X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    Sadly I agree. After the 12 tour I figured the bullshit dance floor and hand bullshit Vegas act and on and on other bullshit was just a faze. That's not even taking into consideration the bad singing. It wasn't a faze. He is back with all the bullshit again. I will always love the guy for being himself but the last few years he has been a parody of the guy he was. I think he just got old. If it's just pure laziness that's his fault and he deserves the slamming he has taken the last few years. This live album is a joke overall. Can't believe he thinks that show was worth putting out. Considering what seems like a ton of shows too choose from. Lazy and fucked !! The way Dave has acted as Van Halen's singer the last few years is sad. And that's the bad singing aside !! That might be part of his personality but he seemed too keep that stuff for his solo act. I wish him well on this tour and hope the fuck he fixes his voice but I'm kind of done with Van Halen in this day & age. If they do a new album in the next year or so and it's good great. I'm first in line !! But I think they should go away very soon though. A kick ass party band (song wise) shouldn't be up there doing it at 70. Bring Hag back for that shit !!! Van Halen news about releasing albums and touring should be exciting. It's not anymore. Not too me anyways. I think I'm not alone.
    Van Halen and David Lee Roth owe me nothing. They have done some dumb stuff but everyone does. They did what they did and I'm glad I was around when they did it. Thank goodness someone recorded it. Van Halen was a high powered band and Dave never could sing but he made up for it by giving us a show on and off stage. He was a master and look at what those guys pioneered. You had people trying to imitate Dave and Eddie but none of them could even come close. To this day I hear guys trying to play Eddie's stuff and they get part of it right but not all of it. There is only one Eddie Van Halen and he's not going to be around forever and he's playing well. IF you go to a show just to see Ed I get it. I went to a VH III show just to see Ed he played well that night. Glad I went.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      If ya think about it, he's not always like this. Is there any video to the Joe Rogan pod cast? If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was fast asleep while that Joe guy was yammering on about mixed-martial arts. Oddly enough, a subject I would've thought Dave would be all over. He was rather tame then, no?
      I know someone who grew up on VH like I did and his dad came down with Parkinson's disease. I asked him if he thought Dave had Parkinson's disease and he didn't think so. Dave isn't normal. Never was. I met Ted Nugent and he's one of those hyper active people as well. Ted ain't normal. I mean these guys went into rock and roll show business because frankly they probably wouldn't hold down an average working stiff's job. There's something high energy percolating in there trying to bust out and most people don't have it whatever it is. Dave said he used to go off hyperactive and his parents called it monkey hour and Dave said he turned monkey hour into a living. I think he's spot on. Now in his 60's it's hard to pull the monkey hour thing off.
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-20-2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Dan
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Dave Is "Crazy From The Heat".
        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• SunisinuS
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Van Halen and David Lee Roth owe me nothing. They have done some dumb stuff but everyone does. They did what they did and I'm glad I was around when they did it. Thank goodness someone recorded it. Van Halen was a high powered band and Dave never could sing but he made up for it by giving us a show on and off stage. He was a master and look at what those guys pioneered. You had people trying to imitate Dave and Eddie but none of them could even come close. To this day I hear guys trying to play Eddie's stuff and they get part of it right but not all of it. There is only one Eddie Van Halen and he's not going to be around forever and he's playing well. IF you go to a show just to see Ed I get it. I went to a VH III show just to see Ed he played well that night. Glad I went.

i am so sick of fucks (in general) with their "Dave never could sing" bullshit...it is like they never seen anything of what Dave Was capable of....bullshit. Dave in his prime would be my singer for any band of any style that played live.

NAME ANY FUCKING SINGER THAT COULD SING THIS AMAZING FROM 7:17 on: He fucking Attenuated the god damn mic! It could not handle the range. Dumb shit sloppy Clown Boy in his wildest imagination could not do what Dave does there.

