Thread: EVH - Guitar World June 2015 Cover

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFoolsAMinute View Post
    Everyone always says Dave is always ready to work. I bet Dave is always ready to work until you are, then he has other plans already.
    Well Ed has what ? 365 day's a year too come up with some riffs for Dave too write a song to. Hardly seems like enough time. Got striped guitars too sell ( even though in the old days he painted his because he was pissed people copied it ) Flip flops and Amps that never sounded as good as his original Marshall. On and on. At the end of this year his bass player will probably stall out plans for a new album because he is doing his own. ( but you can't be in 2 bands when you work with Ed !) On and on bullshit..................
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

atomicpnk47 (04-25-2015)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

All three Oakland shows were filmed in their entirety and audio from Anaheim and another cali date that tour was also recorded. I have seen about an hour of one one of the Oakland shows years ago which was shown by Peter. For whatever reason they do not like them. Mike has repeated the company line but has also said many times in not very private settings they were all recorded. Probably won't come out till after EVH has no say but it is simply a load of crap to say only filmed 3 songs when even the vidoes show footage filmed from more than that. I'm sure the footage still exists somewhere or at least it did about 10 years ago,
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Never was for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (06-13-2015)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    All three Oakland shows were filmed in their entirety and audio from Anaheim and another cali date that tour was also recorded. I have seen about an hour of one one of the Oakland shows years ago which was shown by Peter. For whatever reason they do not like them. Mike has repeated the company line but has also said many times in not very private settings they were all recorded. Probably won't come out till after EVH has no say but it is simply a load of crap to say only filmed 3 songs when even the vidoes show footage filmed from more than that. I'm sure the footage still exists somewhere or at least it did about 10 years ago,

Yeah, especially when at the end of Unchained they list the band members and the credits roll....

Doubt you would do that if you're only recording three songs....

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think at this point the hype of Oakland means the reality of the full show which none of the band members including roth liked means the band is almost better off letting the hype live and just eating the footage.

The crew were sent it by Warner and apparently never really coordinated with the band so the footage was not well done at all and the videos almost all from show 3 and the audio is mostly from the other two audio only cali shows. The footage I saw was great as a fan but there were indeed times when the cameramen looked lost on what was going on which would explain the final vids being so heavily sliced. There has also been a long standing issue that multiple parties claim to own the rights.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

I read long ago that the entire reason for Diver Down being so heavy on cover songs, was because the original plan was for Van Halen to release an official live album from the Fair Warning tour, and then the band could take some time to write the next record. After all, Fair Warning was the first album they really had to write from scratch (Mean Street coming from "Voodoo Queen" being the one exception) as the first three records mostly came from material they had been playing in clubs for years before they were signed.

Don't remember who it was who pulled the plug on the live album, but end result was that Warner Brothers insisted on an album anyway, so based on that short notice, you got an album that was half cover tunes, and even of the originals (Hang Em High) was a rewrite of a song from the club days/1977 demo tape.

I suppose it's possible that somebody erased those master tapes, but VERY unlikely. Van Halen was one of the biggest bands in the world at the time, just about a year or so before they would headline the US Festival. I honestly can't believe it's never found a way into the bootleg market. The situation would be comparable to the Stones "Brussels Affair" album which was intended for an official release in 1974, but pulled back at the last minute..... and eventually became one of the best selling bootlegs in history.

By the way, the Stones finally wised up and released it. Even though they waited 40 years or so. Pay attention, Eddie.....

8. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (06-13-2015),Never was (06-12-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I've been saying this for years... I was at 2 of the 3 Oakland shows. There were film crews and a mobile recording unit busily working throughout the whole shows.

10. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Never was (06-13-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I've been saying this for years... I was at 2 of the 3 Oakland shows. There were film crews and a mobile recording unit busily working throughout the whole shows.
    Look, my memory is a complete and total car wreck, but I'm fairly certain (he says, on shaking legs) that YOU was the fellow that tracked down and posted a receipt that listed the actual recording of the Oak. shows from a film company. If in fact it was you, do you still have a link to that data?

If I am mistaken, apologies and so forth...yet those images were the most concrete affirmation that the filming/recording of the Oak. shows ever took place.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Look, my memory is a complete and total car wreck, but I'm fairly certain (he says, on shaking legs) that YOU was the fellow that tracked down and posted a receipt that listed the actual recording of the Oak. shows from a film company. If in fact it was you, do you still have a link to that data?

If I am mistaken, apologies and so forth...yet those images were the most concrete affirmation that the filming/recording of the Oak. shows ever took place.

Here was my thread from '04....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...1&daysprune=-1

Another thread from '09, with Zah's mention of the warehouse, as well as MA's interview about the shows....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...akland-Footage

Jeff's post on VHND from '09....

http://www.vhnd.com/2009/03/19/the-v...en-holy-grail/

13. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (06-13-2015),FORD (06-13-2015)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Cool

In truth, I wrote the "Holy Grail" thread for the VHND back then. And I'm still clueless as to ever finding the truth about this shit.

