• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

First impression: Van Halen, "Tokyo Dome: VH in Concert"

Democratherald

Ever since David Lee Roth returned in '07, I've wondered if he's the lab rat in an elaborate experiment, where Eddie and Alex Van Halen exact revenge on the diehards who insist the group is lost without him. If "Tokyo Dome," recorded in 2013, proves anything, it's that Diamond Dave serves at the brothers' pleasure, and that they, through nightly demonstrations of instrumental dynamism, wield the real power. Remember who needs who, buddy. Remember who signs the checks.

Roth's pipes remain reliably inconsistent, limping past howlers, boomeranging from impressive explosions to wet-cat scat, and stumbling chagrined through "Hot for Teacher" (lead-in: "And the Cradle Will Rock ... , " natch), but you can't blame him, since it's mutated from ribald juvenile fantasy to social epidemic. Yet he's retained his usual charm as host, engaging Tokyo in its native tongue, although when he asks, "How are we doing so far tonight?" during a shambolic "Unchained," it sounds more like apology than repartee. Eddie's son Wolfgang has acclimated to Michael Anthony's shadow as a passable bassist/vocal support. However, while he nails the general vicinity of his predecessor's range, he lacks that firework wallop (see: "Women in Love").

Alternately overlong and unsatisfying -- a frustrating appraisal of a set fat with pleasers (dump " Tattoo" and replace it with, I dunno, "Little Dreamer") -- "Tokyo" comes alive precisely once, near the end, with a titanic "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," where at last the rock gods parry and feast. Good news for Dave, since such performances keep him out of soup lines. Bad news for listeners demanding more. A worthy live document is out there somewhere. It may even be possible now. Only stray traces exist on this sunken ship.
  • clarathecarrot
    Full Member Status

• May 2010

I always love a writer who needs a new pool filter and their "takes" on important "things".

Elvis'specialy when somewhere in their reporting they also want to rule the world with Nazi propaganda ..like....

fat with pleasers (dump " Tattoo" and replace it with, I dunno, "Little Dreamer") --
    Figures you would like this Elvis on another station that Nazi cunt Walter Cronkite just told the world how to be ashamed and what we need to do to win the war in Vietnam...you know his way to win the war.

Cause he is all knowing and all powerful manipulator of small minds...

His way to run VanHalen.

ElValen Unite!!!
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• VAiN
      Use my hand, I won't look
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

That reviewer is clearly not a Dave guy..
      Originally posted by wiseguy
      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

He is another clone of something that never was he has a tweed blazer and rock glass half full of single malt scotch no ice, on a table in front of a typewriter and he runs his hands thru his grease JFK style hairdo furrows his brow and contemplates the world greatest novel he will never write because he is a clown of a book he read by a writer who had picture on the back jacket in that pose.

But he Prostitutes himself for a new pool filter by badmouthing people who work for a living.
        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Blah blah blah...

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
            Veteran
            • Apr 2004

I enjoyed the new live CD. I saw a lot of "hate" for the CD on Itunes to. Take it for what it is, is it 1983? no. Does Dave have the greatest voice anymore? No, but it still rocks and they're having a good time!
            http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
            Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
            Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

If you listen to 'I'm the One' I wonder why people detest Dave playing with the vocal melody on the first verse but are happy enough with Ed not playing any of the solos the same as the album?

Comment

• blueturk
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

Why Wait This Fucking Long?

Why now? Let's face it, this is not the live album you always wanted to hear. Contrary to not so popular belief, Dave could belt out the songs quite well live during the CVH era, and this should have been represented a long time ago. Remaster some of the old shows and let's hear Dave in his prime. "Sonic Tokyo" anyone?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We're being told by Ed that the recordings don't exist or where they do the sound quality isn't acceptable enough.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    We're being told by Ed that the recordings don't exist or where they do the sound quality isn't acceptable enough.
                    Uh-huh, right. I still have earaches and back pain from seeing this dufus live in the late seventies/early eighties, where the live sound was ear-bleedingly awful and loud, just about equal to listening to Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", only with a bit more melody.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jetstream
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Dec 2011

If one listens to the whole LP, it is solid. I could give a rat's ass if Dave experiments on Jump, Panama and Dance the Night Away with octaves... Hot For Teacher, Romeo Delight and Everybody Wants Some to name a few are great
                      I got lost in the...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

Experiments ?? No that's just bad singing.

Comment

• blueturk
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2004

What the hell ever. When I saw them in 1981 and '82 in Charlotte they were dead on. Perfect harmonies, great sound. great fucking shows. Maybe you were into Toto at the time and Van Halen was a little too extreme for you back then...

Comment

• blueturk
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Member No
                            Last Online
                            Today @ 10:56 PM
                            Status
                            Thanks
                            Chats

What the hell ever. When I saw them in 1981 and '82 in Charlotte they were dead on. Perfect harmonies, great sound. great fucking shows. Maybe you were into Toto at the time and Van Halen was a little too extreme for you back then.
                            Originally posted by chefcraig
                            Uh-huh, right. I still have earaches and back pain from seeing this dufus live in the late seventies/early eighties, where the live sound was ear-bleedingly awful and loud, just about equal to listening to Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", only with a bit more melody.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by blueturk
                              What the hell ever. When I saw them in 1981 and '82 in Charlotte they were dead on. Perfect harmonies, great sound. great fucking shows. Maybe you were into Toto at the time and Van Halen was a little too extreme for you back then.
                              Toto? Whatever happened to them? In any event, at the time, the only venue you see a band in was an old bunker called the Hollywood Sportatorium. It was basicallya big old concrete rectangle with benches on the sides. and open floor in between them.The sound would blast off the stage, sail over your head as it smacked you in the chest, then continued until it bounced off the back wall of the venue and come winging back to slap you in the back of the head.

The only time you heard the bass was during the solo. The microphones fed back and whined constantly, and the volume that Ed played at meant everything else had to be louder as well.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...