New EVH interview (Washington Post, April 2nd)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neuralfraud
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    What does he mean they didn't have time to record anything? When you're not working a day job, don't you have more time than you know what to do with? How long did VH II take to record?
    Quite simple. When you're 26, that two weeks is 0.13% of your time on this planet. When you're 60, that turns into 40 weeks. Nearly a fucking year! And rather than write music, they supposedly wasted all that time trying to "fix up the bootlegs". So there you go!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

"When it came to doing a live record, none of us wanted to sit there and listen to 200 shows to pick the best one. So we left it up to Dave."

I feel like I just found my car, with no tires, sitting on cynder blocks. Actually, way worse. I could always get new tires.

Laziest. Band. Ever.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I, politely, voiced my displeasure with the content of that interview at the VHND board and they took it down in 1 minute. Total snow job, this band.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
          "When it came to doing a live record, none of us wanted to sit there and listen to 200 shows to pick the best one. So we left it up to Dave."

I feel like I just found my car, with no tires, sitting on cynder blocks. Actually, way worse. I could always get new tires.

Laziest. Band. Ever.
          Yep too much work involved so I guess Dave takes the hit. What a bunch BS...

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Dave picked the show ????
            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Are you excited to get back on the road?

A: Yeah! We are going out in July. We just did Jimmy Kimmel and the Ellen show. All of a sudden, [David Lee Roth] wants to do the live stuff. We said, “OK, great!” He never wanted to do it before.

Q: What was special about that night that made for such a great CD?

A: In the old days, to make a live record, you had to have a mobile truck following you everywhere and all the BS that comes along with it. Not to mention the money it costs. Nowadays, we’ve got a Pro Tools rig out by the console, and we just let it run every night. We have a couple hundred shows archived.

When it came to doing a live record, none of us wanted to sit there and listen to 200 shows to pick the best one. So we left it up to Dave.

[Drummer] Alex [Van Halen], [bassist] Wolfgang [Van Halen] and I were pretty consistent every night, [but] for a singer it’s more difficult. Because if the bus ride is too long, or you slept with the air conditioner on or the heater on and your throat is [messed] up, [it can change his voice].

Dave said, “How about Tokyo Dome?” We said fine. The bonus of that show was we didn’t have an opening act. So we played much longer. It’s about a 2-hour show. We got Bob Clearmountain to mix it. We were pretty involved with the mixing. Once we got the instruments sounding the way we wanted, we just let him go. He would send us mixes, and we would say, “Yeah, it sounds great. As long as you hear all the instruments and the vocals, that’s all you need.”

Q: Last time you toured, Wolfgang assembled the set list. Did he do it this time, and are you playing any songs this time out you didn’t play during the last tour?

A: That is yet to be seen. I’m hoping to play some other songs, but a lot of times that comes down to what Dave will sing and what he won’t. Wolf and I talk all the time and say, “Let’s throw this in. Let’s throw that in.” Ultimately, if Dave doesn’t want to sing them, then we can’t do them. I would love to throw in “Drop Dead Legs” and “Light Up the Sky.” All kinds of stuff. I think it would be a treat for the audience. Maybe we can convince him this time around

Q: How are things between you and David Lee Roth these days?

A: He is always off doing his own thing. Getting tattoos in Japan. He’s got an apartment over there. He’s got an apartment in New York. The relationship has always been the same, really. Just because he quit back in 1985 to pursue a solo career, the press I think made a bigger to-do out of our relationship being sour than we did, you know what I mean?

When [my son] Wolfgang joined the band, he was actually responsible for calling Dave and getting him back in the band.

Q: Will there ever be another Van Halen studio album?

A: After this touring cycle, we will probably hunker down and do a studio record. We certainly have enough material. It is a matter of timing and getting everybody together. That’s the only way it can be done.

We put out [“A Different Kind of Truth”] in 2012. But then you go onstage and play those new songs, and the audience looks at you like, “What’s this?” They really want to hear the classics.

Q: Is it frustrating that when you play a new song, the audience makes a beer run?

A: It’s kind of a double-edged sword. Thank God we have so many career tunes that people want to hear — songs they grew up on and that bring back memories of where they were and what party they were at and what chick they were with.

That’s what they remember and want to get back to. But at the same time, it would be nice to be able to put out new music that people would give a chance. Maybe 10 years from now stuff off of “A Different Kind of Truth” will be considered classic and people will want to hear those.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3WFAoXC6O
              Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

My head just popped off. I'm not even sure where it is or how I'm typing this right now.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                  "the tapes are lost" ...

Yeah, sure.
                  I'm surprised you have trouble with that.

40 year old 1/4 inch tape? That stuff was expensive, when you did a demo you would have to pay a tape charge based on how much you used and it took up space. Over the years stuff would get taped over deliberately or by mistake or just plain lost.

Happened to me when I went back looking for stuff from a studio in the 90s 10 years on never mind 40.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                    Full Member Status

• May 2010

I don't think you want to change club days too much, but I hear Ed . I don't like how thin and deep down in the recording the band sounds ...but like the live stuff there is probably 12 songs from the club days that are releasable.

