DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    People are moving in here like crazy. One of the few places in the US that has a housing shortage. Lot's to do around here if you like outdoors stuff. Jackson is more for expert skiers. If you like skiing steep and deep and chutes this is the place. If you want a more well rounded skill hill Park City or Sun Valley are better. It's pretty mind boggling when you think about all the ski resorts in the rocky mountain, sierra, and cascade ranges. There are a lot of good ones.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-19-2015 at 01:35 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (04-19-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It sure smells like a money grab doesn't it? I think Eddie is more into his EVH brand and helping Wolfie make a album. I think Al and Dave just want to cash in. Look if you are an aging rock star in a fickle business and you may be looking at another 30 years of old age, you start to fill the nest egg when you can. If we were in their shoes you would be doing the same thing.
    It's not the filling of the nest egg I contest. It's the admittedly lazy manner in which they are going about it. I've been saying for years, "don't they want our money?" referring to the fact that I'd buy nearly anything they threw my way, save a re-re-mastered 6 pack. Ed excused-away doing anything I'd be interested in buying. If the only nest egg filling I am to give him is for an over priced concert ticket, I don't think I'll be giving to him this time around. I'm more excited about the Van Halen Rising book coming out in October.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    It's not the filling of the nest egg I contest. It's the admittedly lazy manner in which they are going about it. I've been saying for years, "don't they want our money?" referring to the fact that I'd buy nearly anything they threw my way, save a re-re-mastered 6 pack. Ed excused-away doing anything I'd be interested in buying. If the only nest egg filling I am to give him is for an over priced concert ticket, I don't think I'll be giving to him this time around. I'm more excited about the Van Halen Rising book coming out in October.
    I wish they were more like KISS. KiSS gets a lot of criticism but I've listened to enough interviews with people who have worked on their crew to other musicians who have worked with them and the one constant I hear is KISS bust their ass to give the fans what they want. It's more than Gene shamelessly merchandising it. Paul is a different mindset than Gene but both those guys know they are the beans in the can and they are the product and the songs, the show, and everything has to meet their expectations and the fans expectations. I remember Geddy Lee saying the pressure is on because the fans know the past RUSH catalog better than he does and he's got to nail the songs or he's going to hear about it. I think it's like running a restaurant. You are only as good as your last meal served. I mean your customers keep you in business but if you serve high quality meals they like you better keep the quality or else. Serve one bad one or screw up in the service and a person who came in for years might not be back and they tell their friends. It's gone downhill. It's not the same. It sucked. Music and entertainment are the same way. Your fans or customers were be fiercely loyal if you give them what they like or shock them with something new they dig. As soon as you don't deliver the goods they are done with you.

5. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-19-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It's easy to give KISS fans what they want. Their music is not very demanding to play...kind of like rock but paint by numbers.

Put on the makeup and blow some stuff up (real good) and there you have it.

Rock and roll (all night) or whatever it is for the encore and audience satisfied.

Other than playing every six pack song during the tour...so having 6 different shows each featuring one of the albums and giving Dave 3 days rest between shows for maximum recovery, I an not sure that would even satisfy everyone.

Some people wont be satisfied until they resurrect the exact stage setup for 1984 and Dave take testosterone injections to bulk up. Oh right, and some want either a return of Mikey or Stone on bass.

They need to do more for sure, but whatever it was, it would never be good enough. I think we might hear new cuts on the upcoming tour HOP, GGB, DDL, etc. That would be a good start

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Geddy Lee cracked me up when he said how did we write such complicated songs when we were high? Niel Piert says Tom Sawyer is a challenge to play well even after years of playing it. I mean RUSH has it tough. That being said Geddy said KISS are the hardest working band in show business. Yeah the songs might be more simple but I think doing the show right is more difficult than one might think. I think the bottom line is if someone likes doing it they still have the enthusiasm and if it becomes old and a chore you have to be a pretty good actor to cover your attitude. I'm sure KISS and RUSH could retire but I think those guys still go out because they like to do it. VH doesn't seem to be driven anymore. It's like the band has taken a back seat to other things in their lives and that's probably what has happened.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    If Elvis wasn't banned, he'd pretend he knew all the technical details.

Fixed.

I don't think that is a faceplate.

