X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Nah, country just hides it better, because the Nashville corporate establishment has pretty much always had a stranglehold over that industry, to some extent. Sure you have your exceptions - Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr and III (not BoShitFaced!), Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, etc. who were capable of writing their own stuff and determining what musical path they wanted to take, but for the most part the country scene is... writers in this barn, singers in that barn, and even with somebody as mega successful as Garth Brooks, the guys you take on the road with you to sold out arenas ain't the ones who play on the records, you're stuck with the session musicians whom the producer wants to use.

Hell, what's the difference between Rascal Flatts and the Backstreet Boys? Other than twangy guitars, not much.
    Can't disagree with that. And it's not a new thing either. Olivia Newton John is a good example. Most people don't know that she was the country Top Female Vocalist at one time. Of course, the industry people and a lot of artists nearly had strokes and even boycotted the awards show. Just goes to show that being the "best" country singer or group isn't all that hard. Not that she wasn't/isn't an amazing talent. She IS. And the hottest chick to have ever walked the planet and I would still - sorry, I get all carried away.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Anonymous
      Banned
      • May 2004

Nah, country just hides it better, because the Nashville corporate establishment has pretty much always had a stranglehold over that industry, to some extent. Sure you have your exceptions - Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr and III (not BoShitFaced!), Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, etc. who were capable of writing their own stuff and determining what musical path they wanted to take, but for the most part the country scene is... writers in this barn, singers in that barn, and even with somebody as mega successful as Garth Brooks, the guys you take on the road with you to sold out arenas ain't the ones who play on the records, you're stuck with the session musicians whom the producer wants to use.

Hell, what's the difference between Rascal Flatts and the Backstreet Boys? Other than twangy guitars, not much.
      I have no idea why Zahzoo said country music kept its roots. Maybe he forgot that he posted this on another website himself! Old age...

Hides it better? Well, only if, like me, you don't usually listen to it.

Cheers!

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
        Well, neither do I. I want to be wrong. I yearn to be wrong. I hope to be proven wrong every single day of my life.

But I never am. Which means that things ARE as bad as I think they are.

Maybe someday I WILL be wrong. We will all be very happy that day.

Cheers!
        Could be worse. You could be poor. Or poor and unattractive.

Comment

• Anonymous
          Banned
          • May 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          Could be worse. You could be poor. Or poor and unattractive.
          Well, I'm not wealthy by any definition, but I eat out every day, got my own apartment & car all paid for & I still have some left each month for small luxuries like trann... train miniatures & hookers.

I'm also somewhat good looking & I have a decent size dick.

I guess that's why I'm laughing most of the time. If I sound bitter, it's because my choice of comedy is bitterness & depression. That's what gets the most larfs out of me. That & gay stereotypes on British comedies. Can't get enough of it!

Cheers!

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Well, I'm not wealthy by any definition, but I eat out every day, got my own apartment & car all paid for & I still have some left each month for small luxuries like trann... train miniatures & hookers.
            You'd never fit in here in The New America. Nobody can have more money or stuff than other people. Unless you steal said stuff from another person who used this thing called money to buy it. Then it's ok to have alotta stuff.

And cars are bad for the planet. What, do you think this is 1985 or something?

Comment

• Anonymous
              Banned
              • May 2004

You'd never fit in here in The New America. Nobody can have more money or stuff than other people. Unless you steal said stuff from another person who used this thing called money to buy it. Then it's ok to have alotta stuff.

And cars are bad for the planet. What, do you think this is 1985 or something?
              I'm sorry. I'll just run off to a message board about an old, creepy singer & preach global warming to everyone. That will make up for my car bringing about the destruction of Earth, right?

Cheers!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

I'm sorry. I'll just run off to a message board about an old, creepy singer & preach global warming to everyone. That will make up for my car bringing about the destruction of Earth, right?

Cheers!
                Yes. And then we'll throw a hate white rally!

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Ever seen a grown man naked?

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have no idea why Zahzoo said country music kept its roots. Maybe he forgot that he posted this on another website himself! Old age...

Cheers!
                      Same roots... same weed patch.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Yes. And then we'll throw a hate white rally!

I hate white people. The ones who whine and complain about everything. They should all be beat with a sand wedge.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Nashville is just another who you know and who you blow town. There is no country music anymore. Country music was fiddles, banjos, and guitars and people who really could play them them things and some very well. Blues, country, blue grass it's all folk music. Shit you would burn time doing while the still percolated out white lightning. Then it became producer made pop and ghost musicians and now with the recording industry in chaos that's even going. Who knows where it will end up. Probably still some people playing banjos somewhere but nobody give a shit because nobody is marketing it but you can see it on YouTube.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Nashville is just another who you know and who you blow town. There is no country music anymore. Country music was fiddles, banjos, and guitars and people who really could play them them things and some very well. Blues, country, blue grass it's all folk music. Shit you would burn time doing while the still percolated out white lightning. Then it became producer made pop and ghost musicians and now with the recording industry in chaos that's even going. Who knows where it will end up. Probably still some people playing banjos somewhere but nobody give a shit because nobody is marketing it but you can see it on YouTube.
                            Look up Sturgill Simpson.. Probably the most 'old school' new country artist.. I'm a fan.
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Cheers!
                              God, that's even better than when a local country station (no longer in existence) made a mashup of Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine" and Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (both overproduced by Mutt Lange, of course)
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• CVH Rulz
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jun 2005

Common sense would say they will play something everyone knows. I hope it is not Jump, but probably will be Panama or HFT.

Comment

Working...