Bollocks to any of you that tell me Dave could not and never could sing. Let's hear you tape the same sequence and hit the same notes. @taps foot. *FUCK YOU!

Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-20-2015, 04:12 AM. Reason: *Fucking Critics....from 3 minutes until the start is my favorite speech ever from Dave....FUCK YOU!
          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by SunisinuS

NAME ANY FUCKING SINGER THAT COULD SING THIS AMAZING FROM 7:17 on: .
                Steven Tyler, Jon Oliva, Rob Halford, Axl Rose, Michael Matijevic, Jeff Scott Soto, Sebastian Bach

I do agree with your point though, Dave did have a very good voice
                I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by fraroc
                  I've suspected this for a while but....Dave is obviously a HUGE ADHD case.
                  He's been that way his entire life. Dinner at the Roth home was called "monkey hour" because little Dave could never sit still.

But I believe that he does have an undiagnosed medical condition, possibly Parkinson's or other similar thing, that's causing all of the vibrating. Nobody at 60 can still be THAT amped up.
                  Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• private parts
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    We've talked about Parkinson's for a few years now, but didn't give it much thought....

So I re-watched this video, turned off the sound, and just watched Dave's hands.....

And I'm no expert, but that's really interesting....
                    I really hope there is nothing wrong with him, but man that left hand twitches like a motherfucker.
                    sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Heater
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                      Steven Tyler, Jon Oliva, Rob Halford, Axl Rose, Michael Matijevic, Jeff Scott Soto, Sebastian Bach

I do agree with your point though, Dave did have a very good voice
                      Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Paul Stanley, Geoff Tate, Ronnie James Dio......Dave is sadly not in that league any longer. He still laughs louder than anybody else at his own jokes though, so there's that.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Heater
                        Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Paul Stanley, Geoff Tate, Ronnie James Dio......Dave is sadly not in that league any longer. He still laughs louder than anybody else at his own jokes though, so there's that.

Not a single one of them "Throat Sing". Tyler is a screech in full voice and Halford is just full voice. Plant has never done it on record. Dio certainly did not. Lol Freddie Mercury singing "On Fire"...nope never heard him sing anything close. So no one on your two lists could do it, we would have heard them do it on record or in a concert ipso factso. Of course Current Steel Panther frontman can do the "throat sing" but if you notice, he cannot do the nuances that Dave Used to be able to do with it.