It's more or less like trying to discover what really happened in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947, finding Bigfoot, or Elvis working at a gas/convenience store somewhere far removed from the turnpike.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

So the first page of those notes would seem to indicate some sort of live video project being in production in February 1985. Presumably pulled the plug on that in April when the band broke up. And instead, they put out that dreadful "Live Without A Singer" video a year later.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

But waiting for "Live in Tokyo with chromeDome" makes up for it. If Dave hadn't walked away, MAYBE they could've pieced a live album together back then. But he walked away, and soon after as Ed himself said about Dave, " the magic" was "gone".

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Here was my thread from '04....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...1&daysprune=-1

Another thread from '09, with Zah's mention of the warehouse, as well as MA's interview about the shows....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...akland-Footage

Jeff's post on VHND from '09....

http://www.vhnd.com/2009/03/19/the-v...en-holy-grail/

Did anyone ask Peter Angelus about it? He use to state he felt he owned the rights and would show the first show from time to time which is what I saw. I doubt it was the original but he had a dupe of the original and it was indeed in its entirety. That was about a decade ago. Has he spoken since?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Noel Monk also claims to own it, as does Warner Bros. (who likely does), EVH denies its existence, and Dave's only comment off record was the footage was awful. Where the truth lies likely depends who talk to.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Did anyone ask Peter Angelus about it?
    It's called a non disclosure.

Have you ever wondered why anyone ever associated with Dave has never talked? I mean really talked?

20. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (06-15-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    It's called a non disclosure.

Have you ever wondered why anyone ever associated with Dave has never talked? I mean really talked?
    I'd suspect the expiration date on many of those non-disclosure agreements are long past and not worth the bar napkin they were written on... Not to mention most of the subject matter covered here isn't anything worth keeping close to the chest.

Whatever exists in the vaults and the legal ownership needs to be addressed... That's usually best if done before the dirt naps commence...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd suspect the expiration date on many of those non-disclosure agreements are long past and not worth the bar napkin they were written on...
    Next time you run into one of Dave's former employees, maybe you should ask them about an expiration date, and if it's worth testing whether or not they're "worth the bar napkin they were written on".

Keep in mind, when I say "employees", I'm not just talking about the guy that carries his luggage or teaches him Japanese. Do you believe Vai was an employee? Do you believe Sheehan was an employee? Do you believe every band member Dave has had since 1985 was an employee?

I'm betting you won't get anything remotely controversial, or anything Dave wouldn't say himself, on the record, out of a one of them.

It amazes me that after all these years, people still think Dave has never dotted all his i's, and crossed all his t's.

23. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (06-16-2015)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I believe the legal relationships and contractual agreements within the constructs of the LLC's written among the artists/musicians that worked "with" Dave... not sure if Vai & Sheehan's deals were working "for" Dave... but those are real and most likely don't expire. Although I don't know what exactly we're talking in terms of content regarding non-disclosure. After Dave's 1st solo venture... I'd believe it's was working "for" Dave, though.

Frankly I'm not sure I understand what all the secrecy matters beyond gossip crap and disclosure of substance abuse activities that falls under all this dotting of "i's" and crossed "t's"... We're talking a whacked out rock musician... not the leader of the free world here.

But more to the point... I don't see where any legal ramifications would exist if someone associated with Van Halen from 1978 - 1985 were to confirm the whereabouts and condition of any archival material.

That was my point... not adding another stupid pedestal of black-hat secrecy to worship Dave's superior business minded balls as Von does...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I believe the legal relationships and contractual agreements within the constructs of the LLC's written among the artists/musicians that worked "with" Dave... not sure if Vai & Sheehan's deals were working "for" Dave... but those are real and most likely don't expire. Although I don't know what exactly we're talking in terms of content regarding non-disclosure. After Dave's 1st solo venture... I'd believe it's was working "for" Dave, though.

Frankly I'm not sure I understand what all the secrecy matters beyond gossip crap and disclosure of substance abuse activities that falls under all this dotting of "i's" and crossed "t's"... We're talking a whacked out rock musician... not the leader of the free world here.

But more to the point... I don't see where any legal ramifications would exist if someone associated with Van Halen from 1978 - 1985 were to confirm the whereabouts and condition of any archival material.

That was my point... not adding another stupid pedestal of black-hat secrecy to worship Dave's superior business minded balls as Von does...
    Well Zah, feel free to try to get any of them to say anything of relevance, about Dave, his business, or his personal life. Give Angelus a call. Or Big Ed. Or, if you want the answer to "with" or "for", give Vai or Sheehan a call.

You might be surprised at what the ramifications might be for someone previously employed by this band, or factions of it, if they were to talk about vaulted material, or whatever. Sure doesn't seem anyone ever associated with them, is willing to take that chance.

If this weren't the case, I'd be posting the pictures I've personally seen of Van Halen performing outdoors at the Bay City High School in Bay City, Michigan. These pics need to be seen by the fans. They are fucking amazing. But, I don't know they ever will be. Fear is keeping me from getting them posted on this site. Fear of the mighty Van Halen, that goes back to before they blew Black Sabbath off the stage.

Now, feel free to resume worshipping my balls, Zah.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Worship your own balls, ya old fuck!!

I can only imagine as I doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to ask any of those guys anything... the mountains of unremarkable information that they won't disclose.

But it does make me wonder... why all the sworn secrecy? Personal stuff makes sense... what was recorded and who's sitting on it, not so much.

27. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (06-16-2015)

Thread Information