Was indeed. Not just his, all of them - that's how they were constructed.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

I wish they were more like KISS. KiSS gets a lot of criticism but I've listened to enough interviews with people who have worked on their crew to other musicians who have worked with them and the one constant I hear is KISS bust their ass to give the fans what they want. It's more than Gene shamelessly merchandising it. Paul is a different mindset than Gene but both those guys know they are the beans in the can and they are the product and the songs, the show, and everything has to meet their expectations and the fans expectations. I remember Geddy Lee saying the pressure is on because the fans know the past RUSH catalog better than he does and he's got to nail the songs or he's going to hear about it. I think it's like running a restaurant. You are only as good as your last meal served. I mean your customers keep you in business but if you serve high quality meals they like you better keep the quality or else. Serve one bad one or screw up in the service and a person who came in for years might not be back and they tell their friends. It's gone downhill. It's not the same. It sucked. Music and entertainment are the same way. Your fans or customers were be fiercely loyal if you give them what they like or shock them with something new they dig. As soon as you don't deliver the goods they are done with you.
    The last Rush tour knocked it out the park. By adding a string section and really cool visuals they managed to turn around their set to the point where the new album section was the highlight of the gig.

It's like Roth Radio again at this point he's too exposed and needs more of a show. A big screen and a couple of people standing on either side of him smiling isn't going to cut it a third time for a lot of the people paying $200 and getting a babysitter for the big night out.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-27-2015 @ 10:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Revealing article (I just finally read).

Ed didn't want a pieced together album:

Van Halen has been aggressive since day one. The rawness of the recording adds to the power. There’s this uncontrolled energy that exists in us that spills over the edges. It’s never really right or perfect, but it creates tension. It’s like, “Okay, who is going to blow it?” [laughs] When you keep waiting for someone to fuck up but no one does, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. It’s just raw. It’s the real thing. If people are expecting a perfect live record, well, then it’s not really live anymore.

I was really bummed when I heard from Andy Johns—rest in peace—that Cream’s “Crossroads” [Wheels of Fire] was put together from different shows! That ruined it for me. I thought it was one performance, but it wasn’t. I don’t know if anybody else has ever put out a live album that is really, truly live.

Here it is. Get over it and forget about it...

People ask why we’ve never released the rest of the 1981 Oakland show that we recorded on video. The reason is because we only recorded three songs—“Unchained,” “Hear About it Later” and “So This Is Love.” We actually filmed those three songs for two nights. On “Unchained” I broke a string the first night, and if you watch the video you can see my guitars change just for a few seconds then switch back. We used the second night of audio, so you can’t hear it, but we used video from both nights. The bottom line is we can’t ever release the whole Oakland show because we didn’t film or record the whole show.

Did not know he had cancer 4 times...pilates LOL...

Ah, to be young…. As you get older you get so many more things to deal with in life. I just turned 60, and my main priority now is to maintain my health. I’ve beaten cancer four times and dealt with other health issues. Now it’s all about working out every day and doing Pilates.

OMG...how will you all go on with your lives if they don't do what you want them to and when you want it?

We just take it as it comes. I’d love to do another studio record if everybody else is up for it. At the end of this tour Wolf is going to finish his record. After that we’ll see. We don’t ever plan that far ahead. That’s how the live album came about. The best things aren’t planned that far in advance. We like to keep it loose.

11. 4 users say thank you to CVH Rulz for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (04-23-2015),Jetstream (04-23-2015),Nitro Express (04-23-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (04-23-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    His wife bought him that jacket
    Yeah, from a back lot sale from the set of "Columbo".

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    You say that like it would be a bad thing.
    Well, yeah...I'd hang it in a closet along with my "Banacek" stuff, yet I'd never wear it in public.

Them NBC Mystery Movies were the ultimate when I was a kid in the 1970's...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CVH Rulz View Post
    OMG...how will you all go on with your lives if they don't do what you want them to and when you want it?
    At this point, now that Ed has tacked on "it was just those 3 songs in Oakland" to his hope-dashing crusade of 2015, I figure I'll get on just fine. Just so EVH understands the mutual agreement with his fans. He doesn't have to give'em what they want, and they don't have to take what he gives. I could be a proud fan, riding off into the sunset with them as the ominous tail-end of As Is blares from the speakers. Or, I could just follow along with a waning enthusiasm and a lot more $ still in my bank account. 'Sall good man.

16. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (04-23-2015)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Mikey's been saying for years they didn't film all of the Oakland shows, no big surprise there. But there's still plenty of stuff there at Ed's (based on that interview with that guy that supposedly began cataloging it a few years back) and obviously Dave has some stuff and we know Mike does. So there's still some hope that some of it will get out there at some point. Can it be cleaned up to make it better than all our old Largo boots? Maybe, maybe not.

