike being piped in to the first "reunion" tour. What, couldn't Ed's "underrated" singing voice cover up the backing vocals? His amazing voice couldn't "blend" with Wofie's? Or did I get a shitty copy of the latest live album too, along with my crappy bootlegs?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post

I refuse to listen to this because I'm sure it sucks

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I refuse to listen to this because I'm sure it sucks

It has piped in vocals

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's the Grail. And I hear Mike and I hear Ed's flat vocals. Ed's singing, sure enough. But he adds next to nothing and saying he's underrated is like saying the guy running the lights is underrated.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I fucking love that video

42. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (10-12-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I fucking love that video
    Me too. But it proves my point that Ed doesn't have an "underrated" voice. At best he's a decent backing vocal singer. Or was. Now he's just a bitter old cunt with a recently unfattified ex wife that can't seem to get her kid to jump on the cheap TV-lose-weight-bandwagon.

But she retwatted a twit so that has to make it so.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It proves you cant get this stuff no more bud.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Opinions DP. Now get get back to cleaning your gunz.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blah blah blah...you guys really think Ed had an "underrated voice" then you're crazy as shit. Ed's voice is marginal at best. And always was.

VA got his retwat. Trying to prove it's true is ridiculous.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So says the man claiming the man with the swords is a cheer leader , long way to go japan just to learn the pom pom

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Skip to 4:45 for some Ed vocals. He does ok. Again, not saying he's a great singer, but I actually like his grisly Tom Waits voice. I'd buy a solo CD with him singing before I'd get anything with Hags on it.

Thread Information