Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Olbermann Back to MSNBC?

I don't know if I'd be happier to see Keith back, or happier to see how disgusted conservatives will get....

But I would be really surprised to see them hire him back based on their recent moves.... They got rid of Schultz, moved Alex Wagner and Sharpton to weekends....

Having said that, they NEED him back....

http://www.mediaite.com/online/exclu...-msnbc-return/

Exclusive: NBC’s Andy Lack to Meet with Keith Olbermann on Possible MSNBC Return
    by Joe Concha | 12:02 pm, October 6th, 2015

The apex of MSNBC’s 19-year existence was arguably its run during the 2008 presidential campaign. Barack Obama was an electric, historic and therefore ratings-generating candidate. Sarah Palin–who joined the fray relatively late just three months before the election, served as the perfect foil for progressives. And leading the charge was the face of the network, Keith Theodore Olbermann.

But like many times and broadcast venues before, the former ESPN, Fox Sports and Current TV talent eventually wore out his welcome at MSNBC and the two parted ways in January of 2011. The network still enjoyed a successful 2012 fueled largely by the president’s successful re-election campaign, but then faltered badly during the following (non-election) year. Things got even worse in 2014 with the network falling behind CNN in the demo and into 3rd place, leading to the big changes we’ve seen from NBC News President Andy Lack this year…changes that include Ed Schultz gone (replaced by Chuck Todd), Al Sharpton to Sunday mornings and all opinion programming from 1:00 PM-5:00 PM EST eliminated for relatively traditional news (via Thomas Roberts and Kate Snow).

So now that afternoons are settled and with Lack basically confirming to Variety what was exclusively reported here last month regarding the likely expansion of Morning Joe (an additional hour extending to 10:00 AM EST), the last piece of the puzzle appears to be primetime. Note: 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM will remain safely in the hands of Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell, leaving 8:00 PM (All in with Chris Hayes) as the next possible timeslot for alteration. So with all of that said, a well-placed source now informs me that a meeting has been set between Olbermann and Lack to discuss his return to the network and his old 8:00 PM slot. This arrangement was something that Mediaite’s Andrew Kirell first wrote about as a rumor in July; when asked for comment, a network executive with knowledge close to the situation tells me, “It is patently untrue.”

Said source indicates the impetus for the conversation is to jumpstart sagging ratings under Hayes, which despite an Emmy win this year has been a consistent drag on the rest of primetime since launching on April Fools Day in 2013. At one point this year in May, the show averaged only 74k in the demo, making it the worst performing MSNBC program at 8:00 PM since 2005. And given Olbermann is now a free agent after leaving ESPN again in July (Note: on good terms if the company’s farewell statement is any indication), he appears to be the only remedy for Lack.

Also note: The biggest liberal names out there–the kind that attract eyeballs and own the unique ability to go viral–are either locked up in contract and/or (much more importantly) far to pricey: Jon Stewart made a reported $30 million annually with Comedy Central; Bill Maher would never agree to be relatively restrained (compared to the freedom HBO provides), and John Oliver gets paid $2 million annually to be on the air once a week for 30 minutes with a killer research and writing staff. Someone like a John Fugelsang is potentially a more cost-effective, outside-the-box option, but is an unproven commodity on this kind of stage, and MSNBC brass may be (rightly) risk-averse given its recent history in that regard.

In the meantime, a conversation may or may not soon commence between Keith Olbermann and MSNBC, depending on whom you believe. The topic? His possible return to the network.

He isn’t under contract. A huuuugggge campaign season with plenty of comedy to play with is already underway. There probably isn’t a moment on this rollercoaster ride that Olbermann wishes he isn’t attacking with a snarky remark from his old Countdown chair again.

He may have burned (OK, napalmed) the bridge during his sudden exit last time. There’s always a risk taking on the Terrell Owens of broadcasting.

But bridges can be repaired if the ends justify the means. In the end, Olbermann and MSNBC make sense, at least until the inauguration in 2017.

