X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
    Aw, you're just saying that. I bet you say that to all the psychopaths. Go on, though.

I know these discussions always become personal. That is precisely my point. Your average "adult" nowadays is nothing more than a tall child. And the more mature they think they are, the more childish they behave. It's beautiful, in a terrifying, depressing way.

Cheers!
    Yes, this sadly does summarize the adult mentality of this country.

Hit the nail right on the fucking head.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• cadaverdog
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      We can only pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that the rising water level doesn't make the alligators move into trailer home parks driven into a furious rampage by the sound of out of tune guitars...
      We don't have as many "trailer home parks" in Louisiana as you might think. Land is relatively cheap and code enforcement here is practically non existant unless somebody's getting greased. If the king lives in a trailer it's probably on a piece of property in the boondocks.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

• jacksmar
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I never was but I could be baited on the non science thing. The proper format for these threads is

a) Find a climate change denial post on the internet and present it as fact. The more wacko and obscure the author the better. The best are ones from some guru who is into tantric levitation or some shit or sells brain vitamins.

b) If anyone disagrees skip their point and go straight to abuse. Call them a stupid cunt or something. A fucking moron is good too. Maybe throw in a line about their kids being retarded as well.

c) Get someone else to post that it was cold in their town last Tuesday so how can that be global warming.

d) Finally finish the thread saying you don't care about it anyway, Al Gore has a private jet and this website is shit.
        nope....wrong......................

>>Here's what happened. ABC News 20/20 with Stossel wanted me to be part
        >>of a segment that will air at the end of June on the climate change
        >>issue. Specifically the piece will be dealing with the alarmist
        >>rhetoric that tends to be found in the media. I am more than happy to
        >>talk about that because I've been very disappointed with what has gone
        >>on even with respect to some of the IPCC elders and their pronouncements
        >>for forthcoming disasters.
        >>
        >>In one of the pre-interviews they asked about the "Hockey Stick". I
        >>told them of my doubts about the intercentury precision of the record,
        >>especially the early part, and that other records suggested the period
        >>1000 years ago was warmer. I remember saying that "you must give the
        >>author credit for including the large error bars for that time series in
        >>the figure." I also specifically said that the most precise record of
        >>century scale precision, Greenland Borehole temps, was very important to
        >>note but that the figure was not in the IPCC. I then looked quickly at
        >>the IPCC reference list and saw the citation of Dahl-Jensen and assumed
        >>that it was at least commented on in the 1000 year time series material
        >>and told ABC as much.
        >>
        >>ABC called back a few days later and said they couldn't find a reference
        >>to the Greenland stuff in the IPCC discussion of the past 1000 years.
        >>So I read the final version, and ABC was right.
        A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• jacksmar
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I said this was an
          >>omission that should not have happened - and that I take part of the
          >>blame because I had mentioned it at each of our Lead Author meetings.
          >>
          >>Last Thursday night, I was one of the guys flown to NY City for the
          >>taping of the show. There was only one question on this particular
          >>issue (it was even after Stossel had left the room) and I gave much the
          >>same answer as I indicated above (as best as I can remember)- that the
          >>"Hockey Stick" (I don't think I used the term "Hockey Stick", and I'm
          >>almost positive I did not mention your name at any point) is one
          >>realization of temperatures but that other data are not included and
          >>that I had thought the "other" data were clearly mentioned in the IPCC,
          >>but weren't. I mentioned the large error bars (as a credit to you) and
          >>that I was partly to blame for this omission. If they use my remark,
          >>they could slice and dice it to make it as provocative as possible.

Comment

• jacksmar
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

>>Four of us were taped for almost 2 hours, and from this they will select
            >>about 8 minutes, so I doubt my remarks will make the show. When Stossel
            >>came back in after all was said and done, he said to me that I might be
            >>a good scientist but I didn't have the emotion and passion necessary to
            >>excite the audience. In one way, that is a compliment I suppose. I
            >>think Pat M. will have a good chunk of air time (I don't remember
            >>whether he added any comments on the 1000-year time series, but he may
            >>have).
            >>

Comment

• jacksmar
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

>>Whatever is shown, just keep it in context. There is no way a clear
              >>scientific point with all the caveats and uncertainties can come across
              >>in such venues. However, I do agree with Stossel's premise (though I
              >>don't know what the piece will actually look like so I may be
              >>disappointed) that the dose of climate change disasters that have been
              >>dumped on the average citizen is designed to be overly alarmist and
              >>could lead us to make some bad policy decisions. (I've got a good story
              >>about the writers of the TIME cover piece a couple of months ago that
              >>proves they were not out to discuss the issue but to ignore science and
              >>influence government.)
              >>

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

You know, this was supposed to be a thread for intelligent discussion.

