Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why The Diamond One is the Man!

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Paul Stanley, Geoff Tate, Ronnie James Dio......Dave is sadly not in that league any longer. He still laughs louder than anybody else at his own jokes though, so there's that.

Not a single one of them "Throat Sing". Tyler is a screech in full voice and Halford is just full voice. Plant has never done it on record. Dio certainly did not. Lol Freddie Mercury singing "On Fire"...nope never heard him sing anything close. So no one on your two lists could do it, we would have heard them do it on record or in a concert ipso factso. Of course Current Steel Panther frontman can do the "throat sing" but if you notice, he cannot do the nuances that Dave Used to be able to do with it.

1. 0:00 - Some easy second octave singing from "Relentless", bottoming at E2.
    2. 0:10 - An a cappella-style bass part bottoming at C♯2 from "No Big 'Ting".
    3. 0:27 - A line of resonant C2s from "Counter-Blast", preceded by a yelped Eâ™*5 and F♯5.
    4. 0:34 - A really cool bassy passage from "Honeybabysweetiedoll", starting around F2 and trailing down to a few D2s, C2s and a short B1.
    5. 0:48 - A rapped section down to B1 from the Urban NYC remix of "You're Breathin' It". It's surprising how well Roth pulls off this style!
    6. 1:06 - Really strong sung B1s from "Let It All Hang Out", with casual E2s in between.
    7. 1:28 - A neat spoken passage from "Slam Dunk!", reaching lots of strong Bâ™*1s and a couple of short G♯1s.
    8. 1:43 - An appearance by Roth on the program I Love the '90s, where he imitates Garth Brooks by singing "Friends in Low Places" down the octave, hitting a remarkably strong A1!
    9. 1:50 - A long low passage from "If 6 Was 9", with lots of strong dips down to Bâ™*1s and G♯1s, followed by a parlando that starts out around Eâ™*2 and trails down to B1, before finally capping it all off with a line sung up to Eâ™*5!
    10. 2:53 - Some seriously sinister lows from "The Trouble with Never", reaching multiple G♯1s and a few short G1s. Roth sounds legitimately intimidating here!
    11. 3:26 - Some beefy low singing down to G1 from "Tight".
    12. 3:40 - A parlando from "Let It All Hang Out", starting out around some booming B1s and trailing down to multiple G♯1s, as well as touching on a couple of G1s and an F♯1!
    13. 4:02 - Multiple A1s and a somewhat quiet but solid F♯1 from "Me Wise Magic"!
    14. 4:22 - Roth's lowest note to date: an E1 from "Last Call"!
    15. 4:29 - To start off the highs we have some tasteful singing up to A4 from "Tell the Truth", one of Roth's more emotional(!) songs.
    16. 4:45 - Great jazzy singing up to some impressively supported A4s from "She's Lookin' Good". This is another style that Roth's voice suits very naturally.
    17. 5:04 - Some MANIC singing up to B4 from "It's Showtime!". This is one song that really shows how much energy Roth can channel into a single performance!
    18. 5:26 - Belted lines on C5 from "Me Wise Magic", followed by some cleanly sung A4s.
    19. 5:40 - A strong Bâ™*4 with a D5 harmony, followed by an epic sustained C5 over an E5 in the backing vocal! From "Baby's on Fire".
    20. 5:51 - Some really nice soulful singing on C♯5 from "Night Life", probably one of Roth's best vocal performances.
    21. 6:05 - Belting up to C5 and D5 from "Big Train", with one short yelped F5.
    22. 6:19 - Some cool singing between B4 and D5 from "Me Wise Magic", as well as a couple of short Eâ™*5s.
    23. 6:45 - Intense belting up to Eâ™*5 from "Indeedido".
    24. 7:08 - Entire lines on Eâ™*5 from the swing version of "Ice Cream Man"! This version of the song easily beats Van Halen rendition, in my opinion.
    25. 7:15 - Better yet, here's an entire line belted on E5 from "Little Texas"! This is immediately followed by some singing up to C5 too, no less.
    26. 7:23 - A strong sustained E5 from the ending of "Blacklight".
    27. 7:30 - Crazy F5 wails from the ending of "She's My Machine". Almost reminds me of Robert Plant!
    28. 7:54 - Solid F♯5s from the last chorus of "Slam Dunk!".
    29. 8:10 - And now the big surprise: a sung G5(!) from "Counter-Blast", on an "ooh" vowel too! Naturally, this is immediately followed by several sung D5s too.
    30. 8:24 - Roth's highest belted note to date: a short G♯5 yelp from "Weekend with the Babysitter".
    31. 8:29 - Some cool sung falsetto G♯5s from "You're No Good". These kinds of fifth octave falsetto screams were pretty common for Roth's early style.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-20-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

An awful lot of that "singing" is just Dave speaking in a low register over music. James Earl Jones and Boris Karloff ( The Grinch ) voices come to mind. The throat singing was a cool trick but gets a bit tired, kind of how Ed tapping is a tad borderline gimmicky after hearing it in so many fills over and over. Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler. His twitchiness reminds me of Tom Arnold, that fucker can't sit still and talk either.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    An awful lot of that "singing" is just Dave speaking in a low register over music. James Earl Jones and Boris Karloff ( The Grinch ) voices come to mind. The throat singing was a cool trick but gets a bit tired, kind of how Ed tapping is a tad borderline gimmicky after hearing it in so many fills over and over. Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler. His twitchiness reminds me of Tom Arnold, that fucker can't sit still and talk either.
    I accept your apology.*
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-21-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HpBHWUPa8Q

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler.
    How dare that man turn 60 and reveal how time has degraded his performance abilities. Shame on him!

