Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

EVH / YRGM

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Beautiful Girls / WIL / HFT

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Review....

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...oth-eddie.html

Van Halen closes out its tour with a spirited show at the Hollywood Bowl
    Oct. 3, 2015 Updated 11:38 a.m.

Where: The Hollywood Bowl
    When: Oct. 2
    Next: The band plays the final show of its tour at 7 p.m. Sunday. Tickets, $30-$250, are available at ticketmaster.com

Say what you will about Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth, the guy leaves it all onstage.

There’s no holding back, even as he sings himself hoarse. Even though his stiff-looking karate kicks don’t fly as high as they used to. Even as his schmaltzy antics distract from Eddie Van Halen’s solos.

Roth keeps going and going, that reptilian smile plastered across his face.

And you know what, it works.

Roth and the boys Van Halen brought a high-energy show – the next to last of their long tour – to the Hollywood Bowl on Friday. The battle-scarred band, who close out the trek with a second Bowl show Sunday, played like it was the tour opener.

From the first note of the 21-song set to the last, Van Halen thrilled the capacity crowd with a performance that mixed vaudeville with classic rock.

The set list, reportedly written by Eddie’s son, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, included fan favorites plus a few deep dives into the catalog, such as “Light Up the Sky.”

The band was as tight as ever, yes, Wolfgang can play. Eddie remains a master shredder, producing a sonic tidal wave from his six-string as he high-stepped across the stage. Alex Van Halen holds down the beat tirelessly.

Roth, musically, is the weakest link and yet the band’s biggest asset.

He is the glittery ringmaster of this rock circus. And he does it with aplomb.

He is the tissue that connects all the musical muscle.

Sure, it’s fashionable among some Van Halen fans to slag Roth.

“He goes low when he should go high,” complained one fan, referring to Roth’s singing.

Indeed, Roth will drop an octave or speak the lyrics to save his voice. But he goes for the high note more often than not. And he can still do the splits, though it’s visibly harder to get back up.

His shtick, part singer, part storyteller, part fashion plate, part band major, keeps things interesting.

And Eddie’s guitar can do the screaming when Roth no longer can.

Some choice cuts of the night: “Runnin’ with the Devil,” “Little Guitars,” “Hot for Teacher” and “Everybody Wants Some.”

Wolfgang and Eddie were more than capable on the high background vocals, no creaks there.

Eddie took the stage alone for a 10-minute guitar solo, a fret-tapping, fast-fingered assault. The years have made Eddie a little grayer and a little thicker, but they haven’t affected his playing. He’s still a speed demon.

Standing in the wings, Wolfgang snapped pictures of his father hammering away, all smiles.

By the time they joined hands for a final bow, it seemed like they genuinely enjoyed playing together, after years of feuding.

Or, as one fan observed, maybe they just realized they need each other.

4. 3 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-03-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-03-2015),vaijuju (10-03-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Last night was pretty damn cool. #HollywoodBowl #VanHalen Photo by @pbertinelli A photo posted by Wolf Van Halen (@wolfvanhalen) on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:30pm PDT

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

Thanks again VA Beach for all your great find, it's was an awesome summer with VH !!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

7. 2 users say thank you to vaijuju for this KICKASS post:

katina (10-07-2015),Va Beach VH Fan (10-03-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool shot from the crowd last night... Can't wait to do it again tomorrow. #HollywoodBowl #VanHalen A photo posted by Wolf Van Halen (@wolfvanhalen) on Oct 3, 2015 at 5:35pm PDT

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One more review...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...003-story.html

Van Halen finally crosses the finish line at the Hollywood Bowl
    Mikael Wood

Nobody in Van Halen said anything onstage Friday night about what’s next for the famously volatile hard-rock band, which this weekend is wrapping up 3 ˝ years of intermittent activity with a pair of concerts at the Hollywood Bowl.

We know what’s already happened. In 2012 Van Halen released “A Different Kind of Truth,” the band’s first album with its original frontman, David Lee Roth, since Roth’s acrimonious departure in 1985. (The singer, whose slot was filled first by Sammy Hagar, then by Gary Cherone, came back initially in 2007 for a blockbuster reunion tour.)

Reaction to the new music was strong, as was the new music itself. Yet it didn’t take long for the wheels to start falling off: Only three months into playing shows behind “A Different Kind of Truth,” Van Halen postponed, then canceled, dozens of 2012 tour dates. More recently, guitarist Eddie Van Halen has had some less-than-charitable words for the inveterate ham who helped form the band – along with Van Halen’s brother, drummer Alex Van Halen, and bassist Michael Anthony – in Pasadena in 1974.

“Roth’s perception of himself is different than who he is in reality,” the guitarist told Billboard over the summer. “We’re not in our 20s anymore. We’re in our 60s. Act like you’re 60.”

None of this raised hopes for Van Halen’s latest run of shows, tied to a throwaway live album and set to conclude Sunday with an encore at the Bowl. I walked into the venue Friday night half-expecting a stumble to the finish line, with maybe a public brawl if we were lucky.

Imagine my surprise, then, to find that Van Halen sounded pretty great: speedy and precise but with a walloping bottom end. What’s more, the band’s mood seemed downright civil.

“Ed and I agree to apologize every few summers and come out and share the good news,” Roth said at one point, delighting an audience clearly packed with hardcore fans who’d been with the group since its early days. Then he said the best moments in his life have taken place onstage with this band. (You took it for granted that he meant the version with Anthony as opposed to Eddie Van Halen’s 24-year-old son Wolfgang, who took over as bassist in 2006.)

