Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DR CHIP
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

And I won't say Ed is even good at this point...

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
      Banned
      • May 2004

Originally posted by DR CHIP
      It's without question not the most difficult of the Van Halen compositions...AND it is a Carlos Montoya rip off..Ed himself said he saw this cat Montoya play and couldn't do it himself so he half-assed it and recorded Spanish Fly...

I don't think Dave would say he was even a good guitar player...
      Wrong...lol. You're referring to the intro to Little Guitars....had to school ya.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
        Banned
        • May 2004

And I won't say Ed is even good at this point...
        LOL....of course not, that would make sense! Cant break your streak yet.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
          Banned
          • May 2004

It's without question not the most difficult of the Van Halen compositions...AND it is a Carlos Montoya rip off..Ed himself said he saw this cat Montoya play and couldn't do it himself so he half-assed it and recorded Spanish Fly...

Spanish Fly actually is a rippin' piece. Ted Templeman saw Ed playing on an acoustic and asked if he could do an Eruption-like piece on that guitar. It was on New Year's Eve when he asked him this, right before they were done recording VH 2.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
            Banned
            • May 2004

Another thing....the thing that Montoya was doing that Ed was referring to (when talking about the intro to Little Guitars) is called Flailing. It's what many Flamenco guitarists do....very tough. I've yet to see ANY rock player do it, not even Steve Morse.....he's one who's tried many picking styles, too.

Comment

• DR CHIP
              Foot Soldier
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EddieFan4Eva
              Wrong...lol. You're referring to the intro to Little Guitars....had to school ya.
              I think that Spanish Fly IS the Montoya rip off...I could be wrong...have been many times...

I like it don't get me wrong but it is NOT the most difficult VH piece by any stretch...IMHO....

The intro tapping isn't difficult and the tapping in general on the piece is fairly straight forward...the runs could be difficult depending upon one's ability, but still straight forward....

the 2-4-1 pull off though in the middle is my favorite part...used to be a bitch to get back to the 1....

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
                Banned
                • May 2004

I think that Spanish Fly IS the Montoya rip off...I could be wrong...have been many times...

I like it don't get me wrong but it is NOT the most difficult VH piece by any stretch...IMHO....

The intro tapping isn't difficult and the tapping in general on the piece is fairly straight forward...the runs could be difficult depending upon one's ability, but still straight forward....

the 2-4-1 pull off though in the middle is my favorite part...used to be a bitch to get back to the 1....

I can play it, too....i think it's one of his coolest things. He played it to perfection in Hartford recently. Thing is...on a shitty acoustic, that can be a bitch to execute, which was the case on that recording. And that fast ascending run, it was ripped off by sooooo many players. George Lynch cloned it for the solo to Into The Fire by Dokken.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

Anyway, the Little Guitars Intro was the Montoya thing.

Comment

• DR CHIP
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Here is an excerpt from a guitar interview....

Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something

Comment

• DR CHIP
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jan 2004

I believe the article was written before Little guitars was ever recorded...

Who got schooled?

Comment

• bru87tr
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2004

BURN!
                        "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• Cathedral
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EddieFan4Eva
                          I can play it, too....i think it's one of his coolest things. He played it to perfection in Hartford recently. Thing is...on a shitty acoustic, that can be a bitch to execute, which was the case on that recording. And that fast ascending run, it was ripped off by sooooo many players. George Lynch cloned it for the solo to Into The Fire by Dokken.
                          Didn't Ed use the nylon stringed classical guitar for that piece?
                          It would be so much easier witht he wider neck and more forgiving strings as far as action goes.

It is a total bitch on steel with stiffer action, not impossible though.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                            Didn't Ed use the nylon stringed classical guitar for that piece?
                            It would be so much easier witht he wider neck and more forgiving strings as far as action goes.

It is a total bitch on steel with stiffer action, not impossible though.
                            I think it was a nylon string.....but he has strong hands, so i hear....so it's hard to tell.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

I believe the article was written before Little guitars was ever recorded...

Who got schooled?
                              You're wrong bud.....sorry. That was after 1982 that he discussed the Montoya thing.

Comment

• EddieFan4Eva
                                Banned
                                • May 2004

Here is an excerpt from a guitar interview....

Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/arch...nhalen80.shtml
                                Then he's quoted talking about Montoya on different occasions....'cause he went on about that concerning the tremelo-picked part of the intro to Little Guiitars.

Comment

Working...