And if one discussion leads to another which leads to a contract, perhaps MSNBC primetime as a whole can get back to being truly competitive once again.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (10-11-2015)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

MSNBC has become a joke lately. Being without cable TV, I don't watch it every day, but it seems like every time I'm somewhere with a TV that has that channel on, for the last few months, it's become the Trump network 24/7 (or at least when they aren't showing the prison crap on the weekends)

They fired Schultz because he was outspoken in both his support for Bernie Sanders, and in his opposition to SHAFTA (TPP). If they're censoring their message that tightly, I don't see Olbermann coming back under those conditions. As much as I would love to see him doing "Countdown" again, there would be no point in doing so, if Scumca$t was dictating what he could or could not say on the air.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    MSNBC has become a joke lately. Being without cable TV, I don't watch it every day, but it seems like every time I'm somewhere with a TV that has that channel on, for the last few months, it's become the Trump network 24/7 (or at least when they aren't showing the prison crap on the weekends)

They fired Schultz because he was outspoken in both his support for Bernie Sanders, and in his opposition to SHAFTA (TPP). If they're censoring their message that tightly, I don't see Olbermann coming back under those conditions. As much as I would love to see him doing "Countdown" again, there would be no point in doing so, if Scumca$t was dictating what he could or could not say on the air.

Yeah, it sure seems as though they don't want anyone that shows any type of emotion when discussing the issues...

For as great as Maddow is IMHO, let's face it, there's very little emotion there....

And frankly, it's that that conservative anchors do so much better, they know how to push their base's buttons.....

But you're right, Keith will never sign back on if they attempt to put a short leash on him....

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

I want him back on ESPN!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    I want him back on ESPN!

He's very underrated as a sports historian, his mannerisms get in the way....

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Olberman is under rated as a sports guy and I actually like him as a commentator although often disagree. His work history in assorted companies seems to indicate he is a royal pain in the ass in regard to office politic crap but he is a very good spokesman for the MSNBC point of view.

MSNBC is merely Fox News for the opposite end of the spectrum. Two sides of the same coin, to anchor viewpoint on one side of the political spectrum and preach to pre-existing followers. To each group their side seems balanced when in fact their is nothing balance by either.

That alone is not bad, but unfortunately too many get all their news from one source or viewpoint. For some reason dialogue is dead and the public seems to only want confirmation of their existing view which are so often singular sided.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I liked him on MSNBC. Particularly his well written, show ending rants. But the constant poking at "Billo the clown" or Glenn Beck was tiresome. The network veered towards the high road when they parted ways with him, though eventually, they veered right back. Networks taking pot shots at each other is silly and self absorbed. That's not what I call giving the people what they want.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    MSNBC is merely Fox News for the opposite end of the spectrum. Two sides of the same coin, to anchor viewpoint on one side of the political spectrum and preach to pre-existing followers. To each group their side seems balanced when in fact their is nothing balance by either.

If we were discussing this during Keith's previous MSNBC employment, I would tend to agree, but as I said, with the network moving more of their more opinionated Democratic voices either completely out (Schultz) or to the weekends (Wagner, Sharpton), it's clear that the network is trying to be less 'shockjock', more news....

It's for that reason why again I'd be surprised if they rehired Keith.... I just don't see him operating with a leash in terms of his content and his viewpoints.....

And as Bridge said, it's not that his rants were inaccurate nor unnecessary.... Just the contrary, Democrats need much more of that, as compared to their Republican counterparts....

We'll see....

10. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-11-2015),jhale667 (10-11-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

His more noteworthy "how dare you, sir!" lashing he gave W was great, but he layed into O a couple of times towards the end. I guess you might say that, like Jon Stewart, he fights the war on bullshit.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    , Democrats need much more of that, as compared to their Republican counterparts....
    I guess to me that is a big problem with the construct of cable media and its negative impact on the dialogue. I wrote a white paper on this 3 years ago and the R-squared between partisan congressional votes and cable news penetration in the US is shockingly high. Not only is dialogue impacted but both parties have seen a dramatic and fairly equal rise in partisan votes. It doesn't just seem like we are more partisan we are. The ability to simply not have to hear a counter view since we have such partisan media aids in that. I don't think as a society we end up well served by that and members of both parties have record low approvals in congress.

Perhaps what is needed is the ability to hear what we don't want to hear. The increased supply of media has resulted in more closed minds which is sad.

Thread Information