You'll get no argument from me that Dave has made some odd singing/performing choices in recent years, but never in one million years would I expect him to pull off today, exactly what he did more than 30 years ago. That would be silly.

5. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

katina (04-21-2015)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Bridge I had that book , don't know where it went tho , some wife got it in a divorce or something

7. 2 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-21-2015),katina (04-21-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Not a single one of them "Throat Sing". Tyler is a screech in full voice and Halford is just full voice. Plant has never done it on record. Dio certainly did not. Lol Freddie Mercury singing "On Fire"...nope never heard him sing anything close. So no one on your two lists could do it, we would have heard them do it on record or in a concert ipso factso. Of course Current Steel Panther frontman can do the "throat sing" but if you notice, he cannot do the nuances that Dave Used to be able to do with it.
    You honestly say Dave had a better voice than Jon Oliva?. I think Dave had a great voice, but let's not fool ourselves. You say in your previous post "Name one other singer" then go on to name one yourself. Kind of undermines the point you are trying to make, no?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Bridge I had that book , don't know where it went tho , some wife got it in a divorce or something
    I think it was published out your way. Will check later. Has some great pictures.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    You honestly say Dave had a better voice than Jon Oliva?. I think Dave had a great voice, but let's not fool ourselves. You say in your previous post "Name one other singer" then go on to name one yourself. Kind of undermines the point you are trying to make, no?
    Had to look up who Jon Oliva was. I remember Savatage.

DB, you must be pissin' mad about how big that guy got. He's 3 Wolfgangs in 1!

11. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Dave's Bitch (04-22-2015)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Technique I mentioned and then said he could not sing exactly the same way. And I love Jon Oliva on "Last Night This Week" but did not know he fronted a rock band.

I accept your apology.*

Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-21-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVzAC7mLxJw

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    To be honest. I saw David Lee Roth as the toastmaster general of the immoral majority and the cheerleader of one big party. A lyrical and bullshit master more than a musician. Who wanted him to be a musician anyways? The rest of the band were that. Dave was the game show host and he was spot on taking that character in the Hot for Teacher video.

14. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (05-09-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post

I'd be lying if I said that didn't nearly make me spit out my coffee. Well played Bridge

16. Thanked Dave's Bitch for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-22-2015)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,398 Times in 6,055 Posts

She'll be fucking livid when she sees this.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Hey, all that talent's got to fit somewhere.

Jon Oliva gets a free pass - on EVERYTHING.

Can you name me ONE other person that can write about a melancholic song about a grinning monkey in New York? No, you can't. The concept is just way too fucking ridiculous to be anything other than a vaudevillian comedy. Yet he did it.

Of course, there's also the small fact that he was almost single-handedly keeping not one, but two bands afloat with his amazing songwriting, but that's just peanuts compared to the monkey business.

Cheers!

19. 2 users say thank you to Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Dave's Bitch (04-22-2015),DLR Bridge (04-22-2015)

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    She'll be fucking livid when she sees this.
    If you look closely, you can see the markings of his y fronts, on that picture.

Cheers!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    If you look closely, you can see the markings of his y fronts, on that picture.

Cheers!
    All due respect...but I don't want to look that close....

22. 2 users say thank you to fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-22-2015),ZahZoo (04-22-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    On the subject of Jon's weight

He has a good 30 years on Wolf, It would be a hell of a lot harder for Jon to slim down than for Wolf. Not at all a case of just eating clean and hitting the gym, that could potentially do more damage to Jon than good. He would need a very carefully planned diet and exercise routine to avoid putting strain on his heart.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,998 Posts

It would be a hell of a lot harder for Jon to slim down than for Wolf.
    Bullshit. Hypocrite!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On the subject of Jon's weight

He has a good 30 years on Wolf, It would be a hell of a lot harder for Jon to slim down than for Wolf. Not at all a case of just eating clean and hitting the gym, that could potentially do more damage to Jon than good. He would need a very carefully planned diet and exercise routine to avoid putting strain on his heart.
    Of course. There are lots of people who fit that bill. It's not necessarily a case of letting yourself go. It's like Cartman said, "I'm not fat. I'm big boned!" Anyone see Matthew Sweet lately? He's tripled in size. Being naturally large, thanks to your parents and your parents parents and so on, is something you don't just work off once. You've got to keep at it for forever. Certainly no easy task.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

David Lee Roth is the Pete Rose of music. Well, was.