Instead, you're just copy-pasting stuff & you don't even have the decency to clean up the text & format it in an easy to read manner.

Do you seriously expect someone to give of their own time to read what you copy paste when you can't even be arsed to clean it up?

If it's not worth the trouble to post decently, it's not worth reading. Congratulations on self-defeating the points you didn't even try to make.

Cheers!

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

You know, this was supposed to be a thread for intelligent discussion.

Instead, you're just copy-pasting stuff & you don't even have the decency to clean up the text & format it in an easy to read manner.

Do you seriously expect someone to give of their own time to read what you copy paste when you can't even be arsed to clean it up?

If it's not worth the trouble to post decently, it's not worth reading. Congratulations on self-defeating the points you didn't even try to make.

Cheers!
                  Agreed...
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Maybe he was just giving an example of what not to do...

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      Yes, this sadly does summarize the adult mentality of this country.

Hit the nail right on the fucking head.
                      Terry, my friend. Usually, the only fault I find with your posts, is that there's not enough of them.

However, much as it pains me, I must disagree with you on this. Were it that this behaviour was confined within the borders of your frankly hilarious country, but no. All over the world, the average adult is becoming more & more infantile.

What spurred this on, I cannot say. Maybe it's the result of a couple of generations educated solely by television? The widespread usage of the internet & becoming more & more reliant on nanny states have quite probably helped.

I certainly read enough articles discussing what videogames & films are teaching the youth. Let me rephrase that. It's considered normal to discuss with a straight face, the educating aspects of ENTERTAINMENT. And THAT, in itself, is scarier than anything else.

There's no responsibility. Nobody wants to be held accountable. Everyone shifts blame & hopes it sticks.

You know. Just like children in the playground.

Cheers!

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Well, it was a damn fine example. I can't think of anything else he could've done wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to read his thoughts on the subject. Emphasis on HIS THOUGHTS. Not his half-assed copy-pastes.

C'mon Jack. It's time we raise the bar on this shithole. Let's play PROPERLY.

My goal is to by the end of this year have everyone wearing argyle sweaters, horn rimmed glasses & smoking pipes while having entertaining & informative discussions.

And if, god forbid, someone gets drunk, please do try to be as off-topic & random as possible, so we can all have a good laugh.

Cheers!

Comment

• jacksmar
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Well, it was a damn fine example. I can't think of anything else he could've done wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to read his thoughts on the subject. Emphasis on HIS THOUGHTS. Not his half-assed copy-pastes.

C'mon Jack. It's time we raise the bar on this shithole. Let's play PROPERLY.

My goal is to by the end of this year have everyone wearing argyle sweaters, horn rimmed glasses & smoking pipes while having entertaining & informative discussions.

And if, god forbid, someone gets drunk, please do try to be as off-topic & random as possible, so we can all have a good laugh.

Cheers!
                            Shit...you just gave away my garb at the library desk, you bastard! Yet, you left out the brown sport coat with black patches on the sleeves, which is surprising for a man of your attention to detail.

You can not imagine how such subtle things can disarm folks...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              Shit...you just gave away my garb at the library, you bastard! Yet, you left out the brown sport coat with black patches on the sleeves, which is surprising for a man of your attention to detail.
                              Hey, it's almost summer down here. I can't even THINK about jackets at a time like this. It's t-shirt & shorts times!

Cheers!

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

Hey, it's almost summer down here. I can't even THINK about jackets at a time like this. It's t-shirt & shorts times!

Cheers!
                                Welcome to my world...the a/c in the reference section is on it's last legs, so Parks and Rec have cranked up every other place in the building to compensate. Yer tongue turns into a popsicle after an hour, and two hours later, yer feet turn into planks of ice-coated sheet rock. Oh, the joy...then go outside as yer glasses fog up in distress.

And I'm bitching about this...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...