I do think the Demos being "lost" means out of reach financially.

I do think both above sentences actually should read.. we looked at...(...insert anything imaginable, other than current line up music) and the lawyers wanted our taint skin prints in order to get it done.

Why should they put out something that some manager from 1976 owns 40 % of still....those millions would still be great split by the band.. but not when you already have 50 mil in the bank.

Descent 2015 tour and possibly a new release next summer or fall...sounds good.

Much easier than negotiating for 10 months with lawyers to get the other shit done.
                    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Are you excited to get back on the road?

A: Yeah! We are going out in July. We just did Jimmy Kimmel and the Ellen show. All of a sudden, [David Lee Roth] wants to do the live stuff. We said, “OK, great!” He never wanted to do it before.

Q: What was special about that night that made for such a great CD?

A: In the old days, to make a live record, you had to have a mobile truck following you everywhere and all the BS that comes along with it. Not to mention the money it costs. Nowadays, we’ve got a Pro Tools rig out by the console, and we just let it run every night. We have a couple hundred shows archived.

When it came to doing a live record, none of us wanted to sit there and listen to 200 shows to pick the best one. So we left it up to Dave.

[Drummer] Alex [Van Halen], [bassist] Wolfgang [Van Halen] and I were pretty consistent every night, [but] for a singer it’s more difficult. Because if the bus ride is too long, or you slept with the air conditioner on or the heater on and your throat is [messed] up, [it can change his voice].

Dave said, “How about Tokyo Dome?” We said fine. The bonus of that show was we didn’t have an opening act. So we played much longer. It’s about a 2-hour show. We got Bob Clearmountain to mix it. We were pretty involved with the mixing. Once we got the instruments sounding the way we wanted, we just let him go. He would send us mixes, and we would say, “Yeah, it sounds great. As long as you hear all the instruments and the vocals, that’s all you need.”

Q: Last time you toured, Wolfgang assembled the set list. Did he do it this time, and are you playing any songs this time out you didn’t play during the last tour?

A: That is yet to be seen. I’m hoping to play some other songs, but a lot of times that comes down to what Dave will sing and what he won’t. Wolf and I talk all the time and say, “Let’s throw this in. Let’s throw that in.” Ultimately, if Dave doesn’t want to sing them, then we can’t do them. I would love to throw in “Drop Dead Legs” and “Light Up the Sky.” All kinds of stuff. I think it would be a treat for the audience. Maybe we can convince him this time around

Q: How are things between you and David Lee Roth these days?

A: He is always off doing his own thing. Getting tattoos in Japan. He’s got an apartment over there. He’s got an apartment in New York. The relationship has always been the same, really. Just because he quit back in 1985 to pursue a solo career, the press I think made a bigger to-do out of our relationship being sour than we did, you know what I mean?

When [my son] Wolfgang joined the band, he was actually responsible for calling Dave and getting him back in the band.

Q: Will there ever be another Van Halen studio album?

A: After this touring cycle, we will probably hunker down and do a studio record. We certainly have enough material. It is a matter of timing and getting everybody together. That’s the only way it can be done.

We put out [“A Different Kind of Truth”] in 2012. But then you go onstage and play those new songs, and the audience looks at you like, “What’s this?” They really want to hear the classics.

Q: Is it frustrating that when you play a new song, the audience makes a beer run?

A: It’s kind of a double-edged sword. Thank God we have so many career tunes that people want to hear — songs they grew up on and that bring back memories of where they were and what party they were at and what chick they were with.

That’s what they remember and want to get back to. But at the same time, it would be nice to be able to put out new music that people would give a chance. Maybe 10 years from now stuff off of “A Different Kind of Truth” will be considered classic and people will want to hear those.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3WFAoXC6O
                      Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Oh my it's all Dave's fault

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm surprised you have trouble with that.

40 year old 1/4 inch tape? That stuff was expensive, when you did a demo you would have to pay a tape charge based on how much you used and it took up space. Over the years stuff would get taped over deliberately or by mistake or just plain lost.

Happened to me when I went back looking for stuff from a studio in the 90s 10 years on never mind 40.
                        The original masters to that demo is a large, glowing nugget of gold in the WB vault. Not a doubt in my mind.

Too much personal expense to attain coupled with laziness and lawyer mumbo jumbo is far more plausible than, "I opened my pristinely kept vault only to find that my copies of the the tapes were not on the shelf where I know I left them"

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

those tapes are not made of steel...they disperse...when Queen revisited the original master of Bohemian Rhapsody they were hardly able to run it again and had to give it a special procedure. so it is possible that these tapes are gone when somebody at WB asked the threshold worker to check the old shit in the storage if it's still running or not.
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Why would Warner Brothers have them at all never mind in a vault?

They were recorded long before they signed with WB.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

wai...wai...wait...they sure as hell went into the studio with more than VH I and recorded a lot of stuff. Ted Templeman had to chose and work from that. common workflow even back then.
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

We are talking about the Warner Bros. demos, right? Were those not on WB's dime with Ted producing them? Hell, Ted's even singing with Dave on them.

Comment

Working...