27. Thanked BumBahDeeDah for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (04-22-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Of course. There are lots of people who fit that bill. It's not necessarily a case of letting yourself go. It's like Cartman said, "I'm not fat. I'm big boned!" Anyone see Matthew Sweet lately? He's tripled in size. Being naturally large, thanks to your parents and your parents parents and so on, is something you don't just work off once. You've got to keep at it for forever. Certainly no easy task.
    I'll say this though, I believe if Jon (or Wolf) really wanted to lose the weight he absolutely could. I honestly believe with the right mind set and motivation there is nothing you can't do with your body.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'll say this though, I believe if Jon (or Wolf) really wanted to lose the weight he absolutely could. I honestly believe with the right mind set and motivation there is nothing you can't do with your body.
    I don't know... I tried like hell to get my body to stay up drinkin all night after 50 without feeling like crap the following couple of days... Just can't do it. So I gave up...

30. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (04-22-2015)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I don't know... I tried like hell to get my body to stay up drinkin all night after 50 without feeling like crap the following couple of days... Just can't do it. So I gave up...
    6 more years...

32. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (04-22-2015)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    David Lee Roth is the Pete Rose of music. Well, was.
    Even Charlie Hustle slowed down a bit. Gettin' old is for the birds.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    All due respect...but I don't want to look that close....
    Why not? What's in Jon's y fronts that scares you so?

Cheers!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The only times I stayed up all night drinking and didn't have a debilitating hangover was when I did coke in the late 70s. In the early 80s they started cutting coke with all kinds of nasty shit that turned the euphoric buzz into a paranoid teeth gritting buzz that I didn't care for. I'd drink so much liquor to couteract that buzz I'd be totally worthless the next day. Quit doing anything but smoke and drink when I turned 30. I've drank too much a few times since then but I haven't gone to bed so drunk I got the spins or horked since then.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You're lucky. I can't even get my body to drink anymore. My liver just needs a fork in it - it's more than done.

I'm in the market for a new, hardly-used liver. If you know any health nuts who aren't using theirs, holler my way. We can do business.

Cheers!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    6 more years...
    Hahahahaha, LOZER!

Old fart. Mummy. You're over the hill, son. You ain't cool no' mo'. When the kids walk past you they say "Damn, homie. Lookit that old fogie. I hope I NEVAH reach dat age, nigga."

That's how kids talk these days. Of course, you being OLD, natcheral you don't know nuthin' 'bout it.

Yo.

Cheers!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I honestly believe with the right mind set and motivation there is nothing you can't do with your body.
    Well, I'm motivated, I just need to get you into the right mind set. We'll start with a couple of bottles of something.

Cheers!

39. Thanked Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (04-22-2015)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You ain't old until you put Grecian Formula on your pubes.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    The only times I stayed up all night drinking and didn't have a debilitating hangover was when I did coke in the late 70s. In the early 80s they started cutting coke with all kinds of nasty shit that turned the euphoric buzz into a paranoid teeth gritting buzz that I didn't care for. I'd drink so much liquor to couteract that buzz I'd be totally worthless the next day. Quit doing anything but smoke and drink when I turned 30. I've drank too much a few times since then but I haven't gone to bed so drunk I got the spins or horked since then.
    The days of being young and dumb. Ha! ha! If you survive and are smart about it later you get to be the old indian chief manipulating the younger dumb fucks who think they are smart than the old farts.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Those who never misspent their youth wasted their youth.

43. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (04-23-2015)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yup. I laying out a plan and doing it. If you don't know how to make a plan that works, plenty of people who do. Wolf lives in the heart of the entertainment business where looking good is everything. Them hills are loaded with some of the best personal trainers. He can afford one.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I really don't drink much anymore. Drank like a fish at ate 20.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Those who never misspent their youth wasted their youth.
    Ain't that the truth. And your 20s are meant to be one long blur. I couldn't imagine having a family and responsibilities back in my 20s.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cheers!
    It's not even the visual so much as the potential smell....

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

You fuckers sound like a bunch of quitters that never quite learned the art of 'crafting your buzz'.

49. 3 users say thank you to hambon4lif for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-22-2015),Nitro Express (04-23-2015),TwoFoolsAMinute (04-24-2015)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Ain't that the truth. And your 20s are meant to be one long blur. I couldn't imagine having a family and responsibilities back in my 20s.
    You get it out of your system. By the time you have real responsibilities you are ready for them later. I've seen so many people plan for this great retirement and then by the time they get there their health goes and all the plans were for nothing. No you need to have the fun in your youth saving it for retirement is stupid. All retired people do is worry about outliving their money and their health problems.

51. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (04-22-2015)

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I recommend day drinking for those close to or over 50.

53. Thanked VetteLS5 for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (04-22-2015)

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

download.jpg

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, I'm motivated, I just need to get you into the right mind set. We'll start with a couple of bottles of something.
    Chloroform?

Thread Information