Ah, at this point I really don't care. I got my old boots and the records and newer boots. I didn't buy the remasters the last time around so I might pick up the new ones. A new studio record would be nice but whatever.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I guess what I question on the Oakland 81 shows... I was at 2 of the 3 shows. The film crews didn't just set up and come out for 3 songs. They were there and actively working throughout both shows beginning to end. I remember it clearly because it was somewhat distracting and their presence was highly noticeable. This was long before the practice of diamond screens and live video feeds during rock concerts... You rarely saw any type of video cameras unless someone smuggled in a super-8 unit and professional units were too big to go unnoticed.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I guess what I question on the Oakland 81 shows... I was at 2 of the 3 shows. The film crews didn't just set up and come out for 3 songs. They were there and actively working throughout both shows beginning to end. I remember it clearly because it was somewhat distracting and their presence was highly noticeable. This was long before the practice of diamond screens and live video feeds during rock concerts... You rarely saw any type of video cameras unless someone smuggled in a super-8 unit and professional units were too big to go unnoticed.
    Aha! So we're back to the Great Ed Conspiracy! Oh well, I'll just go watch a show that I know was recorded. Cause I like have it right here and stuff.

20. 2 users say thank you to DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-23-2015),PETE'S BROTHER (04-23-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Ah, at this point I really don't care. I got my old boots and the records and newer boots. I didn't buy the remasters the last time around so I might pick up the new ones. A new studio record would be nice but whatever.

And if not you can always pick up the next remasters

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

At all the shows I was front row at, Dave told the audience they were filming, and guys came out with video cameras. Not little super 8 jobs, nice cameras. Of course, the crowd went ballistic. I have a very good friend that worked for the band during the early years, including all of the tours with Dave. He told me there was rarely, if ever, film in those cameras. He said it was all part of the act. Dave's idea to get the crowd even more riled up than they already were.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave said so himself in his book. That's why when he announced there were film cameras at the '08 show I attended, I figured he was pulling chain.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

At all the shows I was front row at, Dave told the audience they were filming, and guys came out with video cameras. Not little super 8 jobs, nice cameras. Of course, the crowd went ballistic. I have a very good friend that worked for the band during the early years, including all of the tours with Dave. He told me there was rarely, if ever, film in those cameras. He said it was all part of the act. Dave's idea to get the crowd even more riled up than they already were.
    That flat out sucks..Why in the hell would you do that? I can see doing it maybe 75% of the time, but if you are gonna have these guys go through the motion then buy a little film!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Al or Ed mentioned the camera stunt in some interview. They were saying Dave came up with all sorts of shit like faking parachuting into a stadium to bringing cameras out.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

So you are telling me he never fucked that guys girlfriend either??

27. 5 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

binnie (04-23-2015),Dave's Bitch (04-23-2015),DLR Bridge (04-23-2015),Nitro Express (04-23-2015),VAiN (04-23-2015)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mikey's been saying for years they didn't film all of the Oakland shows, no big surprise there. But there's still plenty of stuff there at Ed's (based on that interview with that guy that supposedly began cataloging it a few years back) and obviously Dave has some stuff and we know Mike does. So there's still some hope that some of it will get out there at some point. Can it be cleaned up to make it better than all our old Largo boots? Maybe, maybe not.

What Ed has cataloged is his own playing. I don't think he's sitting on old band footage. That would be the record label or whoever was contracted to film. I don't think Ed cared about such things. If anyone has it it would be Dave.

Here's Ed's storage at 5150. It seems to be just his own music made in the studio.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-23-2015 at 12:48 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    So you are telling me he never fucked that guys girlfriend either??
    Every town had the wildest motherfuckers and was the rock and roll capital of the world as well. The joys of the pre internet days. On the Roth Show they admitted if they spent more than two days in any town it was like let's get the hell out of here and as Alex said each new stop was like being reborn, your fuckups stayed in the rear view mirror. Today you couldn't escape it.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-23-2015 at 12:52 PM.

30. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-23-2015)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Alex said each new stop was like being reborn, your fuckups stayed in the rear view mirror. Today you couldn't escape it.
    Ain't that the truth.

I sometimes feel sorry for young people in the public eye. Imagine if everything you said or did at 20 was there for all the world to view.....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Like I said, I'm glad I had my misspent youth in the era I did. Everything being networked is a control freak's wet dream. If anything it's showing us the dirty SOB's we really are and the picture ain't pretty.

33. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

twobad (04-23-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I get that and saw them do that act too previously I think at the Cow Palace in San Francisco... But Oakland 81 was filmed as we know with 3 songs released.

I know the venue really well since I worked sound there for other acts and also performed on that same stage several times. There was a ton of extra equipment for the mobile sound recording unit in there at the main sound board plus a bunch of other gear side-stage for the camera crews.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Aha! So we're back to the Great Ed Conspiracy! Oh well, I'll just go watch a show that I know was recorded. Cause I like have it right here and stuff.
    What Ed fails too mention is they probably have more than A few other pro shot shows/audio of other older shows. And for some reason all these years later the interviewers NEVER ask him or any of these guy's what they do have. It's bullshit. Oakland not filmed, o.k. but other shows have been. Release that shit !!! Oh wait Wolf isn't on them. Fucking can't have that !! Fuck off Ed. Just about done with this new version of the band. Lazy fucks !

36. 3 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (04-23-2015),DLR Bridge (04-23-2015),Von Halen (04-23-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

I get that and saw them do that act too previously I think at the Cow Palace in San Francisco... But Oakland 81 was filmed as we know with 3 songs released.

I know the venue really well since I worked sound there for other acts and also performed on that same stage several times. There was a ton of extra equipment for the mobile sound recording unit in there at the main sound board plus a bunch of other gear side-stage for the camera crews.
    Well duh. Obviously they were recording. We have 3 videos as proof. Doesn't mean anymore than those 3 were recorded. Dumbass.

Seriously though, at that point in time, if VH was only going to record 3 songs, would they have chosen those 3? I gotta believe there were more than just those three songs recorded that night.

I don't know who has or owns the other complete shows we've seen, but I can promise one thing. If I EVER get the chance to say one thing to Edward Van Halen, it's going to be about those shows, and where the fuck they are.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is what I believe, Ed and Dave are getting along great, in other words they are old farts who could give a shit about 20 year old drama tantrums and they have a coexistence comfort and they will now move at what many would consider a snail pace but a pace they have earned. They are like freaking 60, and I think they will record at least two more LPs together and they will be good... and that Oakland show, if there are only three songs, then release those fucking three songs on a EP because why the fuck not for a fan

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Where's the copy of that film inventory showing there were 16 reels of film from those nights?

40. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-24-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Where's the copy of that film inventory showing there were 16 reels of film from those nights?
    I think it was on vhtrading or one of the other old VH boards... I've searched and posted it a few times here. Too lazy to look again...

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If I EVER get the chance to say one thing to Edward Van Halen, it's going to be about those shows, and where the fuck they are.
    And in Ed's next interview he will say that anyone asking him about the show footage will have a restraining order put on them!!

43. Thanked private parts for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-24-2015)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think it was on vhtrading or one of the other old VH boards... I've searched and posted it a few times here. Too lazy to look again...
    Maybe most of that was backstage footage?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Maybe most of that was backstage footage?
    Well that might be more interesting than the show !

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    This is what I believe, Ed and Dave are getting along great, in other words they are old farts who could give a shit about 20 year old drama tantrums and they have a coexistence comfort and they will now move at what many would consider a snail pace but a pace they have earned. They are like freaking 60, and I think they will record at least two more LPs together and they will be good... and that Oakland show, if there are only three songs, then release those fucking three songs on a EP because why the fuck not for a fan
    I doubt that they're cosy. They probably spend as little time together as possible for the greater good.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I Alwsys thought Dave would be hard to get along with cant imagine he isn't self absorbed. Now he would be a nightmare. "Let me tell you about wrestling beebaladoozybop" twitch twitch.

48. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (04-24-2015)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

'I was talking with my new sheep-dog last night about which flat cap looks best...'

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think a lot of people here are more serious about Van Halen than Van Halen is... meaning they are in their sixties and rather comfortable taking the 'fuck it' mode of operation to the next level. Dave and Ed no longer have any vested energy to hate one another, and live a serene (hence, the money) world of convenience (sort of like some old married couple who might bitch about each other all the time but stay together no matter what happens because it is familiar to them and the older you get, the less you like change) lol
    Last edited by Jetstream; 04-24-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2023 @ 05:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone always says Dave is always ready to work. I bet Dave is always ready to work until you are, then he has other plans already.

52. 4 users say thank you to TwoFoolsAMinute for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-25-2015),Nickdfresh (04-24-2015),Von Halen (04-26-2015),ZahZoo (04-25-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Thread Information