1. 0:00 - Some easy second octave singing from "Relentless", bottoming at E2.
                        2. 0:10 - An a cappella-style bass part bottoming at C♯2 from "No Big 'Ting".
                        3. 0:27 - A line of resonant C2s from "Counter-Blast", preceded by a yelped E♭5 and F♯5.
                        4. 0:34 - A really cool bassy passage from "Honeybabysweetiedoll", starting around F2 and trailing down to a few D2s, C2s and a short B1.
                        5. 0:48 - A rapped section down to B1 from the Urban NYC remix of "You're Breathin' It". It's surprising how well Roth pulls off this style!
                        6. 1:06 - Really strong sung B1s from "Let It All Hang Out", with casual E2s in between.
                        7. 1:28 - A neat spoken passage from "Slam Dunk!", reaching lots of strong B♭1s and a couple of short G♯1s.
                        8. 1:43 - An appearance by Roth on the program I Love the '90s, where he imitates Garth Brooks by singing "Friends in Low Places" down the octave, hitting a remarkably strong A1!
                        9. 1:50 - A long low passage from "If 6 Was 9", with lots of strong dips down to B♭1s and G♯1s, followed by a parlando that starts out around E♭2 and trails down to B1, before finally capping it all off with a line sung up to E♭5!
                        10. 2:53 - Some seriously sinister lows from "The Trouble with Never", reaching multiple G♯1s and a few short G1s. Roth sounds legitimately intimidating here!
                        11. 3:26 - Some beefy low singing down to G1 from "Tight".
                        12. 3:40 - A parlando from "Let It All Hang Out", starting out around some booming B1s and trailing down to multiple G♯1s, as well as touching on a couple of G1s and an F♯1!
                        13. 4:02 - Multiple A1s and a somewhat quiet but solid F♯1 from "Me Wise Magic"!
                        14. 4:22 - Roth's lowest note to date: an E1 from "Last Call"!
                        15. 4:29 - To start off the highs we have some tasteful singing up to A4 from "Tell the Truth", one of Roth's more emotional(!) songs.
                        16. 4:45 - Great jazzy singing up to some impressively supported A4s from "She's Lookin' Good". This is another style that Roth's voice suits very naturally.
                        17. 5:04 - Some MANIC singing up to B4 from "It's Showtime!". This is one song that really shows how much energy Roth can channel into a single performance!
                        18. 5:26 - Belted lines on C5 from "Me Wise Magic", followed by some cleanly sung A4s.
                        19. 5:40 - A strong Bâ™­4 with a D5 harmony, followed by an epic sustained C5 over an E5 in the backing vocal! From "Baby's on Fire".
                        20. 5:51 - Some really nice soulful singing on C♯5 from "Night Life", probably one of Roth's best vocal performances.
                        21. 6:05 - Belting up to C5 and D5 from "Big Train", with one short yelped F5.
                        22. 6:19 - Some cool singing between B4 and D5 from "Me Wise Magic", as well as a couple of short Eâ™­5s.
                        23. 6:45 - Intense belting up to Eâ™­5 from "Indeedido".
                        24. 7:08 - Entire lines on Eâ™­5 from the swing version of "Ice Cream Man"! This version of the song easily beats Van Halen rendition, in my opinion.
                        25. 7:15 - Better yet, here's an entire line belted on E5 from "Little Texas"! This is immediately followed by some singing up to C5 too, no less.
                        26. 7:23 - A strong sustained E5 from the ending of "Blacklight".
                        27. 7:30 - Crazy F5 wails from the ending of "She's My Machine". Almost reminds me of Robert Plant!
                        28. 7:54 - Solid F♯5s from the last chorus of "Slam Dunk!".
                        29. 8:10 - And now the big surprise: a sung G5(!) from "Counter-Blast", on an "ooh" vowel too! Naturally, this is immediately followed by several sung D5s too.
                        30. 8:24 - Roth's highest belted note to date: a short G♯5 yelp from "Weekend with the Babysitter".
                        31. 8:29 - Some cool sung falsetto G♯5s from "You're No Good". These kinds of fifth octave falsetto screams were pretty common for Roth's early style.
                        Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-20-2015, 03:14 PM.
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Heater
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Nov 2010

An awful lot of that "singing" is just Dave speaking in a low register over music. James Earl Jones and Boris Karloff ( The Grinch ) voices come to mind. The throat singing was a cool trick but gets a bit tired, kind of how Ed tapping is a tad borderline gimmicky after hearing it in so many fills over and over. Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler. His twitchiness reminds me of Tom Arnold, that fucker can't sit still and talk either.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • May 2010

An awful lot of that "singing" is just Dave speaking in a low register over music. James Earl Jones and Boris Karloff ( The Grinch ) voices come to mind. The throat singing was a cool trick but gets a bit tired, kind of how Ed tapping is a tad borderline gimmicky after hearing it in so many fills over and over. Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler. His twitchiness reminds me of Tom Arnold, that fucker can't sit still and talk either.
                            I accept your apology.*
                            Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-21-2015, 02:57 AM. Reason: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HpBHWUPa8Q

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Not taking away from what he did but it makes what he's capable of now that much paler.
                              How dare that man turn 60 and reveal how time has degraded his performance abilities. Shame on him!

You'll get no argument from me that Dave has made some odd singing/performing choices in recent years, but never in one million years would I expect him to pull off today, exactly what he did more than 30 years ago. That would be silly.

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

Bridge I had that book , don't know where it went tho , some wife got it in a divorce or something
                                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...