X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Fairwrning
    You arent the only one..I think the band obviously wants to play them..but God forbid , Dave isnt going to try something new( GGB lasted no time last tour)..I want to know if they have talked about these tunes with Dave at all...I doubt it.
    I smell bullshit around this whole thing. We're being led around by the fucking nose.

These Instagram snippets are nothing but a marketing strategy to sell tickets to suckers like us, and are in NO WAY any indication or confirmation that these songs will be performed on the upcoming tour.

It's the 3 Van Halens fucking around in the studio and doing different things because they're bored out of their fucking skulls by the "Dave-approved" setlist. (Just like most of the fans at this point)

When Dave's away, the Van Halen's will play....
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Seems these guys are rehearsing daily, to get ready.

I wonder what Dave is doing? Smoking? Studying Japanese? Dancing? Karate? Practicing his baton routine? Getting more tattoos? Watching his hair grow back? Debating his wardrobe? Rustling cattle?

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
        It's very cool to see the "three twins" rehearsing these gems, but let's face it, it all comes down to whether or not Dave will sing them. I see this whole movement becoming a flashpoint for another fight between Dave, Ed, and Al.
        That will be the next breakup. "Fuckin' Dave, man. He never does anything I ask, doesn't want to sing any of the deep cuts..."
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

They are probably scanning youtube for a clone that can and will sing all the songs!

I believe Ed would like to make more new music. I believe he knows there is nobody that can emulate the magic he has with Dave. I think Ed having a clear head, and perspective, is allowing him to be much more tolerant with Dave, than he would have been, and was, previously.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
            They are probably scanning youtube for a clone that can and will sing all the songs!
            Why not? It's working for Journey.

As long as Ed doesn't take his mechanic's advice again...
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
              I believe Ed would like to make more new music.
              I want to believe that, but he's too stuck in nostalgia land. He could be making new music with anyone and call the project something other than Van Halen. He could make a solo album with various guest singers. Sitting on the sidelines to watch his son make a record with his friends is not a great use of his time. Maybe his well is dry.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                Head Fluffer
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                I want to believe that, but he's too stuck in nostalgia land. He could be making new music with anyone and call the project something other than Van Halen. He could make a solo album with various guest singers. Sitting on the sidelines to watch his son make a record with his friends is not a great use of his time. Maybe his well is dry.
                Meanwhile, Dave has created new stuff with John 5 and it just languishes...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I agree it looks and sounds like Ed's willing to make new music... He and his brother & kid seem to be able to get together and rehearse. That would be an excellent spring-board for creativity to occur.

You'd think Dave would like to also... But I don't know... there's something a miss and disconnected with Dave and the Van Halens going on. It could be that they are avoiding any casual contact and just allowing formal, booked business obligations to drive collaboration... none of them want to blink first or go out on a limb to try something for fear it could blow up at any bump in the road.

It's just speculation since no communications have come from Roth. I suspect it's beyond whatever legal troubles he's gotten himself shut down in the media. That's a subject that everyone seems to be avoiding, but the silent elephant in the room keeps growing. WTF?
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                    Meanwhile, Dave has created new stuff with John 5 and it just languishes...
                    Because Dave knows deep down that the "5" in John 5 represents the number of people who would be interested in actually hearing it. Let's face it....Dave is OVERJOYED about being back in the public eye and the mainstream media, and he knows the reason for it is named "Edward Van Halen."

Any music he releases on his own, whether it's with John 5 or anybody else, will not get him appearances on daytime or late night talk shows, or huge music awards shows.

"Love the craft. Or love the buck." I think it's pretty clear what Dave's choice is.
                    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                      I don't think that Ed wants to give any appearances that he's taking the "Hagar" path of creating new bands on a whim.

And if Ed's nostalgic, that's cool with me. He's made peace with the past and has learned to enjoy it.

I don't think he's dry...he's just content. If/when the restlessness hits, he'll start producing.

Comment

• Edwards3rdWife
                        Groupie
                        • May 2013

What I don't understand is the " Dave can't hit the high notes anymore " bullshit. I listen to the VH catalog almost every day. Didn't Edward have to tune down to David's lower register back in the day ? Did David ever sing high like he's doing now, except maybe to scream or wail ? When he talks on ADKOT, he's low and sexy like normal. Is the loss of Michael affecting his register, as in him believing he has to compensate - even tho there is really no need to ? I don't understand.
                        I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault, and I have no faults - DLR

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Edwards3rdWife
                          What I don't understand is the " Dave can't hit the high notes anymore " bullshit. I listen to the VH catalog almost every day. Didn't Edward have to tune down to David's lower register back in the day ? Did David ever sing high like he's doing now, except maybe to scream or wail ? When he talks on ADKOT, he's low and sexy like normal. Is the loss of Michael affecting his register, as in him believing he has to compensate - even tho there is really no need to ? I don't understand.
                          The loss of Mike is affecting the harmonies, it's not affecting Dave personally.

Wolfgang takes care of the higher register stuff...but not with the same quality as Mike.

None of us understand what is going on with Dave, so you're not alone. All we do know for sure is that he's doing things with what's left of his voice that are completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

The reason why remains a complete mystery.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by twonabomber
                            That will be the next breakup. "Fuckin' Dave, man. He never does anything I ask, doesn't want to sing any of the deep cuts..."
                            I'm guessing that you're speaking for Ed there...and I would 100% agree with him if it goes down that way.

They've milked the "greatest hits" cow for 8 years now with the exception of ADKOT, a solid record that saw very little representation on the tours.

Without another new record, there's nothing I want to hear or see live EXCEPT the deep cuts.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

Because Dave knows deep down that the "5" in John 5 represents the number of people who would be interested in actually hearing it. Let's face it....Dave is OVERJOYED about being back in the public eye and the mainstream media, and he knows the reason for it is named "Edward Van Halen."

Any music he releases on his own, whether it's with John 5 or anybody else, will not get him appearances on daytime or late night talk shows, or huge music awards shows.

"Love the craft. Or love the buck." I think it's pretty clear what Dave's choice is.
                              If that's the case, then why bother making an album with John 5 (or anybody else) at all? He could've just as easily done more coke, gotten more tats, try to hide his Parkinson's, or whatever else people think he does/needs to do with his time.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It is concerning though that Dave's got a new record and tour to promote... but he's gone about as quiet as Alex Van Halen. Very uncharacteristic and I highly doubt there's no media interest in talking to Dave and reporting what has to say...
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...