Highlights? A crunching “Runnin’ with the Devil.” A thunderous “Unchained.” An appealingly sleazy “Ice Cream Man.” “Beautiful Girls” boogied; “Feel Your Love Tonight” had crisp vocal harmonies. And “Hot for Teacher” was absurdly, almost comically fast, probably 20% faster than it is on record.

Conscious of the hometown crowd, Roth peppered his usual banter with rambling anecdotes about playing the now-defunct Gazzarri’s on the Sunset Strip and about how he was one of the only white kids at Pasadena’s John Muir High School. “I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said.

As at AC/DC’s concert this week at Dodger Stadium, the production was relatively low-tech compared with the complex multimedia spectacles you now get from younger acts. But Van Halen didn’t need that newfangled flash. It had a frontman willing to put on a new hat or scarf between virtually every song and a mad-genius guitarist whose 10-minute solo near the end of the show was a marvel of hard-won technique.

I’m not saying Van Halen is here to stay. If nothing else, the fact that these guys played only one song from “A Different Kind of Truth” – it was “She’s the Woman,” performed more carelessly than anything else Friday – suggests the last few years haven’t exactly filled them with warm memories.

But who knows? Perhaps in their 60s they’ve gotten good at forgetting.

Twitter: @mikaelwood

10. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-04-2015)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Watch DTNA from that show...if the moment between Ed and Dave is the moment of closure for this band, so be it.

Great moment in rock history!

12. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (10-04-2015)

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2017 @ 03:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I had to look for it...

14. 5 users say thank you to qikgts for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (10-04-2015),Dan (10-04-2015),Land's Edge (10-04-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (10-05-2015),vandeleur (10-05-2015)

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Damn,That Was Very Moving @ 7:14-7:36.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Every true blue VH & DLR fan will be there!!! Went Friday night (Oct. 2) and ran into old RothArmy'er AlbertR. Fantastic Set List !! - the Bowl didn't have an empty seat - a true sea of fans.... VH had a fantastic set list - just wish they wouldn't end with "JUMP" - oh well, gotta give the casual VH'er what they want?

Happy "early" Birthday Dave!!!!!

17. Thanked bantonelli for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (10-05-2015)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If there was ever a time for VH to make it right, it would be this show..Hollywood Ca..final show..you need to add a shitload of extra shit..surely somebody would love to come onstage and jam with Eddie...including a certain bassist that would allow Wolf to pursue his own music, and setting up one last album and tour by the original lineup..yeah,Im dreaming.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen the other night.. A video posted by HH (@goochfacekilla) on Oct 4, 2015 at 11:41am PDT

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bantonelli View Post
    Every true blue VH & DLR fan will be there!!! Went Friday night (Oct. 2) and ran into old RothArmy'er AlbertR. Fantastic Set List !! - the Bowl didn't have an empty seat - a true sea of fans.... VH had a fantastic set list - just wish they wouldn't end with "JUMP" - oh well, gotta give the casual VH'er what they want?

Happy "early" Birthday Dave!!!!!

Remember when we met along with Albert at the House of Blues in Vegas in '06 ??

21. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (10-06-2015)

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Awesome show!!! Smiles galore! Going tonight to the closing show, will write more about both shows later . VH ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember it well... in fact, the uncomfortable thing I remember about that concert is that some girl kept looking at me like she wanted to get in my face - it was bizarre! I'm looking/watching DLR and she's staring at me the whole time.....Creepy!

But it was so great to see my fellow RA'ers there - VA & AlbertR. Awesome time with you guys and the "Toastmaster General" himself!

24. Thanked bantonelli for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (10-06-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bantonelli View Post
    I remember it well... in fact, the uncomfortable thing I remember about that concert is that some girl kept looking at me like she wanted to get in my face - it was bizarre! I'm looking/watching DLR and she's staring at me the whole time.....Creepy!

But it was so great to see my fellow RA'ers there - VA & AlbertR. Awesome time with you guys and the "Toastmaster General" himself!

Yeah it was great seeing Dave in an intimate setting like that, that was my 1st time to Vegas after my son moved there....

We go every year now, and going for the 2nd time this year at the end of the year when grandchild #3 is born, due on New Year's Eve....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Be careful if you decide to take a walk down Hollywood Blvd. A lot of low lifes hang out there at night. It's fairly safe during the day.
    Thanks for your advice CDog, I did take a walk down the Hollywood Blvd. during the afternoon, and walked at night to the Parlour Room to have some drinks, a little dark but nice place.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamBlondie View Post
    Welcome to Los Angeles - - it will be GREAT! (and the weather is perfect right now too!)
    Thank you ICB, the weather was perfect, it began to rain on the last show but it stopped, I am having a great time at LA, I hiked a couple of times the Runyon Canyon, a couple of days ago trying to reach the top, there was a beautiful rainbow before it begins to rain, I was soaking wet, it was fun !!

28. Thanked katina for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (10-08-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    I was soaking wet
    Pics or it didn't happen!

30. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-08-2015),vandeleur (10-08-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Hahahaha!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    I had to look for it...

This was cool. A few things strike me about it. There are some people that say ah it's all fake it's the same every night and there are others now when he doesn't call it rambling = can't win.

I wonder if Ed had apologized about his shitty Rolling Stones article improving relations.

The other thing is there is a common thing said that most stand up comedians wish they were rock stars and vice versa- there has to be some truth in that..

Finally anyone else notice it's almost always Alex that Dave looks to for conformation when he says a line?

You divide what rapport there is onstage and I'd guess it's 5% Wolfie, 10% Ed and 85% Alex although I haven't seen a peer reviewed scientific article so far...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-07-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    I agree with your assessment... Dave's body language indicates Alex is who Dave pans to for confirmation in most cases. So now we know who's mom on stage...

Thread Information